Grand Californian Super Thread

I’ve never heard a guard say that. They just check if the name is on the list.
Adding your guests to your reservation is a good idea, but likely not needed. Your guests should know the name of the reservation holder (you) and the check-in date -- also likely not needed. The guard shack CM will not recite a list of names, so nothing to worry about

Thank you. I think I was just over thinking it because of the surprise element. I guess I won't even add them and hope for the best!

I had my first onsite visit, since the resort reopened (although many park only visits).
A few notes:

No problem with grocery delivery. Ordered from Pavilions and and actual delivery was by DoorDash. Bell Services held items, and delivered to the room along with our luggage.

I did online check-in and indicated an 11AM arrival, but did not actually arrive until noon. Amazingly the room was ready, so perhaps online check-in prioritizes room cleaning (I did not think to ask about that). "Amazing" is the proper description. since villas are notorious for being late -- I have personally waited until after 6PM! This was a Grand Villa, so delays are even more likely.

The room key from the Disneyland App only works for the "Primary Guest", other guests will not see the "open door" button. Specifically confirmed with Guest Services, this is normal. This means guests must still visit the registration desk to get physical keys. Online check-in could be helpful if there is a long check-in line, since guests could get into the room with the App Key and pickup physical keys later.

The televisions have been refreshed, not sure if the actual display was replaced but there is now a hotel specific control box mounted on the back. The TV turns on with a Welcome Home (your name) Party. The "live" TV menu system is much improved, and there are a few on-demand Disney Storybooks for kids. The new TV configuration makes bringing your own streaming device (Fire TV, Apple TV...) more difficult or possibly impossible. The TVs now support Chromecast, so video streamed to a guest phone or tablet can be displayed on the TV.

Simple setup instructions are displayed on the TV.

I tried the Disney Plus App on my iPad, and could cast Iron Man to the TV.

The room key from the Disneyland App only works for the "Primary Guest", other guests will not see the "open door" button. Specifically confirmed with Guest Services, this is normal. This means guests must still visit the registration desk to get physical keys. Online check-in could be helpful if there is a long check-in line, since guests could get into the room with the App Key and pickup physical keys later.

The televisions have been refreshed, not sure if the actual display was replaced but there is now a hotel specific control box mounted on the back. The TV turns on with a Welcome Home (your name) Party. The "live" TV menu system is much improved, and there are a few on-demand Disney Storybooks for kids. The new TV configuration makes bringing your own streaming device (Fire TV, Apple TV...) more difficult or possibly impossible. The TVs now support Chromecast, so video streamed to a guest phone or tablet can be displayed on the TV.
Interesting! My family shares the same App login (mine). So I'm hoping the room keys will show for everyone. What do you think?

Do you mean the HDMI slots are all taken now? Or that it's not possible to change inputs on the TV?

Thanks for the new details! Counting down 2 weeks here.... :thumbsup2

I am curious about the advantages of the virtual check-in. I have some room requests so I thought maybe I'd be better waiting in line. Is that the case? Thanks in advance for any advice.

My family shares the same App login (mine). So I'm hoping the room keys will show for everyone
Using a single account, it seems likely the room key will appear on all devices.
Do you mean the HDMI slots are all taken now? Or that it's not possible to change inputs on the TV?
I only did a few tests, but some odd issues:
  • An input select menu could be accessed, but the input did not switch.
  • Unplugging the Hotel Box from the display and replacing with Fire TV would show the Fire TV, but the volume control would no longer work.

I am curious about the advantages of the virtual check-in. I have some room requests so I thought maybe I'd be better waiting in line. Is that the case?
I did the online check-in as an experiment, just to see how it worked. There is only one Handicap Accessible Grand Villa, so room assignment was not an issue. I prefer a King Bed for regular hotel rooms, and regular check-in makes it easier to repeat the request. It's "early days" for online check-in, so I would use regular check-in for specific room requests.

cruisehopeful - we used FOUR gift cards to pay for part of our stay. I bought six Disney GC at the maximum Target amount ($500 each) to get the 5% Target Red Card discount and then combined them to make three $1,000 gift cards. I also had a separate $500 GC that I received from my company. The CM was happy to apply all four to our stay. I could have bought a few more (because we paid an embarrassing amount to stay club level over a weekend and three weekdays but I couldn't fathom getting food reservations at the last minute when they were clearly unavailable) so I don't know how many more they may have taken but the CM at the club concierge desk was very sweet and put all four onto my account. FYI that a physical card is apparently easier - I did it last-minute so I had e-cards and she had to call down to get someone to help her with it. She said they only had one special e-card way of doing things????

Nicole88s - we were dropped off by a car service and they asked for our names but I don't recall them asking to verify how many in the party - I think your friends will be totally fine! (I also think they could enter GC via the DT Disney area if they wanted to or had any issues. I cannot see why not! So, worst case - they can get to you!)

For Mousekeeping - we had club-level rooms for 5 nights Oct 29 - Nov 5. Nobody asked us about Mousekeeping but it was done every day. One day we left money under dishes (assuming they'd know to take the money because it was under the dirty dishes we'd obviously expect them to take) and they left it! I felt so bad! Our girls have little notepads and markers with them all of the time - if I'd realized they wouldn't take it we'd have for sure left a note! I will be getting them to make Mousekeeping envelopes in the future!

There were no robes in our room, FYI. The first night we had two chocolates left in the room. The 3rd night someone stopped to ask if we needed towels or chocolate - the room had been serviced every day (including earlier that day) but no chocolates in the evenings other than that.

I haven't read through the rest of the recent posts but I'll put what struck me while we were there:

1. Club level - if you're doing this, it's easy to pop in and out and for sure there is plenty of food to make a meal unless you're a big eater (or really enjoy a fine meal out). DH and I often share meals because they're too big at restaurants (and I'm not a tiny, healthy thing - so don't think I'm super thin and only eat salads, haha!). We ate only one meal at Flo's V8 due to poor planning and less than 30 minutes later went back to the hotel/lounge and should have just eaten there! The club has plenty of food and I didn't feel at all like I was taking too much or taking advantage. We stayed 5 nights (got in late the first night) and we only ate the one meal "out" because the it's so easy to go back because the hotel is so close. We also enjoy wine/beer and we were very happy - I wouldn't bring any or order anything extra to the room. (We brought some with us but it was a waste of luggage space.) Same for snacks for the kids - I bring suckers for very long waits and a couple of granola bars but you won't need anything for when you're in the room. They had goldfish and other goodies and we'd bring a little snack back to the room so the kids could have it there later. We weren't wasteful and I also don't think we took too much - the lounge provided what we needed for food and the CM's were the absolute best. They were kind, they were helpful. Only one semi-questionable interaction with them and we had many over 5 days! We paid for a premium view and overlooked the pool. In retrospect, I'm not sure this is worth the money. It was nice and we could see a tiny bit of DCA but not enough to make it worthwhile. If I booked again I'd pay the money for club level FOR SURE but would not pay for the premium view.

2. The proximity to DCA is THE BEST!! We've been to WDW and understand the vast difference in distances between WDW and DL. Last time we went to DL we stayed at the Anneheim Hotel and we loved it. The walk was 15 minutes, tops, and we were really happy with that. This time, the difference between walking into DCA and DL seemed very different, LOL! Our second morning entering DL, we decided to walk out to Downtown Disney and take the monorail - we loved that decision as the first morning we entered DL we waited in line for a LONG time. Maybe it was all the same in the end but we were happy to be riding the monorail instead of just waiting.

3. The pools were nice at the GF but they're not terribly special when compared to other hotels. The pool with the waterslide (which was, frankly, so low-grade that my 9- and 6-year-old said it was boring because it was so slow) is cold. The pool near the bar is better. The oval pool (kind of next to/between both of them) was the warmest in the late fall and was very nice. The hot tub was also nice!

4. Everywhere we went the staff was awesome! We encountered only two semi-poor attitudes along the way. One from a club employee who was annoyed to give change for a $20 (so we could leave a tip) and one from someone who apparently felt we should understand how the lost and found system works there (we lost a pair of goggles). Overall, we had a lot of interactions with CMs and were super impressed. Those at the concierge desk on level 6 were great. Those in the club lounge were friendly and helpful. Those at valet were friendly. We trick-or-treated at GF and DLH and everyone giving out candy was awesome even though they had to work on Halloween. Security checking bags were truly great - patient while I opened all of my zippers and did a thorough but not weirdly-too-much job of checking bags with happy/welcoming comments! Employees letting people into the parks were positive and someone told us the story of Patrick near the Indiana Jones ride (which was broken down, of course!) as well as the >100 year old palm tree. We felt truly welcome and that the CM's were excited for us to be there. I don't need this as an adult but I do love a positive experience and I was happy and grateful that my kids could experience such commraderie and positivity.

@sierrawine Thank you for all this great info. I am glad you had a fun stay. I am paying with gift cards this week at the GCH. I am wondering--did you give the CM the gift cards at the beginning of your stay at check in or just sometime during your stay?

One more question (if anyone knows the answer to my question above that would be great): if my room isn't ready when I check in, will Bell Services be able to deliver my stored luggage to the room if it is becomes available while I am in the parks?

I may be adding a couple of nights at the Grand Californian to the end of our upcoming trip but I'm worried about the number of beds. How are they as far as giving you the bed configuration you want? They have so many options listed for the courtyard view room, but we'd be in a pickle if we ended up with something like just one king bed and a sleeper chair. There are 4 of us and my kids are really tall and don't like sharing a bed with someone. My ideal would be 1 King Bed and 1 Day Bed and 1 Twin-Size Sleeper Chair ...or 2 Queen Beds and 1 Day Bed. I'm not sure how good the odds are of actually getting a room with enough beds. Any experience with this?

I may be adding a couple of nights at the Grand Californian to the end of our upcoming trip but I'm worried about the number of beds. How are they as far as giving you the bed configuration you want? They have so many options listed for the courtyard view room, but we'd be in a pickle if we ended up with something like just one king bed and a sleeper chair. There are 4 of us and my kids are really tall and don't like sharing a bed with someone. My ideal would be 1 King Bed and 1 Day Bed and 1 Twin-Size Sleeper Chair ...or 2 Queen Beds and 1 Day Bed. I'm not sure how good the odds are of actually getting a room with enough beds. Any experience with this?
I think the 2nd config you mention will be prioritized for parties of five. But it's not impossible. I think for best odds:
1) Call with your room request
2) Check-in early. If moving from other hotel, stow luggage and check-in before entering parks.
3) Politely repeat/explain your room request at the front desk. And tell them you can "wait" for the right config to come available later in the day (instead of first available room).

Usually they will either a) confirm you already have that config assigned from room request b) make a change to that config for you on the spot if available c) tell you they will do their best (outlook uncertain).

There some uncertainty now involving online check-in and how that might affect above. Online check-in gets your pre-assigned room number sent to you. They "should" take into account your room request, but you kind of forego a chance at a second look at the front desk, if needed. If room type is important, I would probably go the old fashioned route. :thumbsup2

We have two teens and we prefer the King-sleeper chair-day bed room as well. We always kindly request it in advance and again at check in, and we very rarely get it. It is one of least common rooms in the resort, I think, and they often give the King rooms to people attending conventions (which probably isn't much right now). If we can't get that, we always kindly ask for the 2 Queen with day bed so that they don't have to share a Queen. We have received that all but one time. I think that is a very common room configuration.

For a hotel this expensive, it is mind blowing that I can't reserve my bedding configuration when I book the room. I can do that at any Hilton, Hyatt, etc but not the GCH??

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter