Geriatric MM Warriors June 13, 2010

Hi,

We are back.

How nice to see so many posts. I was trying to read some of them in the airport on my phone, but find I get a bit seasick scrolling around to read things on it!!!

We went to Calgary in Canada for a funeral. One of Bob's cousins passed away last Wednesday of a stroke. He is younger than us. His mother is still living and at almost 94 lives alone on the farm they have had forever. We have quite a few relatives there and were able to see most of them at the service. We stayed with another cousin. While the occasion was sad, it was great to see so many people. We hadn't been up for a couple of years and were trying to figure out how and when to get back there. This decided it for us so off we flew. We usually drive from California.

I am trying to cut back on diet sodas and other sugars as you know. They don't bother me at all in any physical sense as they do some people, but do know we don't need them. Jorge is adamant about doing away with them and people who seem to do well on his plan have managed to eliminate them all together. I wish they did bother me and then I wouldn't be tempted!!:laughing: Fortunately I am not fond of lots of sweets but hubby likes his low carb peanut butter cookies and do have to use some artificial sugar in them.

For me it is better to use a little bit than to give into the real thing, but not go overboard.

I also think Diane is a bit rigid in some of her thoughts and as said before, I wish they - the current diet gurus - would give more credit to Atkins as they are copying a lot of his original thoughts.

I know the current Atkins says no more than 3 packets worth of sweeteners a day and that is not a lot.

Lisa - your garden is lovely. I love the hibiscus picture. Kathy - they are very sensitive to cold so would take extra care in the winter where you are.

Pam - glad the roads are open for your trip.

Now have to go unpack, we got back late last night, and then get organized for the day. We leave in less than 2 weeks for a long trip and that will take quite a bit of organization, too.

I need to get back to the pool!!!!!

Hugs to ALL

Welcome back, Jocelyn. So sorry to hear about your husband's cousin.
Sounds like you had a nice family reunion as a result - it's always sad when it's because of a funeral though.

Kathy - I live in NY and when I had my house I grew dinner plate size hibiscus from seed. They're very easy. (If I could do it, anyone can.) They grew over 5 ft. tall and had constant flowers. Give it a try next spring.

Pam - Yay for the roads being clear! Have fun shopping and I hope you get some good bargains today.

Today is my 51st birthday! I had lunch with 3 friends and later Owen & I are going to the Walkway Over the Hudson and then to dinner. I am definitely not on plan for the next couple of days. Tomorrow Owen will hike to the top of Mt. Beacon with me - that should burn a lot of calories. Then on Sunday are two more birthday celebrations. One with my sisters and in the evening with Vinnie. It's always like this because of all the different groups of friends and family. Except last year when I had a surprise party for my 50th. I'll post a picture of the view from the Walkway later.

I hope everyone enjoys the rest of the day!

Diane, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! 51 YEARS YOUNG!!:woohoo: You and Mike are pretty close in age. He turned 53 on 7/2.
:cool1::worship::banana::dance3::cheer2::yay:
Enjoy your celebrations!!

Jocelyn, good to see you back!! Sorry to hear about Bob's cousin's passing. It seems like funerals and weddings are the only times family seems to get together. It's so sad. Mike has a big family, so there is always a death (his cousin passed about a week ago and we have a funeral on Sat.) going on. Makes me a bit glad my family is small.
I did know hibiscus aren't cold hardy. I would be bringing them inside in the late fall before the first frost.

Diane, do they go to seed when the flower is done? If so, I would be able to get quite a few seeds off her plants. I hope so!! I plan on getting seeds from her moon flowers and big dalias also. I got some regular dalia seeds off a different plant she has. I put it in a zip lock baggie and labeled it.

Pam, I think I will do like you and just try to avoid all sugars and subs. I do love my s/f jello with whipped cream. I make homemade whipped cream out of heavy whipping cream, vanilla and a packet of splenda. I have some davinci s/f vanilla (actually 3 big bottles from sam's club) I am going to try in it. So far, I haven't had much splenda in 2 days. I've had maybe 3 packets in the last 2 days. I do have to have some kind of sweetener in my almond milk yet. But I am trying to either use davinci or splenda. Not both. I am slowly weaning myself off the subs.

Hi to everyone else!!

I hope I didn't miss anyone!! I am heading to bed directly. Had a long day today. Just got home about 1/2 hour ago, so it was a 12 hour day :(
Have a great night ladies!!

Lisa - so sorry to hear about your arm. Take care.:hug:

I had a great workout in the pool this AM. Now to figure out what to have for lunch and do some ironing - my least favorite project.

Hugs for ALL:grouphug:

Hi guys.
Lisa, take care of that arm!! Hope it is feeling better today.

Had a funeral yesterday we had to attend, so I tried to pick the better things to eat. Not easy as there wasn't much to work with :(
Then had a picnic last night to go to and filled up mostly on fruits. It was a balmy 103* yesterday and the humidity was really heavy. Tris was having some difficulties breathing with her asthma. When the sun went down, it cooled off down to about 85*. She did better then. There was a nice wind so that helped also.
Had bad news Friday. I went to work and the lady was there. Her husband called her about 10am and told her one of the gas wells they take care of (he owns gas companies and the maintaining crews) exploded. There were 2 men killed. Mike knew both of them. The one guy was responsible for getting him off the rigs and into the fabricating shop. Mike worked with him for about 3 years. He has known the other guy since he was a teenager. There was a 3rd guy there, but thank God he was unharmed. They were welding at the site. Not sure if that caused the explosion or what. It was pretty bad. I told Bill (the owner) how bad I felt. He had no prior accidents until now. He has owned the business for 12 years with no accidents. I just feel so bad for everyone involved. The one guy at the shop was talking to Mike and told him when Kevin came in (the one Mike worked with) he made the comment he just didn't feel right going there. But it was his job, so he did it. I know Bill will compensate the wives as he is very family oriented. Just please say a prayer for the families for me. Here is some pictures of it if you guys want to see/read about it. I just keep thinking of the guys and families. Just can't get my mind off it. :(
http://kdka.com/slideshows/Gas.Well.Explosion.20.1821459.html (photos)
http://www.wpxi.com/news/24376212/detail.html (write up and video)

On a happy note, Mike passed his CDL test yesterday. So, he can now drive a big rig (LOL) with explosives (hazmat) :eek: He did get his extension (oh crap, I need to file it this morning!! Almost forgot!!:scared1:), but there is a company just down the road about a mile and a half hiring. Levi just got hired there. It is a rock quarry opening up. They will be (if I have my facts straight) making big rocks into little rocks (LOL) to haul to the gas well sites for the Marcellus gas drilling that is going on. Just can't get away from the dang gas thing. Right now, that is the only thing really around. Mike said with his hazmat endorsement, and Class A license (big rigs) he should have no problem landing a job. There are many companies around here that are looking for that as most people will get class A license, but not the hazmat endorsement. He is going tomorrow to talk to the company and see what they have to say. It is an already established company that is "spreading their wings" so to speak.

Well, even with me off plan yesterday, I weighed myself and 2 weeks on MM I am down to 179. I started out at 187! I am thinking with the heat and humidity, I am sweating off most of the weight LOL. It is like a huge steam room here lately. It actually is clouding up right now and getting ready to storm. I need to get going as I am on house duty again for the people I clean for (the ones mentioned above). I need to let the dogs out of the garage and feed the cats.

Later everyone. I hope you all have a good day and a great rest of the weekend. I need to do some major house cleaning today.
Oh, my niece's due date is this week, and her doctor told her she is already 3cm dilated!! Looks like in the next couple weeks I'll be taking mom and dad down to TN!! I can't wait!!!

Oh Kathy, what a horrible accident! That is so sad for their families. I will keep them in my prayers. I'm sure they'll receive large settlements from the owner's insurance company, not that it will make them feel any better. I hope they have attorneys, so that they get everything they're entitled to receive. So very sad. I'm happy that Mike passed his test. That is such wonderful news. He must be excited to get a new career started.

I was at a party yesterday also. I must've sweat off a couple of pounds too! :rotfl: My one sister never even came outside. I had a good time in spite of the heat. I ate some chicken with salad, a little bit of eggplant and a piece of cake that my sister had brought there for my b-day - chocolate with raspberry filling, really...how could I say no? :rolleyes1

Lisa - Hope you're feeling better soon.

Hi everyone!! Not much going on here. Pretty much the same old thing LOL. Sometimes that is a good thing.
Just thought I'd stop in quick before getting ready for work.
Lisa, hope you're still on the mend!!
I'll check back later

Hi, everyone! I went to the chirpractor yesterday and am going again today. From research, I learned ultrasound would be the best thing for my shoulder and bicep. She has her own machine. I was better by last night so I'm looking forward to seeing her again today. I aggravated my shoulder throwing the tennis ball for the dog while gardening every day. That's what I get for thinking I'm fine when I have limitations. No fair. It was so bad I was wandering around the house sobbing on Friday night it hurt so bad. I couldn't find any possible way to be comfortable. I've had to take a lot of pain pills and sleeping pills just to rest.

Kathy: I'm so very sorry to hear of the awful accident. Mike must really be shaken.

I'll be back when I can type more. I was finally able to brush my teeth with my right hand yesterday. I had to pay someone to dry my hair. It's been crazy. I can't even dry my back after a shower. :confused3

Hi, everyone! I went to the chirpractor yesterday and am going again today. From research, I learned ultrasound would be the best thing for my shoulder and bicep. She has her own machine. I was better by last night so I'm looking forward to seeing her again today. I aggravated my shoulder throwing the tennis ball for the dog while gardening every day. That's what I get for thinking I'm fine when I have limitations. No fair. It was so bad I was wandering around the house sobbing on Friday night it hurt so bad. I couldn't find any possible way to be comfortable. I've had to take a lot of pain pills and sleeping pills just to rest.

Lisa, I had ultrasound done on my neck/back area and it helped sooo much. It took quite a few treatments before it began to "take". It was on the little bone right where your spine starts between the shoulder blades. That's the only way I know to describe it. They couldn't do it directly on the area, so they did it on each side. I still get a little pain there if I'm on my feet too long, but it's manageable now :)
I'm glad you're doing better. It is horrible to be in so much pain that you had to cry. Been there a few times myself. In fact, I did with my knee.

Well, got to throw some clothes in the wash.
Saturday is my high school reunion. 25 years!! This is the first one I've gone to, and I am a little excited. They are having it at the Eagles and it's right across town, so I won't have far to go.
I'm more excited about my trip to TN to visit my brother!! I got 2 nice suitcases at Goodwill for $6.99 each. They are the nice ones with the wheels on them. The one is really big and the other is the middle sized one. They were barely used!! I am going to air them out a bit before we use them. We will probably use the smaller one next weekend. Now I have luggage to visit my sister in CO next year for my niece's wedding too!! LOL
Later everyone!!! :yay:

Kathy - Wow, great bargains on the luggage! Enjoy your trips. Anyone going to your reunion that you're really interested to see?;)
I had ultrasound done on my neck by a physical therapist for a herniated disc after I got hit by a car a few years ago. I loved that thing - so relaxing to me.

Lisa - I hope you're feeling better today. :hug: That must've been an awful night.

I went on a hike with the ADK group again yesterday. It was really nice. We ate dinner near the lake afterwards. Luckily the weather was good, not humid as it has been lately.

No job news yet. I have a few that I'm hopeful about this week. Please keep your fingers crossed that one of them pans out.

Enjoy the rest of your day!

Lisa - so sorry to hear about your shoulder. It sounds awful.

Kathy - have fun at your re-union. We go to our respective re-unions in September and October - a much larger number than yours, though!!

Kathy - hope one of these jobs comes through. I just can't imagine how long this has gone on without a job!!

The physical therapist really gave me a workout on Monday. I hope all of this helps. I have been able to be in the pool everyday which is nice. It is quite warm here, but we love it.

I have also been playing more bridge - we are having a group in tonight to play bridge. They are bringing the food, so I don't have to do anything.

My weight seems to be on a downward trend!! YAY

Hugs to ALL:grouphug:

Hi everyone!! Warning, in a mood this evening. Actually, most of the day. :(

We found out this morning Mike's unemployment may have run out. He is only getting a week on this reporting period. With the extension, he will get 4 more weeks. That was first thing this morning.

Went to my doctor appointment. It is official. I believe without a doubt I'm met B. I was there 3 months ago (still on plan) and weighed 170#. I went today and weighed 190!! I haven't been on plan most of the week. My own fault for not planning ahead and just being in a mood. So, since I quit smoking, he is telling me to lose weight and get my BMI down. It is 30. They consider overweight BMI to be 27.
I went to the store and got some step 1 stuff to eat starting tomorrow. Right now I am eating watermelon. :eek:

I am looking forward to the reunion. There will be around 48 people there. That is INCLUDING spouses LOL. My graduating class had 101 people in it!!

Ok, off to bed. I am beat tonight. I'll catch up in the morning.

I'm feeling better today. What a pain that was! I think I might just be able to dry my own hair today. I'm going to try anyway, lol! It really reinforced to me that I have to stick to my supplement regime and stretch, stretch, stretch, especially when I am feeling great and get cocky. I get hurt much easier than the mainstream population and that's just the way it is. I'm looking forward to moving into rehab mode now. Need to get stronger. At least this time, I didn't fall, lol! I am a klutz and a half.

Jocelyn, have a great trip! Glad you were able to feel slimmer before you took off. I'm hoping to dedicate this coming month to being in better shape for shorts on the beach at the end of the summer.

Kathy: Good luck with your renewed dedication to the MM plan! I think a real key is to only focus on foods you can have and making them interesting instead of worrying about what you cannot have. There are a lot of possibilities contained within the arrow chart. Try to stay away from sweet choices. You know they just trigger you. I'd think about giving up the jelly if I were you for an experiment. Maybe for a month or so?? Happy menu making!

Diane: I'm sorry I missed your birthday! Happy Birthday and I'm so glad you got to have such a lovely walk over the bridge. Spectacular!

Is Pam in Mexico? I miss her but I'm glad she's off having a great time with her family.

Kathy: How's it going so far?

I dried my own hair and did some chores yesterday. So grateful to be able to do routine things like make the bed, lol! I'm really looking forward to the weekend.

Lisa - glad you are feeling better.

Kathy - hope your day is going better than the last couple of days.

Off to get my hair done and then play bridge this afternoon.

Hugs to ALL:grouphug:

Hi guys. Been soo busy with work lately. It's going ok I guess LOL. Now that the weekend is here, it's better.
I went to the health food store and stock up on some Sammy lavish wraps. They are the flax, millet and spinach. 5 n/c per wrap!! I bought 2 packages. I am going to have 1 with some turkey and ham for supper I think. Sounds good, but I haven't tried those ones yet.
Getting some cds downloaded with music for our reunion tomorrow night. We are just being our own DJ's LOL. Could be interesting to say the least.

Just checked Mike's unemployment, and he did get the extension. Thank God! He is good until the end of Aug.

Ok, off to try my sandwich now. I'll try to check back later.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter