Han Solo Film loses directors

He was the best thing the prequels had to offer, and even he had some cringey lines. He'd be fantastic with a good director and story. I just don't know where they'd plop him for any kind of new film.

With all the reboots out there, I'd be fine with Disney rebooting the prequels, but I guess that might slap a certain someone too hard in the face. There was so much potential in those stories.

Yeah, even Zack Snyder (Batman v Superman) would have done a better job with the Prequels. At least he films some scenes in real environments and not the Toontown Lucas created.

I'd much rather see Darth Maul's story though and his eventual death at the hands of Obi Wan (in Star Wars Rebels). Maybe we'd be able to get Maul vs Vader finally as well. That last line made me drool a little.

Wasn't one of these films supposed to involve Bobba fett at one time? That's a better route with a more obscure character/bounty hunter background that could have a better feel to it

The thing with going back in time with these main characters (I count Boba in that group) is that it has the ability to screw up with 1) how we see the character and 2) how we imagined their past was. You poll any fan before the prequels came out and asked them about Vader's backstory and I'm willing to bet nobody would have envisioned what we got. Nobody except George I guess. Rouge One worked because it had just enough sprinkling of some of the main cast to tie it all together but didn't focus on them. Just like Rebels does. Can we please just get a Dash Rendar film?!?!?!?

Wasn't one of these films supposed to involve Bobba fett at one time? That's a better route with a more obscure character/bounty hunter background that could have a better feel to it

I like Boba, but I wouldn't put him in another movie. He's Polynesian looking, thus "The Rock" would try to steal this series like he's done many times before. He seems to do a lot of remakes, or he even steals the franchise from someone else.

Disaster the ride (originally Earthquake)
The Mummy (from Brendan Fraser)
Journey to the Center (Fraser again)
Gi Joe (Tatum)
Fast and the Furious (wants a spinoff)
Shazam (wants Black Adam to get his own movie first)
Witch Mountain (remake of a Disney Classic)
Jungle Cruise (Disney Ride)
Jumanji (R.I.P Robin Williams)
Baywatch (R.I.P the Hoffs hairy chest)
Rampage (video game)
Doom (video game)
Big Trouble in Little China (rumored)

Last edited:

May 25th 2018. They are moving back to the summer release.
That's certainly interesting. I thought Disney/Lucasfilm were set on the December release dates as the merchandise for films would released around Christmas.

The thing with going back in time with these main characters (I count Boba in that group) is that it has the ability to screw up with 1) how we see the character and 2) how we imagined their past was. You poll any fan before the prequels came out and asked them about Vader's backstory and I'm willing to bet nobody would have envisioned what we got. Nobody except George I guess. Rouge One worked because it had just enough sprinkling of some of the main cast to tie it all together but didn't focus on them. Just like Rebels does. Can we please just get a Dash Rendar film?!?!?!?
Yep, watch the original trilogy and in NO way does it feel like Hayden Christensen's as Anakin Skywalker is in that suit....Lucas absolutely failed to connect the "feel" of Vader from the prequels to the original trilogy

Hmmm...if Star Wars goes off the rails...I bet I can predict the problem...

Hint: KK

That makes ALOT of sense based on what we have seen so far...notably Abrams and kasdan spinning a canned story that was light on Star Wars and heavy on "message"

...hmmm

Rumor is that the third stand alone film will focus on Obi-Wan Kenobi's backstory. Not too thrilled about this one either (if the rumors are accurate).

I think that the appeal of Obi-Wan and his backstory was forever squelched by casting someone who was a good 12" shorter than Alec Guinness to play the younger version. In this case as in others, Lucas really burned the character's story arc to the ground as far as I am concerned.

I think that the appeal of Obi-Wan and his backstory was forever squelched by casting someone who was a good 12" shorter than Alec Guinness to play the younger version. In this case as in others, Lucas really burned the character's story arc to the ground as far as I am concerned.

I'm not as harsh on both the prequel character or the cartoon stories since...

...but the point is, it's been DONE. This is what happens when kids buy tickets to the same fast and furious movie 9 times...we all suffer the Hollywood greedy scum deciding on things that don't need to be made.

A person with knowledge of the production said that the chemistry between the directors and Kennedy was never right. “It was a culture clash from day one,” the source said. “She didn’t even like the way they folded their socks.”

How's that ... you hire someone because you like their previous work, but you have no idea (because you didn't discuss it with them) how they will shoot the film, how they like to work on the set, or how they envision the action, dialog and emotion of the finished product? You didn't ask them whether they believe in changing the script by ad libbing during filming, or adding comedy bits or leaving out bits of the screenplay?

Must have been a pretty hasty interview process. Do these Hollywood people (Kathleen) not ever talk to other Hollywood people about what it was like on the set of their previous films, how they handled the script and how they treated the producers and actors?

Or ... maybe someone else (like Iger) stuck their nose in and insisted on hiring the comedy team, but then faded out of the picture and left the lady on the spot to deal with them and their (I assume) goofy, non-canonical and irreverent or careless manhandling of the characters and situations?

I think that this is a great sign. We have GoTG for slapstick comedy in space - we don't need a director duo trying to turn Han Solo into someone that he is not. His sense of humor was dry and subtle. The directors being fired don't do subtle. I was surprised when they were hired in the first place.

I suspect that the movie was continuing to go off the rails in that direction, so they got fired. Since the film is more than half way through shooting, we can be reasonably sure that the decision was calculated, not based on personality differences. When investors and studios spend hundreds of millions of dollars on a film, they want what they want. You give them what they are looking for, or you get fired.

ETA - One last point - these movies are not being made to make existing Star Wars fans happy. They are trying to appeal to the next era of Star Wars fans, not the 50+ year old (like me) who comprise the existing Star Wars fan base. As a movie fan, I am glad for that. I'd rather have a totally fresh take on Han Solo that works well and builds the fan base than an old, recycled Han Solo that keeps the purists happy.

Last edited:
Once the other two were let go Ron's name was rumored. I like Ron so I'm interested to see how this works.
I am, too. Still, he really hasn't done Sci-Fi, so I have no idea what to expect (yeah, there was Cowboys and Aliens, but that movie was not among his best).

Howard does a masterful job of building suspense and delivering drama. No idea what to expect here.

I'm so morbidly curious as to how a film gets SO far into production without "creative differences" coming up. Hopefully, we get a more in-depth scoop on this... I'm so nosy :magnify:

Once the other two were let go Ron's name was rumored. I like Ron so I'm interested to see how this works.
I like him, too. I just never envisioned him for a SW movie. My curiosity is now piqued.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!