Happily Ever After Begins Here -- An Oct. 2012 TR Updated! 11/17!

DSC_1132-L.jpg
I am really enjoying this report. Thanks for sharing. And Franklin, what settings did you use for the TOT picture! I've never seen such a clear picture here.... and it's now a goal for me!

Ah, this one. It was taken on this trip (though we haven't reached that chapter yet). The key factors in taking a dark photo like this are, a lens with a wide aperture and a high ISO setting.

I used the 50mm f/1.4 lens on my Nikon D600. It's a full frame camera, so cropped sensor cameras should used something like a 35mm lens. I was still back in the line, before you get put on the numbers for the elevator. The aperture was set to f/2.0, though it should have been at f/1.4. Oh well. I was using manual mode and set the shutter speed to 1/50th of a second. At that shutter speed, with that lens, I would be able to hand hold that shot without being blurry. Then I needed to set the ISO to get the proper exposure. Using the light meter in the camera, I set it at 6400 ISO. For most cameras, 6400 ISO is too high and may be very fuzzy looking. I would recommend going with an f/1.4 lens and using ISO 3200. Unfortunately, an f/2.8 lens is still not enough, since that would put the ISO at 12,800. It is very dark in there.

For post processing I shoot in RAW format and use Lightroom. Getting the shot right in the camera first, makes editing the photos much easier afterwards. I definitely corrected the white balance since it's very dim, warm lighting. I went with 2100K, and still left it a bit warm. The exposure was also increased nearly 2 stops, but I also pulled down the highlights -60. I added some noise reduction, but it looks too soft for me now. I'm never satisfied. :lmao:

here's the original photo, before processing.
DSC_1132_orig-M.jpg

Ah, this one. It was taken on this trip (though we haven't reached that chapter yet). The key factors in taking a dark photo like this are, a lens with a wide aperture and a high ISO setting.

I used the 50mm f/1.4 lens on my Nikon D600. It's a full frame camera, so cropped sensor cameras should used something like a 35mm lens. I was still back in the line, before you get put on the numbers for the elevator. The aperture was set to f/2.0, though it should have been at f/1.4. Oh well. I was using manual mode and set the shutter speed to 1/50th of a second. At that shutter speed, with that lens, I would be able to hand hold that shot without being blurry. Then I needed to set the ISO to get the proper exposure. Using the light meter in the camera, I set it at 6400 ISO. For most cameras, 6400 ISO is too high and may be very fuzzy looking. I would recommend going with an f/1.4 lens and using ISO 3200. Unfortunately, an f/2.8 lens is still not enough, since that would put the ISO at 12,800. It is very dark in there.

For post processing I shoot in RAW format and use Lightroom. Getting the shot right in the camera first, makes editing the photos much easier afterwards. I definitely corrected the white balance since it's very dim, warm lighting. I went with 2100K, and still left it a bit warm. The exposure was also increased nearly 2 stops, but I also pulled down the highlights -60. I added some noise reduction, but it looks too soft for me now. I'm never satisfied. :lmao:

here's the original photo, before processing.
DSC_1132_orig-M.jpg

Wow! Thank you for all that information. I will definitely be leaving my camera out a little longer next time. I have a 30mm 1.4, so that's what I'll keep on the camera (I kept my 2.8 most of the time last trip) for ToT. Thanks again for sharing your knowledge. :)

Congratulations on your engagement!!! I hope to find a guy who can put up with my disney addiction too! lol!! What kind of camera did he use? Those photos turned out amazing (sorry if you already posted the answer, I looked and didn't see it)

Thanks Emmy! I feel pretty lucky to have found a Disney-loving Prince Charming. princess:

Missy - love your drawing of Jiminy Cricket! You should def frame it! I can't wait to see your engagement ring (did I miss that somehow yet?)

Thanks! The funny thing about that drawing is I thought it looked TERRIBLE when I looked at it right after the class (I've never had a lick of artistic talent), but when I pulled out the drawing a couple of weeks later, I realized it actually was pretty good! :lmao:

Someone on the Theme Parks board gave me a great idea for our Animation Academy drawings, I got a wide scrap book that will hold all the drawings so we'll have them all in one place!

David and his new "crush"

IMG_1186.jpg

I mean it's not me right? He looks like he thinks she's all that...:lmao:

Love your Studio Plans... RnRC... Tot, TSM = Good stuff...:thumbsup2

& I LOVE Animation Academy not enough people take advantage of it...such a cool opportunity and a lot of fun...

I think you will be great in January... I'll bet you do lots of walk ons...;)

David and his new "crush"

IMG_1186.jpg

I mean it's not me right? He looks like he thinks she's all that...:lmao:

Love your Studio Plans... RnRC... Tot, TSM = Good stuff...:thumbsup2

& I LOVE Animation Academy not enough people take advantage of it...such a cool opportunity and a lot of fun...

I think you will be great in January... I'll bet you do lots of walk ons...;)

I loooooove that picture! It's so freaking cute. Animation Academy is the most underrated attraction at DHS. I'd sooooo rather spend a half-hour in there than at American Idol.

Day 3 is pretty much all about eating. That’s right, we don’t even have any real park plans, just some big-ticket ADRs.

It’s another early day for us (is there any other kind at Disney?). We have a very important date with some very important people -- the princesses. Yes ladies, the hallmark of a good man is one who puts up with princess dining for you. :love: We have an 8:15 a.m. ADR at Akerhaus, another new restaurant in our Disney repertoire.

We’ll get a picture with Belle in her gorgeous gold dress.

DSC_7324-L.jpg

After breakfast we might head for Test Track or Soarin’, or we might take a stroll around the Boardwalk. Or maybe we’ll head to DHS.

DSC_1882-L.jpg

Our next ADR will be at that park at 11:30 a.m. Yes, I know a TS breakfast at 8:15 and a TS lunch at 11:30 is a little close together. :scared: But lunch is a special event. We’ll be doing the Dine with an Imagineer program at Hollywood Brown Derby.

DSC_1150-L.jpg

Franklin is really excited about this lunch. He loves learning how things work, so he’s excited to pick an imagineer’s brain. I have read nothing but absolute rave reviews so I’m very excited to try this Disney experience. I’m also excited to go back to Brown Derby (it’s coming up later in the October TR).

The rest of the day is quite literally unplanned. We could try a few rides at DHS, or maybe hop a bus to Magic Kingdom so I can finally see my castle. Yep, move over Cindy, that castle is mine now.

With two TS meals early in the day, we’ll probably be looking for a more low-key dinner. Perhaps we’ll try Wolfgang Puck Express for the first time and head back to Epcot for Illuminations.

DSC_0546-L.jpg

Or maybe Captain Cook’s (Dole Whips!) and watch Wishes from the Poly beach. :cloud9:

DSC_2892-L.jpg

As much as I like planning lots of details for our Disney trips, it’s moments like these where I actually look forward to having no plan at all!

What do you guys think of Day 3? Any votes for our low-key dinner?

Whew! I finally got myself caught up on the report and the plans! I love your tiara, absolutely perfect. And Franklin's pictures, as always, are phenomenal!~
I didn't like how they used the same clam shells for Ariel's ride. Different park yes, but really, who won't notice that? Come on Disney, just because you had some spare shell cars laying in a warehouse doesn't mean you can't tweak them a little! lol

Whew! I finally got myself caught up on the report and the plans! I love your tiara, absolutely perfect. And Franklin's pictures, as always, are phenomenal!~
I didn't like how they used the same clam shells for Ariel's ride. Different park yes, but really, who won't notice that? Come on Disney, just because you had some spare shell cars laying in a warehouse doesn't mean you can't tweak them a little! lol

Welcome back Wendy! :goodvibes Yes, the clam shells seem to be just a lazy choice by Disney, which is unusual for the company. :confused3

No complaints about your HS plans. I know you are not a fan of the ToT ride- do you go through the queue? I hope so, the theming is just so amazing!

Been a while for us (2008) since we have been to 50's Prime Time. I'll be interested in hearing about your meal.

Isn't it great how easy it is to get to Epcot from the BW/BC resorts? Love your dinner plan for Illuminations/Tokyo Dining. I'm excited for you to try it. I haven't eaten there, but the reviews I have read are usually positive.

Oh, wow, the Dine with an Imagineer lunch sounds AWESOME! Do you know in advance who you are going to meet? Being an Imagineer was a dream job already, but how cool is it that getting to dine with guests at HBD is part of your job description???

We "met" Alex Wright, the guy who wrote the Imagineering Field Guides to the parks during our class trip. He was interviewed by a Disney CM and then some of our group got to ask him a few questions.

I like the idea of Wishes from the Poly beach for that night. So, for a low key dinner I was going to suggest the Kona Sushi bar, and then Dole Whips for dessert, but you probably had sushi the night before.

What does the sandwich or salad menu from Captain Cook's look like?

If you are over at MK, maybe grab some Casey's corn dog nuggets. Then take one of the resort boats over to the Poly?

Wow! Thank you for all that information. I will definitely be leaving my camera out a little longer next time. I have a 30mm 1.4, so that's what I'll keep on the camera (I kept my 2.8 most of the time last trip) for ToT. Thanks again for sharing your knowledge. :)

You're welcome! Yes, the 30mm 1.4 would be great for that.

Loved your pictures, mind telling me the camera your fiance used??

Thanks!

Thank you, so much. This trip I used the Nikon D600.

Thanks! Ariel's ride queue is amazing. Then you get to the ride vehicle and have that "wait a second..." feeling.

Oh, wow, the Dine with an Imagineer lunch sounds AWESOME! Do you know in advance who you are going to meet? Being an Imagineer was a dream job already, but how cool is it that getting to dine with guests at HBD is part of your job description???

We "met" Alex Wright, the guy who wrote the Imagineering Field Guides to the parks during our class trip. He was interviewed by a Disney CM and then some of our group got to ask him a few questions.

I like the idea of Wishes from the Poly beach for that night. So, for a low key dinner I was going to suggest the Kona Sushi bar, and then Dole Whips for dessert, but you probably had sushi the night before.

If you are over at MK, maybe grab some Casey's corn dog nuggets. Then take one of the resort boats over to the Poly?

I'm very excited about the Dine with an Imagineer lunch. My thought process is very logical and technical, so I'm always trying to figure out how Disney does things. It's just amazing the level of detail and the thought process to design and bring things to life.

No complaints about your HS plans. I know you are not a fan of the ToT ride- do you go through the queue? I hope so, the theming is just so amazing!

Been a while for us (2008) since we have been to 50's Prime Time. I'll be interested in hearing about your meal.

Isn't it great how easy it is to get to Epcot from the BW/BC resorts? Love your dinner plan for Illuminations/Tokyo Dining. I'm excited for you to try it. I haven't eaten there, but the reviews I have read are usually positive.

I've been through the ToT queue a couple of times and it is AMAZING. Each time I've gone through the queue I've always had that moment of "maybe I should ride it, just once." But then I remember how much I panic at the slightest hint of turbulence and I head for the chicken exit. :rotfl:

We love 50s PTC, the food is much better than Sci-Fi (though Sci-Fi is very cool place to eat).

Tokyo Dining has been high on my ADR to-do list for quite some time, can't wait to report back!

We won't know who we're dining with until we get there, but I'm sure it will be great!

I was so envious when I read about you meeting the Imagineering Guides author. We love those books! They now live in our Owner's Locker in Florida.

The Kona Sushi bar is a great idea. And don't worry about sushi the night before. Franklin could eat sushi seven days a week.

Although the Casey's Corndog nuggets are my favorite... :rolleyes1

It’s finally time for Magic Kingdom! We’ll start the day at...

DSC_7369-L.jpg

Where Franklin will get his beloved Tonga Toast (which will take him approximately 30 seconds to inhale).

DSC_7372-L.jpg

We’ll hop on the monorail...

DSC_6928-L.jpg

And cruise on over to MK.

DSC_0529-L.jpg

We’ll turn the corner and gaze at this beauty.

DSC_1285-L.jpg

Isn’t she beautiful? We won’t get linger all that long because we’ll have places to be. First up?

A trip to space.

DSC_3300-L.jpg

And then the wildest ride in the Wilderness!

DSC_1453-L.jpg

DSC04979-L.jpg

Splash Mountain will be down during our trip, which surprisingly, Franklin really won’t care about. You see, for the past few trips, Franklin has begun to make excuses of why he doesn’t want to ride Splash. Basically he’d be happy if a Splash Mountain Fastpass would deposit him directly at the top of the final drop. He hates the 13-minute buildup to the last drop and so in our last three trips, he’s ridden Splash once.

We’ll spend some time in New Fantasyland, old Fantasyland and everywhere in between.

Lunch will be at...

DSC_0645-L.jpg

Franklin will get some deep-fried seafood goodness

DSC_0636-L.jpg

And since it won’t be 100 degrees outside, it seems a little less weird for Franklin to eat the clam chowder.

DSC_0635-L.jpg

We’ll attack the rest of the park that afternoon...

Some grim, grinning ghosts perhaps.

DSC_7075-L.jpg

Sailing the seven seas.

DSC_3205-L.jpg

And a cruise of an entirely different kind.

DSC_0602-L.jpg

The big star of the day, however, is dinner. I have been waiting a long time to try this place, I cannot possibly wait any longer. That’s right, it’s time for Be Our Guest! We’ll be sure to try the gray stuff, I hear it’s delicious!

Our only other plan for the night is Wishes, Franklin has plans to shoot the show from a new location. We’ll keep it a secret for now, I want everyone to be surprised!

So that’s our day, a pretty straightforward MK day. But with lots of fun packed in. What do you think of our plans?​

Your plans for your trip sound great so far! :cool1: I love that you are Dining with an Imagineer, that sounds like so much fun! As far as a low key dinner, I really loved WPE for dinner, it's surprisingly peaceful and calm in there for a DTD quick service place!

You are going to love Be Our Guest, everything is SO good and just being inside that castle is AMAZING! :worship:

New subscriber! I just took a peek at your Illuminations photos. WOW..Franklin is so talented with his camera! Those pictures are just over the top gorgeous. I am completely blow away!

I'm caught up!

I'm jealous you will be back so soon and January is such a nice time to go! I think all your plans look great, you definitely have a good balance of park time/food time! :)

Looking forward to hearing more!

Wow, now that sounds like an incredibly magical day. Kona in the morning (which I finally tried, and tonga toast is the yummiest thing ever), MK all day, and BE OUR GUEST for dinner!?!?!? Aaack!

Your plans for your trip sound great so far! :cool1: I love that you are Dining with an Imagineer, that sounds like so much fun! As far as a low key dinner, I really loved WPE for dinner, it's surprisingly peaceful and calm in there for a DTD quick service place!

You are going to love Be Our Guest, everything is SO good and just being inside that castle is AMAZING! :worship:

One vote for WPE, huh? What did you guys eat there? I can't wait to see BOG! I'm counting the minutes.

New subscriber! I just took a peek at your Illuminations photos. WOW..Franklin is so talented with his camera! Those pictures are just over the top gorgeous. I am completely blow away!

Welcome aboard, glad to have you join us!

I'm caught up!

I'm jealous you will be back so soon and January is such a nice time to go! I think all your plans look great, you definitely have a good balance of park time/food time! :)

Looking forward to hearing more!

Oh my gosh, the baby was born! Congrats Marissa. Do we get to see pictures of Foster?!?!?

I'm excited to go in January. Our first trip together was the first week in February (back in 2009), but I don't think we really appreciated just how crowd-free that trip was.

Wow, now that sounds like an incredibly magical day. Kona in the morning (which I finally tried, and tonga toast is the yummiest thing ever), MK all day, and BE OUR GUEST for dinner!?!?!? Aaack!

It really is the perfect MK day, isn't it? It's funny, Franklin says he isn't a big breakfast person. But as soon as I say, "Oh, okay, I won't book the Kona ADR." He changes his tune. :lmao:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter