Gas stations and people asking for money

Nevermind....I thought someone was saying that purses being stolen while women pumped gas was an urban legend.

Why do people always have the response that "It could happen" when it never has?

In this case stranger things have happened (and to me), so what I posted about the *car snatching* would not be something so outlandish for an unscrupulous person to do - because it would be so like me to respond in that manner to a noise and thinking I hit something, and of course leaving my door open, motor running, purse inside. I'd really be surprised if it hasn't happened somewhere actually. Was this refuted on *snopes*? Is that where you saw it wasn't true? I haven't looked there yet.

Mom_Rides, I actually do lock my door when pumping gas - did it when my kids were in it too. My dh thought at first I was going a little far, until I explained why - purse being in the car, etc. Then he understood and agreed.

Saturday night, DBF and I went to the movies. As we were getting out of the vehicle a guy, who looked to be in his early 20's approached us. He was parked next to us. He started on a long story about how he was not from this area and how he needed to buy gas to get to Kent, where he lived. There was also a woman in the pick-up truck he was in. We were in a hurry to get to the movie so I gave him $5. The more I thought about it, it was probably a scam but, on the off chance he needed gas money, I'm glad I gave it to him.

TC :cool1:

I used to struggle with the desire to help people but not wanting to get scammed either, so I came up with a good solution... I offer to give the person what they ask for but don't give them any cash. If they ask for gas, I'll offer to pre-pay for some gas with cash, but I'll give it to the cashier with instructions that they keep any unused portion. Telling the person that you'll give them what they ask for, but you'll control the purchase seperates the needy from the scammers real fast!

A couple of months ago we were eating at a fast food place and a guy came to our table with the standard "I'm from out of town and we're trying to get back home" story. I said "No problem, I can follow you down to street and I'll pay for your gas." Well he didn't like that response and tried to add details to his story to explain why this wouldn't work such as "I'm travelling with a woman and it's her car and she dropped me off here and won't be back for a bit." When it was clear I wasn't about to hand him cash, he walked over to the next family and started up with them. And I had a clear idea of whether this guy really needed gas, or was a scammer.

Saturday night, DBF and I went to the movies. As we were getting out of the vehicle a guy, who looked to be in his early 20's approached us. He was parked next to us. He started on a long story about how he was not from this area and how he needed to buy gas to get to Kent, where he lived. There was also a woman in the pick-up truck he was in. We were in a hurry to get to the movie so I gave him $5. The more I thought about it, it was probably a scam but, on the off chance he needed gas money, I'm glad I gave it to him.

When people give the sob story that they *need* gas to get to *wherever* why are they usually *not* at a gas station, but at a parking lot where they may find more people to give them money?? Do they actually run out of gas (or get low) then think, "oh, I need to go to a parking lot instead of a gas station" when what they want (need, supposedly) is *gas*. I, myself, find that hard to swallow, so *will not* give. :confused:

About 5 years ago, I was approached in a Home Depot parking lot by a woman in her late 50's early 60's. She asked me if I could give her a few dollars to get gas. She said her wallet wasn't in her bag and that she thought her young granddaughter had taken it out earlier in the day when she was playing with her bag. I was skeptical, but I gave her a $5 bill. It was all I had at the time.

I was probably scammed that day, but I feel that the $5 dollar loss was ok, at the possibility of helping someone. Also, no shame on me for wanting to help someone in need. Shame on them if they set out to scam me.

I know this thread was intended to be serious, but it reminds me of a time that I made a total IDIOT of myself.

When my husband and I were moving from Washington to California, we were taking separate cars. I was ahead in my Civic, hubby was behind me driving the U-Haul. As we entered into Oregon, I called him to say that I needed to stop and get gas. I was about 5 minutes ahead of him, so he said to pull over, get gas, and he'd meet up with me in a while because he needed to take a break anyway.

Well, it was late and we were in the middle of nowhere, so there was only one small gas station on a dark road, but I really needed gas. I pulled up to the pump and a man approached me in a hoodie. I was scared as he approached me and locked my car doors in front of him. He came up and started knocking on my window, motioning for me to roll it down. I was shaking my head at him to leave me alone and I picked up my cell and called my DH and was telling him that some guy was harassing me. While on the phone I started my car and drove away, leaving the guy in the hoodie at the pump who was still trying to talk to me before I sped off. Well, I REALLY needed gas so what I did was pull off further down the road, had my DH meet me, then we decided to go back to the gas station together in hopes that DH could protect me if the guy was still around.

I pull up to the pump once again and the same guy in the hoodie approaches my car. This time clearly the man saw my out-of-state plate and says to my husband (clearly now aware that I was insane), "In Oregon the law says you can't pump your own gas". LOLOLOL! The guy that was "harassing" me was the gas station attendant! SOOOO embarrassed. He was just doing his job! I didn't know that you couldn't pump you own gas in Oregon!

LOL I was in NJ in December and forgot you couldn't pump your own gas -- I grew up there but haven't been back in a long time. We pulled up for gas and I got out of the passenger side to use the restroom when a scruffy looking guy (also in a hoodie) started approaching me. It took me a few seconds to realize he worked there and wasn't going to ask for a hand out.

I lived in Daytona Beach, FL for fifteen years and there was a very large homeless population -- being asked for money by them was very common. People with signs asking for money for one reason or another was also the norm. My boss stopped one day for a guy with a "need money for food" one and offered to take him to a grocery store and buy him food (CRAZY) but the guy turned him down because he said he'd lose too much money if he left the intersection. :confused3

About 5 years ago, I was approached in a Home Depot parking lot by a woman in her late 50's early 60's. She asked me if I could give her a few dollars to get gas. She said her wallet wasn't in her bag and that she thought her young granddaughter had taken it out earlier in the day when she was playing with her bag. I was skeptical, but I gave her a $5 bill. It was all I had at the time.

I was probably scammed that day, but I feel that the $5 dollar loss was ok, at the possibility of helping someone. Also, no shame on me for wanting to help someone in need. Shame on them if they set out to scam me.

:thumbsup2 That's the way I look at it too!

I been approached by people asking for money in rest stops on I95. They always are giving some sob story like they are sick with Crohns and needs a good meal, or they are lost and ran out of gas. I always say NO and make it clear I want nothing to do with the begger. Sorry to sound so negative about the human race, but 99.999% of the time it's a scam to get your money for nothing, and they are most certainly playing you for a total fool with a snicker behind your back. And I won't give a penny since I am not naive enough to think I found one of the .001% who really need help. If people seriously need help, there are other avenues then approaching random people in parking lots begging for money. :mad:

I don't care if I sound cold-hearted, because I am about this kind of stuff. It is always a scam.

HugsForEeyore said:
I been approached by people asking for money in rest stops on I95. They always are giving some sob story like they are sick with Crohns and needs a good meal, or they are lost and ran out of gas. I always say NO and make it clear I want nothing to do with the begger. Sorry so sound so negative about the human race, but 99.999% of the time it's a scam to get your money for nothing, and they are most certainly playing you for a total fool with a snicker behind your back. And I won't give a penny since I am not naive enough to think I found one of the .001% who really need help. If people seriously need help, there are other avenues then approaching random people in parking lots begging for money. :mad:

I don't care if I sound cold-hearted, because I am about this kind of stuff. It is always a scam.

Totally agree. Living in NYC has made me very wary of every beggar. They are all scams.

I been approached by people asking for money in rest stops on I95. They always are giving some sob story like they are sick with Crohns and needs a good meal, or they are lost and ran out of gas. I always say NO and make it clear I want nothing to do with the begger. Sorry to sound so negative about the human race, but 99.999% of the time it's a scam to get your money for nothing, and they are most certainly playing you for a total fool with a snicker behind your back. And I won't give a penny since I am not naive enough to think I found one of the .001% who really need help. If people seriously need help, there are other avenues then approaching random people in parking lots begging for money. :mad:

Coming from someone that has Crohn's, them using that as a possible scam excuse really ticks me off. :headache: Why? Because people with Crohn's tend to be so careful about travelling in the first place and where we are going to eat, since we really cant eat the fast food along highway rest stops that we would be overly prepared to have the $ and means to get to a decent eating establishment.
I mean, I can't necessarily say that someone maybe did have the disease and need some cash to eat but it just really angers me that someone would use that as an excuse to scam someone.:sad2:

Since I live in a small enough town and am aware of where the social service/community outreach organizations are, I always direct them there. I was told by a homeless organization that it is dangerous to give money. It will either be used to buy alcohol or drugs, or make them a target to be beat up because they have cash. I just contribute to the organizations who help, since they are more in tune to knowing who is fueling a habit, and who is truly in need.

What goes on in Oregon, stays in Oregon. Let's just leave it at that. :)

My coworkers in Idaho always make fun of my home state saying: "Oregon is the only state in the nation that prohibits pumping your own gas for health reasons, but legalized doctor-assisted suicide." :confused3

I had a lady approach me as I was getting in my car at a big box parking lot and asked for a ride to an area not far, as her car battery had died and she needed to get home. I told her I was in a hurry (not) and to inquire within the store for help. She left, I got in my car and drove to a different spot, parked and watched her go get in a car and drive off. :confused3

Things like that are SO scary. What would have happened had I let her in my car and drove off?? :eek: Would love to help honest, needy people, but I don't dare :sad2:

Something similar happened to me. As I was leaving work one evening, a young woman approached me. She said she needed a ride somewhere (I can't remember where) and that her car had broken down. I came up with some excuse as to why I couldn't and left. I felt bad about it because she may have really needed help but I just had no way of actually knowing.

I've had people ask me for gas money, at which point I've offered to take them and pay for their gas. Turns out, they wanted the money for something else-imagine that!? Just tell me you need money and don't lie to me; I'm likely to fork over $5 to a non liar.

There is a scary thing going round -
A guy ties a string with a can to your rear bumper in a parking lot, then goes a few cars away and watches. When you come out, get in your car to drive away, you hear this noise. You think you hit something, get out to check, then when you are in the back of your car, he jumps in and takes off - of course with your car, purse, and keys. Yikes!! Be very vigilant, our lives may be dependent on it :eek:
They then have your address, house keys, etc. :scared1:

While this may be an urban legend, I did hear of one lady being rear ended at a stop light in a bad area in Memphis. When she got out of her vehicle, a man in the next lane told her to get back in her car and do it quickly. The passenger from the truck behind hers had gotten out and had a pistol. She got back in her car and started driving and called 911. The truck followed her until they heard the sirens. I really didn't believe the story even though it was a lady that I know but not well and she gave me the exact streets involved. I asked an officer, and he said he did not know about this one instance, but they had a few reports of car jackings occuring that way.

We had the same thing happen to us this summer while we were there on vacation! Wonder if it was the same lady. :rotfl2:

This is so funny. :lmao:
Years ago around here there used to be people (homeless looking) selling flowers at the red lights close to the freeway. One Saturday we were out thrift store shopping & noticed one woman selling these by the freeway close to our house. Well, hours later we decided to go to a new thrift store about 30 miles away. You can imagine our surprise when we left that store to get on the freeway to go home, there was that exact same woman selling flowers at that intersection!!!

The first time this happened to me was a number of years ago at a drug store early in the morning. The guy was in a fairly new truck and he said he needed $2 for gas and couldn't get ahold of his wife. I felt bad and gave him a couple of bucks.
About a month or so later, same store, same guy in the same truck with the same story. I just ignored him and went about my business. I was going to make a smart a$ remark but I didn't know what kind of whacko he was.

Just a few weeks back I had one in a grocery store parking lot. A guy and his wife needed money to get home. Yeah right. Could've been true but I don't give anymore. Sorry.

Back when I was a kid, there would always be a couple of guys in a van driving around parking lots trying to sell speakers. Anyone remember them?

Yep, I remember the "speaker" scam from the 80's. A couple of guys in a "delivery van" would come up to you in a parking lot and claim they had a set of "expensive" stereo speakers that they couldn't find the address to deliver them to... and they'd get fired if they returned without "delivering" them. They'd offer to sell them to you at a "great price". Of course the speaker cases were faked and the speakers themselves were worth about $10.

Another popular one is the guy that comes up to you outside a subway station, often with a cheap looking employee name badge w/ company logo, and says that this is supposed to be his first day on the job but he left his wallet at home and needs subway fare to get to work... or he'll be fired from his new job. I fell for that in DC, and then a local alerted us to the scam as we walked into the station.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter