Genie + AP and Family who have regular tickets with Genie +

CG Disney Dad

Earning My Ears
Coming to visit for a trip in November. 5 family members in my party have a 5 day ticket with genie + I purchased on their tickets already. I’m organizing everything for my group in MDE
Hoping someone can help or has experience with this as I can’t get an answer from Disney.

1. Can you sign up for genie plus and ILL if your AP isn’t activated? @7am I have a resort reservation.

2 in Genie it looks like for the days of my visit there is no option to add Genie+ (because the rest of my party with regular tickets) have it already. Will there be an option to add mine since I have AP at 12am, and what will it looks like.

concerned and upset I bought the ap as it seems there may be some logistical issues when im on site and mixing with family members who have 5 day tickets. Any insight on this would be really appreciated.

Coming to visit for a trip in November. 5 family members in my party have a 5 day ticket with genie + I purchased on their tickets already. I’m organizing everything for my group in MDE
Hoping someone can help or has experience with this as I can’t get an answer from Disney.

1. Can you sign up for genie plus and ILL if your AP isn’t activated? @7am I have a resort reservation.

2 in Genie it looks like for the days of my visit there is no option to add Genie+ (because the rest of my party with regular tickets) have it already. Will there be an option to add mine since I have AP at 12am, and what will it looks like.

concerned and upset I bought the ap as it seems there may be some logistical issues when im on site and mixing with family members who have 5 day tickets. Any insight on this would be really appreciated.

I have the same situation and here’s what I can tell you about it.

With an AP you can only purchase Genie+ for the current day starting after midnight. An inconvenience, but something that should only take a minute or two each day.

I won’t know for absolutely sure until I do it, but I have reason to believe that once you purchase G+ for yourself, your whole group will be able to get LL reservations together, and the two types of tickets won’t affect anything as long as you all have park reservations.

I was told that it would work this way in a chat with a cast member, and I had an experience today that would seem to indicate she was correct.

One of our daughters is a cast member living in Orlando and she went to DHS today using her CM gate pass. She purchased Genie+ for herself mainly to see how it worked.

Because the park wasn’t sold out I made a DHS reservation for myself using my unactivated AP. Of course, sitting at home 1000 miles from Orlando I never entered the park and didn’t purchase Genie+. But, once I had the reservation I tried to buy her an IALL for MMRR. The screen popped up with me and her as the party, and all I had to do was remove myself and complete the purchase.

It was similar when she made a G+LL selection. I showed up as part of her party but the app correctly said that I was ineligible because I hadn’t purchased G+. Everyone else on the Family and Friends list showed as ineligible because of not having valid admission.

Hope this helps.

ETA: on the trip, I was able to purchase Genie + for the whole group each day in one transaction. The warnings about buying G+ for people with the same ticket types only seemed to apply to buying Genie+ in advance, something we never did.

Once we purchased Genie + we could make reservations for everyone in the group together, regardless of our ticket types.

Last edited:
Thanks so much. Great insight. I’m hoping you are right and it is that easy. Really wishing Disney would just let AP guest who have a hotel reservation book Genie + in advance for any days of length of the stay they would to avoid any more logistics while at WDW. Seems like AP even if you are on property have more work to do.

if anyone else has some additional experiences with this situation it would be appreciated if you can share how it worked for you. Did having this mix of and AP (not activated) and pre purchased tickets with Disney plus cause any issues or was it super easy??? Thanks again!

I have the same situation and here’s what I can tell you about it.

With an AP you can only purchase Genie+ for the current day starting after midnight. An inconvenience, but something that should only take a minute or two each day.

I won’t know for absolutely sure until I do it, but I have reason to believe that once you purchase G+ for yourself, your whole group will be able to get LL reservations together, and the two types of tickets won’t affect anything as long as you all have park reservations.

I was told that it would work this way in a chat with a cast member, and I had an experience today that would seem to indicate she was correct.

One of our daughters is a cast member living in Orlando and she went to DHS today using her CM gate pass. She purchased Genie+ for herself mainly to see how it worked.

Because the park wasn’t sold out I made a DHS reservation for myself using my unactivated AP. Of course, sitting at home 1000 miles from Orlando I never entered the park and didn’t purchase Genie+. But, once I had the reservation I tried to buy her an IALL for MMRR. The screen popped up with me and her as the party, and all I had to do was remove myself and complete the purchase.

It was similar when she made a G+LL selection. I showed up as part of her party but the app correctly said that I was ineligible because I hadn’t purchased G+. Everyone else on the Family and Friends list showed as ineligible because of not having valid admission.

Hope this helps.
This was a really useful experiment, thanks!

Hoping someone can help clear up this confusion. There is a message on Genie that says: "You can add Disney Genie+ service for Guests who have the same admission type as you. Otherwise, remaining party members will need to add it via their personal Disney account." My hubby and I are AP and our son has a 5-day park-hopper ticket. He does not have his own Disney account. Will I be able to purchase the day-of for him or do I now have to create a separate account for him? That message doesn't make sense.

Hoping someone can help clear up this confusion. There is a message on Genie that says: "You can add Disney Genie+ service for Guests who have the same admission type as you. Otherwise, remaining party members will need to add it via their personal Disney account." My hubby and I are AP and our son has a 5-day park-hopper ticket. He does not have his own Disney account. Will I be able to purchase the day-of for him or do I now have to create a separate account for him? That message doesn't make sense.

Thanks that would be great. What’s strange is for today it looks like if I were to visit the park today that purple get genie + option is there. When I change the day to Nov 11th the date we are going (also the dates all of the 5day passes with genie + have reservations) it now looks different. See photos.

As you can see it now switched from purchase to “access lens” and “audio tales”. If you click it won’t do anything as it is saying you have to wait for the day. Hoping you can provide some insight if there is a purchase option that comes back on that day when genie + is eligible for the AP ticket. Again thanks for everyone’s help, it really is great to have this insight!

Attachments

• 5517BD3A-5932-430E-B324-AAC712C767E2.png
    5517BD3A-5932-430E-B324-AAC712C767E2.png
    95.4 KB · Views: 12
  • 1F111D64-FF81-4FCD-938E-C23EB46AB237.png
    1F111D64-FF81-4FCD-938E-C23EB46AB237.png
    114.7 KB · Views: 12
Thanks that would be great. What’s strange is for today it looks like if I were to visit the park today that purple get genie + option is there. When I change the day to Nov 11th the date we are going (also the dates all of the 5day passes with genie + have reservations) it now looks different. See photos.

As you can see it now switched from purchase to “access lens” and “audio tales”. If you click it won’t do anything as it is saying you have to wait for the day. Hoping you can provide some insight if there is a purchase option that comes back on that day when genie + is eligible for the AP ticket. Again thanks for everyone’s help, it really is great to have this insight!
I’ve noticed similar and hoping someone can report on their experiences. Will be following

Just got back late last week and not going to lie it’s not that hard to navigate but def a bit of an inconvenience.
Easy to get LL each day for starters however Genie + could not be purchased until 7am each day for the ap. This was a separate transaction That had to be made before booking my whole party. I was able to navigate it but was that extra 30 seconds was causing us to miss the early times on some of the attractions that get snatched up first like jungle cruise, slinky dog etc…. Hope Disney can make this a bit more user friendly for ap holders and just let us pre buy genie + at least when we are staying on l property.

overall it was a great trip. So happy to be back at WDW!!!

Just got back late last week and not going to lie it’s not that hard to navigate but def a bit of an inconvenience.
Easy to get LL each day for starters however Genie + could not be purchased until 7am each day for the ap. This was a separate transaction That had to be made before booking my whole party. I was able to navigate it but was that extra 30 seconds was causing us to miss the early times on some of the attractions that get snatched up first like jungle cruise, slinky dog etc…. Hope Disney can make this a bit more user friendly for ap holders and just let us pre buy genie + at least when we are staying on l property.

overall it was a great trip. So happy to be back at WDW!!!
Thank you for reporting back! Am I understanding correctly that the ability to purchase Genie+ for the AP didn’t open until 7am rather than midnight as advertised? That definitely puts APs who are traveling with a regular genie+ ticket holder at a disadvantage if so. I had hoped that purchasing tickets with Genie+ included would make things more convenient, not less.

Thank you for reporting back! Am I understanding correctly that the ability to purchase Genie+ for the AP didn’t open until 7am rather than midnight as advertised? That definitely puts APs who are traveling with a regular genie+ ticket holder at a disadvantage if so. I had hoped that purchasing tickets with Genie+ included would make things more convenient, not less.
Agreed, that is not cool for AP holders to possibly miss SDD because they can't book until 7. That needs to be fixed.
And is it only if your regular tickets holders already have Genie + added for length of stay, or is it if you have any non AP holders in your group, even if they are buying day of also.
In Oct we bought before 7 every day, but we both had AP's.

Agreed, that is not cool for AP holders to possibly miss SDD because they can't book until 7. That needs to be fixed.
And is it only if your regular tickets holders already have Genie + added for length of stay, or is it if you have any non AP holders in your group, even if they are buying day of also.
In Oct we bought before 7 every day, but we both had AP's.
My husband and I (APs) went with our son (regular ticket) and we were able to purchase at 6:45 AM each day.

That’s great to hear and thanks for the info. As of last week when I was in WDW we were not able to. At that time one of the guest services cast members we’re saying that the ability to add at midnight was only for opening day for genie +. Expecting that Disney will keep tweaking it to make it better and more user friendly for us. Based on your post above that would be a big improvement in one week.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter