GAC - one time use?

I hope I am just reading it wrong, but it sort of sounds like you are ok with other people needing to plan out, have more difficult hours, ruin their day being dragged around for passes, but since your kid is special you should get out of that.
That's not how I read it at all.
As someone with a disability, I don't think a healthy person can understand how much effort goes into doing what other people take for granted.
It's the healthy people who are special and get to get out of all the hassle.

That's not how I read it at all.
As someone with a disability, I don't think a healthy person can understand how much effort goes into doing what other people take for granted.
It's the healthy people who are special and get to get out of all the hassle.

I would say that every one of us has our own needs and Disney is simply doing their best to meet those needs on an individualized basis. Guest Services will hand out GACs to the people who they think will benefit most from them. There 's nothing at all wrong with that.

I agree with you that sometimes it is a little much to say just always be early enough to get the best seat, then go even earlier next time if it doesn't work. (on a bad luck day, that could mean waiting 2-3 hours if it doesn't work out the first time)

I also want to ask you to step back a minute for a little perspective here. Everybody's live is completely rearranged for their children whether or not they have any disability. There are no exceptions there. I have three kids with unusual needs and even though I roll my eyes occasionally, even parents of a single child who is a perfect straight A, never whined or did a thing wrong child have a lot of adjusting to do and rightly feel like it's really difficult.
Your second paragraph, about dragging your kid around for fastpasses or ruining their day by making them hit rope drop- what would you do if your kid didn't need a GAC? I hope I am just reading it wrong, but it sort of sounds like you are ok with other people needing to plan out, have more difficult hours, ruin their day being dragged around for passes, but since your kid is special you should get out of that. That, from what I can tell, is what makes people feel like GAC's are abused.

I am not saying you abuse them. I don't know you or your situation so I trust that you don't, but saying that you should just get to fumble about and be where and when you want while others have to do extra work isn't fair and isn't really the intent of something like a GAC. It's not for preferential treatment, it is to level things out. There is give and take, the GAC isn't there to give you a benefit others can't get, it's to supplement your plan when there isn't a way to avoid a problem.

Obviously you took that paragraph and focused on it. If you read the whole post, I discuss that the GAC is to level things out. We get up early to get to the parks, but I am not going to push rope drop if it will cause additional problems for my son. I am also not going to tour the parks commando style by running back and forth to get fastpasses as soon as a window opens. Crisscrossing the park is very difficult on my son. I did mention that we use fastpasses when we are able to do so.

We use easywdw to plan our park days. We try to plan for slower times of the year. This doesn't always work out due to school schedules. We never "just get to fumble about" the park. As I said above, we use fastpasses when it is reasonable to do so.

Many here on the disabilities board seem to have an attitude that is "use the GAC but only if there is no other possible way for you to tour the park". Seriously? That is like saying someone in a wheelchair should only use the wheelchair access for a sidewalk if they are unable to jump the curb with the chair. Yeah, it is possible for some, but extremely difficult.

Thank you for condescending to educate me about what it is like to raise a "normal" child. Our son with the disabilities is not our only child; so, we are well aware of the difference. The level of adjustment in life goes way beyond that of typical child when you have a child with a disability.

Like I said in the last line of my post, there is more judgment (for using a GAC) on the disabilities forum than anywhere else. I am not advocating that people "abuse" the GAC. I am just saying that we shouldn't make people feel guilty for needing to use the GAC.

If Disney did not offer the GAC, we would not be able to go to WDW.

Many of the "only use the GAC when you absolutely have to" or "you don't need a GAC for just a few attractions" posts come off as if people are saying a person isn't disabled enough to use a GAC. We are supposed to be here to help each other, not judge each other.

Obviously you took that paragraph and focused on it. If you read the whole post, I discuss that the GAC is to level things out. We get up early to get to the parks, but I am not going to push rope drop if it will cause additional problems for my son. I am also not going to tour the parks commando style by running back and forth to get fastpasses as soon as a window opens. Crisscrossing the park is very difficult on my son. I did mention that we use fastpasses when we are able to do so.

We use easywdw to plan our park days. We try to plan for slower times of the year. This doesn't always work out due to school schedules. We never "just get to fumble about" the park. As I said above, we use fastpasses when it is reasonable to do so.

Many here on the disabilities board seem to have an attitude that is "use the GAC but only if there is no other possible way for you to tour the park". Seriously? That is like saying someone in a wheelchair should only use the wheelchair access for a sidewalk if they are unable to jump the curb with the chair. Yeah, it is possible for some, but extremely difficult.

Thank you for condescending to educate me about what it is like to raise a "normal" child. Our son with the disabilities is not our only child; so, we are well aware of the difference. The level of adjustment in life goes way beyond that of typical child when you have a child with a disability.

Like I said in the last line of my post, there is more judgment (for using a GAC) on the disabilities forum than anywhere else. I am not advocating that people "abuse" the GAC. I am just saying that we shouldn't make people feel guilty for needing to use the GAC.

Many of the "only use the GAC when you absolutely have to" or "you don't need a GAC for just a few attractions" posts come off as if people are saying a person isn't disabled enough to use a GAC. We are supposed to be here to help each other, not judge each other.

I absolutely agree with you Robin!! It seems like every time someone newer comes to this board and asks do I need a GAC, most everyone says 'oh no, you don't need a GAC for that!' Most of the Time. :sad2: I'm not saying that there aren't other suggestions that one can make. But truly None of us can determine who is qualified to receive one, only GS can do that! And why do people feel justified posting telling someone they should not take their trip??? I just don't get that??!! People come here looking for positive advice and help and often this board seems so negative...always saying that the gac is going to increase their wait time. I still don't get this. If it is increasing everyone's wait time so Horribly, why are they concerned about abuse?? After an abuser sees how much longer they wait, they are going to ditch the card and go back to a more 'normal' style of touring. So I don't get that whole thought process! :confused3

Robin,
I say you do what you gotta do to go and enjoy Disney! Don't worry about what the others on here think about you using a GAC for your child! If you need to use it all day long for your family to enjoy Disney, so be it! That is what it is there for. I guess what I'm saying is unfortunately we have to develope some thick skin as members of this board because there are judgemental people here as well as everywhere...it's a sad sad situation. Take care! :hug:

I absolutely agree with you Robin!! It seems like every time someone newer comes to this board and asks do I need a GAC, most everyone says 'oh no, you don't need a GAC for that!' Most of the Time. :sad2: I'm not saying that there aren't other suggestions that one can make. But truly None of us can determine who is qualified to receive one, only GS can do that! And why do people feel justified posting telling someone they should not take their trip??? I just don't get that??!! People come here looking for positive advice and help and often this board seems so negative...always saying that the gac is going to increase their wait time. I still don't get this. If it is increasing everyone's wait time so Horribly, why are they concerned about abuse?? After an abuser sees how much longer they wait, they are going to ditch the card and go back to a more 'normal' style of touring. So I don't get that whole thought process! :confused3

Robin,
I say you do what you gotta do to go and enjoy Disney! Don't worry about what the others on here think about you using a GAC for your child! If you need to use it all day long for your family to enjoy Disney, so be it! That is what it is there for. I guess what I'm saying is unfortunately we have to develope some thick skin as members of this board because there are judgemental people here as well as everywhere...it's a sad sad situation. Take care! :hug:

Well i I00% agree with this! I also wonder all the time why people are so worried about the abuse if nearly every post is started with it won't cut you wait time in fact it will make it longer????
Let people find out for themselves if this is meant to be the case!

I agree with you that sometimes it is a little much to say just always be early enough to get the best seat, then go even earlier next time if it doesn't work. (on a bad luck day, that could mean waiting 2-3 hours if it doesn't work out the first time)

I also want to ask you to step back a minute for a little perspective here. Everybody's live is completely rearranged for their children whether or not they have any disability. There are no exceptions there. I have three kids with unusual needs and even though I roll my eyes occasionally, even parents of a single child who is a perfect straight A, never whined or did a thing wrong child have a lot of adjusting to do and rightly feel like it's really difficult.
Your second paragraph, about dragging your kid around for fastpasses or ruining their day by making them hit rope drop- what would you do if your kid didn't need a GAC? I hope I am just reading it wrong, but it sort of sounds like you are ok with other people needing to plan out, have more difficult hours, ruin their day being dragged around for passes, but since your kid is special you should get out of that. That, from what I can tell, is what makes people feel like GAC's are abused.

I am not saying you abuse them. I don't know you or your situation so I trust that you don't, but saying that you should just get to fumble about and be where and when you want while others have to do extra work isn't fair and isn't really the intent of something like a GAC. It's not for preferential treatment, it is to level things out. There is give and take, the GAC isn't there to give you a benefit others can't get, it's to supplement your plan when there isn't a way to avoid a problem.

I did not read the post this way either!!
I think the OP was saying that she won't make things more difficult for her child by dragging him to rope drop or running all over getting FP I mean why should she?
Disney have said that her child is entitled to the accommodation why should shouldn't she make use of it?!

I would not be able to get my son our to rope drop either we have tried on many occasion it just stresses him out too much! We also will use FP if we are able to an it won't cause any added meltdowns but more often then not it does, I have 3 boys twins with no additional needs and my oldest who does have,
I have also required a GAC after having major surgeries to my head, could I have planned out my day yes would it have caused added problems absolutely, as not every plan you make goes smoothly which is why we can try and plan all we like only quarter of the time will we be able to make good on that plan.
And this is where having a GAC comes in.

My opinion on GACs has softened since I started reading on DIS.

I never used one for my Asperger's son, but it would have made vacations more pleasant if I had. He is grown now and will not use one on his own. He has learned to deal with his discomfort in lines and in close contact with lots of people. He is stubborn just as I used to be. We both need to learn to accept help when it's available.

I do think GACs are sometimes abused by people who don't need them. That makes me angry. However, all my reading here has changed my opinion in that I think people who need to use them should do so. However, people need to realize that sinus issues, mosquito bites, male pattern baldness, sunburn, etc. don't make you disabled and don't qualify you for a GAC.

Back to the OP -

I know we are not allowed to mention specific stamps here. But, what I am thinking is there must be one for vision impaired people that could help you.

I'm not suggesting that you falsify information, just that maybe guest services could choose to use a stamp like that to keep you from having to explain the problem at attractions. I don't know this for sure, it's just a suggestion.

I would try explaining your situation and see what they suggest for you.

but saying that you should just get to fumble about and be where and when you want while others have to do extra work isn't fair.

As the parent of a son with Autism, I can assure you that we never get to "fumble about." Never. Not anytime in life or WDW.

We must be on high alert 24/7, thinking ahead about every situation and how it is going to impact our child. Catastrophe is around every corner with these kids. Every moment is planned, discussed, explained, and executed with extreme caution.

As a mom who has spent 23 years unable to relax, always looking ten feet ahead ... predicting and re-predicting all potential upcoming scenarios in my head, I can tell you that I am envious of those who can "fumble about" with their children.

I also have four typical children (all grown now) so I know all to well the difference. As a mom, I was on semi-alert, as all moms are, with my others. However, the level of stress with a spectrum child is something you can never understand unless you've experienced it.

FortForever said:
As the parent of a son with Autism, I can assure you that we never get to "fumble about." Never. Not anytime in life or WDW.

We must be on high alert 24/7, thinking ahead about every situation and how it is going to impact our child. Catastrophe is around every corner with these kids. Every moment is planned, discussed, explained, and executed with extreme caution.

As a mom who has spent 23 years unable to relax, always looking ten feet ahead ... predicting and re-predicting all potential upcoming scenarios in my head, I can tell you that I am envious of those who can "fumble about" with their children.

I also have four typical children (all grown now) so I know all to well the difference. As a mom, I was on semi-alert, as all moms are, with my others. However, the level of stress with a spectrum child is something you can never understand unless you've experienced it.

You said it perfectly! Thank you from another spectrum mom.

momofkids said:

I'm sorry if you thought I was being condescending. I didnt mean it that way. Sometimes we all need perspective and I meant to help. I was agreeing with you, BTW about the "not disabled enough" conversations, and even opened with saying so.

I don't know about this. My whole life has been rearranged around my son's needs. Often we are unable to plan to make our own accommodations because that would interfere with other accommodations we have made. Does everything in life always have to be harder just because we have a child with a disability? Without a GAC we would probably only see 1/3 of the parks that the average, dis person sees. That doesn't seem like overuse to me. I think that if you need a GAC, Disney wants you to use it. Honestly, it isn't that much of an accommodation to begin with. We still have to give up lots of characters and it doesn't shorten waits at restaurants or anything. Why should people feel guilty about using a GAC? It isn't like they planned to be disabled or have a child with a disability.

People with disabilities work much harder than other people just to tour the park with a GAC. I am not dragging my son back and forth across the park to collect fastpasses or ruining his whole day just to make rope drop. We too use fastpasses when it is reasonable for us to do so, but the point of the GAC is to level the playing field for people with invisible disabilities. We give up a lot of things, and my son has had to adjust to the cruel way the world is the rest of the time. It is nice that Disney offers a way for us to enjoy our vacations like most other vacationers.

Seriously, I feel more guilt and judgment on the disabilities board than I do anywhere else on the board.

so very well said! i too have a handicap daughter 17 spina bifida, and in a wheelchair. It is so much harder for our special kids in the park. we have always waited in line for rides buses, dinner whatever just like everyone else until last year. my daughter has begun to get anxiety attacks while waitng in some lines due to the fact she sits down in the crowds and people and their kids are leaning on her chair, banging in to her and not to mention the kids basically staring right at her constantly. we will use our GAC when needed. Yes there are people who misuse it, just like people misuse the handicp parking. People somtimes just dont understand. Please everyone be understanding of our kids and their disabilities. :) they love the parks just as everyone else does.

so very well said! i too have a handicap daughter 17 spina bifida, and in a wheelchair. It is so much harder for our special kids in the park. we have always waited in line for rides buses, dinner whatever just like everyone else until last year. my daughter has begun to get anxiety attacks while waitng in some lines due to the fact she sits down in the crowds and people and their kids are leaning on her chair, banging in to her and not to mention the kids basically staring right at her constantly. we will use our GAC when needed. Yes there are people who misuse it, just like people misuse the handicp parking. People somtimes just dont understand. Please everyone be understanding of our kids and their disabilities. :) they love the parks just as everyone else does.

I HATE how both adults and kids think that they can just lean on your chair. I had a woman yell at me last year when I politely said to her daughter, "Please don't lean on my chair." I wasn't rude at all to her, but the mother flipped out on me. I calmly explained to the mother that a chair or other mobility device is an extension of a person's body and as such should not be touched without permission. I'm sure that people wouldn't lean on a stranger's shoulder the way that some think they can lean on a chair. This all happened when we were leaving Fantasmic. We just stay put until the crowd thins some. This kid was practically draping herself over the back of my chair.

I definitely understand where some of your daughter's anxiety comes from. As for kids staring, I usually make eye contact and smile. The child will either smile back or look away because they were caught staring. If they still stare, I might say VERY politely, "Would you like to ask me a question?" Most kids stop at that point. Sometimes someone does ask a question, usually something like, "Why do you need a chair?" Or "Why are your legs like that?" My brief explanation is that the bones in my legs weren't formed like most people's which makes it difficult to walk. At this point most parents are mortified. Most days I don't mind questions. Kids are curious. Some days though the staring does bug me.

my daughter has begun to get anxiety attacks while waitng in some lines due to the fact she sits down in the crowds and people and their kids are leaning on her chair, banging in to her and not to mention the kids basically staring right at her constantly.

When she still fit my daughter would stay in the stroller to get away from people and because she can't walk for too long. We found that people bumped into her less (and stopped trying to walk right over the stroller! :confused3) when we put a rain cover over her. Obviously that can't be a constant thing, but even getting a netting sort of hides you out a bit if that's possible. Maybe you can get a similar effect with some sort of sun shade, it puts something up at eye level for other people and might make it seem like she has more of a defined space. Now that my daughter isn't in the stroller though she still gets upset because at Disney people will lean right on her or walk into her while she is just standing there.

I HATE how both adults and kids think that they can just lean on your chair. I had a woman yell at me last year when I politely said to her daughter, "Please don't lean on my chair." I wasn't rude at all to her, but the mother flipped out on me. I calmly explained to the mother that a chair or other mobility device is an extension of a person's body and as such should not be touched without permission. I'm sure that people wouldn't lean on a stranger's shoulder the way that some think they can lean on a chair. This all happened when we were leaving Fantasmic. We just stay put until the crowd thins some. This kid was practically draping herself over the back of my chair.

I definitely understand where some of your daughter's anxiety comes from. As for kids staring, I usually make eye contact and smile. The child will either smile back or look away because they were caught staring. If they still stare, I might say VERY politely, "Would you like to ask me a question?" Most kids stop at that point. Sometimes someone does ask a question, usually something like, "Why do you need a chair?" Or "Why are your legs like that?" My brief explanation is that the bones in my legs weren't formed like most people's which makes it difficult to walk. At this point most parents are mortified. Most days I don't mind questions. Kids are curious. Some days though the staring does bug me.

good answer. i used to always tell the kids my daughters legs are weak and thats why she wears the braces and has a chair. they say ok and go on their way. sometimes its more the adults than the kids. i feel so bad for my daughter when people stare she just puts her head down. its not an easy life for a teenager, breaks my heart :(

I really think that the message we're trying to get across is "A GAC is not a cure-all" Many, many times, I've seen people post here about a problem they're having. They've heard of the GAC and want to know if they qualify. They may or may not need a GAC - none of us are qualified to know. But a GAC frequently isn't the best tool for the job. It's much more akin to "There's a curb-cut here, but there isn't another one for awhile and the sidewalk tends to be crowded. You might be better off just wheeling down Main Street."

I understand how useful a GAC can be. I usually have one. But it's not the best tool in my arsenal. On my last WDW trip I used it once. My last DL trip, I was more frustrated using it than not using it. Clearly, your mileage varies - but that doesn't make my experience any less accurate.

I really think that the message we're trying to get across is "A GAC is not a cure-all" Many, many times, I've seen people post here about a problem they're having. They've heard of the GAC and want to know if they qualify. They may or may not need a GAC - none of us are qualified to know. But a GAC frequently isn't the best tool for the job. It's much more akin to "There's a curb-cut here, but there isn't another one for awhile and the sidewalk tends to be crowded. You might be better off just wheeling down Main Street."

I understand how useful a GAC can be. I usually have one. But it's not the best tool in my arsenal. On my last WDW trip I used it once. My last DL trip, I was more frustrated using it than not using it. Clearly, your mileage varies - but that doesn't make my experience any less accurate.
This is very true, you still need to plan. That being said, a GAC can make things easier. At Disneyland, there are many times where I don't need to use it due to how the queues work when they are shorter. But at WDW, I often find that I need to use the GAC, even on the shorter wait times, due to how the queues work.

So, it is definitely a YMMV thing.

Well put -
Exactly what most of us are saying.
This is very true, you still need to plan. That being said, a GAC can make things easier. At Disneyland, there are many times where I don't need to use it due to how the queues work when they are shorter. But at WDW, I often find that I need to use the GAC, even on the shorter wait times, due to how the queues work.

So, it is definitely a YMMV thing.
Agree.

That's a good reason why it's important to know that using a GAC might possibly mean a shorter, the same or a longer wait. Expecting the wait to always be shorter doesn't give people the information they need to plan what would work best in their situation.

Hi, I didn't read all the responses just some, here's my 2 cents :)

Your son has a debilitating condition whether it's temporary or permanent but it's real to him, therefore he would be entitled to the GAC and you would use it as needed. I don't see a single thing wrong with asking for one next time. As for that rude man behind you, oh boy, he's lucky he wasn't sitting behind my husband! yikes, how rude!

My son has Asperger's and a tethered spine, along with 2 extra bones in his feet that are only attached to tendons and he can't walk a long way (we're hoping he doesn't have to have his operation before our vacation, we'll find out June 17th). I also have my own disabilities, but that's another story. He has a gate in his walk so if he was sitting in the handicapped area, no one would know unless he was walking that he had a handicap. He doesn't want to be in a wheelchair at Disney and would rather just walk and rest, he's a 15 year old and doesn't like people treating him differently, but he's very aware of his pain and limitations. Again, if someone kept yapping about "handicap, handicap" while we were sitting there, I would be furious. Just because someone doesn't "look" handicapped enough for them, where do they get off shouting it out reminding the child that they're handicapped? Especially when this guy has a great seat himself. :furious:

I hope it didn't put a damper on your vacation, but by all means, please get your son a GAC next time so he doesn't have to listen to some rude adult call him out next time.

My son has a disorder called cvs (Cyclic vomiting syndrome) anxiety triggers it but sometime he has to run to the bathroom when he has to go he has to go ether throw up or IBS (on the potty for a long time) type situation this is our first trip to Disney I know this will be a high anxiety situation for him by the way he is 13 . Can he get a disability pass so he can get into the bathroom not have to wait in line he may not be able to wait .

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter