Great Movie Ride closes for Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway

Status
Not open for further replies.
My daughter wouldn't ride it for years, when she was 12 we finally forced her to go, the last trip she made us ride it twice. Personally, I think it is a poorly done attraction and won't mind it being re-done, the only parts I liked were the wizard of Oz and the movie clips. How a ride could make Alien seem boring is beyond me.

It definitely needs updating - the Tarzan scene is just embarrassing

When it opened the Wicked Witch was the most advanced audioanimatroinic produced to that point - hopefully they repurpose her

Disney could easily find a similar sounding voice where deeded. Remember how many voices Mickey has had over the years.

Oh, and the current ride is already "trackless".

Yes but we now have permits to back some of this up.

Trackless yes but it still runs on a guide. By trackless I mean like Ratatouille. WDW doesn't have a true trackless ride yet. Star Wars, Ratatouille, and this would be the first.

Well, I'd say it seems pretty set that something is going to change. I hope they are just updating the mechanics and their choice of great movies. And....the wizard of oz scene is a MUST KEEP!

Yes but we now have permits to back some of this up.

Trackless yes but it still runs on a guide. By trackless I mean like Ratatouille. WDW doesn't have a true trackless ride yet. Star Wars, Ratatouille, and this would be the first.

I was saying this to my wife last night, how the US has no trackless systems, but there are 3 rumored to be going in.

But then I pointed this out which no one really talks about. The GMR is ALREADY a trackless system. Yes, it is much more simplistic than the new trackless systems in Asia and Paris, but this was really the prototype to those.

I am rooting for the ride to focus on Mickey from his first appearance in Plane Crazy until now! So many innovative techniques over the years to highlight.

I think that would be neat, especially if it is presented as you going through time and almost show things going from black and white to color to maybe 3D, etc.

Perhaps they should bring in some new, young designers so we can have a new pool of ideas for today's Disney Fans.

I was saying this to my wife last night, how the US has no trackless systems, but there are 3 rumored to be going in.

But then I pointed this out which no one really talks about. The GMR is ALREADY a trackless system. Yes, it is much more simplistic than the new trackless systems in Asia and Paris, but this was really the prototype to those.
As is Ellen's Energy Adventure.

apologies if this was already posted here but just saw a story about plans Ward Kimball had for a Mickey Mouse attraction that seems like it could fit - it goes through soem of Mickey's greatest hits but combines it with the process of making animation - so seems like it could be a really good fir to DHS and is of the type of ride that is similar to GMR

http://thekingdominsider.com/update...e-ride-refurb-based-abandoned-disney-concept/

apologies if this was already posted here but just saw a story about plans Ward Kimball had for a Mickey Mouse attraction that seems like it could fit - it goes through soem of Mickey's greatest hits but combines it with the process of making animation - so seems like it could be a really good fir to DHS and is of the type of ride that is similar to GMR

http://thekingdominsider.com/update...e-ride-refurb-based-abandoned-disney-concept/
I don't feel everything Mickey would be a good representation for Hollywood Studios. That would be changing the entire concept of the ride. I'm not for it.

I don't feel everything Mickey would be a good representation for Hollywood Studios. That would be changing the entire concept of the ride. I'm not for it.
I doubt it will remain "Hollywood Studios" much longer.

That said, I wish they'd keep it as is though, just with some long needed updates.

The whole attraction of GMR is changing. Nothing will be retained from the GMR ride. No vehicles or anthing. Per multiple insider reports this will be a total gut and redo of the ride.

I doubt it will remain "Hollywood Studios" much longer.

That said, I wish they'd keep it as is though, just with some long needed updates.
Exactly....that's my wish too. Maybe it will come true! What do you think of Star Wars Land? I know nothing much of what they are doing there, it's all news to me because I don't follow Star Wars stuff. You know?

The whole attraction of GMR is changing. Nothing will be retained from the GMR ride. No vehicles or anthing. Per multiple insider reports this will be a total gut and redo of the ride.
This makes me fell a little sick...ugh!

Exactly....that's my wish too. Maybe it will come true! What do you think of Star Wars Land? I know nothing much of what they are doing there, it's all news to me because I don't follow Star Wars stuff. You know?
If you can spare the time, go over to the Star wars thread, they have some incredible pictures of what the new land will look like. Harry Potter on space steroids!! ;)

I am not a huge Star wars fan either, I am more a Star Trek guy...but even I am really, really excited for what I see. The total interaction that is rumored as well makes it even more exciting.

If you can spare the time, go over to the Star wars thread, they have some incredible pictures of what the new land will look like. Harry Potter on space steroids!! ;)

I am not a huge Star wars fan either, I am more a Star Trek guy...but even I am really, really excited for what I see. The total interaction that is rumored as well makes it even more exciting.
I'm with you on Star Trek, grew up on it. I'll wander over to the Star Wars thread so I can be in the know for next year. Will it be completed by next year or is it unknown?

:offtopic:

You and my husband would get along well. We enjoy Star Wars for sure but he's more of a Star Trek person (he's pretty excited for the new tv show coming out). I like bits and pieces of Star Trek (maybe it's blashphemy but I liked the movies that have come out with Chris Pine but I can watch Star Trek-Voyager [which is my husband's favorite one] and Star Trek-The Next Generation (which is my husband's second favorite one]).

I'm with you on Star Trek, grew up on it. I'll wander over to the Star Wars thread so I can be in the know for next year. Will it be completed by next year or is it unknown?

Timeframe is 2019 (that was confirmed) but nothing more specific than that at this point though so far Disneyland is a bit ahead of WDW - so thought is Disneyland in 1H of 2019 and WDW in 2H (more details should come out this weekend though)

:offtopic:

You and my husband would get along well. We enjoy Star Wars for sure but he's more of a Star Trek person (he's pretty excited for the new tv show coming out). I like bits and pieces of Star Trek (maybe it's blashphemy but I liked the movies that have come out with Chris Pine but I can watch Star Trek-Voyager [which is my husband's favorite one] and Star Trek-The Next Generation (which is my husband's second favorite one]).
I am a HUGE fan of the updated movies with Chris Pine. Love them all! I am not that much a junkie, I watched Next Generation, and even some of DS9, but not as big a follower. Never got into Enterprise(prequil) or Voyager.

I keep waiting and waiting for one of the major theme parks to get the rights to Star Trek, and make a walk around Enterprise!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter