Genie Plus - Experiences and Reviews

Yes, you have to enter the park before you can book Genie+.
If you are an on-site guest, do you still have to wait until you scan into the park to book G+? If we can’t book remotely on our arrival day (we wouldn’t get to a park until 2pm-ish) then I’m thinking there is no need to buy G+ for this day.
So did you end up getting for arrival day? Do the options fill up/sell out early in the day? I haven’t been to DLR since February 2020, so trying to wrap my head around G+.

So did you end up getting for arrival day? Do the options fill up/sell out early in the day? I haven’t been to DLR since February 2020, so trying to wrap my head around G+.
We haven’t purchased for arrival day yet. I’m still debating….. decisions, decisions

It’s possible I’m remembering FP+, as I’ve spent more time in WDW and less time with the old Maxpass system in DL. So a downgrade for FL parks then, if not CA.

We purchased Genie+ with our hoppers ahead of time and had to purchase for the entire party. Are you saying we did not have to do that? If so, I’d love a screenshot on where I could have changed that in the booking process because I definitely won’t buy 4 next time!
Can’t you just buy tickets in two separate transactions? I went with other people who don’t ride thrill rides so I bought my ticket in one transaction with G+ and after that transaction was done I just bought them plain passes in a completely separate transaction.

Can’t you just buy tickets in two separate transactions? I went with other people who don’t ride thrill rides so I bought my ticket in one transaction with G+ and after that transaction was done I just bought them plain passes in a completely separate transaction.
I’m not sure. We purchased a package as a family of four. We were in one room, so I’m not sure how I would have separated out purchases. Maybe the issue is buying in advance?

I’m not sure. We purchased a package as a family of four. We were in one room, so I’m not sure how I would have separated out purchases. Maybe the issue is buying in advance?
The issue is the package. You could book hotel separately and then buy different types of tickets for each guest. You’d lose any package perks obviously.

Similar to booking 4 fights at once and losing fare flexibility.

Yes

Most tip video's will tell you not to cancel but to modify, so you can still ride the ride with Genie plus
I've done it at WDW, but wasn't sure if the system worked the same way at DL. I keep seeing people say not to use their Genie+ pick right away in videos for DL, but I'd rather make my pick and get the clock rolling on my 2 hours ASAP, especially if I can modify my first pick out later.

I've done it at WDW, but wasn't sure if the system worked the same way at DL. I keep seeing people say not to use their Genie+ pick right away in videos for DL, but I'd rather make my pick and get the clock rolling on my 2 hours ASAP, especially if I can modify my first pick out later.
Assuming you don't want to "fish" for multi-experience passes (MEPs), you can book right away and then look to modify.

The don't use advice more means don't actually spend the LL by riding the attraction. Rather, still ride standby freeing you up to ride the same attraction later in the day using LL when the standby lines are longer.

Anyone have comments on which rides are the best bet to fish for MEP currently? We have a trip coming up and I'm doing G+ planning and am hoping to get a MEP at least a couple of times in the first hour (out of 5 days).

Anyone have comments on which rides are the best bet to fish for MEP currently? We have a trip coming up and I'm doing G+ planning and am hoping to get a MEP at least a couple of times in the first hour (out of 5 days).
Indiana Jones is the most likely to go down during the early window.

Before rope drop, ask a cast member or two about any rides that might not open with the park.

Last edited:
I know that you can't make LL selections until after you enter the park, but I keep reading contradicting info on whether I need to be scanned into the park to purchase Genie+ or whether I can purchase it that the same day prior to arriving at the park. Maybe the confusion is that you can purchase after midnight the day of at WDW, but you have to be scanned into the the park at DLR? Could someone please clarify?

I know that you can't make LL selections until after you enter the park, but I keep reading contradicting info on whether I need to be scanned into the park to purchase Genie+ or whether I can purchase it that the same day prior to arriving at the park. Maybe the confusion is that you can purchase after midnight the day of at WDW, but you have to be scanned into the the park at DLR? Could someone please clarify?
You can purchase Genie+ when you buy your park tickets or when you enter the park.
However, if you wait until you enter the park the price will more than likely be higher.

You can purchase Genie+ when you buy your park tickets or when you enter the park.
However, if you wait until you enter the park the price will more than likely be higher.
I was not able to purchase tix with Genie+ included from my ticket source. Is there a way to add it from DL prior to arriving?

I already bought the park tickets without Genie+ because I'll be there 5 days and knew I didn't want to spend the money for four people for all 5 days. After I posted this yesterday, I found that the after midnight thing (before you entered the park) was specific to WDW and that Disneyland was still after you enter the park to purchase it. Thanks!

Anyone have experience with Genie+ and parent swap on rides? My husband and I are taking our 1 year old in October and while we were already planning on using parent swap, we wondered if Genie+ would speed along our swap, or if it's even possible to do both.

Anyone have experience with Genie+ and parent swap on rides? My husband and I are taking our 1 year old in October and while we were already planning on using parent swap, we wondered if Genie+ would speed along our swap, or if it's even possible to do both.
Yes, genie+ will allow the first parent to wait in the LL line instead of the standby line. The second parent will wait in the LL line either way.

I'm still a little confused about modifying. Most people have talked about modifying their selection but to pull the time in earlier. So if they found a Space Mountain LL for later in the day, they keep refreshing Genie Plus to see if someone has cancelled an earlier time slot and they modify their later time slot to that earlier time slot. But what about first thing in the morning? Are people grabbing a LL as soon as they enter the park (starting the 2 hour time clock) but modifying their selection to make it later? For example, if I grabbed Space Mountain first thing, the LL return time might be 8:30am. But I don't want to waste my LL usage at this early hour. Would I keep modifying my selection to make it later? If so, can I modify the selection even after 8:30am as long as my time window doesn't close? Thanks!

I'm still a little confused about modifying. Most people have talked about modifying their selection but to pull the time in earlier. So if they found a Space Mountain LL for later in the day, they keep refreshing Genie Plus to see if someone has cancelled an earlier time slot and they modify their later time slot to that earlier time slot. But what about first thing in the morning? Are people grabbing a LL as soon as they enter the park (starting the 2 hour time clock) but modifying their selection to make it later? For example, if I grabbed Space Mountain first thing, the LL return time might be 8:30am. But I don't want to waste my LL usage at this early hour. Would I keep modifying my selection to make it later? If so, can I modify the selection even after 8:30am as long as my time window doesn't close? Thanks!
Yes, moving an LL window to later is frequently called (or at least the most important component of) stacking. You can modify until the LL expires/disappears.

From 8 - 9:30 or so, I’d focus on fishing for MEPs over modifying/stacking. At DL, book Indy as soon as you scan in. Watch at rope drop to see if it’s closed. If not, is there another attraction closed? If so, modify to it. If everything is open, keep Indy and then you can look to modify to later (toward the end of your window). At this point, you are still hoping Indy will go down. But, if you are fishing, chances are you will end up rebooking a different attraction anyway.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter