Gas stations and people asking for money

Lemonademouth said:
I am mean now because this is what I prefer. I was outside on my stoop when I lived in Baltimore and a lady walking by asked for money. I told her I would grab her some food from inside if she would wait a few minutes. Gave her the last half of our loaf of bread, a brand new jar of peanut butter some cans of diet Pepsi some crackers and some fruit snacks. She waited, took the bag. Said thank you, then walked to the end of our block and put it into the trash can on our corner. It kinda burned me. Now I will only donate to charities.

Wow I guess the stared response is no unless you know the person

The last time I gave money to anyone was when a relatively well-dressed lady came up to me in a parking lot, apologized and said she had forgotten her purse and didn't think she had enough gas in her car to get home. She asked for $2. She looked really embarrassed. Dumb me, I gave her $2 and went into the store. When I came out about a half hour later, I saw her getting into a car driven by a man. Just out of curiosity, I followed them out of the parking lot and watched them pull into a liquor store about a block away. I wonder how many $2 donations she had gotten in that one parking lot. Now, I just shake my head and get into the car.

There is a lady who stands on the corner here with a sign that says, "baby on the way." I've seen this same woman all over town with the same sign for over two years now. :(

Jaya said:
The last time I gave money to anyone was when a relatively well-dressed lady came up to me in a parking lot, apologized and said she had forgotten her purse and didn't think she had enough gas in her car to get home. She asked for $2. She looked really embarrassed. Dumb me, I gave her $2 and went into the store. When I came out about a half hour later, I saw her getting into a car driven by a man. Just out of curiosity, I followed them out of the parking lot and watched them pull into a liquor store about a block away. I wonder how many $2 donations she had gotten in that one parking lot. Now, I just shake my head and get into the car.

All I can say is that it happens I forgot my wallet just last week so iit does happen luckless I was able to get around that day with out it but not everyone is that lucky still thanking my lucky stars a week later

There is a lady who stands on the corner here with a sign that says, "baby on the way." I've seen this same woman all over town with the same sign for over two years now. :(

:scared1: :lmao:

There is a guy who stands on the corner around here with a sign that says, "I'm not going to lie, I just need beer money." One day we saw him drinking a Guinness. My husband said he is going to try hanging out on that corner!

These types of incidents (which I've encountered countless) are the reason I take DW & DD's cars and gas them myself.

LisaR said:
:scared1: :lmao:

There is a guy who stands on the corner around here with a sign that says, "I'm not going to lie, I just need beer money." One day we saw him drinking a Guinness. My husband said he is going to try hanging out on that corner!

Yeah some one that is honest no I would not give him money though even though I va,us honesty

I quit giving money (as in handouts) years ago. Why? A friend and I were meeting at a restaurant. Just before I got there, I drove through an intersection where a couple of guys were panhandling. They were a bit pushy.

I met my friend inside the restaurant and after we were seated, she asked if the guys had approached me. About that time, the same panhandlers walked in, went up to the bar and started ordering EXPENSIVE drinks. No food, just booze.:sad2:

I had a lady approach me as I was getting in my car at a big box parking lot and asked for a ride to an area not far, as her car battery had died and she needed to get home. I told her I was in a hurry (not) and to inquire within the store for help. She left, I got in my car and drove to a different spot, parked and watched her go get in a car and drive off. :confused3

Things like that are SO scary. What would have happened had I let her in my car and drove off?? :eek: Would love to help honest, needy people, but I don't dare :sad2:

There is a scary thing going round -
A guy ties a string with a can to your rear bumper in a parking lot, then goes a few cars away and watches. When you come out, get in your car to drive away, you hear this noise. You think you hit something, get out to check, then when you are in the back of your car, he jumps in and takes off - of course with your car, purse, and keys. Yikes!! Be very vigilant, our lives may be dependent on it :eek:
They then have your address, house keys, etc. :scared1:

That's only going around on the internet. It's an urban legend.

My most :sad2: experience was when I was on my way to a meeting on a college campus. As I entered the building a young girl stopped me an asked if I could spare some money SO SHE COULD BUY DRUGS!! My jaw dropped and I just stared at her until she walked away....

Ladies be sure to lock your doors as you are gassing up your vehicle as well. There have been many purse snatchings at gas stations in my area. Ladies get out, leave their purses sit on the seat and while they are filling their car, their purse is snatched. I always take my keys and lock my doors, even if I'm just standing right there!

I know this thread was intended to be serious, but it reminds me of a time that I made a total IDIOT of myself.

When my husband and I were moving from Washington to California, we were taking separate cars. I was ahead in my Civic, hubby was behind me driving the U-Haul. As we entered into Oregon, I called him to say that I needed to stop and get gas. I was about 5 minutes ahead of him, so he said to pull over, get gas, and he'd meet up with me in a while because he needed to take a break anyway.

Well, it was late and we were in the middle of nowhere, so there was only one small gas station on a dark road, but I really needed gas. I pulled up to the pump and a man approached me in a hoodie. I was scared as he approached me and locked my car doors in front of him. He came up and started knocking on my window, motioning for me to roll it down. I was shaking my head at him to leave me alone and I picked up my cell and called my DH and was telling him that some guy was harassing me. While on the phone I started my car and drove away, leaving the guy in the hoodie at the pump who was still trying to talk to me before I sped off. Well, I REALLY needed gas so what I did was pull off further down the road, had my DH meet me, then we decided to go back to the gas station together in hopes that DH could protect me if the guy was still around.

I pull up to the pump once again and the same guy in the hoodie approaches my car. This time clearly the man saw my out-of-state plate and says to my husband (clearly now aware that I was insane), "In Oregon the law says you can't pump your own gas". LOLOLOL! The guy that was "harassing" me was the gas station attendant! SOOOO embarrassed. He was just doing his job! I didn't know that you couldn't pump you own gas in Oregon!

That is just flat out crazy, I have been asked for money to help pay for gas but not the whole tank. My mom and I were walking in the Walmart parking lot and some random guy walked up behind us and asked if we good give him $$ for gas. It scared us to death more than anything, but I seriously watch my back in pArking lots now since then. There are some flat out crazy people out there.

But back in 1998 I was with my mom's friend and we saw a lady and her daughter in the parking lot of a shopping center with a sign stating they needed only $250 more for a down payment on a house, we actually helped them out. No clue if we got scammed there, but my grandfather had just passed away and guess we both felt generous. I was only 17, but felt bad for the lady.

sonnyjane said:
I know this thread was intended to be serious, but it reminds me of a time that I made a total IDIOT of myself.

When my husband and I were moving from Washington to California, we were taking separate cars. I was ahead in my Civic, hubby was behind me driving the U-Haul. As we entered into Oregon, I called him to say that I needed to stop and get gas. I was about 5 minutes ahead of him, so he said to pull over, get gas, and he'd meet up with me in a while because he needed to take a break anyway.

Well, it was late and we were in the middle of nowhere, so there was only one small gas station on a dark road, but I really needed gas. I pulled up to the pump and a man approached me in a hoodie. I was scared as he approached me and locked my car doors. He came up and started pounding on my window. I was shaking my head at him to leave me alone and I picked up my cell and called my DH and was telling him that some guy was harassing me. While on the phone I started my car and drove away, leaving the guy in the hoodie at the pump who was still trying to talk to me before I sped off. Well, I REALLY needed gas so what I did was pull off further down the road, had my DH meet me, then we decided to go back to the gas station together in hopes that DH could protect me if the guy was still around.

I pull up to the pump once again and the same guy in the hoodie approaches my car. This time clearly the man saw my out-of-state plate and says to my husband (clearly now aware that I was insane), "In Oregon the law says you can't pump your own gas". LOLOLOL! The guy that was "harassing" me was the gas station attendant! SOOOO embarrassed. He was just doing his job! I didn't know that you couldn't pump you own gas in Oregon!

I would like to know why you can't pump your own gas

That's only going around on the internet. It's an urban legend.

Well, not saying it isn't - but, I could very well see myself, or a number of other women falling for that sort of thing. If it does ever happen to me, I will be prepared! ;)

Never have tried to pump gas in a state that didn't allow it! It's definitely allowed all down south. If it's such a hazard as they say, there seems to be few accidents that I've heard of by pumping your own gas. It's usually caused by stupidity - just can't fix stupid!
(someone actually lighting a cig while pumping, static electricity from filling container while in trunk, etc.)

Well, not saying it isn't - but, I could very well see myself, or a number of other women falling for that sort of thing. If it does ever happen to me, I will be prepared! ;)

Why do people always have the response that "It could happen" when it never has?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter