"Gone With the Wind" should go the way of the Confederate Flag

luvgoing2disney

DIS Veteran
I don't know if any of you have seen this column in the New York Post, http://nypost.com/2015/06/24/gone-with-the-wind-should-go-the-way-of-the-confederate-flag/, but due to the racial overtones in GWTW and the tragic shooting in Charleston, the writer is suggesting that the movie be banned into museums and/or oblivion.

I readily admit that I am a GWTW fan, and I am NOT trying to start anything political, but I think that sometimes we have to step back, take a deep breath, and not jump too soon. If we start this, than almost every movie in the 20's-40's which featured a black performer would have to be banned as well. So many of the characters they played were much more prejudicial with more embarrasing dialect than the ones in GWTW. And then there are the Charlie Chan movies!

The shootings in Charleston, indeed the countless number of killings and discrimination before are a dark stain on the history of our country. But if we start banning movies and burning books, we start down a very slippery slope.

I don't know if any of you have seen this column in the New York Post, http://nypost.com/2015/06/24/gone-with-the-wind-should-go-the-way-of-the-confederate-flag/, but due to the racial overtones in GWTW and the tragic shooting in Charleston, the writer is suggesting that the movie be banned into museums and/or oblivion.

I readily admit that I am a GWTW fan, and I am NOT trying to start anything political, but I think that sometimes we have to step back, take a deep breath, and not jump too soon. If we start this, than almost every movie in the 20's-40's which featured a black performer would have to be banned as well. So many of the characters they played were much more prejudicial with more embarrasing dialect than the ones in GWTW. And then there are the Charlie Chan movies!

The shootings in Charleston, indeed the countless number of killings and discrimination before are a dark stain on the history of our country. But if we start banning movies and burning books, we start down a very slippery slope.

On the church massacre thread a few people have already stated that they want this movie gone. I am a big GWTW fan and I agree with you. Personally I love this story for many reasons and not one is being a racist.

Not a fan of the movie, because Scarlett makes me cringe.

With that said, it would be a slippery slope. If that happens, would certain
founding fathers statues, etc be next
who participated in slavery? It just wouldn't be affecting the South, Northern states also dabbled.

I find it amusing that people want to tie in what that whackjob did to a flag and a movie. He is a sociopath racist. The movie was an era piece, are we to pretend slavery didnt happen? Would 12 years a slave be next?

The flag, like the swastika were made into bad symbols.Just like certain words have been twisted to mean negative things

I love GWTW. Not because I think its historical fact, I know its not, but it wasn't supposed to be. Its romantic fiction, not historical text book.

And once again, we are finding something to get rid of instead of finding an actual solution to the problem. Its a "feel good" move that will do absolutely nothing.

hereyago, we are already starting down that slippery slope.

I have kept quiet about all this, but I must agree that now we are going too far. GWTW is a MASTERPEICE of film making and worthy of the veneration it gets. Where does it say that a movie can't have things in it that make one uncomfortable? This mentality of "we must never offend anybody" is so over the top. Sometimes being offended makes you THINK, and thinking is never bad. GWTW is an artistic work of the highest merit, regardless of certain portrayals in the story. What's next? Tom Sawyer (I know it's been tried!)?

Now, the article does not call for an outright ban, which would be VERY disturbing. I get businesses doing what is best for their business, and if that means not carrying certain items, then that is their decision. That is not a ban nor is is censorship, it's just letting the market decide. If they didn't think they would make more money than they will lose, then they'd be singing a different tune.

ETA: GWTW is not really even my kind of movie, but I recognize the artistry and merit in it and feel that seeing it is still a worthwhile endeavor.

Then we might as well keep going and ban Uncle Toms Cabin, Tom Sawyer, HuckleBerry Finn , To Kill A Mocking Bird, Remember The Titans, Radio...to name a few books and movies along this line of thinking. This is sarcasm on my part as I personally love and promote all these books and movies( among others) as part of our history. I love GWTW for a lot of reasons and watch it every chance I get. I dont see the racist part but history snd great actors.This trend our Country is getting into is not good and Banning these things because someone is offended or it is deemed racist is wrong. There will always be something offensive to someone...pur country has worse things to worry about.

I personally hate the film, but that's ridiculous.

Boys N The Hood doesn't exactly portray minorities in the best light. Guess that's next......

No more General Lee from the Dukes of Hazzard. The "cleansing" continues. Are book burnings next? Where will this end?

what has happened to freedom of speech/expression etc...?

if we ban the confederate flag and GWTW whats next?
then we'd have to ban the book and any merchandise (my mom has a great number of GWTW items as its her all time favorite movie)
we will start becoming like china and north korea.

a confederate flag nor a 1939 movie made that guy kill those people.

California should just close down, because they had the most Jim Crow laws, their big issues were more of Native.American, Mexicans, and Asians.

I personally hate the film, but that's ridiculous.

Boys N The Hood doesn't exactly portray minorities in the best light. Guess that's next......

I was going to say if thats the concern, there's hundreds of MODERN films they would need to scrap too.

This is so stupid. Sweeping history under the rug doesn't change it, just takes away a teachable moment from future generations.

There is a difference between taking the flag off of state capitol property or changing a state's official flag so as not to include it and the government banning a movie. And one does not lead to the other.

hereyago, we are already starting down that slippery slope.

True, I live. in Va and people want the Confederate license plate gone.Oops, had to edit, our Governor has ordered that the plate be discontinued and drivers with the Sons of the Confederacy plate have 120 days to order something( probably have to pay for)'and remove their old plates. Yes,Virginia, we have censorship.
Wonder what they will do with flags and stickers on cars.

Here is something, if it offends you, look the freak away. If I see a license plate that offends or there is this guy with.offensive license plate frame saying his car is too low for fat (insert word for gardening tool), I look away.

I scared my dgd will be born into mamby pamby, everyone is PC and sensitive land.

Last edited:
So will we start banning all books and films that display the Nazi flag?? I read many Holocaust books for the knowledge. Not that Gone With the Wind has lots of historical knowledge but taking it away or banning it is nonsense. Just my opinion, tho.

It's ridiculous to ban GWTW into oblivion. There's no logical comparison of the racial problems depicted in the movie, versus today's flying of the Confederate Battle Flag on some State Capitol properties. A movie is a story, a fantasy. There was no real Tara or Twelve Oaks or Rhett and Scarlett. I watch plenty of old movies on TCM and many make me cringe. Not just for racial disparities, but also for the lower status of all women, the shameful depiction of Chinese, and the strict divide between the monied class and the mistreated working class who are just scraping by, and whose needs go unheard by those who could make a difference. But movies serve a purpose -- they are a snapshot into earlier times. And most of the old movies make me say, "Thank God it's so much better today." (I didn't say it's Perfect today.)

We the People settled the Civil War a long time ago, and came to an agreement that, going forward, we were one nation indivisible. The 2015 Confederate Battle Flag flying on State Capitol properties implies that we are not really one nation. It's time to put that old flag and that old story into museums and history books.

Oy vey,

1) I wouldn't use the NY Post as some type of authority on what is a serious threat. lol, I remember once when I was in HS they had a story questioning whether aliens lived among us.
2) this is not really new, folks have been saying for years it should go and yet it remains.
3) confederate flag and GWTW are two totally different things.

lastly, the movie business is just that a business. They do what's best for the bottom line. If I can get a copy of birth of a nation, I wouldn't lose much sleep about this.

non issue. Don't worry folks TNT will have it on tv as usual.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter