Gay Days 2019 Date Change

Discussion in 'Gay and Lesbian at Disney' started by a4matte, Apr 25, 2018.

1. a4matte

a4matte Mouseketeer

Gay Days Orlando is changing dates next year. It's been the first weekend of June forever. It'll be August 13-19th.

If I remember right it was something about the usual host hotel (Double Tree) rented out their location to another event during the typical Gay Days Orlando event. Interesting to note that competitors like One Magical Weekend have decided to NOT change their scheduled dates.

This also throws the Gay Days crowd in with the early nights of Not So Scary. It's already hot in June - now it'll be mid-August temperatures. This is going to be a mess.

2. FarCityGuy

FarCityGuy Get ready, Orlando! We're coming back again!

While I am not a big fan of moving the date to mid-August, there are a lot of good people involved with Gay Days, Inc. and I wish them the best. Although I am not able to take vacation days in mid-August, perhaps there are others who have not been able to take time off right after the Memorial Day holiday weekend. So, there may be two completely different crowds next year, one during the first week of June and another one in mid-August. As the gay week has expanded over the years, there are so many events all over the Orlando area that it has become a challenge to "pick and choose" which ones to attend. The Orlando bars/clubs, attractions and theme parks may benefit from being able to cater to one group during the first week in June and another group in mid-August.

3. OKW Lover

OKW Lover Retired and living 2 miles from The Castle. DIS Lifetime Sponsor

The host hotel must have gotten a good price from the other event. They've been the host hotel for quite a few years now. I wonder if there's something else going on.

Puer Aeternus likes this.
  4. Luxurious_Lumiere

Luxurious_Lumiere Earning My Ears

Im not sure I want to do mid-August humidity with a chance of hurricane. The Gay Days pool parties are a nice option to have at night, but for me it's all about gay days at the parks. I always stay on Disney property so Ill still want to go whenever the red shirt days are held. The gay days hotel has no sway over my decision on what week to go. I wonder if One Magical Weekend will create a red shirt day-esque schedule or if that will all move to August now.