Grand Californian Super Thread

You likely already found my previous post on suite locations :thumbsup2

The likely suite locations (previously posted):
locations.jpg

The DCA entrance is below x339-x340 (approximately).

The suites with the most convenient access to the DCA entrance:
x329, x331 (above Napa Rose, below El Capitan 6329) (theme park view)
x312, x318 (above Storytellers, below Arcadia 6314) (pool view)

No suites have any view of WOC :(

Yes!...This is the map I had found, :) but I wasn't sure I was reading it correctly. So those marked in red are the 1 bedroom suites and an adjacent room would be opened to make it a 2 bedroom??

MANY thanks for the info!! It is amazing the amount of info packed in this thread...and how helpful it is when trying to plan, especially when it is your first time at GCH. :worship:

You likely already found my previous post on suite locations :thumbsup2

The likely suite locations (previously posted):
locations.jpg

The DCA entrance is below x339-x340 (approximately).

The suites with the most convenient access to the DCA entrance:
x329, x331 (above Napa Rose, below El Capitan 6329) (theme park view)
x312, x318 (above Storytellers, below Arcadia 6314) (pool view)

No suites have any view of WOC :(

One more question...does the monorail track run by 329 and 331?

Howdy,

Planning our first DL trip with our two kids 9 and 4 and I am trying to decide between the GC and PP. I admit, it is an unusual dilemma and I am aware of the significant quality and cost difference, so let me explain.

We are coming in from Montana where natural beauty abounds. I live in a valley surrounded by mountains etc. So... one of my top priorities in selecting a room is a view of the park lights at night. Something along the lines of Eosphotog's pictures in post #3275 on page 219 of this thread (I'd post the image and the link, but I am not allowed to do either as a newbie).

My question for this thread is, it would appear that to get this kind of view from GC, one would have to stay in the even numbered *240-*260 rooms or the even numbered suites in that same wing. It is clear from Nonsuch's map that the suites are VGC properties, but I am wondering if the rooms *240-*260 are as well, or if these are resort properties that are available to non-VGC guests?

Thanks

-bsd

Not sure when you are planning to travel... Have you considered renting DVC points so you can get a villa?

Howdy,

Planning our first DL trip with our two kids 9 and 4 and I am trying to decide between the GC and PP. I admit, it is an unusual dilemma and I am aware of the significant quality and cost difference, so let me explain.

We are coming in from Montana where natural beauty abounds. I live in a valley surrounded by mountains etc. So... one of my top priorities in selecting a room is a view of the park lights at night. Something along the lines of Eosphotog's pictures in post #3275 on page 219 of this thread (I'd post the image and the link, but I am not allowed to do either as a newbie).

My question for this thread is, it would appear that to get this kind of view from GC, one would have to stay in the even numbered *240-*260 rooms or the even numbered suites in that same wing. It is clear from Nonsuch's map that the suites are VGC properties, but I am wondering if the rooms *240-*260 are as well, or if these are resort properties that are available to non-VGC guests?

Thanks

-bsd

Somewhere in my Trip Report I list our room numbers with a view of Soarin and the Rapids and the monorail coming by...and at the end I list the room #'s with the view of Mickey's Death Wheel and Goofy Sky. That might help.

We had a room that overlooked the entrance to DCA from The Grand and at night had the Grizzy Bear lit up right outside our patio windows. It was amazing to have the sounds and smells.

We usually pay to upgrade to Park View rooms at The Grand and love love love it.

The maps linked in my signature are color coded to show villa types, the non-colored (white) are regular hotel rooms.

Thanks. That is exactly what I assumed, but you know what happens when we assume.

Not sure when you are planning to travel... Have you considered renting DVC points so you can get a villa?

No, I hadn't. Thanks for the heads up and I will look into this.

Somewhere in my Trip Report I list our room numbers with a view of Soarin and the Rapids and the monorail coming by...and at the end I list the room #'s with the view of Mickey's Death Wheel and Goofy Sky. That might help.

Thanks. I saw your report, but missed that you gave the room # for that great view. That *242 would be perfect if I could get it.

Since we will be there Mar 28 -Apr 3, I suspect I will go with PP as it will be vastly more likely to get what I want for a view, but (like I suspect most on these boards are) I am a research fiend and like to figure out all of my options before I commit. If we make it back at a slower time of year, I will definitely give GC a try.

Of course, my daughter would LOVE the headboards at DLH so...

- bsd

Great map!

I have a 1BR DVC Villa booked for early December. From the map, it looks like X522 is a corner room. Can you tell me if there are windows on two sides of the Master BR? Or are there only windows on the south-facing side of the Villa?

Since we will be there Mar 28 -Apr 3, I suspect I will go with PP as it will be vastly more likely to get what I want for a view, but (like I suspect most on these boards are) I am a research fiend and like to figure out all of my options before I commit. If we make it back at a slower time of year, I will definitely give GC a try.

Of course, my daughter would LOVE the headboards at DLH so...

- bsd

A pp suggested that you check into renting DVC points. Because there are so few villas at GCV, they are tough to get into. There is normally a lot of availability from 11 months until right before the 7 month window opens as only DVC members with GCV as their home resort can book during that time. Once the 7 month window opens, it pretty much books up. Typically, studios book first, then 2 bedroom villas, then 1 bedroom villas. For your dates, only two nights are available in a 2 bedroom, and they are not consecutive nights.

Editing to add that for DVC members, room requests are just that...requests. There is no guarantee. We have been very lucky the majority of the time and have gotten Paradise Pier views, but on our last trip, we had a pool view villa. That said, we never request any particular view.

...I have a 1BR DVC Villa booked for early December. From the map, it looks like X522 is a corner room. Can you tell me if there are windows on two sides of the Master BR? Or are there only windows on the south-facing side of the Villa?
X522 villas only have windows on the south-facing side, the GV 4522 does have one side window (in the dining room).

There are floor by floor maps for the VGC wing linked in my signature.
Unfortunately, I do not have enough information to create similar maps for the entire hotel.

X522 villas only have windows on the south-facing side, the GV 4522 does have one side window (in the dining room).

Unfortunately, I do not have enough information to create similar maps for the entire hotel.

Thanks for your help.

Thanks for making the maps! Very helpful!! :thumbsup2 Do you happen to know which of the 2-bedrooms are the "dedicated" villas?

Thanks for making the maps! Very helpful!! :thumbsup2 Do you happen to know which of the 2-bedrooms are the "dedicated" villas?

Ooh! I can answer this one!

The 2BR dedicated villas are the ones on the map above which are wide. The slightly narrower ones are 1BRs, and the narrow ones are studios. All of the studios have connecting doors to a 1BR, which will make the resulting villa a 2BR lockoff.

Ooh! I can answer this one!

The 2BR dedicated villas are the ones on the map above which are wide. The slightly narrower ones are 1BRs, and the narrow ones are studios. All of the studios have connecting doors to a 1BR, which will make the resulting villa a 2BR lockoff.

Thanks!!! :flower3:

Thanks for the info, I just can't wait to go!

We have the Chef's tasting on December 7th! We had Executive Chef Sutton when we went last October and it was fantastic. We will likely never get that lucky again, but have our fingers crossed. Be sure to skip the prepared tasting menu and ask the chef to "cook for you". It's a bit pricier, but worth every penny as they are creative and cater to your likes and avoid dislikes or dietary issues.

Enjoy!

Mike

We have the Chef's tasting on December 7th! We had Executive Chef Sutton when we went last October and it was fantastic. We will likely never get that lucky again, but have our fingers crossed. Be sure to skip the prepared tasting menu and ask the chef to "cook for you". It's a bit pricier, but worth every penny as they are creative and cater to your likes and avoid dislikes or dietary issues.

Enjoy!

Mike

That is exactly what we want to do!

Can you answer two questions about this for me please?

1. can you do the wine flight with this?
2. If you know, what is the cost for this and also the wine flight? (Not that it really matters, we are going to do this regardless of the cost, but I'm a finance person, I like to know what things cost! :) )

That is exactly what we want to do!

Can you answer two questions about this for me please?

1. can you do the wine flight with this?
2. If you know, what is the cost for this and also the wine flight? (Not that it really matters, we are going to do this regardless of the cost, but I'm a finance person, I like to know what things cost! :) )

I actually think it's the same prix fixe cost. You just can choose when you sit at the Chef's Counter if you want items already on the menu or the "Chef's Choice" which the chef will have made specifically for the counter. I believe it was $99 and the wine flights are $50 and they choose the pairings to go with the choices of items they are serving you.

We had 9 courses of small items and 6 wines.

Just make sure you call the restaurant directly to book it - and strangely no credit card is needed like at the DLR.

I actually think it's the same prix fixe cost. You just can choose when you sit at the Chef's Counter if you want items already on the menu or the "Chef's Choice" which the chef will have made specifically for the counter. I believe it was $99 and the wine flights are $50 and they choose the pairings to go with the choices of items they are serving you. We had 9 courses of small items and 6 wines. Just make sure you call the restaurant directly to book it - and strangely no credit card is needed like at the DLR.

How far in advance can you book? Is it the same 60 days like all the other disneyland restaurants?

That is exactly what we want to do! Can you answer two questions about this for me please? 1. can you do the wine flight with this? 2. If you know, what is the cost for this and also the wine flight? (Not that it really matters, we are going to do this regardless of the cost, but I'm a finance person, I like to know what things cost! :) )
Yes, you can do the wine parings and they are amazing, I don't recall the price, sorry. The meal and the paring made for an amazing evening! I know you will love it.
Mike

Yes, you can do the wine parings and they are amazing, I don't recall the price, sorry. The meal and the paring made for an amazing evening! I know you will love it. Mike
I called at the 60 day window this year. They have 2 settings so be sure to get the seating you want. We are doing the later seating (8pm) because we have to attend a reception that evening associated with the meeting I'm attending. When we did this in October 2013 we had only 1 other couple at the counter, but I think due to the Candlelight Processional and the big pharmacy meeting things may be a bit busier around the resort.
Mike

1. Giant gingerbread!!! This year there is going to be a (brand new) 6 ft. tall gingerbread house -- with a window/counter for selling hot chocolate -- in the lobby of the Grand Californian!! I have no idea if it will be made of real gingerbread (as its counterpart at the Grand Floridian at WDW is made), or if it will be faux gingerbread -- as was the case with the giant gingerbread Castle in the Disneyland Hotel's Fantasy Tower lobby last year. I'm not even sure exactly where in the GCH lobby the house will go in relation to the giant tree. But it's coming soon, so be on the lookout. I am guessing that it will go up about a week before Thanksgiving, or by the pre-Thanksgiving weekend;
Featured in the Disney Parks Blog:
First Look at the New Gingerbread House at Disney’s Grand Californian Hotel & Spa at Disneyland Resort

CGB707422-613x332.png

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter