Hard Rock or Other Hotel in 2023

SnoopyDancer

Mouseketeer
Hi! We are taking our teenage nephew to Universal in 2023. We haven't been since 2017 when we stayed at RPR. I liked RPR, but I remember wishing we had stayed at the HRH because it was so close to the parks. I remember thinking how nice it would be take a short break at the hotel without the long wait to get back to RPR. Any advice or other options to consider like Portofino? Thanks!

I travel with teen boys. We stayed at Portofino several years ago, then last year I chose HRH. I wanted to be closer to the parks and thought they would like the "cool" atmosphere at HRH. I loved the proximity to the parks, but the boys both asked to go back to PFB because they like the pool better. So we are staying at PFB in a few weeks.

Thank you all for your input! I know my nephew will be happy with either hotel, so I'm just being indecisive. The good news is that it sounds like you can't go wrong with either option.

@djmeredith, that's good info. Proximity is the big draw for me, but it's probably because I remember how hot it was the last time we went & how I wished that our hotel was closer. I hope y'all enjoy your trip!

@Grumpy92, was there anything that tipped the scales to Portofino for you? It looks beautiful and a lot more relaxing than the Hard Rock.

@dez1978, it sounds like y'all had a blast! Do you think you took more breaks from the park since the hotel was so close?

@maggymd, was there anything in particular that won you over to the Hard Rock?

For me, personally, I'd not choose any of the 3 Premier hotels based on how long the walk is. First, you are talking about a couple of minutes difference which really isn't much. Second, if you are at IOA, you'll have a longer walk to HRH than to RPR. So your walk won't always be shorter. When we are tired and its hot, we use the water taxis more anyway. Third, we look at the theme, hotel amenities and cost difference as being more important to us. PBR has the largest rooms, most pools, the only onsite SPA facilities. RPR is usually the least expensive and we like the wide variety of food options there best. All three have very different themes.

Over the last couple of decades, we have tried all 3 Premier hotels and figured out what which we like the best. For us, the answer is it depends on that trip's budget, our party size and makeup, time of year, length of stay, and finally just which hotel amenities we think will be most important during that particular trip. If you have plans for many future Universal stays, why not try out all three to see which one fits your needs/desires the best.

Thank you all for your input! I know my nephew will be happy with either hotel, so I'm just being indecisive. The good news is that it sounds like you can't go wrong with either option.

@djmeredith, that's good info. Proximity is the big draw for me, but it's probably because I remember how hot it was the last time we went & how I wished that our hotel was closer. I hope y'all enjoy your trip!

@Grumpy92, was there anything that tipped the scales to Portofino for you? It looks beautiful and a lot more relaxing than the Hard Rock.

@dez1978, it sounds like y'all had a blast! Do you think you took more breaks from the park since the hotel was so close?

@maggymd, was there anything in particular that won you over to the Hard Rock?

I liked the pool bar area. Lot of seats under shade. Music at the pool. I think there is a better choice of food items for lunch. Breakfast buffet was great. Nice walk to parks. I did stay club level at both. Portofino definitely had a better selection. The rooms were also nicer. I just didn’t like the size of the resort. Both are nice, I just liked the Hard Rock more.

I just returned from HRH and the proximity, especially in the heat and with an 11 year old, was priceless! She enjoyed the pool and I thought the grounds were very well kept, while the "soft product" could probably do with a refresh (dated and some staining on the gray carpet in public areas) it was really no biggie. I prefer walking everywhere so the proximity makes it the most convenient and our "go to" resort at USO.

Not trying to hijack this post, but I have a related question - when can you book rooms for 2023? I'm looking at September 2023 and June 2023 to take advantage of an annual pass. When I look now I can check the dates but only crazy suites for 1600 a night show up, except RPR shows regular rooms but for like 600 a night. Just looking for advice for those who like to book very much in advance.

I stayed at HRH in September and just returned from PFB, and I prefer HRH. The rooms are a little bit bigger and nicer at PFB, but the extremely long waits for boats at PFB negates that difference. It was so nice at HRH to have a very short walk to the hotel at the end of the night rather than waiting for the boats (one night took an hour).

Not trying to hijack this post, but I have a related question - when can you book rooms for 2023? I'm looking at September 2023 and June 2023 to take advantage of an annual pass. When I look now I can check the dates but only crazy suites for 1600 a night show up, except RPR shows regular rooms but for like 600 a night. Just looking for advice for those who like to book very much in advance.
You used to be able to book a Savvy Traveler rate a year out, but not anymore. With all the pent up travel demand and Disney folks coming over to Universal, they have no need right now to offer these former deals. Some people will pay rack rate and still think they're getting a break compared to Disney prices. Loews might as well make money while they can and save the deals for when travel demand decreases.
I'm looking at May 2023 and my preferred HRH is only offering suites and up, whereas I used to be able to book a Garden View 2 Queen with a Savvy Traveler rate a year out and did this for many years pre pandemic. RPR has only expensive high end suites as well. PBH has some regular rooms at ST rates so I grabbed one for now, although I prefer a closer hotel. PBH traditionally has the most expensive rooms, so they will offer deals to try and fill them first. Loews will have no problems filling all the rooms at RPR and HRH so it will probably be awhile before we see Savvy Traveler deals in those two properties. I'm keeping a lookout though!

I booked for June 2023 back in early March and was able to get a savvy traveler rate at RPR for $394/nt. I think those rates are gone already.

Stay at the HRH if location is most important. I my opinion, it's the only thing going for it. In terms of ranking strictly hotel and amenities only, the HRH would rank far behind PBR, RPR, and SF in my opinion. I just returned and it is loud and extremely worn. The furniture in the King Suite we stayed in was in poor condition and my kids hated the pull out couch. They are still young and have never complained about sleeping on a pull out ever. I may stay there again only due to the location but I will never spend extra money on a suite. It was roomy, but not very nice and the bathroom is the smallest and most poorly equipted we've had in over 20 years of traveling. I've stayed in suites in 4 other Uni hotels and ths room was far behind all the others, even CBBR. which was cute as a button.

We just got back from HRH and we absolutely loved it. My kidsa are 8 & 11, and they really liked the pool and how close it was to everything.
Can you tell me how much the roof works affected your stay ? Is the scaffolding large and going to ruin pictures ? I also heard they are redoing the kitchen. Has this work been completed ?
Thanks

We have stayed at both and like hrh better. Much more our speed. Portofino felt too fancy for us and we just felt out of place. 🤷‍♀️ But it was beautiful!
A good way of putting it.

my thot - most teenage boys would be more attuned to vibe at HRH. Although my ’lil darlings, now grown, still prefer PBH for the ritzy vibe…as long as it’s on my dime ;)

Can you tell me how much the roof works affected your stay ? Is the scaffolding large and going to ruin pictures ? I also heard they are redoing the kitchen. Has this work been completed ?
Thanks
I never even noticed honestly. But I'm not taking pics of the hotel either. I couldn't really even tell you where the scaffolding was. The kitchen was not done yet, but this was 3 weeks ago, so idk about now

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter