• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Geriatric MM Warriors June 13, 2010

Diane, are you on Facebook? It seems like no one wants to meet here anymore. I don't really understand why when we all loved the site so much. I get kind of sad when I check in here now that it seems to be dying on the vine. :confused3

Hi Lisa, No, I don't have a Facebook page. I don't want one. I think this is a summer lull on our little site. Do you have Kathy & Pam's email addresses? I'm sure Jocelyn will check in when she gets back. I know, I check here during the day and I get disappointed when there's no new post.

I applied for a few jobs yesterday on craigslist and this morning there was a response from one of them. Unfortunately, it was a scam! She thanked me for applying and said it looked like I was a perfect match. She then goes on to say that they need a credit check because of the financial aspect of the position and once they received it she would like to meet with me next week. There was a link to click on that brought me to a site that offered free credit reports. I wrote back and said that I would like to meet for an interview and if she wanted to offer me the position I would be more than happy to supply any credit info. The email I sent was returned with the info that the email did not exist! Flags were raised at the request for financial info and then the returned email confirmed it. Isn't that terrible?!

When do you leave for your vacation? Is it this weekend?

We don't leave until the 30th, but I can't stop talking about it, lol! Facebook's fun for seeing pictures and little blubs and you can still have private conversations with a person that no one else can see. It's a good way for me to see my son and his girlfriend a little bit during the week. I'm so glad you didn't fall for the scam! They are really getting crafty trying to get financial information from people. My son told me not to have the same password for my email as for my financial accounts in case a hacker gets into my email. I'm going to revamp some things just in case. Good luck with the job hunt!

Hi everyone. I have only been partly MIA. I stopped in a few times before work to read, but no time to post. Haven't even been keeping up with FB. Just been busy trying to catch up with my missed work from our little vacation. I am really paying for it now. My body is sooo sore and hurting, and I am still exhausted. I did have a good "up" day on Monday and over did it a bit. I worked 9-4 and came home and mowed the grass. It was such a nice day out, low heat and humidity. Lesson learnt. I know part of my problem is my weight, and I am really trying to figure out if it is CFS, AF, Fibromyalgia, or MM. Mike's niece knows someone with Fibro so I am going to talk to her and see what dr. she goes to. It took her over 2 years to get diagnosed!!
I have been doing some major thinking and I think when Mike gets back to work, after a few months, I may let my "big" house and offices go. I just don't have it in me to do all that work anymore. I am hoping to get enough smaller houses to make up for what I am making now. I guess the kicker was when the gas well exploded and the 2 people died. The man never even showed up at the funeral home to pay his respects. No flowers were delivered either. This really bothers me that he never made an attempt to go. I don't really think I can work for someone who doesn't really give a crap about people. I was once told that his employees are nothing more than a number/employee to him. I can honestly see that now. He is really nice, but it seems as though if it interferes with something he wants to do, he doesn't do it. I guess self-centered is the word I'm looking for.
Ok, enough rambling LOL.

Diane, sorry about the job. Seems like there are lots of con people out there now :( Lisa is right about FB. It is a really nice way to keep in touch with friends and family, and you can PM people also. That is how I keep in touch with my brother and sister.

Lisa, I never realized that CA had such dry spells. No wonder there are so many fires out there during the summer!! You would never catch Tyson out in the rain LOL. He holds it as long as possible so he doesn't have to get wet. He even hates baths. He will get into the tub, but he sulks the whole time. Bailey on the other hand LOVES the water. Whether it's raining, the hose, the bathtub, or a creek LOL. I would love to take them to the beach though. Hopefully next year or so!

Ok, have to get ready for work. I'll try to get back here more often. Have a great day guys!!

Hi Kathy - So happy to 'see' you! I'm sorry you're not feeling well. My friend has fibro and if anyone touches her shoulders it can send her through the roof. She went through a lot to get diagnosed. She has other health problems too - knee replacement, diabetes and she just had surgery for a torn rotator cuff.
I don't blame you for not wanting to work for someone you can't respect. Hopefully Mike will get work soon and you can give them your notice (or raise your fees drastically ;) ).

Thanks for the welcome, Diane. If I misspell or anything please forgive me. I am doing this on my phone LOL.
I broke down today and bought some of the Fatigued to Fantastic End Pain formula. I really didn't want to spend the 23.00 on it but I have been really hurting. It said you would experience almost immediate relief. I thought "ya right." But in about a 1/2 hour to 45 minutes my back didn't hurt hardly at all! I just took my second pill. I am now thinking of getting the sleep formula also. Hopefully this is the answers to my prayers.
I'll check in when I get home. Having a hard time typing. LOL
Oh and yes, there were quite a few times Mike hurt me by just giving me a hug and he wasn't really hugging tightly. Felt like every bone was breaking. Even my skin hurts :( ok later :)

Kathy - Hope you're feeling better today. That's really great that the pain reliever worked so quickly! Yay!

Tomorrow is our outing to NJ. We didn't go at all last week. I was going to go on Friday, but changed my mind. Sooo, we're going to sleep over tomorrow night and spend 2 days. I don't think the weather is going to be too great.

Talk to you later!

Not much going on here lately. Been easing into my MM the last week or so. After the horrible migraine a couple Saturday's ago, I slowly eased off the caffeine and slowly added splenda to my diet. I was doing 1/2 splenda, 1/2 sugar. I am now all splenda. Been watching the carbs closer, but still not doing MM per say.
I have some Sami bread I got for Mike's DD and she doesn't like it, and it's like 13 net carbs, but millet and flax. It does have brown rice flour in it, so I am going to freeze some of it for step 2. It does have 2 gr. fiber in it so it's step 2 worthy LOL.

I am going to try to make some homemade decaf vanilla frappuccino with almond milk in it and s/f toranni syrup. That would make it legal for something different.

Diane, hope you had fun on your trip!!
Ok, off to bed :)

Kathy: Where did you find the pain formula? I'm really having a tough time lately with the shoulder. Can't sleep...

Lisa,
I got it at our local natural store. But I found it cheaper at Vitacost. It is around $15 for 90 pills with the flat shipping of $4.99. I found all of vitacost prices to be cheaper. It helped me until yesterday and I over did it with work and such. I worked at 2 houses, got home around 2:30 (started at 9:30) and scrubbed the living room floor (Bailey had a nasty poo accident the previous night). I scrubbed it really well then went to work at one of my offices until 8. My back and feet are killing me today. I would like to take an extra "go" of the pain pills, but it says only to take no more than 2 pills 3 times a day.

Ok, have to get ready for work and get going. I'll check back later :)

Thanks, Kathy! Don't you love being on a site where you can say Vitacost?!! Do they ship pretty quickly?

I have learned about a procedure called cold laser therapy which we plan to check out. I'll let you know how it goes. Chiropractor that does it got rid of all the pain in my parents' neighbor's back. I heard of a lady today that is a naturopath that does it too. I'm calling her today to learn more.:thumbsup2

You're welcome, Lisa! I personally don't know how quickly they ship, but I think I remember from LCF someone saying they shipped pretty fast. I will need to order some soon, Mike and his DD found them and are trying them. So they will not last me long at all now. 3 people taking 2 pills 3 times a day, I am thinking this will last me just over a week. His DD usually will start a med and quit taking it in a couple days if she doesn't feel better. She doesn't give them time to build up in her system. :confused3 They help me during the day but not so much at night. My back is really hurting now, so thinking I will be going to the chiropractor today. Let me know if you try the cold laser therapy!

I have been holding my own the last couple days. I have been drinking homemade Frappucinno with 2% milk, s/f vanilla syrup and decaf espresso. I want to get down to 1% milk and then skim milk. I only drink it in the afternoons as a treat. I am saving some 9oz bottles and pour it into those and just grab one and go to work. I know we've been down this road before LOL. I am not showing weight loss, but my belly seems to be shrinking.

This week has been really busy for me. I worked 11 hours yesterday!! I just need to get today in, and I'm home free. Starting to think I need to rethink my line of work. But I like making my own hours and having weekends off. I am contemplating quitting the offices so I have my evenings open also. Not sure what I'll do. Just feeling a need for change of sorts I guess.

I'll check back later when I am eating lunch. Have a great day!!

Good morning everyone!! :goodvibes

I've not abandoned you all, never!;) We got back from Mexico last Friday, found my PC power supply fried by a lightening strike that also outed my phones, cable, a couple of outlets, TV's, coffee pot, etc. Ugh!! I have a super PC nerd for a bother in law and he managed to fix my PC and just got it back to me this morning! YAY! :yay: Sooo Hi! Hi! Hi! to everyone.

We left a week early for this trip, I had less than forty eight hours for final prep and out the door we went. DH finished up a contract and he was ready to go...I wasn't! :laughing: The trip was very long and we worked hard and each evening we visited the ranch plaza to join in on the religious festivities and eats...think bad county fair with lots of folks just walking around looking at each other and visiting. lol Not much fun for me but DH loves visiting with cousins and old friends he grew up with, as you can imagine. I like the working on the house part. We did manage to completely finish up the master, the large bath, and living room. Kitchen is next, then on to the two extra guest rooms. That "Guests Welcome" sign hanging is getting closer and closer! :goodvibes

We discovered his mother, 76 yrs old, has early onset Alzheimer's. She's had two mild strokes and though she's moble and very alert most of the time, she's doing things like leaving the stove on, forgetting or refusing to eat, and roaming off, she's still good at remembering her childrens names but can't seem to recall any of the grand kids already. Sad. This has thrown DH a curve ball and he has moved up our original plan to spend extended periods of time down there.

On an up note, I lost three and a half pounds while down there. Without a scale, I knew from my clothes that I was taking it off. It suprised me that it was only three and a half, it felt more like ten or fifteen! Not complaining, I'll take it! :cool1:

Lisa, sorry you're having troubles with your shoulder! :hug: I hope you continue to feel better. Your upcoming vacation sounds heavenly! I look forward to the time when we can go to Mexico and just relax and take care of daily chores or spend time exploring the country and tropical resort areas that we've not experienced yet.

Kathy, good to hear you're still plugging away and remain dedicated to returning to Step I. My small loss on vacation made it super easy for me to get right back on track as soon as I got to the grocery store, when we returned. I feel great and since I managed to keep low carb while gone, the return to Step I was a breeze this time! Keep it up! You can do it!:hug:

Diane, so glad you're still walking! There is something so psychologically right about it, don't you think? I managed to get two of my sister in laws to walk with me for about two and a half miles every other morning while we were gone. A couple of times they didn't show up, I dragged one of my DH's nephews with me a couple of times when they didn't show. He's ten and spent his first six years here in town so his English is fair and he's funny as a monkey. We worked on his English and he had me laughing the entire time. He was way more fun than my SIL's! :laughing:

Where's that Jocelyn off to this time? I remain so envious all her travels! Jocelyn, where ever you are, I hope you're having a terrific time.

The weather here has been amazing since we returned, yards a mess and I'm so very grateful for it. I actually mowed then had to hand rake over three of the acres. Can you imagine? :laughing: Good workout anyway! lol My planting beds have fallen to compete ruin. My plan today is to tackle those and see what I can salvage, so the place doesn't look like its waiting for a foreclosure to take place!! :lmao: (sure glad we have no broken windows!) Bah ha! Anyway, the high for today is only 78 with no humidity, so I'm off to take full advantage of it.

It's good to be back and catch up with you all!! :dance3: See you all soon!!

Pam: So glad you are back! We missed you! :)Where in Mexico is your house again? We love that House Hunters International show. Sounds like you got A LOT done while you were there! So sorry to hear your MIL is showing signs of Alzheimer’s. Has she been diagnosed? We found out there are many kinds of dementia. My MIL has the same symptoms and has had mini-strokes, but she doesn’t have Alzheimer’s. She has vascular dementia. It’s not as cruel as Alzheimer’s, but it’s been difficult none the less. I’m glad you can spend more time with her in the future

I feel like I’m going to get my life back physically so hopefully I’ll be back in the gang with you losing weight from exercising. :cool1:I’ve been walking but not having my usual zip. I saw the therapist yesterday with the cold laser. It was like a miracle! She has her degree in sports medicine and is a massage therapist as well as owning a cold laser machine. She does the intense kind of deep therapy where she moved the muscles and tendons back in to place and breaks up scar tissue. Then follows it with the cold laser to speed healing. I learned about her from some football moms. The type of therapy she does gets athletes back ‘in the game’ much quicker than physical therapy. I believe it! It was brutal while she was moving things around. I kept saying Sorry. She said, “Why are you saying Sorry, I’m hurting YOU”. I said because I’m Southern. She cracked up.

I slept for the first time without pain last night and feel so much more like myself today even though I am sore from the manipulation. It’s a different kind of sore than injured, if you know what I mean.

I don’t know how on Earth you could rake 3 acres by hand! The way I think I really sent my shoulder over the edge was by painting my MIL’s house and then my own so be careful. Too much repetitive motion is bad for you.

The forecast says we might get some rain on the coast but only for off and on two days. I hope it moves on out and we don’t get any! I bought my son’s girlfriend’s daughter a kite the shape of a dragonfly and it’s printed on white fabric so you can color it yourself. I got her some glitter paints and pens and jewels to decorate it. With two adult artists there she should have plenty of help! I hope she gets to fly it, weather permitting. Forgive me if I already told you this. I don’t remember!

I’m trying to eliminate wheat. Read a lot about it lately. I think I’ll wait to do it 100% until we get back cause I feel some French bread with clam chowder coming on, lol! I’ve gone back to eating some oatmeal once in a while for breakfast and my healthy salads. I feel good anyway.

Hope you all have a delicious weekend! It’s very cool here after a brief hot spell so I’m heading out with Bonnie for a good walk.

Hi everyone!:wave2:

Great to see someone post Lisa!:hug: I was beginning to wonder if this place had been abandoned!?

Ready for your vacation? Silly question huh. The kite sounds perfect, I'm sure she will absolutely love it, heck, I'd love it!;) I'm so happy for you that your treatments seem to be doing the trick!:dance3: I sincerely hope it returns you to your old self soon!:goodvibes Sooo funny about you apologizing for the pain she was causing you!:laughing: I have no physcial issues that deter me from doing anything, even raking three acres by hand. The only thing that happened was a slight sunburn and a couple of hand blisters.;)

The closest towns to Rancho Salazarez (where the house is) is Tlaltenango Zacatecas or Momax Zacatecas. Since there are wonderful toll roads a lot of the way down now, the trip from Loredo to the Ranch has been decrease by a few hours. I used to dread the Mexico driving part but now enjoy it the most. Here's a little bit of reading on it. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tlaltenango_de_Sánchez_Román_Municipality
This is the town we go to for shopping, food market and just about anything else we need. (it's about an 8 minute drive from the ranch) The ranch only has three very small stores that carry fresh breads, snacks, fresh fruit and veggies, and a few cleaning supplies. I think they're all kind of getting used to seeing me and my red/blonde hair walking about town now, I didn't get near as mean lears and jeers this trip down. lol Bummer!:laughing:

I'm not sure about the type of Alzheimers diagnoses. She had just returned to the ranch the day before we got there from Los Angels where she was diagnosed while staying with one of my husband's sisters. So much stuff get's lost in the translation when I'm pumping them for information I'm afraid. My maternal grandmother had it and now two of my mother's sisters have it, it scares me that it's that close in my family. Everyone here seems horrified for me over my MIL's diagonosis. It's a funny thing though, I have no ill thoughts when considering the fact that we may end up her primary care givers. It may be that my resolve is set that it needs to happen and we were planning to start spending much more time down there anyway. ::shrug:: The way of life is so peaceful and I seem to just fit right in there. Maybe it's an age thing, maybe it's just being so familiar with it all now.

Good for your cooler weather, enjoy, we had a beautiful week here. We're setting a record low rainfall for the month, the grass is dry and brittle and the trees seem to be a little wilting, far from the prettiest thing I've ever seen.

I'm planning a Fiesta style birthday party for three of my grandkids next weekend. Three birthdays in one month drives the thought of having one massive one and getting it all over with. It's been fun shopping for all the decorations this week. We picked up a horse pinata in Loredo that comes up to my waist. Should be fun, but am thinking of ways to keep it mostly inside because of how ugly everything is outside right now, even with all my efforts.

I do have some lighter news! I'm going to be a grandma once again! My middle daughter (27) got engaged and three days later found out that she's expecting! So we're planning an end of March baby and a huge September 2011 wedding. Shhhhh, don't tell anyone, they snuck down to the courthouse yesterday and got married by the JP. They, the judge, and I are the only three people that know about it. She was utterly distraught over the thought of having a baby and not being married, (guess I instilled something a little right in her somewhere along the lines).:laughing: I told them to just go ahead and do it and not let anyone know and proceed on with the big wedding plans with the thought that if no one knew they were already married then no one could poo poo the idea of the big wedding. Good thinking huh? :ccat:

I think I just wrote half a novel, lol, you all have a great weekend!!

Ok, I did post yesterday, but it's not here. Hmmm thinking a conspiracy!! LOL

I will try to not forget anything, but if I do, please forgive me.

Lisa, glad the shoulder is doing better. It is amazing what sports medicine can do!! Just be careful with it and don't hurt it again!! Is your trip coming up soon? I am thinking you said the end of the month, and that's actually Tues.

Pam, so sorry to hear about MIL. It is such a difficult disease for all involved. I will keep you all in my thoughts and prayers. Mexico sounds like such a nice place!! I wouldn't mind the slower pace, that is for sure!!

I weighed myself this morning. I am down 9#! I am saying I have been on MM for 2 weeks. It's not 100% on plan, but pretty close. I did some retail therapy the last couple days LOL. Got some good deals too. Found a pantsuit to wear to my best friend's DD's wedding coming up on 9/18.
We had a serenade for Tris and Levi's first anniversary last night. Their anniversary isn't until 9/19, but this was the only weekend they could get all the people together. I'll see how the video turned out on my phone and post it on FB and link it here.

I'll check back later. Have to help Mike's DD (youngest) move the rest of her stuff into the house. Their mom is moving to AZ today. It's not going to be a fun day :(

Later everyone!!

Hi Pam & Kathy! So happy to 'see' you both!

Lisa - VACATION TIME! I'm sure you've been packed and ready for days.:lmao: Have a wonderful time! Are you leaving in the morning?

We had a nice time in NJ with my sister and her family. The weather was perfect. We arrived Wed. afternoon and left on Friday afternoon. Her son and his family that have the 2 high-maintenance kids had left on Tuesday, so it was nice and quiet. :thumbsup2 Her youngest grandson is 3 and he is a really funny kid. We enjoyed him so much. I walked while I was there, but once it was to the ice cream shop. :confused3

Just saying a quick Hi! I've been cleaning, paying bills and working before packing. Tom's worked a lot of emergencies this week and he is bushed! We need a vacation, but not until he catches up on sleep so I have to be quiet today. No vacuuming, bummer! I've got my office cleaned and contacted most of my clients so feeling pretty good about being ready in time.

John-Paul and his girlfriend had a falling out yesterday and she might not be coming now. Evidently, she's been angry a lot about how much he's had to work in the last two weeks. She may have a short memory because prior to that he only had to work 4 - 5 hours on a lot of days. That's the nature of his kind of work. It's not going to work out if she can't understand his commitment to his clients and career at this point. He's feeling like maybe they are at different places in their lives right now. Who knows though, they could make up today and work it all out, lol! That's why I was careful not to say anything bad that could come back to bite me. I did tell him that when he meets his soul mate, he will want to be with her all the time so maybe he hasn't met her yet. Time will tell.

Pam: I'm so glad you are feeling so strong and planning such a fun party! I'm very tender today with some bruising from the treatment, but able to do more and feeling very upbeat about my progress. Can't wait to walk on the beach!

I'll probably pop in before we take off one more time. Love to you all!

Hello everyone! :wave2:

Lisa, great advice to JP. He may be needing this vacation as much as you and Tom do, might be the perfect thing. I hope you all have a terrific, relaxing time. ...walk on the beach..::sigh::..sounds heavenly.

Diane good to see you, glad you got in a couple of peaceful days and were able to enjoy the company.;)

I envy those of you that get to spend time near water, especially beaches. I married a landlubber pirate: arrrrgh! It's not much fun! ;) I grew up always vacationing near water, mostly Florida, and haven't been to a beach since I was eighteen. I miss it, but do have tons of good childhood memories of it..... I feel another sigh coming on. :laughing:

Today was a total bust for me, I'm tired and have been roaming the house, still in my PJ's, I even sent DH to the store for me while took a nap. I guess things are catching up with me and I need to be lazy for a day. I don't like the feeling, glad it doesn't happen often! lol

Once again, Lisa you have a great time, we'll see you soon. Don't forget to post us some great pics on facebook!

You all have a great night!

Whew. We're having another heatwave this week! At least it cools down in the evening. We're supposed to get some rain on Friday from the hurricane. So far it doesn't look like it's going to be too bad. My son, Owen, is leaving on Saturday for a week in Martha's Vineyard with his father. It looks like the weekend might be dicey weather, but hopefully it will clear out during the week.

I hope Lisa is enjoying her vacation! I'm sure she's enjoying every minute with JP!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter