GC Incentive if Housekeeping Declined? Update July 14 - Testing Concluded

Status
Not open for further replies.
We don't really generate a lot of trash, mostly just receipts from the day. I tend to have my packages shipped back to the resort so have lots of bags from those, I stuff those all into each other but otherwise, we really don't put much in the trash cans. Maybe a water bottle here or there, we don't eat in our rooms very often and if we do, it's just snack food that's left over from the drive down.

That makes sense. Unfortunately, we generate a lot of trash in the form of dirty diapers. We really need some kind of trash service daily.

I really don't think that Disney is going to start charging for housekeeping. Other chains that offer "no housekeeping" incentives haven't jumped to charging for housekeeping. There seem to be enough folks declining housekeeping for them to achieve their desired cost savings.

I dump the garbage from our room daily in the bigger can in the hallway or breezeway. There's usually one of those within 50 feet of our room.

But you have the advantage that you are at CBR, laid out in smaller pods with quick access to a can. I can also tell you are a respectful person, so you would do what you need to get the trash to the can. I carry trash long distances any time just to get it to the right place.

The values are long walkways quite some distance from any cans. Even they decide to add them to the floors they will likely just be by elevators. Sadly folks just won't walk it down there. There will be piles outside the doors, I see it now with trays from the food court.

Hopefully if more people decline housekeeping, arrival day rooms will be ready earlier in the day. :)

I think the opposite. No one will leave any earlier than normal. Now instead of cleaning a room that has been kept up, they will now be cleaning a room that may have a HUGE stack of towels, food and trash all over the room, floors that need heavy vacumn or deep mopping ... the room will need a major cleaning. Early check in with room ready will become a thing of the past.

I have to agree. That would definitely push me over the edge I'm already standing on about WDW.

Yes. If they remove housekeeping then I might as well stay in much nicer lodging offsite either with housekeeping or in a 2 bedroom condo for half the price of a value.

Like PPs if I am paying to stay, I am on vacation. I am not making beds, emptying trash, taking care of the wet towels over the course of my trip ... I am paying inflated prices as it is the least my room could include is decent housekeeping. It's one reason we won't rent a house no matter the savings. I live in a house, going to stay in another house is no treat for me.

Also what will happen to all the dirty towels. We shower in the am and we shower after a day in the park. We go through 4-8 towels a day. Is there going to be massive bins at the elevators for me to haul all our towels to each day? Or will these also be piled outside the room where most guests won't get them in to a bag?

I think this is moving to quite tacky. Disney may look at it in numbers but what they have to consider is guest behavior .............

SPG has been doing it for a while.

Almost every major hotel chain I stay at offers this now. I travel 3-4 nights/week for work and every chain I stay at (company policy differs in certain cities but mostly Hilton and Starwood brands) offers an incentive to decline housekeeping. I have a ridiculous amount of HHonors points since I travel often and don't need housekeeping when I'm traveling for work. The amount varies between brands but one Hilton brand hotel I stay at frequently offers 3000 points/night to forego housekeeping. I usually have a bag hanging on my door the 3rd day with extra towels and soap and shampoo and such.

No...that's not true. I recently stayed at a Drury Inn that was offering bonus points on their reward card if you didn't get housekeeping. I don't think it's unique to Disney at all.

Well, color me re-educated! I guess I haven't had many hotel stays recently. I'd take incentives all day.

I personally like having housekeeping. But if I buy into DVC, I'll have to adjust.
We've owned DVC for years. It works JUST FINE! But ... there are convenient places for guests to throw out their garbage. The DVC resorts were designed on that concept. The regular resorts offering this will need to make garbage cans more available if they expect guests to clean their own rooms.

But you have the advantage that you are at CBR, laid out in smaller pods with quick access to a can. I can also tell you are a respectful person, so you would do what you need to get the trash to the can. I carry trash long distances any time just to get it to the right place.

The values are long walkways quite some distance from any cans. Even they decide to add them to the floors they will likely just be by elevators. Sadly folks just won't walk it down there. There will be piles outside the doors, I see it now with trays from the food court.

I think the opposite. No one will leave any earlier than normal. Now instead of cleaning a room that has been kept up, they will now be cleaning a room that may have a HUGE stack of towels, food and trash all over the room, floors that need heavy vacumn or deep mopping ... the room will need a major cleaning. Early check in with room ready will become a thing of the past.

Yes. If they remove housekeeping then I might as well stay in much nicer lodging offsite either with housekeeping or in a 2 bedroom condo for half the price of a value.

Like PPs if I am paying to stay, I am on vacation. I am not making beds, emptying trash, taking care of the wet towels over the course of my trip ... I am paying inflated prices as it is the least my room could include is decent housekeeping. It's one reason we won't rent a house no matter the savings. I live in a house, going to stay in another house is no treat for me.

Also what will happen to all the dirty towels. We shower in the am and we shower after a day in the park. We go through 4-8 towels a day. Is there going to be massive bins at the elevators for me to haul all our towels to each day? Or will these also be piled outside the room where most guests won't get them in to a bag?

I think this is moving to quite tacky. Disney may look at it in numbers but what they have to consider is guest behavior .............

I agree with the trash issue. I don't see how it's going to make anyone's life easier, and it has the potential to make life a lot more unpleasant.

But the other stuff:

I'm like you in towel use but a lot of my relatives reuse towels.

Some folks aren't messy in hotel rooms and even if they are, housekeepers aren't doing a thorough clean every day. Not always possible to vacuum with a bunch of stuff on the floor. They're mostly taking trash, replacing towels, making beds. Partly because they know that when they turn over a room, they have to do everything, and that process goes a lot quicker without people's stuff in the way. So if they aren't providing daily maid service to, I don't know, a quarter of the occupied rooms, they probably will be cleaning checkouts faster.

Although I really don't think that's going to result in significantly more early check in like PP suggested. They first have to wait for guests to Check out, after all.

what do those of you who decline housekeeping do with your trash all week?
We do not generate much trash. Like a pp it's pretty much just receipts but even those I don't throw away until I'm home. I stick them all in a Ziploc baggie just in case I end up needing/wanting to return something. I also throw our dining receipts in there as I like to be able to tabulate how much value we got out of the "free" dining plan. We don't eat in our room and use the dining plan mugs for our drinks. Now that I think about it more, I think the only thing we really throw in the trash is empty sunscreen cans. lol

The Swan & Dolphin do this. You can opt for a $5 resort credit, but can only decline housekeeping for maybe two days in a row. If the values are doing it, I would be surprised if it were $20 per night...seems like a lot.

There are reports from people in Disney saying it is $20 per day.

I read an article I think by Chip and Co mentioning this. In the article it said $40 but it was unclear if it was per day or length of stay. I wish they'd offer this at the other resorts I never have mousekeeping it would be great to get some money for that lol

Chip is wrong about a lot of stuff. LOL

Several other sources are saying $20 a day right now and there are people who checked into Disney who are confirming.

This offer is only for stays of three nights or less. You cannot use it for longer stays.

Reports from guests who have checked in are saying otherwise with a giftcard in hand. Can you tell me where you see 3 nights or less? did you check in and they told you that?

I feel like WDW is about the only place that this type of cutback would work, lol. Where people are looking for any way possible to get an extra Mickey Bar. I don't think you would ever see a hotel anywhere else be able to get away with kind of thing ... or even attempt it!

But good on you Disney if this is true ... cause I never let anyone in my room. Besides, they want to come by so early! :coffee:

Absolutely not true. There are many, many hotels, mostly overseas, that do this. I believe it started in Denmark and is becoming a trend. The goal is to save on water and electricity for all the washing and drying.

Absolutely not true. There are many, many hotels, mostly overseas, that do this. I believe it started in Denmark and is becoming a trend. The goal is to save on water and electricity for all the washing and drying.
I already owned up to my omission of understanding, please stop whipping me, UNCLE UNCLE UNCLEEEEEEE

I already owned up to my omission of understanding, please stop whipping me, UNCLE UNCLE UNCLEEEEEEE

There is no need to be so defensive. It was just a question. ;) I saw your post and asked. I do not read everything and then go back and try to find the post I want to ask questions about. Most people do not have that kind of time. :)

There is no need to be so defensive. It was just a question. ;) I saw your post and asked. I do not read everything and then go back and try to find the post I want to ask questions about. Most people do not have that kind of time. :)

@bladiator, if you want to stop people from "whipping" you, go back and edit your post to acknowledge you misunderstood. Otherwise, @KyleAfterAWhile is right. People rarely read ahead.

Chip is wrong about a lot of stuff. LOL

Several other sources are saying $20 a day right now and there are people who checked into Disney who are confirming.
I'm booked in 2 rooms at POP for 5 days in August. I would pocket $200 to skip housekeeping in a heartbeat. Like I said, we do it for DVC without a problem.

We would take the gift card absolutely. I prefer not to have people in our room on vacation. I pack provisions including trash bags and toilet paper. We usually stay in DVC rooms so sheets/towels can be washed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter