Genie Plus - Experiences and Reviews

Rich M

DIS Veteran
We took a trip to DL and DCA on Dec 7th and 8th. I was very excited to hear that Genie Plus would be debuting on Dec 8th. We decided that we would get to DCA early so that we could purchase it right away and also to get in line to get the candy cane. We walked from the Anaheim Majestic Garden Hotel at 6:45 knowing that they open the DTD security gates at 7 am. Once we got through security with a line of about 20 people we walked to the entrance of DCA and arrived there around 7:10 and went to one of the gates. We were first in line at that gate. They opened up the other security line at 7:15 so that when the crowds starting getting long. They opened our gate just before 7:30 and the cast member scanned is in while they did park opening with a family. I was able to then purchase Genie Plus while waiting for the gate to open. Once purchased I could have booked a Lighting Lane for 8 AM but didn't want to knowing everything would be walk ons. Its showed the Radiator Racers would be $7 and Webslinger would also be $7. I switched over to Disneyland and say Rise would be $20. So I figured that it would be $54 today to do everything with little wait. I believe for myself I am worth $54 and was willing to spend it for just myself. I think the more people you have the more you have to really think about that decision.

After securing our Genie+ we got in line for the Candy Cane and got number 8 on the list. We were told that they would send a text but we had to be back within 30 mins. We walked through the shops until they let people go over to other lands and decided we would do Soarin since it was close by. We were the first one in the theater so we got top row center. After the ride ended we got the text saying it was time to get our Candy Canes. We go two of them at $19.99 each. They are huge. We decided we would get a locker outside of both parks so we didn't break the candy canes so we walked out of the park and got the locker and came back in the park. We decided we would go to Pixar Pier since everything was walk on. We went on TSM and Incred Coaster. At TSM we saw a family of 4 use there Genie+ so we didn't think much of it. We decided we would pay the $7 at this point for Webslinger since it was a 65 mins wait and that is when we found out that Genie+ was down. It was first day and I figured something would happen anyway so we took advantage of the Photo Pass and took photo while waiting to see if it would come up. After it didn't come up we decided to get an early lunch at Flo's and wait around the area.

After eating it was still down and decided to do Mater for the Christmas overlay. Then saw the huge line at Guest Services and knew everyone was complaining so we get walking over to do rides not on LL so we could have those done. We went to see the 3D Mickey film and check out stores. After that Genie+ still was down and we had gone on everything we wanted to do so we decided we would go put purchases in locker and go to World of Disney to shop and grab a Jamba Juice. We saw the line at Guest Service wasn't terrible so we asked for an update on the way out and was told they were resetting the service and hoped it would be up by 1:30 and to try again. They said while we waited they gave us 2 paper FP good for 6 people.

Disneyland Experience next to come

We got into Disneyland around 1:45 and the parade was getting ready to come down the street and they were filming it for the network show on Christmas so tried to avoid it by going into stores. I tried Genie+ for Indian Jones and it worked finally. It was for 5 mins away so we walked that way. When we got there they told us they LL was down and we told them it was working and they were shocked it worked. We scanned in and it worked. While in line I tried again to see if it would work again and got a Smugglers Run for 5 mins away. You have 1 hour to get to it so we knew we would be good. After IJ we went to Smugglers Run and scanned in and tried for another one but this is where it went down again. We had Parade Viewing Dining Reservation at 3:30 so we figured we would just see what happens after that. While walking we got an alert on the app saying to come to City Hall for Genie+ resolutions so we decided to go check it out. We were told they would be refunding everyone with a Disney Gift Card but to keep trying the app as it might come up later.

We went to lunch and kept trying as we rested at ate slowly. Around 4:30 we were able to get Genie + to work again and grabbed Haunted Mansion Holiday. When we got over to HM the CM told us Lighting Lane was shut down for the evening. We told them that they said to keep trying and we scanned in and it went Green. They were shocked again and said please don't get upset if it doesn't work later and that they are refunding people at City Hall. We thanked them for the information. After this we had to pause trying to get any more because we had the parade at 5:30 and wanted to get a spot at the reserved area so we headed there to arrive by 5. While waiting though we noticed that Genie+ was getting better and looking nicer as time went on. When the parade started we grabbed a Guardian LL since I needed to grab a gift over at DCA. The app worked so quick and looked great.

After GG we grabbed a LL for Monster Inc just because its included but they use a portable device that would not make the LL pass go away so they said go to Guest Service or wait until the time expires which was an hour. We had other stuff to do so we waited and was going back to DL. Once the hour was up we got BTMM and SM. They only LL that seemed to be getting booked up at this point was Small World as everything else we got 5 mins or less to get on. So we used a paper FP for Small World. There was only 2 of us and the wait was over 60 mins so we found 3 people who were about to enter the queue and asked if they wanted to join us. After that it was time for SM. We were very tired and said we would do that and maybe ST but we wanted to be to the train station before Fireworks.

We got to SM and still had one Fast Pass left and knew we wouldn't use it so wanted to give some Disney Magic to someone else instead of them waiting for 50 mins for the ride. We saw a family of 4 so offered it to them. They were skeptical about it but followed us. After scanning in we got a ST LL but ended up not using it since it was only 15 mins until fireworks. We walked out to the front and watched the Fireworks as we walked to Earl of Sandwich to get one last sandwich before they are gone. Overall it was a very long tiring and sometimes frustrating day but turned out get the refund for the Genie+ and still go to use the LL. We didn't pay extra for any rides as they turned it off. Overall we did 8 LL rides and loved it. Next I will right an overview of the line experience and if its worth it for LL.

Overview up Next

Overall even with all the bad stuff we loved Genie+. Having access to get photos and getting in FP lines again was great. Here is my views on each ride we went on and if the LL was worth it:

Reminder you can only use LL for each attraction one time only. That is the biggest difference from MP to LL.

Indian Jones - I wish they had more of a LL once you get in side. Overall your not getting much of an advantage here and its the longest wait we had with LL once in line. Got LL and was able to use within 5 mins of getting it

Smugglers Run - Great use of LL for this ride. You bypass all the way to where you go in to see preshow. We also got pilots which was a major plus. I hate this ride as anything else.

Haunted Manion Holiday - Great Use of LL. Get to the merge where you just wait to get into the house.

Guardians - Great for LL. Right into the preshow area.

Monsters Inc - Right into the building.

BTMM - Seemed like more people where using the LL at this point but still on quickly.

Small World - Right to the line that goes down to the boats. Great use

Space Mountain - Always a great use for LL. Get inside building quick

Overall again I loved Max Pass and because of this Genie+ is not as shocking to us DL folks as DW. I will purchase it every trip as a MK holder unless some how I see a very low crowd or if I am with my GS who doesn't go on the rides that offer it. With getting the Photo Pass with it and skipping lines its worth it to me. Even if I save 10 mins. The one time only is a bummer but I honestly don't really go on rides more than once a day anymore. Now I am not sure if I will get Genie+ for more than one day of my trip though. I would probably just get it one day and do all the rides using it and then use another day to ride the rides that aren't included.

Thank for your time in reading. I would be happy to answer any questions.

Good overview. It sounds like it was rough early but got better. You are right about Indiana Jones- the merge point is way too early, so unless there is a huge line in the outdoor queue, it is not all that valuable.

My biggest takeaway from your posts was that I hadn't realized that Earl was going to go away (again) with the new changes for DTD! Why, Disney? They need to move them and give them a choice spot somewhere else - Earl is too good to lose!

Last edited:

Do you have any idea how long you waited after you got in the lightning lane for each ride?

I’ve heard some people complaining about the length of the wait on some attractions, especially Indy… something like a 30 minute LL wait when stand by was 50 minutes.

In the FP days Indy, Space Mtn, and Soarin’ could all have long FastPass waits at times, so I’m hoping that since it’s now a paid service, they manage the merge points to mitigate that.

Do you have any idea how long you waited after you got in the lightning lane for each ride?

I’ve heard some people complaining about the length of the wait on some attractions, especially Indy… something like a 30 minute LL wait when stand by was 50 minutes.

In the FP days Indy, Space Mtn, and Soarin’ could all have long FastPass waits at times, so I’m hoping that since it’s now a paid service, they manage the merge points to mitigate that.

I would say Indy is the most for sure. It was about 15 mins I believe maybe 20. They rest was less then 10 mins or less.

I'm going to get a trip report started in the next few days (while it might be useful for some) but I thought I'd report the basics here. I was there all day yesterday park-hopping, (by myself) and rode 22 attractions (including SM, IC, and Guardians twice), but could have easily fit in 7-10 more I feel. I didn't attempt Rise or Webslingers, since I've ridden them both a lot, and didn't feel like waiting in a long line. My brother was also there with his in-laws, and we just chilled on the benches and chatted for close to 2 hours while he held his sleeping baby. Also, there were some Genie+ options I never used for different reasons, I never went anywhere near Galaxy's Edge (I was there a lot recently) or Toontown, and didn't even try some rides that were pretty short (or long) waits. Genie+ worked perfectly (after I figured out how to buy it; my app was being weird), I felt, and was worth the $20 to me (even though once I chose not to redeem it, because the single rider line was non-existant, and the LL looked like a 6-10 min wait at least. And I didn't even rope drop - I didn't make it in from the airport until 8:30 local time, and only got 2 rides in in the first 90 minutes due to some slowdowns and issues in the ones I picked. I miss MaxPass, but this isn't the worst thing ever. It's kind exhausting to run all over the park trying to ride all the rides over and over like you could if you knew how to use MaxPass. With G+ you really have to think about "is this when I want to use this, or would later, when the line is longer, be better?" But also, not run out of day.
Crowds were busy, but not insane. I didn't witness any meltdowns, and just a touch of whining/crying. The weather was beautiful (since I like it cool)! I was awake for 21 hours (flew in early Friday morning, slept from 12:30-7, and flew back home this morning!) and got 31k steps. Slept at America's Best Value Inn. Suuuper basic, and a little iffy, but it was just me, and I literally just slept there. The guy at the window/desk held my bag behind the desk all day for me, and was kind. I'm glad I brought my own pillow and speaker for white noise though.
l0WonGh.jpg

(Admin, if this should just go in the ongoing thread, can you move it? I don't think I can delete it...)

Sounds like a successful day, and I'm glad to hear G+ isn't so bad. I'm just glad to have something back, though I do wish it was MP.

Your solo trips (I guess this one was solo + a visit) inspire me. One of these days I'm going to finally do one of my own. (I'm about a 7-8 hour drive away.)
I do it all the time! It’s great, I love it :)

Sounds like a successful day, and I'm glad to hear G+ isn't so bad. I'm just glad to have something back, though I do wish it was MP.

Your solo trips (I guess this one was solo + a visit) inspire me. One of these days I'm going to finally do one of my own. (I'm about a 7-8 hour drive away.)
MP was awesome, but I would also love to see if Genie+ could be a positive thing that doesn't impact standby lines SO much like I feel MP did. I was actually a big fan of standby-only the last several months and loved how much the lines kept moving. BUT if I was there with 3- and 5-year-olds (which I have been), I see how something like Genie+ could make the day so much more doable!
And the random thing about my brother being there was that he lives 2 hours from me, and this was his first visit to Disneyland in like 4 years, haha! (He's been busy, and a broke student, but his in-laws helped pay for this trip for all of them, which was super fun)

I'm going to get started on my trip report, and try to get it done quickly, before I go back to my Nov. trip report!

Sounds like a great day! Make me a bit more optomistic about Genie+. Also I love your outfit. Is that a Mint chocolate chip cone from Gibson Girls? That was always my go-to order :)

Solo trips are the best ! Sorry we didn't get a chance to meet up this time and I also was one of the few who got to purchase Genie+ on release day even though it didn't work majority of the day.
I also ended up purchasing it on Friday when I was mostly solo and got a lot done. I know I may be unpopular but I miss the Rise VQ , and rode it over 30 times across both coasts that way so not to the point where it breaks anything but also can't justify the 1.5 hr line especially with my PTSD and anxiety/ achilles tenditis issues.

I do hope they eventually offer an add on to Magic Key holders , even if it was limited to a certain number of uses per year or month.

Your only a true baller if you remember Fantasia ice cream
I don't remember it, but as one of 5 kids, we never got treats when we were at Disney! Way too expensive, when we could go back to the hotel and pick up a few gallons on our way! :P It's okay, I've made up for lost time in that department as an adult!

I don't remember it, but as one of 5 kids, we never got treats when we were at Disney! Way too expensive, when we could go back to the hotel and pick up a few gallons on our way! :P It's okay, I've made up for lost time in that department as an adult!
Same here. I never got to enjoy treats at DL till I worked there. It was a flavor of ice cream they had and it went away. It was cherry, pistachio, and banana swirled. Guess it comes back on occasion. Unfortunately I am never around for that

We went to Disneyland on Sunday and got to try the new genie +, I was not optimistic at all. But it turned out to be amazing. We got into the park a little before 9am at Disneyland and switched over to California Adventure at 1pm then back to Disneyland a little after 5 and walked out of the park at 8pm.

All in all we were able to do 14 rides and still have a sit-down lunch. We were always able to make a new LL immediately after we scanned into a ride and just did that over and over again. We did end up paying for Rise of the Resistance, Web Slingers and Racers. It was expensive on top of the price of a ticket but for a 1 day trip completely worth it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter