"Go Find a Table and I'll wait in line"

Do you sit at Quick Service Tables without having your food?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
There is an assumption that people take more time at tables if they hold them before they get their food. This is a reasonable assumption, but some people eat quickly. A family may hold a table, get their food, and be out in the same amount of time as another family that got their food first but then lingers because someone wants to hit refresh, read over a map, or post selfies on Facebook.
\
Agreed. I think it speeds up food time when family members save a table while others order. We always do it and will continue to. works just fine.

Is this another instance of Disney not stepping up and providing proper customer service because their customers aren't expecting enough from them?

The last time we went to WDW mobile ordering didn't exist. My kids are indecisive so I didn't want them in line with me when I went up to the order counter. I knew having them there would just slow the whole ordering process down by quite a bit. A lot of quick-service restaurants have limited waiting space that isn't by the pickup counter. Where would you like parents like me to park our kids where they won't inconvenience other guests?
Excellent point about trying to order with indecisive kids in tow. So people may get upset because my kids are with me and we are taking too long to order or they are upset that they are waiting at a table without food. Talk about a no-win situation! . I will continue to have the rest of my family find a table but if we see people waiting I light a fire under everyone to hurry up so we can make room for others. Best I can do.

We have 7 kids....so yeah, we have them sit at a table while my husband and I or my husband and one or 2 of our olders order and carry the food back.

Last edited:
For me, it depends, if at somewhere like Woodys lunchbox, you almost have to do this because there is so little seating (I have no idea who thought it was a good idea to be seating for about 100 people max into a popular new area).

Also, if it isn't too busy we will do so and if it is busy, it is going to depend on if I can find a seat while waiting if my knees are hurting or vice versa for the wife. Sorry, but they keep removing more and more benches, making it hard not to take a table while waiting.

Yep! I just did it at Woodys last week. I’m not circling around with a tray full of food and drinks in that area. I waited patiently (in the heat) for about 10-15 minutes to get a table. When one was available, I snagged it, did my mobile order and then picked it up while my 2 kids were still at the table. We ate and left. No lingering because I know the struggle.

What I really think would be interesting is if those in the "take a table without food" side get annoyed when they have their trays and can't find a table because other people are sitting and saving tables?

I have been there and that is why my DGD heads out after we order to find a table. My family is not rude and we do not sit and dawdle after we finish eating, butwe also got sick of eating cold food. It's not a problem at every CS restaurant and we generally avoid the pitfalls, but I can see when we enter if there is going to be the issue of no seating for the family.

Pecos Bill is notorious for getting super busy, super quickly. That was the place on two occasions over Christmas and New Years that was telling people who had mobile ordered and were standing around, to go and find a seat while they waited for their order.

WE don't go there anymore after multiple time wandering around like lost souls. I have no idea why DIsney thought it woudl be a great idea to allocate so little dining space for their patrons.

Years ago at Hollywood S with my husband we went to that QS outdoor area. I sat at a table while he ordered our food. I was kind of shocked when a family of 4 just sat down with me and commandeered the table! No asking, just sitting and eating. My husband was like 'huh??" when he came back with the tray but we all just sat and ate in silence together. Those tables aren't all that big so it was kind of awkward!

My apologies, but I do this. My husband and small kids find a table while I get food. I’d rather not risk having my kids in the teeny tiny pick up areas where they might knock over someone’s tray. Heck I’ve almost spilled trays in those ridiculously small areas! To be fair, we go off season but I could see your point of being annoyed during very busy times. That would be frustrating. I would never do this if my kids weren’t with us regardless of time of year.

When is this alleged "off season"? LOL.

This is an interesting discussion. We always have one adult wait in line to order and the other adult and kids go off to get a table. While waiting for the food we gather condiments, napkins etc. It never even crossed my mind that this would be considered rude or inconsiderate. We are paying customers, why shouldn't we have a table? We do this at every fast food restaurant not just WDW, as I think most people do honestly. I can't imagine ordering at McDonald's and standing around until the food is ready to find a table. :confused3

I answered the poll "no;" however, I think it totally depends on how busy a place is. If it is jam-packed, then no, as it seems Disney doesn't like that (as evidenced by CM's directing people not too in some restaurants on some occasions), but if there are tons of places to sit, then we do tend to just go sit down. It's the same for taking a break; if I'm in Sunshine Seasons and there are billions (hyperbole warning) of tables open, and I need to take a rest, then I rest with no qualms even without food from Sunshine Seasons directly (example; I've sat and people watched while munching my popcorn from the stand outside).

I do not hold this against people but between the lack of lids and trying to find a seat while holding food we have almost completely quit using CS. There are of course a couple of exceptions Santuli is one where we have never failed to get a table. But CS is helping me by continuing to lower the quality of their offerings. And thanks to the Marines having to replace my knees I do need lids.

This past NOV, my sister and I purposely looked for someone with a food tray to take our table when we were ready to get up and leave!

I'll add this: Mobile app ordering is fantastic!!

I will also do this - however, I am much more likely to get the attention of someone looking around and give the table to them than to give it to the first vulture that sees me maybe 2/3 finished and begins hovering. Hovering is rude as well.

This is simply not true. If a place is that busy that people are searching for tables, they will be searching regardless of whether or not some are being held for a few minutes by people without food. Why? Because ordering takes a heck of a lot less time than ordering in most cases. Now if it looks like the line is 45min, you may have a point (and I’d never, ever eat at such a place because I value my sanity), but not if the wait is ~15 or less.
No, you're the one that is mistaken. I have been in Cosmic Rays when it was busy and they allowed "table savers" and it was nearly impossible to find a place to sit and eat when you have your food. I've seen people squatting outside the restaurant on the curb to eat. I have also been to Cosmic Rays when Disney only allowed people to sit WITH FOOD. Each time we were seated immediately. There were empty tables available because the savers were not allowed to grab them.

I will absolutely split up and have someone hold a table with the kids. If you are a single traveler or unable to split up for some other reason, then why would you even attempt eating at a place that looks packed? Seems like a mistake in my opinion, and in fact if a single diner is taking up a space meant for 2 - or more likely, more - isn’t that even more rude if the place is crowded?
Exactly what so you expect people to do? Not eat because the restaurant is packed? I've read that some people will eat at off times but I assure you that there are no "off times" between Christmas and New Years.

I've read that some people will eat at off times but I assure you that there are no "off times" between Christmas and New Years.
We spend Christmas and New Years at Disney almost every year and we rely mostly on counter service each day. There are still plenty of off times. The number one off time is as soon as a location opens for lunch. The second best time is mid afternoon/early dinner. Many people opt for table service over dinner and counter service locations are less crowded then lunchtime hours.

We spend Christmas and New Years at Disney almost every year and we rely mostly on counter service each day. There are still plenty of off times. The number one off time is as soon as a location opens for lunch. The second best time is mid afternoon/early dinner. Many people opt for table service over dinner and counter service locations are less crowded then lunchtime hours.
We have been doing WDW for the weeks around Christmas and New Years since 1999. I agree that there are off times, but only compared to the utter madness that is a CS restaurant between 11:30-1:30. Disney tried to get people to eat before noon and after 2:00 a few years ago by including a 20% off coupon when you bought something for CS restaurants before noon and after 2:00 (I think). We loved those coupons because we usually ate during those times anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter