Getting help Transfering on rides?

cyke1

Earning My Ears
Just wondering if anybody has gotten help from some cast member or other park goers transfering from wheelchair to rides and back to chair? I know the cast members aren't really allowed to do that but there have been a few times at Disneyland where my wife and kids were help by a cast member to transfer me from my powerwheelchair to the Disneyland wheelchair so I could get on a ride. Just curious how helpful some cast members have been and other park goers? I know when I was with some friends a long time ago that helped this family a few times around 6 Flags. Don't know if Disney allows this? We will be going to WDW for the 1st time in October and not sure my wife and kids would be able to transfer me so that I could get on some rides I want to get on. Like Tower of Terror and Rise of Resistance? I just don't know what times we would be getting to those rides and how tired they would be? Don't want to push them to much. Thanks

I'm afraid I don't have good news, here. Disney doesn't want the liability; so, cast members are not suppose to help.

I would consider bringing someone strong and able body to join you on your trip and pay their way in return for their help.

We're here at WDW right now with a friend in a boot, using a knee scooter, so we have been in the accessible queues. I haven't seen any CMs assisting guests in or out of ride vehicles. The only assistance offered is at Jungle Cruise, where a CM straddles the boat/dock and offers an arm to be used by anyone who needs it.

I would not plan on anything more than a steadying hand/arm. If you need more assistance than that, you should have someone in your party that you can depend on.

If your kids are young, maybe a someone to help the kids would free your wife to assist you? I don’t know if Kids Nite Out is offering full services, but they used to offer a “mother’s helper” to join a family in the parks.

I would definitely not count on other park goers. I know that I, personally, would not be comfortable helping a stranger transfer. Not because I don’t want to be helpful, but I know that transferring needs to be done carefully and I wouldn’t want to potentially cause any injuries (or be injured myself) by a bunch of strangers trying to do the transfer.

CMs at DL and WDW can’t physically transfer or lift any guests. They are not trained to do transfers and/or to know what is safe for individual guests. They are able to:
- provide a ‘steadying hand’ on certain attractions (such as Jungle Cruise)
- move a mobility device from the loading area to the unloading area
- hold or steady a mobility device when a guest is getting on or off of it
- in certain attractions where guests must transfer from an ECV to a wheelchair, CMs may sometimes be able to push a wheelchair in line if the guest can’t propel it themselves and no member of their party can do it
Guests who need more assistance need to bring someone with them who can assist.
The main reasons for CMs not being being able to provide more assistance are liability and risk of injury.

Yes, I agree with others on here about the CM's not being allowed or trained to help. As an RN, I have been trained on how to lift patients correctly, and things can and do still go wrong.
My husband needs help getting out of low ride vehicles, such as Space Mountain. I always position myself to get out first so I can assist him.
So, you must have someone with you who can help with what you need.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!