"Go Find a Table and I'll wait in line"

Do you sit at Quick Service Tables without having your food?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is this another instance of Disney not stepping up and providing proper customer service because their customers aren't expecting enough from them?

The last time we went to WDW mobile ordering didn't exist. My kids are indecisive so I didn't want them in line with me when I went up to the order counter. I knew having them there would just slow the whole ordering process down by quite a bit. A lot of quick-service restaurants have limited waiting space that isn't by the pickup counter. Where would you like parents like me to park our kids where they won't inconvenience other guests?

I took my kids by myself several times over the years starting with when they were 2 and 3 years old. We obviously ate while there and they were too young to go to the table by themselves. I kept one on each side of me, directly next to me. I taught them from very young that they must always hold on to my shirt if they are not in the stroller. I had no problems getting our food and keeping my kids from "slowing" me down. I ordered the food that I wanted them to eat so I took the burden off of them. Toddlers don't really make wise choices anyway. I don't think we every inconvenienced anyone by this since they were not running around or getting in anyone's way. I don't see why you would think that just because they are children that they automatically will inconvenience anyone. Children can behave if that is what they are taught. I don't like it when parents excuse bad behavior because of lack of discipline.

Last edited:
It is never an issue for the diners who do it. It is absolutely an issue for the diners who cant, or choose not to, do it. Not being visually aware of a situation doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

One PM and 7 PM are still peak dining times - remember, not every visitor is from the Eastern time zone.
Not sure what your post is about.. Not being visually aware?....Just put a member of the family at a table...or everyone but the food orderer and order. Then take food to saved table. We put the kids at a table for 4. Then the wife and i order. We know what they want..they are our kids..thats easy. And, if the kids too young..then one parent order..the other stays with kids. This is like how 95% of families do it. No fuss at all.
I mean its kinda silly...NOT to have a member of the family hold a table..kinda common sense.

I took my kids by myself several times over the years starting with when they were 2 and 3 years old. We obviously ate while there and they were too young to go to the table by themselves. I kept one on each side of me, directly next to me. I taught them from very young that they must always hold on to my shirt if they are not in the stroller. I had no problems getting our food and keeping my kids from "slowing" me down. I ordered the food that I wanted them to eat so I took the burden off of them. Toddlers don't really make wise choices anyway. I don't think we every inconvenienced anyone by this since they were not running around or getting in anyone's way. I don't see why you would think that just because they are children that they automatically will inconvenience anyone. Children can behave if that is what they are taught. I don't like it when parents excuse bad behavior because of lack of discipline.

Thanks for implying that my kids are badly behaved due to lack of discipline on my part. There are things I could share about my kids that might make you spare an ounce of understanding and kindness but I don’t want you to think you are justified in judging other families who don’t have the challenges we have.

Not sure what your post is about.. Not being visually aware?....Just put a member of the family at a table...or everyone but the food orderer and order. Then take food to saved table. We put the kids at a table for 4. Then the wife and i order. We know what they want..they are our kids..thats easy. And, if the kids too young..then one parent order..the other stays with kids. This is like how 95% of families do it. No fuss at all.
I mean its kinda silly...NOT to have a member of the family hold a table..kinda common sense.

Yup, that’s my feeling as well. And if there isn’t an empty table when we get there, then we go elsewhere. Simple.

As far as I know, nobody in this thread is a Disney food blogger and none of us are in the parks virtually every day.

You are saying that solo/small parties should visit all the time like the food bloggers do, and you are this implying that we need to follow a different procedure than parties capable of holding tables. Instead of everybody simply being considerate of everybody else.

Ummm, no. I’m saying that if plenty of single diners go to Disney all the time and don’t have trouble finding tables when they do, then neither should you, if you’re choosing your spots and times properly. It’s not rocket science, and every single QS is not jam packed every hour of the day.

Saving tables while others order food speed up the process and creates less congestion.

It really doesn’t speed up any process, and a few moments of thinking about it would show that to you.

It makes your party feel better. So it feels right to you.

But it splits your party up, so now your party is helping make two areas more congested.

who wants to stay behind a stroller and a large family in line.

I doubt if there’s anything wrong enough with your large family that I wouldn’t want to be behind you. Why wouldn’t I want to be behind you? I’m sure I could make goofy faces at your younger kids and wave at them and my teen son would interact with them and we’d have a grand time.

But really truly, your party doesn't need to wait at a table without food. Nobody's does.

Exactly.

I can almost guarantee one tray would go flying and at the costs of this trip I simply can’t afford that to happen .

If a tray is tipped over, a CM would replace that food. You never ever have to worry about that at Disney or universal.

That is not a valid reason to split up the party.

And if you’re sending kids off who might tip a tray in the line, to other parts of the restaurant, they still might tip a tray, but you might never know if it.

110% correct

Both Three Broomsticks and Leaky Cauldron are perpetually packed, but I've never had to stand around with a tray full of food due to no available seating. And it's because they don't allow folks to occupy tables while not eating.

That has been my experience as well. I’ll take a moment waiting with the TM over wandering.

Three Broomsticks also depends on how busy it is inside in regards to having a TM be stationed there regarding tables.

I’ve seen people *think* there’s no TM and walk past me to go sit down. I’ve generally then seen the TM come back, from having found a spot for me or whoever is in front of me in line, and tell the wandering family that they need to wait in the line. And then the first in line has been shown to the spot.

In other words, I’ve never seen it be free seating (apart from in the early morning when you’ve told them you want to sit outside on the deck), but I’ve seen people *think* it’s free seating and those of us in line are apparently invisible to them.

neither of those restaurants allow you into the seating area without having ordered first.

Yep. They don’t let you in the back way.

If someone goes in and doesn’t encounter a TM that means no one told them they were doing it wrong. Doesn’t mean they weren’t doing it wrong.

Thanks for implying that my kids are badly behaved due to lack of discipline on my part. There are things I could share about my kids that might make you spare an ounce of understanding and kindness but I don’t want you to think you are justified in judging other families who don’t have the challenges we have.

I didn't imply anything. You were the one who said that if your kids where with you then they would inconvenience others. As if just because they were kids that they will automatically misbehave. If your kids have special issues, you did not say. And plenty of people let their typical kids run around without disciplining them. The way you posted your statement made it seem like it was impossible for any kid to not be a bother to others. Again, no mention on your part about your kids having special needs.

People who occupy tables in advance to ordering when it is busy are part of the problem

IMO they aren’t just part. They ARE the problem.

I always feel pretty foolish when we fail to scout for a table first. If I am left standing with a tray of food and no place to sit when I have others who could have scouted, that's on me.

It isn’t. It’s on the people doing what you’ve decided is the answer. So then my inability to find a table if you’ve taken a table without food is on you.

Because ordering takes a heck of a lot less time than ordering in most cases.

Wait what?

If you are a single traveler or unable to split up for some other reason, then why would you even attempt eating at a place that looks packed?

Um, because we’re hungry? Because we want that food? Because we enjoy the ambiance and they have food that works?

Only large groups who can split up are allowed to eat at busy restaurants? That makes no sense.

if a single diner is taking up a space meant for 2 - or more likely, more - isn’t that even more rude if the place is crowded?

No.

And many times a smaller group will invite another smaller group to dine with them.

Ummm, no. I’m saying that if plenty of single diners go to Disney all the time and don’t have trouble finding tables when they do, then neither should you, if you’re choosing your spots and times properly. It’s not rocket science, and every single QS is not jam packed every hour of the day.
First, please be more specific on the quantity "plenty". How many food bloggers exist? How many visit Disney each day? in comparison, how many total guests are in the parks each of those days? Do those food bloggers specify each time they couldn't find a table? To they report that they didn't eat somewhere when they wanted to because all the tables were taken? Can you please provide some links?

Second - why should solo/small party diners have to choose our spots and times "properly?" What is " proper?" When it doesn't inconvenience table hoarders in any way? WHY?????

No, table hoarders should time their meals properly: don't enter it there aren't sufficient empty tables.

There is an assumption that people take more time at tables if they hold them before they get their food. This is a reasonable assumption, but some people eat quickly. A family may hold a table, get their food, and be out in the same amount of time as another family that got their food first but then lingers because someone wants to hit refresh, read over a map, or post selfies on Facebook.

You’re mixing two different issues. Anyone might take awhile to eat and be fully done with their meals. But we’re takjing about the part in front of that.

If you come in and take a table before ordering, you are taking up the time for ordering, waiting, and eating, at that table.

If you come in and order, wait, get food, then take a table, you are taking up the time to eat at that table

That is less time at the table than the first.

We sent 2 adults with the 2 kids to find a table while we picked up the food. It might have looked like we were holding a table but we were merely waiting to get our food.

As is everyone else. Everyone is waiting to get their food.

My kids are indecisive so I didn't want them in line with me when I went up to the order counter. I knew having them there would just slow the whole ordering process down by quite a bit.

Why is everyone so obsessed with the ordering line being clutter-free?

Where would you like parents like me to park our kids where they won't inconvenience other guests?

In line with you. Like my little family is in line with me. Our kids can chat for a few minutes. It’ll be fun.

General question:
If you were at a relatively crowded McDonalds, Wendy's or the food court at the mall near home would saving a table still be a problem?

Why wouldn’t I want to be behind you? I’m sure I could make goofy faces at your younger kids and wave at them
::yes:: Probably even without having to bend too much ;)
If you come in and take a table before ordering, you are taking up the time for ordering, waiting, and eating, at that table.

If you come in and order, wait, get food, then take a table, you are taking up the time to eat at that table

That is less time at the table than the first.
Substantially less time. for ease of calculation, let's say it takes the typical party 15 minutes to eat/clean/leave.
When the line is 15 minutes, a grab-a-table party ties up that table for 30 minutes.
If the order line is 30 minutes, that table is now tied up for 45 minutes.
If, as one experience in this thread indicates, the line is 45 minutes, now that table is tied up for an hour.
none of this is reasonable or sensible when there are ready-to-eat parties circling the area, furiously looking for somewhere to sit and eat.

when we order at a counter serve..Restaurant. YES, i sit the kids and the wife and i order. My son 13 and daughter 11..hold a table for 4. nothing at all wrong with that.

Never been an issue...as just about everyone does it. We choose to eat at 1 pm and about 7. Never any fuss or anything.

It’s not an issue for you because you’re doing what you’re doing. It’s an issue *for others*.

And correct; few people are going to make a big deal so you’ll notice. But nevertheless, you’ve possibly helped make the day harder for others.

So people may get upset because my kids are with me and we are taking too long to order

If you’re focused on ordering and your kids, how would you even notice someone’s reaction should behind you?

And with split attention, if you did notice a reaction, why presume that it’s about you? Maybe their underwear are bunching and the expression on their face is about that?

Maybe they have RBF and are thinking of lovely happy rainbows and unicorns, and you just don’t know that?

In all likelihood, no one is upset with you because if perceived time to order. People DO get upset when they want to eat and can’t find a table.

We have 7 kids....so yeah, we have them sit at a table while my husband and I or my husband and one or 2 of our olders order and carry the food back.

What about having a big family makes it so obvious that you would split up like that? It seems obvious to you from the “So yeah” phrasing. It isn’t obvious to me. If we’d had the three we wanted it would have been so fun. Unless they were demon-children. But I’d be unlikely to take demon-children to Disney.

So what’s the issue with having the 9 of you in line?

The best thing to do is just grab yourself a banana or a muffin for breakfast. Then you'll be hungry by about 11 for lunch. Viola. You beat the rush. Then you don't have to put up with the nonsense.

11am is 8am my time for almost a week of vacation. No matter what I do, I have a dreadful time changing time zones.

My 9am, which is often when I’m having breakfast at home, is, sigh, noon.

Time zone changes are no joke!

I can't imagine ordering at McDonald's and standing around until the food is ready to find a table.

And I can’t imagine splitting up my party at mcds. Even as a teen at fast food places when I ate at McD we didn’t split up. At Taco Bell nowadays (the only fast food we eat) the very infrequent times we dine there, we get in line together, order, get our food, and go sit.

But I’ve also noticed that people tend to feel like it’s taking too long when they are ready but the food isn’t. So I’m my experience, the time for food to be ready feels longer to those sitting.

It’s like early boarding on airplanes. For the brief time we were flying when my son was eligible, once he was on the plane he was ready to go. Waiting another half hour for full boarding, safety, taxiing, waiting in line to take off...ugh. If you notice other littles on airplanes you might notice the same thing.

We ended up not doing early boarding when we noticed. Made it easier on us.

Just because you aren’t aware of a problem, because you aren’t *seeing* a problem, doesn’t mean there isn’t a problem.
We are talking about holding a table while folks order.....thats not a problem...not even a first world problem. Its just a common sense thing to do. 99 out of 100 folks do it..the other 1 just doesn't know better..

Because when everyone and their grandma is standing around, people can’t manoeuvre there way out with trays when it’s your turn to pick up your order.

Sure you can. If people are not lined up in the exit line. And you are also missing that you would have to be dogging people with trays full of food it the tables are all occupied prior to people getting their food. In essence trading empty handed people ordering food congestion for people with trays of food congestion. Not a good swap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter