Gas stations and people asking for money

Ephany

DIS Veteran
My DH called and was a bit bothered by an incident that just happened. He stopped at Costco to fill up his tank and he was approached by some random guy while he was filling up. The guy came up to him and wanted him to pay for his gas. I asked him if he meant swipe his membership card, which I kinda get 'cause this particular Costco gas is about 20 cents lower per gallon that the regular gas stations in the area right now. He said no, the guy expected him to swipe his membership card and his debit card and let this stranger fill up his tank. :confused3

Keep in mind my DH is a big guy, he was driving a truck that's far from new and was in his scruffy work clothes. People generally don't approach him, they approach me to talk to him. :rotfl2: The other guy was in a brand new SUV and dressed to the nines according to DH. He said the other guy started to get real upset and belligerent about the whole thing until the attendant popped up, then he jumped in his SUV and hauled hiney out there.

I've had plenty of people try to beg cash from me, sell me tire cleaner, sell me religion etc. at gas stations over the years but I've never encountered someone who expects me to fill their tank....

Wow. I could accept somebody coming up and asking for $5.00 for gas, but not swipping my credit card.

Yes it bothers me too. Why do people feel that they need a hand out for everything in life?

disney1990 said:
Wow. I could accept somebody coming up and asking for $5.00 for gas, but not swipping my credit card.

No kidding! I'd do this in some cases. But no way am I paying for someone else's tank of gas!!

i had a lady ask me for gas money at fashion island, Newport beach while holding bags of clothes... i was like :\ really?

Albort said:
i had a lady ask me for gas money at fashion island, Newport beach while holding bags of clothes... i was like :\ really?

Omgosh! Too funny! That was my haunt in the 80's. she probably shoplifted it all!

That's crazy, I'd be telling them to kick rocks!!! Though I'd be using some stronger verbiage !

My DH called and was a bit bothered by an incident that just happened. He stopped at Costco to fill up his tank and he was approached by some random guy while he was filling up. The guy came up to him and wanted him to pay for his gas. I asked him if he meant swipe his membership card, which I kinda get 'cause this particular Costco gas is about 20 cents lower per gallon that the regular gas stations in the area right now. He said no, the guy expected him to swipe his membership card and his debit card and let this stranger fill up his tank. :confused3

Keep in mind my DH is a big guy, he was driving a truck that's far from new and was in his scruffy work clothes. People generally don't approach him, they approach me to talk to him. :rotfl2: The other guy was in a brand new SUV and dressed to the nines according to DH. He said the other guy started to get real upset and belligerent about the whole thing until the attendant popped up, then he jumped in his SUV and hauled hiney out there.

I've had plenty of people try to beg cash from me, sell me tire cleaner, sell me religion etc. at gas stations over the years but I've never encountered someone who expects me to fill their tank....

I have people beg for gas money when we lived in DFW. However to ask for a FULL TANK ON MY DEBIT CARD?! :scared:

Let's just say I would have told the gentleman to step off.

It is so hard to decide if you are truly helping someone, or just playing into a scam. I had a young girl come up to me asking for money for gas. She said she had to get home to the coast and had a real sad story about a family member being ill, and she was all alone. I didn't want to be funding anyone's drug habit, so I told her about a community outreach organization that was down the road that could help her. We watched as she ran across the street, hopped into a car with three other guys and drove off (the opposite way from the outreach).

I think the poster who provided the link on skimmers is probably correct.

We had the same thing happen to us this summer while we were there on vacation! Wonder if it was the same lady. :rotfl2:

I had a guy ask me for money for gas one day when it was pouring rain. He said he just needed enough to get to a town 30 minutes away. I didn't have any cash, but if I did, I would have given him $5. I wouldn't have swiped my card for him though. Later, I thought I could have gone inside and had them swipe my card for $5 for him. I felt bad, because he was young and in a beat up car.

I had a lady approach me as I was getting in my car at a big box parking lot and asked for a ride to an area not far, as her car battery had died and she needed to get home. I told her I was in a hurry (not) and to inquire within the store for help. She left, I got in my car and drove to a different spot, parked and watched her go get in a car and drive off. :confused3

Things like that are SO scary. What would have happened had I let her in my car and drove off?? :eek: Would love to help honest, needy people, but I don't dare :sad2:

There is a scary thing going round -
A guy ties a string with a can to your rear bumper in a parking lot, then goes a few cars away and watches. When you come out, get in your car to drive away, you hear this noise. You think you hit something, get out to check, then when you are in the back of your car, he jumps in and takes off - of course with your car, purse, and keys. Yikes!! Be very vigilant, our lives may be dependent on it :eek:
They then have your address, house keys, etc. :scared1:

In the last few years, I've had many people ask for money in parking lots of gas stations and restaurants. They usually are in a car, talk about some emergency, ask for money but they will send it back to you (if you are stupid enough to give them your address) and will leave you their cell phone/coat/driver's license so you can be SURE you'll get your money back.

I had a guy ask me for money for gas one day when it was pouring rain. He said he just needed enough to get to a town 30 minutes away. I didn't have any cash, but if I did, I would have given him $5. I wouldn't have swiped my card for him though. Later, I thought I could have gone inside and had them swipe my card for $5 for him. I felt bad, because he was young and in a beat up car.

Don't be fooled. That same type thing has happened in our area. They purposely look pitiful and have old cars, etc. They know the way to a *mother's* heart :sad2:

WDWBarb, yes, right, and now they have your name and where you live - so sad we can't really try to help others these days because of all the scammers out there.

North of Mouse said:
Don't be fooled. That same type thing has happened in our area. They purposely look pitiful and have old cars, etc. They know the way to a *mother's* heart :sad2:

WDWBarb, yes, right, and now they have your name and where you live - so sad we can't really try to help others these days because of all the scammers out there.

You really can't be too careful. I was backing out if my parking spot at work a few weeks ago and suddenly this guy was knocking on the window of my car. Scared me to death - I was looking back over my shoulder (backing up and all). A lady I work with was with me and he motioned for me to roll down my window and he was holding a large nail in his hand, obviously trying to show it to me. I cracked my window slightly to see what he wanted and he gestured with the nail and said he thankfully saw this just before I backed over it. I said a quick, "uh, thanks" and started to roll my window back up when he asked if I could return the favor with $20 for food. I was starting to pull away but the lady I was with insisted she give him money. After I pulled away I told her I couldn't believe she wanted to give that scammer money and she was shocked that I thought he was a scammer. :(. He was never behind my car - I would have seen him in the backup camera or when I turned to look over my shoulder.

Those of you with young drivers in your home, teach them how to handle these situations. It's better to be safe than sorry.

I had two women walk up to me. One middle-age and another much younger who said they needed some gas to get to another town about 10 miles away. Said I didn't have any extra $$. They go to another lady and she tells them no. They go back to in front of the store and get into a car driven by a man and they leave. :confused3

In the last few years, I've had many people ask for money in parking lots of gas stations and restaurants. They usually are in a car, talk about some emergency, ask for money but they will send it back to you (if you are stupid enough to give them your address) and will leave you their cell phone/coat/driver's license so you can be SURE you'll get your money back.

I've had those happen too. Claim they need bus fare or something similar because someone broke a leg and they had to get back home or get the injured person back home.... One early morning, had TWO guys approach, one to me and the other to my manager (we were both in our cars). Fortunately they left.

One person one early AM approached different boss' car and was belligerent, even while she was calling the cops because the guy was banging on her window.

Scary.

I some one approach me for money on the bus clamping they have not ate I prefer to give food that way I know they are not buying drugs with money I can use to buy my self food

tinkerbellandeeyor said:
I some one approach me for money on the bus clamping they have not ate I prefer to give food that way I know they are not buying drugs with money I can use to buy my self food

I am mean now because this is what I prefer. I was outside on my stoop when I lived in Baltimore and a lady walking by asked for money. I told her I would grab her some food from inside if she would wait a few minutes. Gave her the last half of our loaf of bread, a brand new jar of peanut butter some cans of diet Pepsi some crackers and some fruit snacks. She waited, took the bag. Said thank you, then walked to the end of our block and put it into the trash can on our corner. It kinda burned me. Now I will only donate to charities.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter