Gas stations and people asking for money

I've had the gas station one where they don't have to money to buy gas. I would reach in my pocket and flash my badge. They'd always take off running and once and a while give me the finger while they ran.

Once in Dallas I was approached while leaving an upper crust steak house with the "I haven't eaten in ....." I offered my doggie bag with a large piece of steak in it only to have it thrown on the ground in front of me.

I was waiting for an order in a fast-food restaurant, and had my teenaged granddaughter with me. A young man approached and asked for "money for gas, to get home". I politely refused, and he moved away to approach somebody else. I was explaining the situation to my granddaughter, when a woman approached and said "I HOPE you didn't give him any money!". I told her that I hadn't, and was just telling my granddaughter that he didn't really need gas (she was about to go off to college, and I was using every life tip I could find). I had actually told him that I spent my last dollar for dinner, the lady had a fist full of money and said "he could see I had money, but I just told him no". It made an impression on my teenager.

I know old thread but I tell others the truth sometimes I just have enough to cover my own needs 1. 90 percent it is true 2 it is a same for beer some time not paying for their habit sorry

Well it makes me feel better at least I'm not the only one this happens too :rotfl2: This is sooooooo annoying and seems to happen like literally every other time I go get gas these days. (just people asking for money).

I agree they are all scam artists, I seriously doubt if ANY of them are for real. Some of the stories I've read on here are down right scary.

I've had several ways of dealing with them, usually just a flat out no, or flat out ignore, like they aren't even there, they usually go away. I want to try a new one out I thought of where I just say "why" to everything they say and see what they do? "Can I have money for gas, I ran out and blah blah" Me: "Why"? Them: "Well my mom is sick and I'm trying to get to her out of state." Me: "Why?" Them: "Well she's really sick and I need to be with her" Me: "Why?" Them: "Look can I just get like 2 dollars? That would help." Me: "Why"? I think I may try this.:cool1:

Either that or I may just say why in spanish or german, see how that goes over.

A great solution. While we have panhandlers, I have not heard of this type of activity, here in Canada.

My DH called and was a bit bothered by an incident that just happened. He stopped at Costco to fill up his tank and he was approached by some random guy while he was filling up. The guy came up to him and wanted him to pay for his gas. I asked him if he meant swipe his membership card, which I kinda get 'cause this particular Costco gas is about 20 cents lower per gallon that the regular gas stations in the area right now. He said no, the guy expected him to swipe his membership card and his debit card and let this stranger fill up his tank. :confused3

Keep in mind my DH is a big guy, he was driving a truck that's far from new and was in his scruffy work clothes. People generally don't approach him, they approach me to talk to him. :rotfl2: The other guy was in a brand new SUV and dressed to the nines according to DH. He said the other guy started to get real upset and belligerent about the whole thing until the attendant popped up, then he jumped in his SUV and hauled hiney out there.

I've had plenty of people try to beg cash from me, sell me tire cleaner, sell me religion etc. at gas stations over the years but I've never encountered someone who expects me to fill their tank....

Well, the guy was entitled. Right?:thumbsup2

I wonder how true 90% of these stories are. I have given food probably thirty times and every single person seemed grateful, they may have thrown it away when I left but definitely not in front of me. I've given people half eaten food told them its all I had and they gladly accepted. I rarely if ever give to people standing in the high traffic areas though, nor do I give to people who approach me aggressively. I grew up poor like one pack of bologna and a box of cereal was our food for the week sometimes. My dad who is not all that religious always told us god will judge you by what you do for others, and he will judge them by what they do with your charity.

How do you all have the patience to hear the entire story?? :confused3

If someone comes up to me at a gas station or store or parking lot or wherever, the second I hear "excuse me, can you help..." I immediately say beat it or get lost or I'm not interested. :furious:

I'm being a bit tongue-in-cheek here, but in all honesty I am so fed up with all the **** and bull you get from panhandlers anymore that I make it clear that they need to back off and get lost.

Truthfully?? If they came up to me and asked for $5 for beer, I'd probably give it to them for being honest.

I could sure use a beer ::yes:: PM me for my address, Thanks much!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter