Getting stuck on the skyliner

I agree, you don't feel the heat in there at all. We have primarily traveled in June or September since the Skyliner opened, so pretty warm weather. The longest we've been stuck is roughly 10 minutes and we weren't hot at all. The dozens of rides we've taken were smooth sailing and it's a pretty fun way to get around.

Just for the record, I cannot and don't ride any skyliner-type rides at other places where my feet are "dangling". I need a floor, lol. Getting stuck for that 10 minutes was not a problem at all.

To be honest, if there is any rain on my weather app's radar (I always check before getting on now) I won't ride it though. Not for fear of getting stuck in the air, but stuck at Caribbean Beach. There is where we were once stuck for over an hour, only to have to run through torrential rain to get to the bus WDW finally called for everyone trapped at CB to get us to Epcot.

(At Epcot that was another nightmare in itself due to something security did, but that doesn't relate to the Skyliner :) )
Same I won’t do anything open. Waaaayyyyy back in the day, DH took the kids onthe sky ride in MK, I walked over to meet them.

But we do use the skyliner.

Last edited:
Super rare to be stuck more than 15 mins. If you legit think you will have a panic attack if stuck- and there is an infinitesimal chance you could be stuck up there for up to 3-4 hours (as that’s the worse we’ve seen & it was only once I think)- DO NOT RIDE.

They can’t send you a personal evac fire truck just because you have a panic attack, half the line will be claiming one emergency or another. You will be in a cab with other people. You screaming and/or rocking the cab because of something uncontrollable like a panic attack is not ok as you would subject others to dealing with that in an enclosed space in the sky.

If this is just something you are scared of I would do it. But, if you have a history of panic attacks, I would not do it.

Super rare to be stuck more than 15 mins. If you legit think you will have a panic attack if stuck- and there is an infinitesimal chance you could be stuck up there for up to 3-4 hours (as that’s the worse we’ve seen & it was only once I think)- DO NOT RIDE.

They can’t send you a personal evac fire truck just because you have a panic attack, half the line will be claiming one emergency or another. You will be in a cab with other people. You screaming and/or rocking the cab because of something uncontrollable like a panic attack is not ok as you would subject others to dealing with that in an enclosed space in the sky.

If this is just something you are scared of I would do it. But, if you have a history of panic attacks, I would not do it.
I was speaking in hyperbole. Shouldn’t have said panic attack. Wrong choice of words. My bad.

I was speaking in hyperbole. Shouldn’t have said panic attack. Wrong choice of words. My bad.
Then I would ride it!

(I kinda wondered as many of us use it as hyperbole, which I did too until I met a dear friend who has actual panic attacks, so I wanted to make sure that wasn’t the case as one in a Skyliner bucket would be a complete nightmare.)

Because married people send each other videos of stuff we think the other would find interesting? 🤷‍♀️
Well sure. A video of people getting stuck might be interesting if you’re contemplating a ride.

But if he keeps sending these videos to you, I think maybe he doesn’t want to ride, but doesn’t want to tell you, and he’s hoping you’ll make the decision.

Just something to consider.

Last October we stopped for 20 minutes. It was windy and the car swayed. I got a little motion sick and avoided it the rest of the trip.
This is a good point for motion sickness prone folks! I almost got motion sick my first ride from the slightest swaying. From then on when I’m taking the Skyliner I make sure to take my meds and haven’t had any issues.

When these were announced I wasn't excited for several reasons.

DS#1 always wants to ride but I never took him. Rode in Feb with friends and we did well.

DS#2 wanted to ride, so Friday we rode from Epcot to DHS and then back again later. Several times it slowed to a crawl and we were fine. Twice it STOPPED for around 5 minutes each, once was under the overhang at Rivera. In a few short minutes it started getting very warm to point I was uncomfortable. We said had it been much longer that car would have been quite hot. It was 95 degrees and mostly sunny.

DS#2 said the motion was more than he expected and had the beginnings of motion sickness. He rides everything at Disney but the Teacups & AstroOrbiter. It was not windy, just the normal sway forward and back and then all the bumps as I guess it crossed support beams.

I don't like heights and while I was fine overall riding, my brain kept checking what was below us and how difficult it would be to evacuate us from it, and then how long it would take etc.

At this point I think we will avoid it in the summer months on the chance it stops more than a couple minutes. It just warmed up way too fast.

The Skyliner frequently has short stops on the CBR to EPCOT line. The line has to slow down or stop at Riviera to allow easier boarding by guests in scooters and wheelchairs

My husband keeps sending me videos/articles about people getting stuck on the skyliner for lengthy periods of time. Is this a frequent thing? Have any of y’all been stuck and for how long? I think 10 minutes would be fine but the heat and being trapped that high up would cause a panic attack for me with anything longer than 10 minutes. Trying to decide if we want to ride the skyliner just for kicks on our arrival day.
Ok. If you are talking a panic attack in the clinical sense then you already know the answer.
If you just mean panic in lay terms, then go for it. It’s an adventure. I feel that way every time I ride Everest. 🤷🏻‍♂️😬😂

Twice it STOPPED for around 5 minutes each, once was under the overhang at Rivera. In a few short minutes it started getting very warm to point I was uncomfortable. We said had it been much longer that car would have been quite hot. It was 95 degrees and mostly sunny.

At this point I think we will avoid it in the summer months on the chance it stops more than a couple minutes. It just warmed up way too fast.
This is the part that is truly my cause for worry. I’m a 52 year old woman with hot flashes. I can’t get stuck in a hot box on the surface of the sun.

I've ridden it around 20 times and never stopped for more than a few seconds. And although I have a fear of heights, the Skyway doesn't bother me. Just once was I nervous-the weather was VERY windy, so the cars were swaying, and it was unseasonably cold, like in the 40s. Frankly, considering how windy it was, I'm surprised the skyway was running-but then has wind ever caused the skyway to shut down?

When these were announced I wasn't excited for several reasons.

DS#1 always wants to ride but I never took him. Rode in Feb with friends and we did well.

DS#2 wanted to ride, so Friday we rode from Epcot to DHS and then back again later. Several times it slowed to a crawl and we were fine. Twice it STOPPED for around 5 minutes each, once was under the overhang at Rivera. In a few short minutes it started getting very warm to point I was uncomfortable. We said had it been much longer that car would have been quite hot. It was 95 degrees and mostly sunny.

DS#2 said the motion was more than he expected and had the beginnings of motion sickness. He rides everything at Disney but the Teacups & AstroOrbiter. It was not windy, just the normal sway forward and back and then all the bumps as I guess it crossed support beams.

I don't like heights and while I was fine overall riding, my brain kept checking what was below us and how difficult it would be to evacuate us from it, and then how long it would take etc.

Thank you for being honest about how hot it started to get after just a few minutes. I just can't believe all the claims that it doesn't get hot when the air is still and muggy and it's in the 90s with high humidity. I start to sweat the moment I walk outside in conditions like that.

I've ridden it around 20 times and never stopped for more than a few seconds. And although I have a fear of heights, the Skyway doesn't bother me. Just once was I nervous-the weather was VERY windy, so the cars were swaying, and it was unseasonably cold, like in the 40s. Frankly, considering how windy it was, I'm surprised the skyway was running-but then has wind ever caused the skyway to shut down?
I sat on it for about five minutes one afternoon, 35 mph winds. I rode the thing for a living and I wasn’t a fan when it starts swaying, bouncing and bobbing around. Lol and I know how the thing works. Lol. Started looking down and playing on my phone.
I was fine but for some people, they get out of the cabin but their lunch and snack is laying on the floor. Lol
You could always tell when it was windy up there when the cabins come in.

Last edited:
Thank you for being honest about how hot it started to get after just a few minutes. I just can't believe all the claims that it doesn't get hot when the air is still and muggy and it's in the 90s with high humidity. I start to sweat the moment I walk outside in conditions like that.
You have to remember, hot means something different to everyone. I myself love summer in Florida. Our pool has to be 92 degrees or I’m not going in. Lol
I watch people walk around Epcot in 80 degree weather and you would think they are walking on the sun. They got the cooling towels, fans and squirt bottles going and have pastie white legs, tourist from the north. Nothing wrong with that but you can tell where they are from just by looking at them. I have a hoodie on with like brown legs sticking out. Lol. I don’t go outside, other than to work when it falls below 70.
I use to design hvac systems, everyone’s comfort level is different.

Last edited:
My husband keeps sending me videos/articles about people getting stuck on the skyliner for lengthy periods of time. Is this a frequent thing? Have any of y’all been stuck and for how long? I think 10 minutes would be fine but the heat and being trapped that high up would cause a panic attack for me with anything longer than 10 minutes. Trying to decide if we want to ride the skyliner just for kicks on our arrival day.
I've only ridden the Skyliner a handful of times. Out of that, I was stuck once for just a few minutes. It was unnerving enough that I'd never ride it on a very warm day. But not so unnerving that I'd never ride it at all. It depends on your comfort level with enclosed spaces. If your husband is so concerned that he keeps Googling the issue, he should probably stay off of it. It does stop occasionally, and when it does, there is no way to know when it will restart, no way to get off, no communication, etc. If you'd panic at that, you should stay off.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter