Half vs. Full

lilouisianagal

Mouseketeer
I decided on a whim about a week before our trip to WDW that I was going to do the 5K. (convienently, b/c of the hurricanes our trip was knocked back to Marathon weekend). I had done a 5K in October (finished 40:21) so I knew that I could do it, and I was inspired by reading about everyone's prep work here for the full and half. So I walked/jogged the Fun Run (my parents thought I was nuts) and finished 40:01, rather well considering I exercised nil in the fall/winter. So that got me rather addicted to the marathon idea. I would like to do the Half or Full Marathon next year but I'm not sure which to do. I have been walking and jogging (goal: jog all of the 5K March 11) for the past 3? weeks. I started out limping in from a 13 mi walk at 4 hrs but since then have improved to walking it in 3:25. I am a bit overweight (150lbs and I'm 5ft). I've been jogging 2 days a week (5K-4mi), walking 2 days a week (6mi/13mi), and doing sit ups/push ups the remaining 3 days. I would like to loose the extra weight at about one pound a week so that I'm not as likely to gain it back. Now that you've read this far the question remains: Should I sign up for the Full or the Half for 2007?

It is really up to you. Many out there beyond the WISH team--will say to have a good solid base before training for a marathon.

But keep in mind--this is if you want to do WELL (like fast).

However---if your goal is just to finish and get Mickey--you are active already...and you could certainly complete a full barring any set backs.

The key is to avoid the set backs. Listen to your body--back off when it wants you to--press on when it can take the challenge.

If you are very concerned--register for both. Yes it means double the entry fee--but it also means half the disappointment. Try training for the full--if it is too much, you have the half on your backburner.

However--if you can only afford to register for one..I would say it appears that you can finish the full in the necessary time. I say go for it!

Once you begin training in the fall--you need to watch your nutritional intake. When training begins, you cannot be on a diet. You can certainly eat healthy--but prepare for the possibility that weight loss will slow if not stop while training. Your body needs the fuel to do the job--so get a good guestimate on what your calorie burn is from your workouts. Make sure your net calories for the day are the minimum you need.

I.e. if you are eating 1300 calories per day to lose weight...during training--make sure the net total for hte day is this. So if you burn 500 calories running..you will need to consume 1800 calories minimum.

If you don't--it will impact your training in a negative manner.

Sign up for the full! Based on what you are able to do right now and that you have a year to train, it seems with your training base in place you will be able to accomplish the full. You have 7 hours to do it and if you remain committeed to the training you should be within that time by then.

I agree with all that Lisa said to including signing up for both if you could manage that. You will give yourself the choice of one, (or both) as your time gets closer. It is really all about the trainig, and commitment. There is a good amount of time required to train for a full and if time is a problem, then your decision would be made by that alone.

Good luck with your decision.

Stop over to our weekly walking/training thread and share your journey. Have fun with it.

While I agree with the other posters that physically you can do either - you need to also look at things mentally. Without putting down the physical effort people make to get into shape for a half in any way - it isn't as gruelling mentally as a full. You have to know that if you do the full, you're going to be spending 18 weeks of your life living to run a race, and your trip will be taken up by that race. With a half you can get away with a bit more park playing, a bit less healthy eating, and your long runs are 'only' 2 hours not 4 or 5.

I'd done 13 halves before my full but none of them felt like training for the full. I had to put running first for at least two months of my life - but finishing the full gave me the biggest buzz I've ever had and I'm now in permanent depression that I can't do it again next year.

Oh dear I hope I haven't put you off - I don't want to be negative, as as I said from the beginning either is completely open to you now, and as it's your first race, the joy you'll get from either race is huge (and shhhh, but I actually prefer the half medal) but IMHO you have to know in your heart that you really want to run a full before you do it - once you know that, the training will just make it happen with a little less pain!!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter