Grand Californian Super Thread

No problem at all; they won't run out of rooms. You can do online check-in to expedite the process before your trip (add your reservation to your Disneyland.com account).

You can always call the hotel direct and put a note on your reservation that you will be arriving late. It's also a good time to add room location requests, if you have any. :thumbsup2

Thanks! I haven't checked in online as I wanted to talk to someone about room location...my daughter is disabled so we were hoping for a room between the entrance to DD and the entrance to DCA to minimize walking. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find the direct number for the hotel. 😕

For some reason when I called that, I thought it was the Disney Travel line...I'll try again, thanks!
Disney Travel line comes up a lot of times on internet search and Disney guest services website 714-956-6425 (I assume to take res calls/questions) however the main hotel line is actually 714-635-2300

https://disneyland.disney.go.com/hotels/grand-californian-hotel/

1600 S. Disneyland Drive
Anaheim, California 92802
Phone: (714) 635-2300
Fax: (714) 300-7300

Last edited:

Does 'near the Napa Rose elevators' insinuate some type of upgrade? To me, this is asking for a good location, but I'm not sure since I'm a bit of a newbie. FYI, we have our honeymoon coming up at the GCH in December, but we're waiting for a promo to come out before booking a standard room.

IMO, these rooms are NOT in the best location. I actually prefer rooms closer to the lobby elevators. We spend a lot of time in the lobby and at Hearthstone Lounge and my husband uses the gym. Having a room right off the lobby is much more convenient. It's also easier access to the DtD entrance.

IMO, these rooms are NOT in the best location. I actually prefer rooms closer to the lobby elevators. We spend a lot of time in the lobby and at Hearthstone Lounge and my husband uses the gym. Having a room right off the lobby is much more convenient. It's also easier access to the DtD entrance.
Both agree and disagree! We love the "back" elevators above Napa Rose because there's generally less traffic. It's especially nice if you're going to the pool, into DCA, Storyteller's, Napa Rose, and it's easy access to the lobby as well. However, the main elevators are equally nice because you come out with easier access to DTD, you're right in the lobby, and though there is more traffic, there are also more elevators. I don't really care which one I'm next to as long as I'm close to an elevator!

Edited to add: one of the nice things about being near the Napa Rose elevators is that you tend to be in a nicer view area, albeit often somewhat obstructed (pool, DCA),. But to be frank, the views from GCH are usually not worth the extra cost anyway IMO.

Both agree and disagree! We love the "back" elevators above Napa Rose because there's generally less traffic. It's especially nice if you're going to the pool, into DCA, Storyteller's, Napa Rose, and it's easy access to the lobby as well. However, the main elevators are equally nice because you come out with easier access to DTD, you're right in the lobby, and though there is more traffic, there are also more elevators. I don't really care which one I'm next to as long as I'm close to an elevator!

Edited to add: one of the nice things about being near the Napa Rose elevators is that you tend to be in a nicer view area, albeit often somewhat obstructed (pool, DCA),. But to be frank, the views from GCH are usually not worth the extra cost anyway IMO.
You are LITERALLY 250 Feet APART BETWEEN Elevator banks. It's not a factor. I want to be over Napa for the views and to not SQUISH SQUISH in the lobby, because that's just Tacky..

Looks like we are headed to GC over Thanksgiving holiday. :cool1:

With military discount we were unable to get the Woods View that we typically love. We enjoy and use the balcony every day on our trips for breakfast and mini breaks. Standard View ended up being the room we chose because the price increase was insane for a Premium View (didn't want Downtown Disney as we like peaceful.)

So, with that said, I would really be bummed if our Standard View is of dumpsters, a wall, or the sad parking lot. Anyone know the WORST view in the standard room? Yes, I am in a glass half empty mode right now and truly believe this will be the room we are assigned to, lol.

Looks like we are headed to GC over Thanksgiving holiday. :cool1:

With military discount we were unable to get the Woods View that we typically love. We enjoy and use the balcony every day on our trips for breakfast and mini breaks. Standard View ended up being the room we chose because the price increase was insane for a Premium View (didn't want Downtown Disney as we like peaceful.)

So, with that said, I would really be bummed if our Standard View is of dumpsters, a wall, or the sad parking lot. Anyone know the WORST view in the standard room? Yes, I am in a glass half empty mode right now and truly believe this will be the room we are assigned to, lol.
I nearly always request standard but I also ask for something close to the elevators. I usually get a good view because there aren't many rooms that don't have something nice to look at, and honestly, many of the view rooms are obstructed. While it's nice to look at trees, if you were expecting to see the park, it may be disappointing. There are some rooms that overlook the entry, but it's kind of pretty IMO, and I do think I once had a view of a rooftop, but for me it was interesting because there was some sort of basketball court or thing like that on top. To be honest, though, I don't remember which hotel that was. Could have been DLH. Anyway, I always get a nice view with standard, but of course you never know.

I nearly always request standard but I also ask for something close to the elevators. I usually get a good view because there aren't many rooms that don't have something nice to look at, and honestly, many of the view rooms are obstructed. While it's nice to look at trees, if you were expecting to see the park, it may be disappointing. There are some rooms that overlook the entry, but it's kind of pretty IMO, and I do think I once had a view of a rooftop, but for me it was interesting because there was some sort of basketball court or thing like that on top. To be honest, though, I don't remember which hotel that was. Could have been DLH. Anyway, I always get a nice view with standard, but of course you never know.

Definitely not expecting any spectacular view wise, we really just want trees and not an eyesore of AC units, roof, or wall.

Definitely not expecting any spectacular view wise, we really just want trees and not an eyesore of AC units, roof, or wall.

All the standard view rooms at the Grand look out over the main entrance and across to the DLH and PP. It's a pretty view no matter your room location. I would suggest asking for a room close to elevators and you will be over the port cochere which is actually really nice because there is a little stream/waterfall feature out there that you can hear when on the balcony.

I hate to complain because I'm going to go and stay at GCH no matter what, but since it's my first time, I kinda was hoping for some post-shutdown Disney hotel guest magic. But there's no magic mornings, no early power walk thru DCA, no housekeeping. I wish there was some extra perk (besides all the GCH amazingness, mind you) for hotel guests right now in Disneyland. Disney World hotel guests get an early time perk. And we'll be paying more for the Genie+ when that rolls out. Green eyed monster over here.

I hate to complain because I'm going to go and stay at GCH no matter what, but since it's my first time, I kinda was hoping for some post-shutdown Disney hotel guest magic. But there's no magic mornings, no early power walk thru DCA, no housekeeping. I wish there was some extra perk (besides all the GCH amazingness, mind you) for hotel guests right now in Disneyland. Disney World hotel guests get an early time perk. And we'll be paying more for the Genie+ when that rolls out. Green eyed monster over here.

Well, DLR will get the photo pass added (like old MaxPass) and WDW won't. That is something. But definitely agree, would love an added hotel perk too - for the price of GCH there should be.

(not to mention DLR is better than WDW, but yeah that is my totally biased opinion :p)

Well, DLR will get the photo pass added (like old MaxPass) and WDW won't. That is something.

I hear you...but I am not excited about this because I fear that due to staffing shortages, they'll not be a photographer around anywhere we want pics or long lines. Pass. (I know...I'm being negative, apologies...what a privilege and joy to be going to Disney!)

FYI there were lots of photographers in the parks last week - we got some great photos! The photogs seemed SUPER happy to take photos too. I really liked that they aren't using park guests cell phones to take snaps anymore: saves so much time - especially in front of the castle. We helped some families get snaps w/ their phones if they weren't using photopass!

We had housekeeping every other day. Just a refresh & towels, coffee service etc. They didn't make our beds.... there were also no robes in the room unless you request them (which we did). When we asked for additional coffee, towels, robes etc they were promptly brought to our room. We traveled to Hawaii in February to a 5 star hotel where we had full housekeeping every day. So I think it's more of a staffing issue than covid??? Hotel cast members were just as fantastic as I remember: from the front desk to security to the pool. We did have a great time.

Given low crowds I was shocked how busy the pool was - one day we had to negotiate for one chaise lounge to put our stuff for our family. It seems like the same amount of chairs/lounges as in the past so don't know what was going on???

For what we paid for the GCH I would really like to have EMH back to be honest - big caviot is that I can't believe how short the lines were in the mornings. Don't ever expect to have that experience again.

Also - we had a park view room overlooking DCA - pretty fantastic honestly. But... I don't think I'll splurge for that again. Our original park view room above Napa Rose looked straight into trees: no different than a regular view room IMO. I too love the balconies in the am and to enjoy a glass of wine in the evenings: special to look over the park when it's closed and enjoyed seeing some of the groups practice for the Halloween parade. But that's an expensive perk IMO. Next time I'll go back to the regular ol view.

Can anyone tell me what the bathtub situation is at GC? I feel like I read somewhere that there aren’t many rooms with tubs, but I would love to have one for my toddler. Thanks!

I called Costco travel today and upgraded my December trip to partial theme park view. After making the decision to postpone my February WDW trip to 2023, I thought I would treat us to an upgrade for Disneyland. Does anyone have experience with that view and what “partial” really means?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter