Getting fit & losing weight before our next 2015 Disney trip!

How much more do you have to lost, how much time do you have to lose it in, & what/how much exercise are you doing per week? I can try to help give you a realistic check on if it can be done if you'd like.

Nice job on the mind shift to not care about people watching you walking around. That's exactly where you have to get your mind at. I had a bunch of people giving me looks & talking about me as I did laps inside my building at work all winter. Whatever, I'm DOING something. Try Sketchers Go Walk or Go Walk 3. VERY comfortable.

Thanks! I have 24 weeks (about 6 months) to lose 42 pounds. As of now, I walk between 2.5 and 5 miles per day, depending on weather and our schedule with the kids. I'm hoping once school gets out for the kiddos though, it'll be easier to be out and about doing things. We've also been changing up what we eat. Tons more veggies & fruits. With summer coming, it means more fresh veggies and I can't wait! All I know is I plan to go buy new clothes before our trip (when all the summer items are on clearance, so it works out well LOL)...

Thanks! I have 24 weeks (about 6 months) to lose 42 pounds. As of now, I walk between 2.5 and 5 miles per day, depending on weather and our schedule with the kids. I'm hoping once school gets out for the kiddos though, it'll be easier to be out and about doing things. We've also been changing up what we eat. Tons more veggies & fruits. With summer coming, it means more fresh veggies and I can't wait! All I know is I plan to go buy new clothes before our trip (when all the summer items are on clearance, so it works out well LOL)...

Ok, so my calculations based on my recent experience (losing a little over 40) would lead me to believe this...I'd say 42 is very aggressive for 6 months, BUT I do think it is realistic that you could achieve 20-30 or even more if you were very strict about the following:
1. Do an intense workout program 5 or more days per week (something like T25, P90X, Insanity, etc.)
2. Walk a minimum of 5 miles per day, every day & the majority of it should be medium-to-fast paced
3. Track your food intake daily (absolutely everything) & cut 500 calories out completely everyday. (assuming your intake is about 2000 or more)
4. Drink a ton of water (http://www.slenderkitchen.com/how-to-calculate-how-much-water-you-should-drink-a-day/)

If you do all of those things each & every day, then I think you can get in the 20-30 range comfortably. Depending upon your starting weight, you may even be able to lose more. I hope that doesn't bum you out, but I CAN tell you that 20-30 is totally doable IF you really put your mind to it. It was hard, really hard. There were weeks upon weeks that I plateaued, then I'd lose 3-4lbs in 1 week for no reason. It was frustrating. I know with my next goal I'll go through the same thing, but I also know we can't give up on it. If we give up then it is 100% certain the weight doesn't go away ever. At least if we are truly trying, the reality is we just need to be patient & it will come off. It does come off. I have to keep reminding myself, "It didn't take you 3 months to gain 40lbs, it can't be lost in 3 months either."

Ok, so my calculations based on my recent experience (losing a little over 40) would lead me to believe this...I'd say 42 is very aggressive for 6 months, BUT I do think it is realistic that you could achieve 20-30 or even more if you were very strict about the following:
1. Do an intense workout program 5 or more days per week (something like T25, P90X, Insanity, etc.)
2. Walk a minimum of 5 miles per day, every day & the majority of it should be medium-to-fast paced
3. Track your food intake daily (absolutely everything) & cut 500 calories out completely everyday. (assuming your intake is about 2000 or more)
4. Drink a ton of water (http://www.slenderkitchen.com/how-to-calculate-how-much-water-you-should-drink-a-day/)

If you do all of those things each & every day, then I think you can get in the 20-30 range comfortably. Depending upon your starting weight, you may even be able to lose more. I hope that doesn't bum you out, but I CAN tell you that 20-30 is totally doable IF you really put your mind to it. It was hard, really hard. There were weeks upon weeks that I plateaued, then I'd lose 3-4lbs in 1 week for no reason. It was frustrating. I know with my next goal I'll go through the same thing, but I also know we can't give up on it. If we give up then it is 100% certain the weight doesn't go away ever. At least if we are truly trying, the reality is we just need to be patient & it will come off. It does come off. I have to keep reminding myself, "It didn't take you 3 months to gain 40lbs, it can't be lost in 3 months either."
Thank you! I figured it would be ok since it was averaging out to between 1-2 pounds a week. I guess I never even thought about the plateaus though either. But hey, a great start is better than no start right? :)

Thank you! I figured it would be ok since it was averaging out to between 1-2 pounds a week. I guess I never even thought about the plateaus though either. But hey, a great start is better than no start right? :)
Oh trust me, if you commit to doing the things I mentioned you WILL lose a significant amount in 6 months. You will get well over halfway there, maybe even close to your goal. Everyone's body is different & loses it differently though so that's why I'm being a little conservative in the numbers. Like I said it all depends on how much you have to lose to begin with. The more fat you have to start with, the faster it seems to come off. As you get closer to your goal weight & see more tone & definition in your body, the more you will plateau & the loss becomes slower. Aggravating, but it happens.

I think your doing great! If you commit to doing everything & set your mind to it, you will be thrilled with what happens in 6 months. You won't be disappointed.

Oh trust me, if you commit to doing the things I mentioned you WILL lose a significant amount in 6 months. You will get well over halfway there, maybe even close to your goal. Everyone's body is different & loses it differently though so that's why I'm being a little conservative in the numbers. Like I said it all depends on how much you have to lose to begin with. The more fat you have to start with, the faster it seems to come off. As you get closer to your goal weight & see more tone & definition in your body, the more you will plateau & the loss becomes slower. Aggravating, but it happens.

I think your doing great! If you commit to doing everything & set your mind to it, you will be thrilled with what happens in 6 months. You won't be disappointed.
LOVE LOVE LOVE the motivation on this board!!! No negativity what so ever! Just positive honesty! :) Thank you!

Hi everyone!! My name is Bethany and I have two upcoming trips to WDW: June 2015 (so close!) and August 2015. I've slowly managed to put on about 30 pounds over the past few years and it's time to kiss it goodbye. I want to be fit, healthy and feel fabulous wearing shorts!

I started by tracking steps with a FitBit and making sure to get in at least 10K per day. Now, I've added spin and Zumba classes to my repertoire along with the Couch to 5K program. I managed to get a pretty coveted spot on the Boston Children's Hospital "Miles for Miracles" team running the Falmouth road race in August. Right now, I can't even run a whole mile but this is great motivation!

I won't be where I want to be for the June trip - it's just two weeks away - but it's time to get started. Hopefully, I'll lose a few pounds between now and this trip and be at my goal for August. Here's hoping!! I'll be sure to check in with my progress. So happy to have found this thread!

Hi everyone!! My name is Bethany and I have two upcoming trips to WDW: June 2015 (so close!) and August 2015. I've slowly managed to put on about 30 pounds over the past few years and it's time to kiss it goodbye. I want to be fit, healthy and feel fabulous wearing shorts!

I started by tracking steps with a FitBit and making sure to get in at least 10K per day. Now, I've added spin and Zumba classes to my repertoire along with the Couch to 5K program. I managed to get a pretty coveted spot on the Boston Children's Hospital "Miles for Miracles" team running the Falmouth road race in August. Right now, I can't even run a whole mile but this is great motivation!

I won't be where I want to be for the June trip - it's just two weeks away - but it's time to get started. Hopefully, I'll lose a few pounds between now and this trip and be at my goal for August. Here's hoping!! I'll be sure to check in with my progress. So happy to have found this thread!

:welcome: to a fellow New Englander :) There's no better time to start than the present! We'll help you out!

Stopping by to update! We leave for Disneyland in less than a week! I was planning to keep working out this week, and continue the double workouts. My 16 week PiYo/T25 hybrid ended last week, I also started doubling up with 21 Day Fix Extreme for weeks 15 & 16 and then scheduled workouts for this week too. Monday and yesterday had me feeling really off, I wasn't getting through my workouts well and there haven't been huge diet or sleep changes, so I took it as a sign that my body really needs a break. Aside from hitting my FitBit step goal and maybe a bit of yoga or dancing when I need a non-food de-stress, I'm taking a recovery break! I'm happy with where I'm at, and typically I'll drop a bit of weight/inches when I take a few days off as well so that's another reason to ease up :)

Well tomorrow is my next weigh in day and I have had a really good week as far as calories and exercise go so I am really hoping for a decent loss this week. Also I made it through the meds I take a week each month that normally make me want to eat everything and that went ok as well. I will try to remember to update in the morning. Hope everyone is having a wonderful week, the weekend is almost here!

Update - This week I lost 4.8 more pounds! It was a very good week in terms of hitting my goals and exceeding them in a lot of ways. When I joined this thread I remember for sure what weight I started at because I had already lost some weight, then I gained back most of the 11 pounds it says right now so I am just going to have you put my current loss at 13.8 because it is what I have lost since May 1st when I got back on track. That way it syncs with what I have in my fitness tracker. So since May 1st I have lost 13.8 pounds and hopefully by September I can be above 40 pounds lost, but that is a really hefty goal so we will see what this journey has in store for me.

Hope everyone else had a wonderful week and has a super weekend!

Another weekly update! I've lost 2 more pounds. That puts me at 10/50 lost! I'm 20% to my goal. I feel good about it! I've walked 6/7 days for 2.7 miles every morning. 2 or 3 (can't remember) evenings, I walked another 2.7 miles in addition to my mornings. We've been in the process of learning "how to snack". In other words, how to portion. We eat a lot more salads and soup (homemade only) than we ever did before, but we still have our snacks that we love so we don't feel deprived. I know there's a good possibility I won't meet my goal before my trip in November, but regardless, I'm making progress and the closer I am, the more excited I will be to stick with it! We've adjusted to getting up at 5am every morning to walk before everyone starts to get ready for the day. We just learned to go to bed earlier which is a huge change for us.

Stopping by to update! We leave for Disneyland in less than a week! I was planning to keep working out this week, and continue the double workouts. My 16 week PiYo/T25 hybrid ended last week, I also started doubling up with 21 Day Fix Extreme for weeks 15 & 16 and then scheduled workouts for this week too. Monday and yesterday had me feeling really off, I wasn't getting through my workouts well and there haven't been huge diet or sleep changes, so I took it as a sign that my body really needs a break. Aside from hitting my FitBit step goal and maybe a bit of yoga or dancing when I need a non-food de-stress, I'm taking a recovery break! I'm happy with where I'm at, and typically I'll drop a bit of weight/inches when I take a few days off as well so that's another reason to ease up :)

I hear ya! After my last round of 21DFX I was pooped & needed a break too! Perfect timing for a Disney vaca. :)

Update - This week I lost 4.8 more pounds! It was a very good week in terms of hitting my goals and exceeding them in a lot of ways. When I joined this thread I remember for sure what weight I started at because I had already lost some weight, then I gained back most of the 11 pounds it says right now so I am just going to have you put my current loss at 13.8 because it is what I have lost since May 1st when I got back on track. That way it syncs with what I have in my fitness tracker. So since May 1st I have lost 13.8 pounds and hopefully by September I can be above 40 pounds lost, but that is a really hefty goal so we will see what this journey has in store for me.

Hope everyone else had a wonderful week and has a super weekend!

Congratulations! Great work!

Another weekly update! I've lost 2 more pounds. That puts me at 10/50 lost! I'm 20% to my goal. I feel good about it! I've walked 6/7 days for 2.7 miles every morning. 2 or 3 (can't remember) evenings, I walked another 2.7 miles in addition to my mornings. We've been in the process of learning "how to snack". In other words, how to portion. We eat a lot more salads and soup (homemade only) than we ever did before, but we still have our snacks that we love so we don't feel deprived. I know there's a good possibility I won't meet my goal before my trip in November, but regardless, I'm making progress and the closer I am, the more excited I will be to stick with it! We've adjusted to getting up at 5am every morning to walk before everyone starts to get ready for the day. We just learned to go to bed earlier which is a huge change for us.

Wonderful job! Congratulations!

Checking in now that I'm back from my long weekend trip at Disney. I'm happy to report I didn't gain anything while I was gone. Thanks to my trusty Fitbit I know we walked 68 miles in the 4.5 days we were there. I'm sure that helped. I'm thinking my next goal will probably be 20lbs by my next trip in December. I'm also going to start Insanity Max 30 soon.

Hi, everyone. :wave2: I'm Megan, and my Disney trip starts October 25th, 2015. It's our Disneymoon! We're getting married on October 24, 2015, so that's my real goal date. My overall goal weight loss is 60lbs, but I'm hoping to lose 30lbs by October. We're 144 days away from the wedding/trip, and the logic in me says it's doable... That's losing 0.2lbs a day! But I'm really bad at staying on track.... I mean really bad. I can't even tell you how many times I've "started" my weight loss routine since January 1st. Imagine where I could be right now if I'd actually stuck with it! :scratchin:scared1:

I work a desk job, so it's really hard to stay active during the day. When I went from being a hotel manager to this job last October, I put on another 15 lbs just from not being on my feet and running around all day.

My fiancee is also trying to lose weight by then, but he's even worse about it than I am... which results in the both of us not doing anything we should. Haha. He's really good at giving in to me if I say I don't want to walk or I want to eat something I know I don't need to eat. :headache:

I'm in crunch time now so I'm hoping this will help me turn my situation around. I've started walking around the parking lot on my lunch break (I can get in 3 laps on my break, which totals 2 miles) and some light weight training at home a few evenings a week. I plan to also do 30 minutes on the treadmill every morning or doing a round of Daily Burn, but haven't had success yet with actually waking up early enough to do it and make it to work on time. :rotfl: I'm also working on a high protein/low carb diet, eating smaller meals 5 times a day (which usually works out to every 3 hours or so). But none of that does me any good if I only do it a few days every week or two (or sometimes three... :eek:), so here I am!

Please feel free to give me any tips or advice! I don't know what I'm doing haha. And I'm desperate!

Also, I tend to be thread bad luck... Whenever I post, no one ever posts again! Haha. Fingers crossed that doesn't happen here!

Last edited:
Hi, everyone. :wave2: I'm Megan, and my Disney trip starts October 25th, 2015. It's our Disneymoon! We're getting married on October 24, 2015, so that's my real goal date. My overall goal weight loss is 60lbs, but I'm hoping to lose 30lbs by October. We're 144 days away from the wedding/trip, and the logic in me says it's doable... That's losing 0.2lbs a day! But I'm really bad at staying on track.... I mean really bad. I can't even tell you how many times I've "started" my weight loss routine since January 1st. Imagine where I could be right now if I'd actually stuck with it! :scratchin:scared1:

I work a desk job, so it's really hard to stay active during the day. When I went from being a hotel manager to this job last October, I put on another 15 lbs just from not being on my feet and running around all day.

My fiancee is also trying to lose weight by then, but he's even worse about it than I am... which results in the both of us not doing anything we should. Haha. He's really good at giving in to me if I say I don't want to walk or I want to eat something I know I don't need to eat. :headache:

I'm in crunch time now so I'm hoping this will help me turn my situation around. I've started walking around the parking lot on my lunch break (I can get in 3 laps on my break, which totals 2 miles) and some light weight training at home a few evenings a week. I plan to also do 30 minutes on the treadmill every morning or doing a round of Daily Burn, but haven't had success yet with actually waking up early enough to do it and make it to work on time. :rotfl: I'm also working on a high protein/low carb diet, eating smaller meals 5 times a day (which usually works out to every 3 hours or so). But none of that does me any good if I only do it a few days every week or two (or sometimes three... :eek:), so here I am!

Please feel free to give me any tips or advice! I don't know what I'm doing haha. And I'm desperate!

Also, I tend to be thread bad luck... Whenever I post, no one ever posts again! Haha. Fingers crossed that doesn't happen here!

Hi Megan! Look, I'm breaking your curse. :) Welcome to the group. We have gotten a little quiet over the last few months but I'm hoping people are just enjoying their vacations & will be back soon.

Congratulations on your wedding this year! A Disneymoon is going to be so fun!

I just completed my first goal of losing 40lbs. Now I'm on to my second. I can help give you advice if you'd like. Just ask away.

Good luck!

Checking in myself this week. I've set a new goal for myself of 20lbs by my trip in December. It should be totally doable, but as with anything you start at the beginning for, I'm nervous. I think it is because I feel like I'm in uncharted waters. I haven't been the size I am now for 11 years. 11 years! I can't believe I'm here. Now I'm targeting getting back to a size that I targeted as my "ideal" size, which was a size I was 15 years ago. Holy cow, when I actually say it it sounds ridiculous. I had a good day yesterday. Yesterday out of the blue my husband said I look skinny. Then I went to Kohls to buy some "wish" clothes. I found jeans in my goal size for $2.50, &...I could actually get in them & button them! They weren't pretty (very tight), but that gives me hope that I'm not that far away.

I started my new challenge this week. I'm doing Insanity Max 30. I was very scared when I got it. I've done 2 workouts so far & they are HARD, but I LOVE it. I think I may even like this series better than T25. We'll see after I do more of the videos. I should be burning a ton of calories in this one!

Attachments

• 11392900_1002222659790787_3191318925668729130_n.jpg
    11392900_1002222659790787_3191318925668729130_n.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 1
Over the last two weeks I have lost 3.2 pounds total bringing my total up to 17.0 pounds lost. Slowly but Shirley it is coming off. It is hard to see how bad I let it get and how far I have to go to be healthy weight. We are walking 3-5 miles a day as long as the weather is good, usually between 3.4 and 3.8 so that is certainly helping. Also as always I love having Disney friends on MFP so if anyone is interested my username is jhuntley15 add me.

Hope everyone else is doing well! I am updating in my IPAD while I am biking so I cannot go comment on everyone, but I will try later when I am on a real computer

Over the last two weeks I have lost 3.2 pounds total bringing my total up to 17.0 pounds lost. Slowly but Shirley it is coming off. It is hard to see how bad I let it get and how far I have to go to be healthy weight. We are walking 3-5 miles a day as long as the weather is good, usually between 3.4 and 3.8 so that is certainly helping. Also as always I love having Disney friends on MFP so if anyone is interested my username is jhuntley15 add me.

Hope everyone else is doing well! I am updating in my IPAD while I am biking so I cannot go comment on everyone, but I will try later when I am on a real computer
Good work, Finny!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter