GA Proof of Auto Ins for Vehicle Reg

That's not how it works. Each county has its own tag office, so USAA would be dealing with the same office OP interacts with.
There are customer facing resources in the tag office and business facing resources.

The state maintains different portals into the data as well. For example a car dealer has a portal that allows them to input new car sales and generate titles. I do not have access to those resources and instead have access to a portal where I can only check on the status of a title.

USAA will not be dealing with the customer facing employees in the county tag office, they will be dealing with resources allocated to the business to business relationship that exists between insurance companies and the state GEICS which is run by the Department of Revenue.

I am wondering if the OP has found a bug in the recently implemented DRIVES system? It just made it to 2 months post implementation.

I was able to get it taken care of! I went into the Tag Office this morning and spoke to someone different than who helped me on Friday. I checked on the website right before I went in to see if my insurance would show as having hit the database and it still said that the VINs could not be found. After the lady typed in the New Title application info into the system, my insurance appeared in the database for her. I guess the reason my insurance wasn't showing up when I first went in on Friday was because it was submitted just over 30 days ago and the system automatically deletes insurance after 30 days if there's no GA registration with a matching VIN. As to why it still wasn't showing up on Friday after being submitted by USAA 3 more times, I don't really know for sure. The lady at the Tag Office said it may have been a glitch in the system, an incorrectly typed VIN on either end, or that the Title application timed out on the computer by the time the insurance was sent over which meant the VIN for the insurance couldn't be cross-referenced with the VIN from the Tag/Title side since the VIN wasn't active in the Tag/Title system. I'm guessing the last scenario is what happened since the insurance wouldn't show up for me online right before I went in today either, but as soon as the Tag Office filled out the Title app online, it did. It even showed that it was submitted on Friday. Regardless, it all thankfully worked out.

A couple of takeaways if anyone else moves to GA from out-of-state and has a similar issue:
- Make sure the VIN is correct on everything and input correctly by both the insurance company and the Tag Office
- Go to the Tag Office within 30 days of the insurance being submitted into the database or it will need to be resubmitted
- Insurance won't show up in the database unless you either have a current GA title/registration or an application for one in the system that has not timed out.

Also, I found out that new GA residents only pay 3% Title Ad Valorem Tax (changed from 7%), and that it must be paid in full when you apply for a new title (used to be half now and half within a year). That info wasn't available online.

Thank you everyone for your help!

I think you are giving USAA a pass. The assumption should be that they did something wrong until they can prove otherwise to the state that regulates them and allows them to operate.

I agree. A few years ago I had similar issues with a car I bought not showing up as insured. Kept getting letters from DDS stating there was no insurance on this car....talked to insurance company, they said they would check & re enter info if necessary. Got another letter, called insurance again....got a third letter stating my driver's license was going to be suspended because of no insurance, scared me enough to call number on letter from DDS & the very business like person I talked to did a 3 way call with my insurance and immediately asked for a supervisor at the insurance, "ordered" the supervisor to re enter everything while she had her on line & PRONTO all was well with my insurance showing up. Turns out whoever was entering it the other times at insurance company kept doing something wrong.

We've had USAA for over 7 years. We live in GA. We have registered a used car (new to us) and bought a new car in that time. We have had zero problems.

I really think it is the new system that was implemented in late May. Our registration always comes up in June, and we did get notices to try to do it before the new system, but May is crazy for us, so I didn't get to it until June. I mailed it in. I received back one registration card with sticker and one registration card without sticker (sticker goes on the license plate, so it is needed). This has never happened before. I had to go to the county office. Usually, you get in and out of there in 20 minutes. I waited an hour to get a sticker for a car already registered.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter