Greece or Iceland? How difficult is the glacier hike?

mcgrawfamily

Earning My Ears
Torn between Greece and Iceland - both so different but unique. Help? Also in Iceland how difficult and scary was the glacier hike?

What time of year are you going? Is it for this year? In a typical year, if you are planning on summer, I would probably avoid Greece - it gets very hot and crowded. I would do Greece in the early fall or late spring, personally.

I've done both trips, and while Iceland is a very fun and unique trip (with some logistical challenges), it doesn't hold a candle to the Greece trip. The Greece trip has a fabulous mix of activities, and the country and its people and its culture and its history are so well showcased. It's the second favorite of my 11 ABDs.

As far as the glacier hike is concerned, I didn't do it. I have a really bad back. One of the Adventure Guides, while not *saying* that he didn't think I should do the hike, *did* tell me multiple times that people complained of their backs hurting, due to the rough ascent to the glacier (not the glacier hike itself). It just wasn't worth the risk to me, so I did an alternate flat hike with our Icelandic Adventure Guide to see a nearby glacier. That said, not a single person that I heard said *anything* about it being scary.

Sayhello

We have done both trips. For the glacier hike they gave options for pace and distance. We did the fastest/longest and found it decently challenging, and we are a super active family. We loved, loved Iceland but didn't think it was the best ABD we had been on. I think Greece is a better run trip.

I feel like I need to say - not because of the guides, our guides were amazing. It's just a large group trip in Iceland didn't work as well logistically (bathroom access, etc.). I wouldn't choose a large group trip to Iceland.

Also, we went to Greece with ABD at the end of July/beginning of August, and while it was hot, it was fine. There's a lovely breeze and the hotels are well air conditioned for sleeping.

Driving around Iceland in a rental at your own pace is the best way to see Iceland! We spent two hours at the amazing GODAFOSS waterfall; a tour bus pulled up and the driver said to the group, ten minutes. No way.

Driving around Iceland in a rental at your own pace is the best way to see Iceland! We spent two hours at the amazing GODAFOSS waterfall; a tour bus pulled up and the driver said to the group, ten minutes. No way.
Yes, but ABD doesn't do that. Maybe not 2 hours, but they spend a goodly amount of time there, and at most stops.

And "best" is really relative. Maybe it's best for you, but *definitely* not best for me! If I'm driving, I'm not seeing all the spectacular scenery, nor am I having our fabulous Adventure Guides, one of whom is Icelandic, telling me the fascinating stories and history and geology of what I am seeing.

Sayhello

Last edited:
Glacier hikes are getting harder because the timeframe to do them is shorter. There is a very good chance it will be unstable in warm weather and bad weather in winter

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter