Votes: 326 61.0%
  • Mild nausea

Votes: 137 25.7%
  • GotG was a vomit comet for me

Votes: 9 1.7%
  • Bad nausea

Votes: 62 11.6%

• Total voters
No problems for me at all, but saw the effect it had on a lot of people at the interior exit right when you get out of your ride vehicle. Many people literally hugging the trash cans, and CM's walking around with puke bags and cleaning bottles.

For reference, no ride or coaster has ever made me nauseated except for Forbidden Journey, though I read they tweaked it since it first opened because people were getting motion sickness (no idea if that's true or not).

I never get dizzy or sick on rides, but this one got to me.

I had to sit for 10-15 minutes after getting off for the dizziness to subside. After that, I was totally fine.

I don’t know if poll choices can be added once a poll has been posted, but agree not everyone gets nauseated with motion sickness.
I was very nauseated, but also felt shaky and weak right before getting off. As our vehicle came to a stop, I remember thinking, « I hope I can stand up and get off ». Once I actually stood up, I was not unsteady or dizzy.
Not on this ride, but I do have Friends whose motion sickness gives them vertigo, but only sometimes nausea.

Reading different threads and comments on Social Media, I had estimated about 20-30% of the comments indicated they got at least mildly nauseous, severely nauseous or actually got sick. So, it’s interesting to see the results on this poll.
I wish they would make some ‘non-ride’ options for these rides that are just too intense for some people. Like maybe a themed shuttle with view screens and some motion for people who can’t do the whole experience (similar to the shuttle/first ride vehicle on Rise of Resistance).

i was a basket case coming off expedition everest the only time i rode it.
Everyone said it's just a more intense version of thunder mountain.
No. I was fine until we got to the backwards section and then i thought i was going to die.
It wasn't just nausea, it was the most awful feeling i've ever had on a ride.
Thought my brain was going to explode.
It took me hours to recover!

i was a basket case coming off expedition everest the only time i rode it.
Everyone said it's just a more intense version of thunder mountain.
No. I was fine until we got to the backwards section and then i thought i was going to die.
It wasn't just nausea, it was the most awful feeling i've ever had on a ride.
Thought my brain was going to explode.
It took me hours to recover!
EE was a one and done and it was the backwards portion for me as well!

I made a point to ask my friends if the backwards on Hagrid's was like EE and they said not really and they were correct, however Hagrid's was just a bit too intense for me, the backwards part not being the worst of it for me, but still affected me

EE was a one and done and it was the backwards portion for me as well!

I made a point to ask my friends if the backwards on Hagrid's was like EE and they said not really and they were correct, however Hagrid's was just a bit too intense for me, the backwards part not being the worst of it for me, but still affected me

we're going to universal for the first time since 2011. And back in 2011, we only went as day guests.
This time we're going for 3 days (hear that disney? it's your fault we're doing that!!)
I doubt i'll ride any of the harry potter related rides, but i know my son and grandchildren are very much looking forward to the HP areas and rides!!
The second grader has been reading harry potter books to get ready. LOL

Curious what the nausea/motion sickness level is on this ride compared to some other Disney rides (Everest, RNR, Space Mountain, Etc). I tend to not like rides that go backwards so that has me concerned.

Curious what the nausea/motion sickness level is on this ride compared to some other Disney rides (Everest, RNR, Space Mountain, Etc). I tend to not like rides that go backwards so that has me concerned.
I'll play.

I can ride EVERYTHING at Disney World except spinning Mission. EVERYTHING. I even put up with Teacups for my son. I have vertigo but I can usually work around it. At Universal I CAN NOT ride Forbidden Journey but can ride Gringotts and love it (since folks are comparing). No Simpsons either.

We went on Tuesday. Hearing reports myself and other DS (who also has vertigo) took motion sickness pills in advance and wore seabands. No chances taken. The coaster portion is AWESOME!, the props you pass no issues, but the screens .............. UGH. I began to struggle and just focused on the guy in front of me (we were back seat). DS was front seat so he couldn't focus on car in front of him because they spin individually. I feel kinda sad because I missed so much but no way I could keep watching the screen. On simulator I can close my eyes but you can't on this, too much movement.

The backwards part is really nothing at the beginning and there might have been some inside but I had lost my spatial awareness of what we where going other than lots of movement. Some parts I could see track (if going down) so I tried to look at that like in RnR. RnR and Everest are absolute favorites of mine at any parks. I could ride RnR over and over and be just fine. This adds a spin to a screen that changes the experience.

We both got off quite woozy, I was clammy and a sweat. There is only one bench walking out I saw and it was taken by a couple where she was white, yellow and green - he was fanning her. After a ride people are usually pumped and talking and "that was so cool" .... silence. As we approached the bathroom the lines were huge, even the mens was wrapped outside. Watched a second and folks coming out with wet towels. I thought DS was going in but he said he'd never use that bathroom again as he imagines lots of folks went in to puke. [Other son has no issues].

I was nauseous and clamming for a couple hours then fine after some coke & peppermints.

EVERYONE SHOULD TRY IT - the coaster portion is amazing, the queue was amazing, the preshows were great, the props are cool. DS is a coaster fanatic, will even go alone to to a park to try a new one. He said we didn't have to schedule another day to ride it. He said "I love it and hate it. Had so much potential, not sure why they chose to create the same scenario Forbidden Journey. The prop work could have been expanded to create same story. Disappointed in imagineering."

Another HUGE MISTAKE. To leave you must climb a set up stairs to get over the track (might be one side only) and then go down huge stair case to get out to ground level. When you don't feel tip top that was a big task.

It is a mouse coaster inside Space Mountain, with a couple props like Rock N Roller Coaster and lots of screening like Flight of Passage. But the movement of the coaster past the screening is a trigger to the balance senses, for some.

Last edited:
There are a couple of threads about people’s reactions to it; from what I’ve seen on other posts and social media, around 20-25% of riders have severe nausea or throw up. And around another 20% have lower levels of nausea. Most of the threads talk about nausea, but not a lot about other issues.

This thread had a poll about motion sickness on Guardians of the Galaxy
It ONLY asked about nausea, not other reactions related to riding. A lot of people added their experiences to the thread and some said they had no nausea, but had vertigo or other issues.

I was in the severe nausea group, but was able (just) to avoid throwing up. I had taken Dramamine before because I was worried about the turning (Omni- action motion). Looking straight ahead helps some people, but didn’t help me because when you are looking straight ahead, your ride vehicle is often traveling sideways.
I felt really bad for about 15 minutes and don’t want to do it again. But, now with some time, I’m glad I did it once (but, once is enough for me).

I don’t ride Expedition Everest or Rock N Roller Coaster, but don’t have a problem with 7 Dwarfs. I can do spinning with no problem on things like Rise of the Resistance, Remy, Toy Story Mania, Runaway Railroad, Dumbo. I had no problems on Harry Potter Forbidden Journey, Smuggler’s Run or Star Tours. I got slightly nauseous after the couple quick up and downs on Slinky Dog.
I can’t do the Teacups - mostly because it turns in more than one direction at a time.

This ride is interesting because some people who normally are not prone to motion sickness got it and others who get it from almost any ride didn’t have any problems. I think it has to do with what individual people have problems with, if they are present in this ride and how they are combined in this ride.
It doesn‘t have:
- drops
- jerking movements
- bumps from going up hill
- extended spinning
- any inversions

It does have:
- a backwards launch
- very smooth motion
- almost constant banking, some of it very steep. Most roller coasters have hills or flat places where you can catch your breath and recover before the next. This one doesn’t
- some sharp turns, often while banking
- the ride car turns sideways to point you at scenes (think Haunted Mansion at high speed)
- darkness
- screens with something going on somewhere most of the time
- banking while your ride car is turned sideways

For me, I think the issues included the almost constant banking, sharp turns and the ride car being sideways while going forward on the track (often while banking.

I agree with @HopperFan description, especially that it seems like a mouse type roller coaster. The big difference comparing it to that type is the spinning is directed on this compared to random on other mouse types

There's an elevator that can be used instead of the stairs at the end, from what I am hearing there may be a lot of persons waiting to use the elevator though.

No one I rode with had any issues, it was a preview so I didn't see anybody lined up for the loo afterward, but there was a code V on the ride that had to be cleaned up just before we boarded the second time.

It is not the backwards launch that will get you, it is all the screens causing the nausea. It is similar to the experience of riding the the back seat of the car, looking out the window. Your body is experiencing one thing, but your eyes are telling your brain something else (that you are not moving).

Your question has been merged with a thread that has a lot of information on this exact topic including a poll at the beginning.

We were able to ride it twice on Monday. A tiny bit of queasiness when first getting off, but subsided after only a few minutes - not unlike many other rides.

It is difficult to keep your eyes on the screen(s) the entire time. And I do think if you don't focus on the screen, you won't feel it as much. We also didn't notice people waiting for the elevator, heading for the restrooms, or doing a lot of complaining after getting off. All in all, we all thought it's a great ride...although I'll say this, Chris Pratt clearly was not interested in doing these scenes for the pre-show. He totally mailed it in.

My wife and I both get nausea on FOP, Everest, and mild symptoms on TOT... neither of us had any issues with GOTG.

This ride is very much a case-by-case situation when it comes to motion sickness, moreso than most others. But here's our experience:

• My husband and elderly father have no issues with motion sickness on any ride. They both rode GotG with no problems.
  • After hearing the stories, I was paranoid after getting off the ride, keeping an eye on other guests to see if anyone showed signs of illness. I personally didn't notice anyone who seemed to be unwell (but it was like 30 seconds as I was leaving).
  • I feel varying degrees of motion sickness on rides... here are some examples (all are how I feel having taken Dramamine the night before):
    • Flight of Passage and Star Tours: basically fine
    • Rock n' Roller Coaster (and most other "regular" coasters, including those that go upside-down): generally fine
    • Tower of Terror and HP Forbidden Journey: I can do them, but just once per trip, and I feel "off"/a bit nauseous afterwards, but nothing horrible
    • Mission Space: Orange and Teacups (basically anything that spins): no way, I feel terrible for the whole day afterwards
  • For GotG, I felt a little worse than the "ToT tier" afterwards... moderately nauseous, but after sitting down for a few minutes (and taking a couple of ginger tablets) I was okay. The first half of the ride was actually fine, and for the whole ride I was purposely not focusing on the screens. Something about the movement later in the ride just triggered the motion sickness more.

For people who get motion sickness very easily, I would say that GotG is a definite no-go. If you're on the fence, or are willing to "fight through it" a bit (and take medicine) like me, I think it's definitely worth it at least once.. it's a very fun ride.

although I'll say this, Chris Pratt clearly was not interested in doing these scenes for the pre-show. He totally mailed it in.

It's supposed to be a TV interview - not a theatrical production. I thought he was pretty dead on as to how Star Lord would be in a television interview. (No, I'm not his biggest fan, but I thought how he did that was exactly right for being a character doing a television interview.)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter