Getting stuck on the skyliner

AustinTink

DIS Veteran
My husband keeps sending me videos/articles about people getting stuck on the skyliner for lengthy periods of time. Is this a frequent thing? Have any of y’all been stuck and for how long? I think 10 minutes would be fine but the heat and being trapped that high up would cause a panic attack for me with anything longer than 10 minutes. Trying to decide if we want to ride the skyliner just for kicks on our arrival day.

Yes, it can but it's more likely to stop for a short period of time, less than a few minutes than 10+ min. That's normal. I would not boycott the skyliner for fear of getting stuck. Anything can happen at anytime but the skyliner is pretty good and easy to enjoy. It does go down for thunderstorms during the summer months but they won't leave you on there in a T-storm.

I admit I'm a bit paranoid about this too.

I have 2 rules about the skyliner.

1. Use the bathroom before I get on
2. Only ride when the sun has gone down

I will not be trapped in that thing in the middle of the day in July. No ma'am.

We have a Topolino's breakfast reservation around 11:30 one day in July. We will not take the skyliner from BC. I'll be driving our rental car. If we didn't have a car, I'd call an Uber.

Look at the dates of those articles/videos and you will likely find that they are pretty far apart. Yes, getting stuck can happen, just like on any ride. But it doesn't happen frequently. Shorter stops, like 5 minutes or less, are more common, but you're moving again before you really notice how long you've been stopped.

Of course, it's a risk you take, but it's a pretty small risk IMO. But if you're that concerned about it then it might be better to skip, if you're already anxious about it and then a delay does occur (even a short one), it might set off a panic attack that much faster.

To make OP feel more confident,let's all Post our Skyliner experience.

Approximately 50 Flights spread out across all 2 lines.

4 stops of between 1-3 minutes.
I've ridden it probably about 10 times. One stop of maybe 5 minutes, a few stops under 3-4 minutes, and mostly smooth flights with no delays.

ETA: I do get minor anxiety with being 'stuck' in small places. In the beginning the Skyliner did freak me out a bit with the idea of being stuck in that car. But that has really eased with having ridden it so many times with no big issues (and I find riding with others helps because I can talk to them to 'distract' myself).

The Skyliner goes over a lot of water and while it may be an unlikely scenario, I'm curious if people will be able to get the doors open in the event that a gondola falls in. There's no safety instructions and cast members don't seem to have an answer.

The Skyliner goes over a lot of water and while it may be an unlikely scenario, I'm curious if people will be able to get the doors open in the event that a gondola falls in. There's no safety instructions and cast members don't seem to have an answer.
Well, now I have a new fear unlocked. We have breakfast at Topolino’s and are staying at BW, so we were going to use it

I admit I'm a bit paranoid about this too.

I have 2 rules about the skyliner.

1. Use the bathroom before I get on
2. Only ride when the sun has gone down

I will not be trapped in that thing in the middle of the day in July. No ma'am.

We have a Topolino's breakfast reservation around 11:30 one day in July. We will not take the skyliner from BC. I'll be driving our rental car. If we didn't have a car, I'd call an Uber.
Very smart. I will follow your rules. Thanks

My husband keeps sending me videos/articles about people getting stuck on the skyliner for lengthy periods of time. Is this a frequent thing? Have any of y’all been stuck and for how long? I think 10 minutes would be fine but the heat and being trapped that high up would cause a panic attack for me with anything longer than 10 minutes. Trying to decide if we want to ride the skyliner just for kicks on our arrival day.
It sounds like your husband doesn’t want to ride, so it seems pointless to ride just for kicks. I’d pass.

I've probably been on the skyliner at least a dozen times....never had been stopped longer than a minute and it's not that hot, even in the summer. Between the ventilation and tinting, I swear it's comfortable.
I agree, you don't feel the heat in there at all. We have primarily traveled in June or September since the Skyliner opened, so pretty warm weather. The longest we've been stuck is roughly 10 minutes and we weren't hot at all. The dozens of rides we've taken were smooth sailing and it's a pretty fun way to get around.

Just for the record, I cannot and don't ride any skyliner-type rides at other places where my feet are "dangling". I need a floor, lol. Getting stuck for that 10 minutes was not a problem at all.

To be honest, if there is any rain on my weather app's radar (I always check before getting on now) I won't ride it though. Not for fear of getting stuck in the air, but stuck at Caribbean Beach. There is where we were once stuck for over an hour, only to have to run through torrential rain to get to the bus WDW finally called for everyone trapped at CB to get us to Epcot.

(At Epcot that was another nightmare in itself due to something security did, but that doesn't relate to the Skyliner :) )

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter