Has anyone been told , no sharing on DDP? Where were you allowed to share?

Tigger1

DIS Veteran
If you were not allowed to share, where at? If you could share, please share were you dined.

Thaks Tigger

Tigger1 said:
If you were not allowed to share, where at? If you could share, please share were you dined.

Thaks Tigger

At this point as long as you are not using child entitlements to purchase an adult meal, and are not feeding guests not on the plan, or trying to feed more adults than is listed on your card, I truly do not think you will have any problems.

My understanding from friends that work at Disney, is those issues listed above are what they are trying to rein in.

If you are allowed to share within in your family by purchasing a meal OOP, you should be able to do the same with your plan, that is only fair. Of course buffet meals and character meals and all you can eat such WCC, do not allow sharing.

So as long as you follow those guidelines you should be fine. Enjoy your trip.

I am confused about this sharing thing. my dd 16 is not a big eater usually will only eat an appetizer. If we go to a ts and I order my appetizer from my meal plan credit I can't give it to her. I would have to use her whole credit just for an appetizer I am entitled to anyway???
I know about the buffets and such that makes sense!

If she is on the plan then yes you can give her your appetizer.It's only no sharing if the people arent on the paln anyway.but yes you can share .

Tigger1 said:

Thaks Tigger

Does anyone have any personal experience they can comment on. Everyone seems to be discussing suppositions and understandings. How about something concrete?

punkin said:
Does anyone have any personal experience they can comment on. Everyone seems to be discussing suppositions and understandings. How about something concrete?

The no sharing talk is coming from CMs and emails from Disney. I don't think anyone has posted having any problems sharing. Some threads talk about tipping servers extra. Certainly seems appropriate if the waiter has the meal split in the kitchen. Some threads talk ask if Disney is entitled to restrict sharing. Is there a business reason to restrict sharing? The cost in restaurant resources for a family of 4 that uses 2 credits in order to double the number of meals they eat is almost doubled vs that same family using 4 credit at one meal. The restaurant capacity has been effectively cut in half.

I haven't read any posts from a guest who wasn't allowed to share a meal that isn't otherwise shareable.

Every so often a poster wants to know why they can't share a buffet but that's not what we're talking about.

A few posters want to share so they can treat others who are not on the plan later in their trip. Ordering more meals than you have credits has been an issue in some restaurants. The issue isn't sharing but rather ordering 4A meals if the card says 2A meals.

I recently posted a link to a post indicating a guest for whom such a restriction was applied -- it was at Yachtsman Steakhouse. I'll see if I can find it again.

---

Here it is: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1124492

Here are the relevant portions:
Warning - NOT allowed to use available dining credits at Yachtman Steakhouse

DISCLAIMER - this post is not intended as a renewal of the "can you use child credits" debate, but I did want to share our recent experience, which was not consistent with the reported allowed uses of the dining plan here on the DisBoards.

It was our last night at WDW and we had planned a special evening at Yachstman Steakhouse. Our party for the DDP was 3 adults and 1 child, and we invited my best friend along for the dinner as well (who was not staying at Disney and not on the dining plan). I had meticulously saved up credits during our 8 day stay in order to have the 8 credits that we would need for 4 adults to dine at Yachstman. With the amount of food that we would get, I figured that my young son could eat off of our plates or we could order a child's meal for him and pay OOP. I had specifically paid OOP for several adult meals at Boma earlier in the week so that we would have enough credits for this meal at Yachtman to cover our meals and my friend's meal.

When the bill came, our server told us that she could not let us use the dining plan for 4 adults because our room key said "3 A, 1 Ch" - the room key indicates how many people are in your registered party, but as far as I know this is not a restriction on how your dining credits may be used). I asked her to check with her manager. The manager came out and told us that his restaurant is "audited" and that what we were trying to do was use a "child's credit" for an adult meal and that he would NOT allow us to do that. ...
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1124492

maybe part of the problem is that I don't think what the people in bicker's example tried to do is covered under "sharing" as described by Lewisc.

Bear in mind that the incident bicker correctly cites is a situation where a DDP participant was trying to treat someone who was not on the DDP.

That is a very different scenario from ptmmg's question. I'm sure ptmmg would have no problem sharing as they described. There have been numerous threads detailing extensive recent use of that type of sharing.

JimMIA said:
Bear in mind that the incident bicker correctly cites is a situation where a DDP participant was trying to treat someone who was not on the DDP.

That is a very different scenario from ptmmg's question.

Not just was that person "not on the DDP", but that person was a 4th ADULT. When the room card showed that there were only 3 ADULTS on the plan, along with a child.

IT also sounds like the post That bicker showed us that the family was using the childs meal all week as an adult meal.

I hope guest using child meals as adults do not ruin it for others.

Tigger

The dining plan is non transferable. Disney cannot currently tell if its an adult credit or a child credit, but give the waitstaff credit for being able to count people over the age of 10 at the table and see that four adults are not three adults.

You can't "treat others" on the plan. You may be able to share your meal, what you certainly can't do is share your credits.

Tigger1 said:
IT also sounds like the post That bicker showed us that the family was using the childs meal all week as an adult meal.

Tigger

Very well said.

Kae

JimMIA said:
That is a very different scenario from ptmmg's question. I'm sure ptmmg would have no problem sharing as they described. There have been numerous threads detailing extensive recent use of that type of sharing.
Absolutely. However, as long as there is no separation of child and adult credits, there is an ongoing concern that some CMs and/or restaurants will simplify their efforts to enforce the rules by applying wholesale restrictions. Guests should hope for the best and be prepared for the worst.

Tigger said:
I hope so too.

We've shared meals at several WDW restaurants, including Sci-fi, Le Cellier, Tony's and Mama Melrose. I let the waiter or waitress know upfront we were on the DDP and we'd be splitting a couple of meals between 3 people (all adults, as far as Disney is concerned) and each was helpful, pleasant and professional about it. Even splitting 2 meals 3 ways it was more than enough food and we either didn't finish some desserts or we took them to go.

Ok, I've read numerous threads about sharing and to be honest, I don't see what the big deal is. Aside from the whole "using child credits for adult meals" debate, what is the difference if you use one credit at one restaurant and share and then use a second credit at a second restaurant and share. You're still just getting 2 meals. It's the same amount of food, just eaten by 2 people instead of 1. I just don't understand what the big deal is. I think its a bigger deal to waste a bunch of food if you know you cannot eat that much. It seems like a good way to get to experience a variety of restaurants that we normally wouldn't get to. And for Disney's advantage, having experienced some new places, we might want to eat there again the next time we come.

dsnymomof4 said:
Ok, I've read numerous threads about sharing and to be honest, I don't see what the big deal is. Aside from the whole "using child credits for adult meals" debate, what is the difference if you use one credit at one restaurant and share and then use a second credit at a second restaurant and share. You're still just getting 2 meals. It's the same amount of food, just eaten by 2 people instead of 1. I just don't understand what the big deal is. I think its a bigger deal to waste a bunch of food if you know you cannot eat that much. It seems like a good way to get to experience a variety of restaurants that we normally wouldn't get to. And for Disney's advantage, having experienced some new places, we might want to eat there again the next time we come.
One of the problems with this discussion is that there are at least three completely different behaviors described as "sharing."

One is using a child's credit to buy an adult meal -- not permitted. Another is using DDP credits to "treat" persons who are not DDP participants -- not permitted.

The third is what you describe, two or more people who are DDP participants sharing among themselves, using appropriate credits. That has been permitted in the past. We've seen some CM emails that say "No sharing, period" but I have not seen any examples of people being told they can't do what you described.

That is actually the entire point of OP's thread -- we know what CMs tell people...has anyone actually had a problem doing this? So far, no affirmative responses.

Because this is what I hope to do in August when we go, I have been on this board watching carefully, trying to take it all in, speak my mind occasionally...when I am so moved by the discussion.

posted by Lewisc
...The cost in restaurant resources for a family of 4 that uses 2 credits in order to double the number of meals they eat is almost doubled vs that same family using 4 credit at one meal. The restaurant capacity has been effectively cut in half.
I do not entirely disagree because, in fact, sharing does create a bit more work for the CM. I will add more to the tip when I do this in Disney, as I always do when I do this at home. However, the DDP, by design, creates more work for the CM. We NEVER all order apps and desserts, I mean never. So for our family of six that is alot of orders to take, deliver, follow-up with and clear. As I understand it, the included tip w/DDP is a % of what the bill is, correct? Well if we go with 4 meals, w/ all that goes along, I can assure you the total will be more than if we went w/out DDP and didn't "share." So basically I feel like the 6 of us are going to take up 6 spaces at a lot of the TS places, (certainly not all, as we don't usually do a sit-down every night, but most) anyway; and with DDP or without DDP the total would end up being about the same.
NOTE: Of course, I am referencing non buffet/all-you-can-eat options.

That is actually the entire point of OP's thread -- we know what CMs tell people...has anyone actually had a problem doing this? So far, no affirmative responses.
That's not actually the case. The OP asked: "If you were not allowed to share, where at?" The OP didn't specify any of the three types of sharing you outlined. There are people who have been "not allowed to share" specifically with regard to the first two of the three sharing scenarios you outlined ("using a child's credit to buy an adult meal" and "using DDP credits to 'treat' persons who are not DDP participants"), specifically, for example, the thread related to Yachtsman Steakhouse that I mentioned yesterday.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter