Grumpy, his wife and their son Goofy dine at the World -- Updated 220 & 232(Pg 15&16)

Love the review of Writer's Stop - we had planned to visit here but never got round to it. Oh well, another reason to return..as if I need one! :laughing:

Your burger looks amazing! Nothing better than a great burger!

Good coffee is hard to find in this place isnt it?

I have never in my life had a cappucino. My beverage habits are more similar to your son's. I will drink coffee once in a blue moon though, I love ice sweet tea though. I guess I'm not much of a hot beverage drinker. Give me my coca-cola classic and I'm set!!

I cannot survive the day without a Cappucino. I don't drink tea at all (hot or iced) and I am not a big pop drinker.

I have heard good things about Writer's Shop. I haven't tried the place yet but it's on my list to try for next trip.

Definitely worth a stop...very fresh and tasty.

Totally with you on the size of the coffee's at Writer's Stop - they are tiny :eek:

Love this place; and as you say, never a wait and also lots of fresh items :cloud9:

Yes, they could make those cappucinos a tad bigger....like the size of DH's Iced Coffee would be nice.

All I can say about the Writer's stop is ....... :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2

Totally agree, Karin.

The Writer's Stop looks yummy!!!! :thumbsup2 I didn't know this place was in existence either!

Amy, be sure to try to stop by when you are there in December...especially for a warm drink on a chilly day.

Love the review of Writer's Stop - we had planned to visit here but never got round to it. Oh well, another reason to return..as if I need one! :laughing:

Aren't you glad I gave you another reason to return (not like you needed it).

Your burger looks amazing! Nothing better than a great burger!

Good coffee is hard to find in this place isnt it?

It was good, but then your burger at Beaches & Cream had me drooling.

It is nearly impossible to find good coffee at Disney (unless you go to Kona).

I too have to try the writers stop!!What I need is another solo trip where I can just eat my way around Disney sampling all the goodies !!!!

Hm, interesting question ....... ;) .......... but then it is actually two cookies sandwiched together with frosting (or whatever they call it :laughing:) ....... so technically it's a sandwich and I guess that's "allowed" for breakfast. :lmao:

Definitely allowed for breakfast, and it was a really good breakfast at that.

Wendesday, September 28

We were supposed to go to Rose & Crown this evening. But while playing on the dining site, I found an opening at LeCellier. As Andy has been to Rose & Crown a number of times and had NEVER been to LeCellier. How could I not? I wish we had been on the dining plan this year since it is now a Signature Restaurant. But not knowing when Andy would be coming back with us or by himself, I didn't want to pass up this opportunity and sucked up the fact that I would paying big bucks for this meal.

We had a 4:25 ADR at LeCellier and arrived around 4:20 p.m. to check in:

Day6121.jpg

We were seated almost immediately as they were just underway with serving dinner. I did a really bad job this trip of remembering the names of the CM's helping us, etc. But I remember we had a lovely young woman who was very helpful.

As I knew I would be getting a Slush or two later, I just went with a Diet Coke as did Mark; Andy stuck with water.

The brought out the bread and this was the first disappointment of the night. It was not served as it had been in the past -- thinner pieces and no offers of refills. As much as I always loved the pretzel bread, the sourdough in the past had always been my favorite. This time I thought the sourdough was fair at best, and the pretzel bread was just okay (I've had better at the local German restaurant).

Day6128.jpg

I had talked up the soup so much that I really thought Andy would pour it over my head if he did not like it. Luckily, he is his Mother's son, and he too loved the Canadain Cheddar Cheese soup.

Day6129.jpg

I had the filet. I do not like mushrooms so did not want the risotto. Therefore, I got the herb-parmesan potato wedges. This was disappointment number two: I could not get my beloved Cream Cheese mashed potatos as a substitute...you can now only get these at lunch time.

The filet was cooked perfectly and was very tender; the potato wedges were okay...nothing special and there was only four on the plate.

Day6130.jpg

Mark and Andy had the Medallion of Beef Tenderloin with the pommes frites (french fries).

Mark and Andy both said this was very good...not too salty and flavorful. Neither one of them cared for the fries at all.

Day6131.jpg

I had my heart set on my all-time favorite Disney dessert -- the Chocolate on Chocolate Whiskey Cake. Here came disappointment number three: you cannot get it at dinner, only at lunch. Nothing else on the menu appealed to me, and the guys knew they would be stopping in a few countries for drinks, so we skipped dessert. However, since our anniversary was noted on the ADR, they brought us out a free dessert:

Day6132.jpg

Andy and his dad nibbled at the dessert.

On a scale of 1-10, I give LeCellier a 6. It is definitely not worthy of a "signature restaurant" or the prices that they charge for their steaks. For the $173 we paid for this meal (and no drinks and no desserts paid for), it was not worth it in my opinion.

If we go back in the next year or two, we will definitely go at lunch time. If we want a steak dinner, we will go to Shula's (which Nicki just reviewed and said was awesome) or Yachtsman which we have never tried.

And for those of you on the fence or who have been there before, the CM informed us that there is a new chef and the receipe for the Cream Cheese Mashed Potatos and the Chocolate on Chocolate Whiskey Cake have been changed.

Up next, our last two meals at the World: Kona and The Plaza

Sorry to hear that Le Cellier was a bit of a disappointment. Think if I ever get around to giving it a try, we'll do lunch.

Oh no!!! Now you have me terribly worried about my ADR there in December. Dh has never been there so after all my talk about how wonderful it is, he and I both were excited to finally have him find out for himself.

I really wish that you had had a better experience. For all that you paid it really should have been better. Just the three of you and that cost...:scared1: Almost criminal.... You mentioned wishing you had been on the dp... I think it is the only reason we will be able to go.

Your meal looks pretty disappointing. Close to $200 with no drinks and you can't get mashed potatoes or your favorite cake? Dont think dinner will make our list anytime soon.

Sorry to hear your meal was less than thrilling! Nothing's worse than paying a lot of money for a meal that doesn't live up to the hype. We ate there this past February and it was ok. We had a great waiter that made up for the meal being just ok. We have another adr for lunch next February also. I suppose we'll keep it but you never know. I've been keeping up with MickeyNicki's reviews and Shula's does look GOOD and you mentioned they have a location in Chicago! I'm thinking I need to talk my husband into a trip Downtown. :) Looking forward to the remainder of your reviews!!!!

I'm so bummed out for you that your meal at LC was not so good. Boo. :mad: i just ate there recently but for lunch and I loved it and I did like the cream cheese mashed potatoes. I have an ADR for our next trip and I'm so glad that it's lunch because the dinner doesn't really sound like it's worth it. That is disappointing. Hopefully upcoming meals make up for it!

Sorry to hear you were disappointed with your LeCellier dinner. The price alone is way too much in my opinion. Even if it was excellent, it's still really pricey. I've been kinda bummed cause I'd been trying to book LC for lunch during our Dec. trip with no luck. (and I started trying in August) After reading your review I don't think I'm missing out on much. There are so many good meals to be had at Epcot it's impossible for me to get them all in anyway. I loved the pumkin pic of you and Mark. The colors are so vivid. glad you are having such a good trip.

So glad you talked Todd out of LC because he loved Shulas but the Yachtsman is great too! Either way you get a great meal

I went to LeCellier once, loved the soup of course and the filet with the cheesey potatoes and the regular creme brulee !!I definately would not do supper there !! But one day I will do lunch again!!!

I'm glad you managed to secure a reservation at Le Cellier and got to treat Andy :thumbsup2

Oh no on the bread not being all that great - have heard that the changes have not gone down well.

I think if I ever try Le Cellier it would be for lunch - I just couldn't justify spending 2 TS credits on this place.

Wow. The part where they offer certain things only at lunch and can't be accommodating at dinner time to requests for those things when people are paying dinner prices sounds just awful for a signature restaurant. It makes me think they have a bit too much "corporate mentality" to have good restaurants, which of necessity would need to be run in the same way truly stellar restaurants need to be run anywhere else. So sad to see that at a place charging those kinds of prices.

Can you tell I watch "those shows" about restaurants and the competition ones too. :lmao:

We will be going to LC for the 1st time ever on our trip.This is a big one for my mom & DH. My mom has tried to get us in for years. Thank you for the honest review. It's better than expecting perfection. Sorry about the price. eeek!!! To me it's hard for me to pay that much for food. I'd compare it to another night in WDW. :lmao::lmao: I compare everything to another vacation night. :rotfl:
Oh..anniversary dessert was just adorable! My DH & I visit Canada often & everything has mooses on it. :goodvibes

Sorry to hear that Le Cellier was a bit of a disappointment. Think if I ever get around to giving it a try, we'll do lunch.

The food was great, just the price and "amount" of food and what we could get was disappointing.

Your meal looks pretty disappointing. Close to $200 with no drinks and you can't get mashed potatoes or your favorite cake? Dont think dinner will make our list anytime soon.

Yeah, I wasn't too happy about it.

Sorry to hear your meal was less than thrilling! Nothing's worse than paying a lot of money for a meal that doesn't live up to the hype. We ate there this past February and it was ok. We had a great waiter that made up for the meal being just ok. We have another adr for lunch next February also. I suppose we'll keep it but you never know. I've been keeping up with MickeyNicki's reviews and Shula's does look GOOD and you mentioned they have a location in Chicago! I'm thinking I need to talk my husband into a trip Downtown. :) Looking forward to the remainder of your reviews!!!!

What we had was good, it's just I couldn't get what I really wanted as my side and dessert. I think Mark and I are going to go to Shula's in December for my birthday. :)

I'm so bummed out for you that your meal at LC was not so good. Boo. :mad: i just ate there recently but for lunch and I loved it and I did like the cream cheese mashed potatoes. I have an ADR for our next trip and I'm so glad that it's lunch because the dinner doesn't really sound like it's worth it. That is disappointing. Hopefully upcoming meals make up for it!

As I said earlier, loved the food, just not being able to make substitutions as you could in the past. I would definitely stick to lunch.

Sorry to hear you were disappointed with your LeCellier dinner. The price alone is way too much in my opinion. Even if it was excellent, it's still really pricey. I've been kinda bummed cause I'd been trying to book LC for lunch during our Dec. trip with no luck. (and I started trying in August) After reading your review I don't think I'm missing out on much. There are so many good meals to be had at Epcot it's impossible for me to get them all in anyway. I loved the pumkin pic of you and Mark. The colors are so vivid. glad you are having such a good trip.

Lunch is going to get harder and harder to book with the two dining credits and expensive prices and them cutting back on what you can get to eat for substitutions.

So glad you talked Todd out of LC because he loved Shulas but the Yachtsman is great too! Either way you get a great meal

Anything to please the Queen.

I went to LeCellier once, loved the soup of course and the filet with the cheesey potatoes and the regular creme brulee !!I definately would not do supper there !! But one day I will do lunch again!!!

I agree Rosie...lunch is the way to go.

I'm glad you managed to secure a reservation at Le Cellier and got to treat Andy :thumbsup2

Oh no on the bread not being all that great - have heard that the changes have not gone down well.

I think if I ever try Le Cellier it would be for lunch - I just couldn't justify spending 2 TS credits on this place.

Tanz, I hope you can try it for lunch on your next trip...I think lunch is worth it.

Wow. The part where they offer certain things only at lunch and can't be accommodating at dinner time to requests for those things when people are paying dinner prices sounds just awful for a signature restaurant. It makes me think they have a bit too much "corporate mentality" to have good restaurants, which of necessity would need to be run in the same way truly stellar restaurants need to be run anywhere else. So sad to see that at a place charging those kinds of prices.

I agree 100% with what you said.

We will be going to LC for the 1st time ever on our trip.This is a big one for my mom & DH. My mom has tried to get us in for years. Thank you for the honest review. It's better than expecting perfection. Sorry about the price. eeek!!! To me it's hard for me to pay that much for food. I'd compare it to another night in WDW. :lmao::lmao: I compare everything to another vacation night. :rotfl:
Oh..anniversary dessert was just adorable! My DH & I visit Canada often & everything has mooses on it. :goodvibes

Are you going for lunch or dinner? I'd have no problem going back for lunch, but I'll not be going back for dinner unless we go on the dining plan and they bring back MY potatos.

The moose was adorable.

Sorry for the long delay in reviews. Work has been crazy, I was sick for a week and we've been looking at a new "used" car.

Let's get on with the show.

We are on our last day at Disney. Sad...I know; but for us, it is now a little easier as when we leave Disney, we get to go to Marco Island and spend a week with MickeyNicki...my very bestest friend here on the DIS who is like the "little sister" I never had.

This was our Kona breakfast morning. We had blown it off last year because we were tired to get up. But I was NOT going to miss it this year. I had read so many great reviews and we had never been. This was finally the year.

Day7009.jpg

We arrived and there was some kind of screw up with our ADR...they had it under Schlitz rather than Schultz. And I have to say the Hostess was NOT a very friendly person. I was praying this was not going to be an omen of our upcoming meal.

Problem resolved and we were shown to our table. We had a lovely waitress (I do not remember her name). She said, "I'm sure you want to get to the MK as soon as possible for EMH's and I will do all I can to make sure you have quick service, but great food." Things were definitely looking up.

After we were seated, I ordered the Pressed Coffee Pot that I have read so much about:

Day7021.jpg

Oh my....can you say :worship::worship::worship: I fell in love with the coffee, as did Mark. I would have ordered a second one if it weren't for the fact that we had a lot to do at the Magic Kingdom and I didn't want to end up in the ladies room all morning. ;)

Andy ordered an orange juice (he doesn't do coffee):

Day7020.jpg

Mark ordered the much talked about Tonga Toast:

Day7022.jpg

Mark really liked this. Mark is a big banana lover -- just a banana, banana bread, banana muffins, etc. He thought this was just enough banana flavor and still a nice french toast. He had the "sad" Disney bacon with it...although this was at least better than the buffet bacon.

Andy ordered the Two Eggs Your Way - with home fried potatoes, a biscuit, and choice of ham, bacon or sausage and went with the sausage:

Day7023.jpg

Andy said these were the best scrambled eggs he ever had. They were light and fluffy and not greasy. He also loved the sausage; he hates the small, skinnly links, and said these were perfect and cooked just right. The potatos he said were "eh" -- he prefers hash browns and the biscuit was nothing to write home about.

I went with the regular french toast and bacon (I don't do bananas :sick: so no Tonga Toast for me).

Day7024.jpg

I asked for my bacon to be extra crispy (the way I like it) in the hopes it would be better than the bacon I've had at Disney in the past. Unfortunately, I don't think they know what "crispy" means at Disney. In any event, I loved my french toast. Sometimes french toast can taste too "eggy" to me and since I am not an egg eater unless it is an omelet, I hate when my french toast tastes that way. But this was good and I really enjoyed.

So on a scale of 1-10, we give Kona a 8+. We LOVED the coffe, Mark really enjoyed his Tonga Toast, Andy loves his eggs and sausage and I was very happy with my french toast. We will definitely be going back.

Up next, our last meal at Disney World.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter