Guardians of the (Epcot) Galaxy

If it was rights I think the insiders who broke the story would've said so. While possible I think it's not likely that is the cause.

It might not be the original motivation for the change but I could see how the reason might be trotted out at some point in order to defend or bolster the decision.

Disney may have decided to emulate Universal to some degree. Uni has no compunction about replacing "classic" rides to get newer, hotter characters and stories into their parks. Usually it's a total replacement but Back to the Future was actually a great, classic ride that was swapped out for a quick Simpsons overlay.

Who knows, Dis may even decide to emulate Uni with respect to speed of construction some day ...

Even if this were the case, and they were going to be cheap and not keep the Twilight Zone license, there's no reason they couldn't record a new pre-show and keep the overall spooky element. My kids had never even heard of the Twilight Zone and they loved it. Rod Serling and the TZ music could be switched out and it wouldn't lose much for many people.

Having said that... please please please please don't take it away, Iger!

From what I understand ToT in Japan is not Twilight Zone themed because of rights costs. So it is completely doable. That being said, I would love if they'd take the Sunset Strip area of DHS and do Disney Villians...Change up ToT and Rock'n Rollercoaster to feature some of the villians and do a villians stage show in the theater.

Prefer TOT/RNR WDW stay the same and they add GOTG at EPCOT, but no matter really.

We like to visit new attractions/shows and re-themed attractions/shows (as well as original or recently unchanged attractions/shows).

Then we decide how much we like them and plan whether to go on/see them again and/or how often.

It's great to have merchandise for sale as well in case we want to shop a bit esp if its hot or rainy (and realise many folks are looking for it), most times we decide to skip it.

When we do shop, we look over the merchandise and pricing-then decide if we want to buy anything.

This strategy works really well for us.

Last edited:
It might not be the original motivation for the change but I could see how the reason might be trotted out at some point in order to defend or bolster the decision.

Disney may have decided to emulate Universal to some degree. Uni has no compunction about replacing "classic" rides to get newer, hotter characters and stories into their parks. Usually it's a total replacement but Back to the Future was actually a great, classic ride that was swapped out for a quick Simpsons overlay.

Who knows, Dis may even decide to emulate Uni with respect to speed of construction some day ...
The Simpsons is pretty ornate for a quick overlay. That aside, the whole premise of Universal is to ride the movies and those normally consist of whatever is new and shiny. They don't do that in every case but it's done the most I would say. Disney has never been about that. Them doing the same thing is jarring.

Not necessarily. If they did something that was states of the art in terms of a dark ride that would bring people in too. I'm also sure Star Wars will bring in potter like crowds.

It's my opinion and therefore it's right :p

Not necessarily doesn't mean it's not possible. One of the things missing from Epcot is thrill. Thrill seekers aren't going to Epcot and a coaster might catch that thrill seeking crowd that finds that kind of thing at Universal. I'm not saying the other things you mentioned won't also have a draw, but thrill seekers might come for the ride and stay for the drinks. :drinking1

Personally, I'd like to see EPCOT stick to more educational offerings, and leave the pop culture stuff to the other parks. If they were somehow using Guardians to teach about something educational or informative, I'd feel better about it.

One thing I'd REALLY love to see is an attraction that taught about the universe, or at the very least, our solar system. I think that would be awesome, but then again, I'm an astronomy buff.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter