Votes: 326 61.0%
  • Mild nausea

Votes: 137 25.7%
  • GotG was a vomit comet for me

Votes: 9 1.7%
  • Bad nausea

Votes: 62 11.6%

• Total voters
1St ride no problem. 2nd a little queasy. 3rd ride in a row at the D23 event I had to step away.
The cucumber Sprite helped.
Went back for rides 4 and 5 and had to step away. One of the places with the moon was a lot to deal with. After fireworks we want back for the last ride and I was not feeling good at all. Usually Star Tours is the only ride that I get queasy on. I don't typically take men's for it.

…..Hmm, any idea how long & fast (g force?) this backwards launch is?

…Sounds like it just might be a trigger for me. I’ve read a few people describe it as somewhere between 7dwarves & BTM. was expecting a cake walk. Ugh…
Not sure how long the backwards launch is, but it didn’t feel that long. It wasn’t something that bothered me, so didn’t pay much attention to the length.

I‘ve read combination of 7 Dwarves, Space Mountain 5.0 and Expedition Everest.
…never close my eyes on a ride…just avert them (open) to lower corner of screen or inside ride vehicle if possible when things start to get wonky….

…last few years, I’ve been able to just avoid the worst rides and otherwise carry Gin-Gin candies. They really do the trick for me! I also make to sure to never ride any trigger sort of things either on an empty stomach or one too full…toast or some crackers & tackling the troublesome attraction before lunch seems to work the best for me.
The screens/motion are all around you - like Space Mountain, so there is no edge of the screen to look at.
I never close my eyes anyway. I did try to lower my eyes to look at the only part of the ride that was still compared to me - the floor of the ride vehicle. But, because the vehicle has no doors, doing that still showed me a lot of motion and sometimes the track.

I didn’t go on any empty stomach - it was around 2 and we had had a very late breakfast. We did eat lunch after (glad I had not eaten lunch before)

So I couldn't answer your poll.

Motion sickness doesn't singularly make people nauseated.

I had motion sickness and Guardians triggered it but it wasn't so much that I was nauseated but that I felt very jittery and slightly dizzy….

…I do think Guardians may be WDW's version of The Simpsons Ride. It may not get as many people ill feeling but it seems like the ride that is hitting people more consistently.
I don’t know if poll choices can be added once a poll has been posted, but agree not everyone gets nauseated with motion sickness.
I was very nauseated, but also felt shaky and weak right before getting off. As our vehicle came to a stop, I remember thinking, « I hope I can stand up and get off ». Once I actually stood up, I was not unsteady or dizzy.
Not on this ride, but I do have Friends whose motion sickness gives them vertigo, but only sometimes nausea.

Reading different threads and comments on Social Media, I had estimated about 20-30% of the comments indicated they got at least mildly nauseous, severely nauseous or actually got sick. So, it’s interesting to see the results on this poll.
I wish they would make some ‘non-ride’ options for these rides that are just too intense for some people. Like maybe a themed shuttle with view screens and some motion for people who can’t do the whole experience (similar to the shuttle/first ride vehicle on Rise of Resistance).

I wish they would make some ‘non-ride’ options for these rides that are just too intense for some people. Like maybe a themed shuttle with view screens and some motion for people who can’t do the whole experience (similar to the shuttle/first ride vehicle on Rise of Resistance).
I really like this idea. My husband and I weren't as impressed with Rise as it seems a lot of people are but I came away thinking it was so cool the shuttle they had and the immersiveness of the CMs and the stuff that happened before you even got on the actual ride vehicle was actually probably neater to us than the ride lol but I know that may be an unpopular opinion

I really like this idea. My husband and I weren't as impressed with Rise as it seems a lot of people are but I came away thinking it was so cool the shuttle they had and the immersiveness of the CMs and the stuff that happened before you even got on the actual ride vehicle was actually probably neater to us than the ride lol but I know that may be an unpopular opinion
I agree.
There are the ‘thrill ride lovers’ and those who either don’t love thrill rides or can’t do them. It seems (at least to me) that most new attractions are being skewed more towards the thrills and less have an option for ‘less thrills’.
Some of the ‘more thrilling rides’ like Rise of Resistance are more inclusive than others.

My family went on Rise of the Resistance for the first time on the trip we just got back from. My youngest DD is disabled, can’t walk or stand, so she either needs to stay in her wheelchair or if a transfer is required, we need to lift her into the ride vehicle.
I was the guinea pig and went on R of R first. The tram part was no issue - it‘s not much different than riding the Orlando airport (but very much better themed - LOL). I could see that would be no issue for her.
The other vehicle requires a transfer, but it has a Transfer Access Vehicle where the front door opens wider, allowing us to transfer her on easily with her wheelchair parked right next to it. Even though the ride has a lot of motion, the restraint was good and I knew she could do it.

On the other hand, Smuggler’s Run would be easy to transfer to and the motion would be OK for her, but the ride seat has no side support, so she would not be able to sit without tipping over sideways from the motion. Adding one seat that was a little more supportive would make it accessible to more people.

I agree.
There are the ‘thrill ride lovers’ and those who either don’t love thrill rides or can’t do them. It seems (at least to me) that most new attractions are being skewed more towards the thrills and less have an option for ‘less thrills’.
Some of the ‘more thrilling rides’ like Rise of Resistance are more inclusive than others.

My family went on Rise of the Resistance for the first time on the trip we just got back from. My youngest DD is disabled, can’t walk or stand, so she either needs to stay in her wheelchair or if a transfer is required, we need to lift her into the ride vehicle.
I was the guinea pig and went on R of R first. The tram part was no issue - it‘s not much different than riding the Orlando airport (but very much better themed - LOL). I could see that would be no issue for her.
The other vehicle requires a transfer, but it has a Transfer Access Vehicle where the front door opens wider, allowing us to transfer her on easily with her wheelchair parked right next to it. Even though the ride has a lot of motion, the restraint was good and I knew she could do it.

On the other hand, Smuggler’s Run would be easy to transfer to and the motion would be OK for her, but the ride seat has no side support, so she would not be able to sit without tipping over sideways from the motion. Adding one seat that was a little more supportive would make it accessible to more people.
I am really glad they had that option for your daughter on Rise and I agree about Smuggler's Run especially because it's not out of theming to have a seat in a spaceship with some sort of sturdy arm rest or side portion to it and you do get buckled in.

Thanks for starting this thread! I can't ride SM anymore, EE was one and done, and the one time I rode FOP in 2018, I had to shut my eyes multiple times due to feeling like I was going to throw up. This one makes me nervous!

ETA: Has anyone tried to wear Sea bands while riding? If so - did those help?

Sea bands work well for me. I still don’t the really bad rides, but they allow me to do FoP and others that would be impossible for me without the bands. You have to make sure they’re snug and the pressure point is in the right spot on your wrist. On harder rides I sometimes press my wrists against the arm bars to increase the pressure a bit.
Also, the firm plastic ones you can find on Amazon work better than the stretchy ones because they stay snug.

Edit/Disclaimer: I haven’t actually tried GotG yet 😁

I agree.

Have you sent Disney an email with this suggestion? Maybe they just didn’t think of that.

We did eat lunch after (glad I had not eaten lunch before)
Yikes! Good to know it’s a bit more aggressive than I’ve been reading on the blogs. always good to be prepared.

still,will try to grab in July The 4th is our first day there. Not holding my breath. maybe the evening extended hours will work last ditch that day

Yikes! Good to know it’s a bit more aggressive than I’ve been reading on the blogs. always good to be prepared.

still,will try to grab in July The 4th is our first day there. Not holding my breath. maybe the evening extended hours will work last ditch that day
A lot of the bloggers I’ve read are really Roller coaster lovers and rode it multiple times in a row - I think BigFatPanda rode it 19 times during the Media Preview.
It‘s a very intense attraction, but if the individual elements in it aren’t things that cause a problem for the rider, they would report it’s a smooth roller coaster

I was sick and felt really awful for a while, but at least I did do it once.
Won‘t do it again.

Wow, I'm glad I read these reports.
I did HP's Forbidden Journey Once and got sick on it, with dizziness and nausea. I was worried the whole time about my granddaughter who made the height cut, just barely, after being measured 3 times! Also my SIL gets nauseated easily, so I tried to watch them too. It was one and done for me. I love Gringotts, though.
MS Orange side really made me nauseated and dizzy. I had to sit down for a while after it, and was light headed for a couple of hours. They didn't have the green side at that time.
I'm glad to learn how others have done on GOTG, and I guess it's not going to be for me, sadly. I was looking forward to it because I love the movies.

I just felt dizzy when I got off, but I did take meclizine the night before as many others have suggested to avoid the drowsiness.
We saw two people throwing up when we got off the ride though, and one lady barely made it up the stairs before she collapsed on the bench.
For point of comparison - Forbidden Journey was awful for me, can't do Mission Space, no teacups or swirling saucers. FoP and Remy are fine for me, as well as other coasters Everest, RNR, SM. Slinky gets me a little at the end with the bumps, and ToT sadly makes me feel super queasy too. Star Tours is just barely bearable one ride only.
Glad I rode it once - the preshow was my favorite part, I really loved the reverse launch too. Not sure yet if I will do it again!
I wonder if Disney will consider modifying the ride at all given how many people are having issues (not sure if this is even possible). I think I would have been fine if the car didn't rotate, but I get that is a main feature of this ride.

I didn't actually vomit, but I was sick. Nauseated for at least four hours. The only ride I have had a problem with before was Mission Space Orange.

as i suspected - a no go for me....oh well....

can i go through the preshows with the rest of the group and then bail out before getting on the ride?

can i go through the preshows with the rest of the group and then bail out before getting on the ride?
Many people seem to ride without a problem. Maybe you should try it? I was absolutely shocked that not only did I get sick, but that it lasted for a long time.
Edited to add that I don't generally have a problem with motion sickness, and ride everything at WDW except Mission Space Orange. That one made me sick as well.

I rode it and felt a bit queasy about 2/3 of the way through the ride. The problem didn't last long and I really enjoyed the attraction. I'll def try again with some bonine on board, if I still have a problem I may have to avoid GOTG in the future.

I typically don't have motion sickness issues, but that's party because I know which rides I can handle and which ones are off-limits.

Yes, every Disney ride has an exit near the loading dock for non-riders. Just tell the CM at boarding that you're not riding, and they'll direct you.

ETA - if your group is using an ILL$ or Genie+LL for the ride, you’ll need one too in order to enter the line.

Last edited:
Yes, every Disney ride has an exit near the loading dock for non-riders. Just tell the CM at boarding that you're not riding, and they'll direct you.

ETA - if your group is using an ILL$ or Genie+LL for the ride, you’ll need one too in order to enter the line.

we're not planning on buying any ILLs. We're a group of 9, so it's way too costly.

Many people seem to ride without a problem. Maybe you should try it? I was absolutely shocked that not only did I get sick, but that it lasted for a long time.
Edited to add that I don't generally have a problem with motion sickness, and ride everything at WDW except Mission Space Orange. That one made me sick as well.

no, it's not worth it.
i tried expedition everest once and was out of commission for hours.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter