Grand Californian Super Thread

I have a question for those who are GCH vets- from check in to check out who are we expected to tip, can possibly tip and not allowed to tip and how much is fair? I remember someone talking about daily mouse keeping but my trip is almost here and I cannot find the post about who and how much so I give enough to the people that deserve it- TIA!

...from check in to check out who are we expected to tip, can possibly tip and not allowed to tip and how much is fair?
Valet: $5 both at drop off and pick up of car (some guests only tip at pick up)
Bell Services: $2/bag both at drop off and delivery to room (some guests only tip at delivery)
Housekeeping: $5/day
Guest Services/Concierge: I have had a tip refused, although some guest have had tips accepted.
Concierge Lounge: a few dollars left on the table, more if alcohol is served

I have a question for those who are GCH vets- from check in to check out who are we expected to tip, can possibly tip and not allowed to tip and how much is fair? I remember someone talking about daily mouse keeping but my trip is almost here and I cannot find the post about who and how much so I give enough to the people that deserve it- TIA!

Tipping seems to be more relaxed amongst DL visitors vs east coast- but that's just a personal observation lol. At Disney you can tip valet, mousekeeping, and servers. All others at Disney can get in serious trouble for taking tips. The rumor mill on the Disney World boards says the rest are instructed to refuse tips and if the guest is insistent they take it and put it in a general pot for pizza or something. I absolutely don't want to be the cause of an employee getting in trouble & I also don't want to put them in the awkward position of having to deal with having been given a forced tip. Everyone feels differently about this, some very strongly one way or the other, and this is just me. We do $2 for valet both ways & $5 mousekeeping. We never tipped the concierge or club servers. Oh, we also tip $1-2 per bag for luggage. ($2 ea suitcases, $1 ea any little personal bags, pillows, etc.) If we receive extra special service we tip more! You can also write guest services complimenting staff by name that made your day extra special.

Tipping seems to be more relaxed amongst DL visitors vs east coast- but that's just a personal observation lol. At Disney you can tip valet, mousekeeping, and servers. All others at Disney can get in serious trouble for taking tips. The rumor mill on the Disney World boards says the rest are instructed to refuse tips and if the guest is insistent they take it and put it in a general pot for pizza or something. I absolutely don't want to be the cause of an employee getting in trouble & I also don't want to put them in the awkward position of having to deal with having been given a forced tip. Everyone feels differently about this, some very strongly one way or the other, and this is just me. We do $2 for valet both ways & $5 mousekeeping. We never tipped the concierge or club servers. Oh, we also tip $1-2 per bag for luggage. ($2 ea suitcases, $1 ea any little personal bags, pillows, etc.) If we receive extra special service we tip more! You can also write guest services complimenting staff by name that made your day extra special.

Interesting comment on the east versus west coast. Having only been to DL and having just gotten back today from a stay at the GC, reading the materials in the guest booklet, this is the first time I have ever noticed they even suggested tips for housekeeping staff. Other thing, I see folks here call it Mousekeeping, not sure if that is a DW term versus DL or just a DIS term. I have stayed at all 3 Disney hotels at least twice, and never heard that term out west.

Can anyone tell me if Whitewater snacks or maybe the Acorn gift shop sells some sort of alternative (soy, rice, almond,etc.) milk?

Interesting comment on the east versus west coast. Having only been to DL and having just gotten back today from a stay at the GC, reading the materials in the guest booklet, this is the first time I have ever noticed they even suggested tips for housekeeping staff. Other thing, I see folks here call it Mousekeeping, not sure if that is a DW term versus DL or just a DIS term. I have stayed at all 3 Disney hotels at least twice, and never heard that term out west.

Lol! West Coaster here so I think I picked Mousekeeping up by cruising around the WDW DIS boards seeing what all WDW has to offer- yikes on the planning for that! I don't believe I have ever used the term outside the DIS. We had never heard mention of tipping housekeeping at Disney before reading the WDW boards here but that's my standard housekeeping tip for hotel trips now with a family. For what it's worth, and something I feel is important and admire at this property, I never once felt people were hanging around or hinting at tips or providing subpar service due to lack of tips at GCH.

...We had never heard mention of tipping housekeeping at Disney before reading the WDW boards...
Many guests do not tip housekeeping.
Marriott has introduced these envelopes:
Marriott-Campaign-Tip-Housekeeping-Maids.png

Many, many trips to GC and I also travel for business. Here is how I generally tip:

Bell Services $2 per bag total but I give half when I arrive and half when bags are delivered to the room.

Valet: I self park, where possible. If I valet then $2-3 at drop off and same at pickup. If service very quick, I increase slow valet is why I prefer self park.

Housekeeping $5 per day and $2-3 if someone brings me more towels, etc upon phone request (outside of regular daily service)

I don't use concierge. If I did and they did more than average front desk would do, $5 and up (I was a concierge many years ago in college)

Table Service servers. 18-20% and up for very good service. I could be wrong but always feel like servers at DLR or WDW see lower tips, so I tend to be more generous.

Oh myyyyyy....I think my husband is the sweetest in the world but I am definitely the planner and he doesn't understand the way things work out west.....

...first let me confirm that what I think I know is right.... At GCH the only rooms with the daybed are standard view and there's VERY few of them. As in, less than 50 total. Right? If you have 5 adults in a room and you don't get the daybed they have some sort of sleeping something for the 5th person on the floor? Not a rollaway bed but not exactly a sleeping bag? Is that right????

We've got a standard room booked at GCH for next month. My brother is joining us. A friend of mine was also going to come crash with us a few nights. Well, DH thought it'd be a great surprise to fly one of my good friends out to "bump" into us while we're there. She would make 5 adults. The husband clued me into everything he's been up to and he's like, "it'll be fine...." but I don't want anyone sleeping on the FLOOR! Are you kidding me?! I would feel so terrible!

So if we list out all 5 adults on the reservation AND add a request to get a daybed room will it increase our chances maybe? Or, in your "professional" opinions (<--:worship: ), should I just eat the money and book a second room?

No it's a sleeping bag... A very nice Lands End one... With a pad for underneath... We usually request 2 and I sleep on 2 pads and two sleeping bags with a blanket... It's much more comfortable that way...

No it's a sleeping bag... A very nice Lands End one... With a pad for underneath... We usually request 2 and I sleep on 2 pads and two sleeping bags with a blanket... It's much more comfortable that way...

Thanks for the quick response. Sleeping bag. Oh my. Sooooo...think I'm leaning towards that 2nd room. I just cannot fathom anyone sleeping in sleeping bags on the floor. I hate to spend the money but I just don't see a way around it. Plus, 5 adults trying to get showered/dressed. Yeah, 2nd room. Oh husband of mine. Why does he do this to me???? :headache:

Such a silly question but… are floats and toys allowed at the pool at the GC?

We have brought blow up rings, small pool footballs, noodles and goggles and have never been told to take them out. Obviously you don't want something large like a raft that would get in people's way since there are many guests using the pools.

They also have organized fun & games by the pool for the kids in the afternoon. My kids enjoyed it and got to pick small prizes.

We have brought blow up rings, small pool footballs, noodles and goggles and have never been told to take them out. Obviously you don't want something large like a raft that would get in people's way since there are many guests using the pools.

They also have organized fun & games by the pool for the kids in the afternoon. My kids enjoyed it and got to pick small prizes.

Thanks for that super speedy reply! My kid is an absolute fish, even here during Chicago winters he swims 5 days a week. I am keeping my fingers crossed that the weather will cooperate a month from now. "Fun and games by the pool" sounds, well, FUN!

Thanks for that super speedy reply! My kid is an absolute fish, even here during Chicago winters he swims 5 days a week. I am keeping my fingers crossed that the weather will cooperate a month from now. "Fun and games by the pool" sounds, well, FUN!

They keep the pools heated so he should be able to swim regardless of our temps. We are having a week of winter right now. It was 40 degrees at 7:30 in Anaheim this morning. January & Feb tend to be our cooler months but you really can't predict anymore. Just grab extra towels and have fun!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter