Votes: 326 61.0%
  • Mild nausea

Votes: 137 25.7%
  • GotG was a vomit comet for me

Votes: 9 1.7%
  • Bad nausea

Votes: 62 11.6%

• Total voters
I had no issues with motion sickness - I rode twice pretty much back to back. I didn't take anything. For reference, I get mild nausea with Remy and MS (plus an awful headache on that one). I have a hard time with most Universal simulator rides - Forbidden Journey being the worst for me.

I believe the active ingredient in Dramamine “less drowsy” and Bonine is meclazine.

It is for less drowsy dramamine. And if you need more than the little container of less drowsy dramamine you can get generic meclazine on amazon for 5-7 bucks for 100 pills. I have an issue with my ear crystals getting loose and sometimes need to take it to help get them back to behaving :) Also use it at disney to keep the ear happy but also need it for ToT as it's the up and down that causes nausea.

Bonine says it works “up to 24 hours”. I just take it at night right before going to sleep and have no issues with feeling drowsy the next day and seems to help with motion sickness.

Bonine says it works “up to 24 hours”. I just take it at night right before going to sleep and have no issues with feeling drowsy the next day and seems to help with motion sickness.
Yes, this is what I do too but was wondering if it would work better taking it in the morning? It seems to help but I don’t push my luck on things that I know will make me sick.

Yes, this is what I do too but was wondering if it would work better taking it in the morning? It seems to help but I don’t push my luck on things that I know will make me sick.

I took meclizine every night of our trip (beginning the night before we left for vacation). It worked great for everything we rode....except GotG. Our ride time for GotG was 12pm, so fairly early in the day. I still got mega queesy while riding but it resolved reasonably fast afterwards.

How does this compare to Harry Potter Forbidden Journey at Universal? I rode that ride one time and you could not pay me enough money to ride it again (okay maybe like $500 would do it).
I had no issues riding Harry Potter Forbidden Journey, even rode it twice within an hour one time.
This made me very, very nauseated within about 30-45 seconds. I don’t normally have issues, but can‘t do Teacups. I can do Dumbo, Magic Carpets, so Ithink the issue with teacups is spinning in 2 planes. I got slightly sick feeling on Slinky Dog in the part with the several small up and down hills right in a row, but was fine before I got off.

How does this compare to Harry Potter Forbidden Journey at Universal? I rode that ride one time and you could not pay me enough money to ride it again (okay maybe like $500 would do it).
No its not like that. It is mostly a fast roller coaster with some spinning mixed in. You could say the spinning parts were more like Gringotts.

It just isn't like any other ride. I get a bit head heavy atfter HPFJ but had no issues on GOTG.

Very smooth ride. I take Bonine everyday when I go to the parks, so took as usual in the morning and I had no issues (2pm ride)

Edit to add: we did row 9.

The thing that I find most interesting is that some people who never/seldom have issues with motion sickness are having problems with this ride and some who have problems with lots of rides aren’t having problems. Some have also found their usual medication for motion sickness isn’t working on this and others report it working better than usual.

I think the biggest variable might be what kind of motion causes issues for people on other rides and to what extent/how it is present on this.
For some people, it’s screens. For others, it’s the up and down of roller coasters, the drops or how smooth the motion is. For some it’s spinning, especially being turned in a direction that doesn’t match the direction the vehicle is going. For some, it’s banking or turns. Or how long the ‘problem’ motion lasts.

This is a fast, but smooth roller coaster with pretty much constant banking. It has a backwards launch, which wasn’t a problem for me, but might be an issue/disorienting for some.
It’s pretty much constant banking turn going right into another banking turn. Many of the turns are pretty tight and there are no lifts or slower spots to give a breather between banking. There are screens everywhere you look and the ride car uses ‘Omni-motion’ like Haunted Mansion to point your ride car toward the screen/area you are supposed to look like. The difference is the speed of motion - it’s one thing to have your doom buggy sideways compared to the track while going slow. It’s very different to do the same thing on a fast, banked turn.
Guests who don’t have issues with those specific elements or combinations might not have issues.

Thanks! That's what I've heard a couple times now. I went to cvs to buy bonine and of course, it was sold out. I'll keep checking back.
I ordered it on Amazon since I couldn’t find it in the store
Thanks! That's what I've heard a couple times now. I went to cvs to buy bonine and of course, it was sold out. I'll keep checking back.
i ordered mine on Amazon. Sixteen pills for under $6.

I was fine, but one member of our party had to sit down for about 10 minutes.

I took a couple meclazine beforehand so no real issue. I did feel like I concentrated on not feeling nauseated so didn’t enjoy as much as I might have. I do think it is a great, creative ride that most people will enjoy. To give a little context, I can’t do MS at all and can “overdose“ on SM and BTMRR if I ride too many times.

For some it’s spinning, especially being turned in a direction that doesn’t match the direction the vehicle is going
Yep, once the center of balance is thrown off, our bodies react in a defense mode of sorts causing all sorts of motion sickness issues
Or how long the ‘problem’ motion lasts.
The last half minute or so backwards on EE is rough for me
This is a fast, but smooth roller coaster with pretty much constant banking. It has a backwards launch, which wasn’t a problem for me, but might be an issue/disorienting for some.
Hmm, any idea how long & fast (g force?) this backwards launch is?

Sounds like it just might be a trigger for me. I’ve read a few people describe it as somewhere between 7dwarves & BTM. was expecting a cake walk. Ugh

Regardless, will give it a go, if only once. especially since Tron is off the table for me after trying the test seats they had in the MK pre-pandemic. No way would i want to be in that position on a coaster

do have issues on some scenes in FoP. experienced vertigo a long time ago after a particularly aggressive coaster at Cedar Point. the sort of extreme dizziness that lasted for over a week. Awful. Balance was quite affected. went on a Rx for a bit that finally fixed it but made me so tired. Wouldn’t work in the parks

Coping hints the dr did give me That helped:

never close my eyes on a ride…just avert them (open) to lower corner of screen or inside ride vehicle if possible when things start to get wonky.

however, the key is not actually bend neck. need to keep head square with shoulders & level best you can. It does help, has taken me time to not just instinctively duck my head, trickier than it sounds

the patch causes same sea-sick feeling when it take it off, boomerang sort of thing as it was described to me. The non drowsy bonine seems to work the best when I do cruise.

last few years, I’ve been able to just avoid the worst rides and otherwise carry Gin-Gin candies. They really do the trick for me! I also make to sure to never ride any trigger sort of things either on an empty stomach or one too full…toast or some crackers & tackling the troublesome attraction before lunch seems to work the best for me.

So I couldn't answer your poll.

Motion sickness doesn't singularly make people nauseated.

I had motion sickness and Guardians triggered it but it wasn't so much that I was nauseated but that I felt very jittery and slightly dizzy.

The spinning was a main concern for me and that did get me but it was more the graphics of the screen combined with that. I can handle MIB over at Universal in the spinning there as I just quickly close my eyes and the spinning isn't bad to me but spinning combined with the graphics I just had to have my eyes closed for most of the Guardians ride and hold on tight. However anything that routinely spins even without graphics will get my motion sickness going (no tea cups for me but I can handle Alien Swirling Saucers). I'm not sure if the spinning alone in Guardians would have done it to me or not but I suspect it would have because it was a fast moving ride vehicle so that can induce motion sickness issues right there. The one time I rode it it stopped half-way through glitching and we finished out the ride in darkness with no audio/music.

An interesting thing I noticed was on our 2017 trip for FOP I couldn't have my eyes open for too long at a time before triggering the motion sickness. But this trip we had last week I used slim fit foam ear plugs (due to some loud noises in various rides figured I'd try and help myself in that department) and I'm not sure what but that seemed to really help and I had my eyes open for probably 95% of FOP and it didn't trigger my motion sickness. Closing my eyes is what helps me when it comes to motion sickness on rides, I can't just try and focus on a fixed object. On the other hand on an airplane I still get some motion sickness during take off and for that one I need to focus on something fixed (I usually look at the bathroom sign at the front of the plane) and I cannot have my head rested on the headrest so I keep it up until altitude is reached.

I'm glad I did Guardians (I was talked into it by my awesome DISer friends who had just ridden it) but it was a one and done for me.

Motion sickness can be really difficult to anticipate as some rides in some points in your life you may be fine and other ones you won't. One of our DISer friends down there when we were found it really interesting the different types of rides that do and don't trigger it for me. Space Mountain front to back sitting in WDW is a no no for me but side to side at DLR is great for me, Test Track is amazing for me one of my fav rides but ToT is a no go these days for me. Every person is different and different things trigger someone.

I do think Guardians may be WDW's version of The Simpsons Ride. It may not get as many people ill feeling but it seems like the ride that is hitting people more consistently.

I did not have any issues with motion sickness on this ride. I did, however, take a dramamine a few hours before I rode. It was awesome btw..

I do always have issues with Star Tours, FOP, a little bit on Remy so I close my eyes.. Soarin can also bother me.. won't even try Mission Space and haven't ridden a carousel in years! I don't like to spin... good 'ol vertigo!

But a dramamine a couple hours before I was able to ride this ride twice with no issues!

won't even try Mission Space and haven't ridden a carousel in years! I don't like to spin... good 'ol vertigo!
I can do Mission Space but only the green version. That one I suspect hits people even on the green who don't do well with enclosed spaces, it gets pretty tight in there but no way can I handle the Orange. My husband indulges me on going on the green version then I let him go off and ride the Orange for the "real" experience lol

ETA: you might look up the different experiences with Mission Space if you've never ridden it. Green is for those who would be prone to motion sickness, Orange does spin and is for those who want a more intense experience with more g-forces.

Another thing is All those blinking lights … Be forewarned .
I did notice the castmembers explaining to the two guests in front of me to ask for a certain row number because this is a little better location to avoid dizziness, or nausea, I guess.
So be sure to ask for seating advice if this is your first ride.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter