Future changes to park hopper rules?

I wrote Disney about my disappointment with all the no magic changes and in particular reservation and hop rules. I said that I believe that Disney does listen and hope my feedback was forwarded. I also asked about the rumor that you might need to reserve the hop park too. I got a personal call back. It was not the typical party line. She said they are getting a LOT of feedback. She said she went up the chain and asked about the rumor on hopping and was told that was not being considered. If the changes upset you..I urge you to share your feelings and write. I told her Ive been a planning geek for a long long time. I have never seen such anger frustration and vows to be done with Disney from so many.

We were there last week, (after having to replan our yellowstone trip due to the floods), one of the days we were at DHS; Rise, Toy Story, and Slinky Dog were all down at the same time in the early morning.

In the past, we would have simply moved to another park, however we were handcuffed to DHS until 2. When all 3 of those were down at the same time, it caused a domino effect for the rest of the day, it was brutal.

The limit on when you can park hop is insane and needs to be removed.

Why is it 2pm? Is that based around a shift change, and they are trying to figure out how to schedule the minimum number of folks needed at each park based on reservations?

I wrote Disney about my disappointment with all the no magic changes and in particular reservation and hop rules. I said that I believe that Disney does listen and hope my feedback was forwarded. I also asked about the rumor that you might need to reserve the hop park too. I got a personal call back. It was not the typical party line. She said they are getting a LOT of feedback. She said she went up the chain and asked about the rumor on hopping and was told that was not being considered. If the changes upset you..I urge you to share your feelings and write. I told her Ive been a planning geek for a long long time. I have never seen such anger frustration and vows to be done with Disney from so many.

Here's my thing, Disney had made me "fall out of love" with them. Look, we werent supposed to go this year, i was very adamant about that, I had promised our kids that since we are skipping this year, that we would go next year. Well mother nature told me i wasnt going to Yellowstone this year, so with a month to plan, we flipped our 2022 and 2023 vacation plans.

I had a fantastic time at Disney a few weeks ago, part of that was because I told myself I wasnt going to let the nickel and diming get to me, and id go in with a positive attitude. I did, and we had a blast.

Day 6 of our 8 day trip we tested positive for Covid, so we packed up and came home. Disney refunded 2 nights of our hotel and removed the expiration on the last 2 days of our tickets. So we'll be back for a long weekend sometime soon to finish off this trip.

But unlike times in the past, i wasnt sad we were leaving, I'm not itching to go back. I bought a coffee mug this time, and only because we collect them, but its literally the only thing i bought. We've always bought park hoppers, and will never buy them again. The lack of evening magic hours is brutal, and now every park letting resort guests in 30 mins early, it means you have to be there at that time in order to hit some attractions, its hard and very tiring.

Disney has removed the magic, to me, its just not as fun as it used to be.

I've been on here raging about disney in the past, I'm done with that. I'm done with being pissed at them, they've taken so much away and are charging so much for things now, that it forced me to fall out of love with them.

It's sad what its become.

I shared my feelings about the parking fees at resorts a few years ago, and I like you i received a call back. The person i talked to literally told me the reason they were charging for parking, is because everyone else does it. That's when I knew Disney was no longer a leader in the industry, they were just like everyone else.

They will change this at some point. For a fee. $$$ to be able to hop anytime.

We already pay a fee! 😡
I am not going to quarrel with you, because I am disappointed too.

Yes, you are right that park hopping is a fee that people pay. But, what's better than charging a guest a fee to park hop for TWDC and its shareholders? Charging a second fee to guests so they can park hop whenever they want.

It's like if TWDC figured out a way to charge a guest a fee to enter a theme park, charge a fee to utilize shorter lines for attractions and shows, and then charge a third fee to utilize shorter lines on certain, specific attractions. Pretty smart fee structure for TWDC.

So, in reality by charging a 2nd fee for park hopping, there is only 5 fees that you may be paying to park hop any time to experience attractions and shows with less waiting. Sounds like a bargain, huh?

Why is it 2pm? Is that based around a shift change, and they are trying to figure out how to schedule the minimum number of folks needed at each park based on reservations?
Food and beverage shifts for sure. Staffing in that industry is hurting more than most so avoiding having to ramp up production for an unexpected lunch rush is huge.

If people hop for lunch then you will have even worse lines than what currently exist in the popular places.

I'd also have to imagine that 2pm also allows them to shuffle the deck as needed based on the trends they are seeing from morning entry.

My own theory of why it’s 2 pm is because they’re trying to even out where people eat lunch. Disney knows how many people they want in each park to maximize food and merchandise sales. Maybe if they keep you in the first park longer you’ll buy more than if you park hop earlier? Maybe you end up spending more time in the second park if you can’t hop until after 2?

I think one of the reasons for the 2 PM rule has to do with virtual queues. They don't want people park hopping into whatever park has the shiny, new ride to try for the 1 PM boarding group drop. They want that to be available to only those who made a reservation for that park on that day. There could very well be other reasons, but I think that's one of them. I know getting boarding groups for Guardians (and Remy before it) hasn't been that hard, but when Rise was using that system it was pretty cutthroat. The 2 PM hopping helps the VQ system by lessening the number of people that are trying to get a spot.

I think one of the reasons for the 2 PM rule has to do with virtual queues. They don't want people park hopping into whatever park has the shiny, new ride to try for the 1 PM boarding group drop. They want that to be available to only those who made a reservation for that park on that day. There could very well be other reasons, but I think that's one of them. I know getting boarding groups for Guardians (and Remy before it) hasn't been that hard, but when Rise was using that system it was pretty cutthroat. The 2 PM hopping helps the VQ system by lessening the number of people that are trying to get a spot.

Only those with a reservation for that park though are eligible fo the 1 PM drops anyway though - it wouldn't matter. You could hop, but not be able to get a boading group. As long as they make that clear, it shouldn't be such an issue.

Only those with a reservation for that park though are eligible fo the 1 PM drops anyway though - it wouldn't matter. You could hop, but not be able to get a boading group. As long as they make that clear, it shouldn't be such an issue.
Oops - you are correct! I'd completely forgotten that was the rule :rolleyes:. I was thinking you just had to be in the park. Why is Disney so confusing?

This is not accurate, by the way.

I park hopped to EPCOT twice in June/July and got in the virtual queue for Guardians both times.

One time I didn’t even set foot in EPCOT until almost 6 PM and I still got on via the 1 PM drop.

This is not accurate, by the way.

I park hopped to EPCOT twice in June/July and got in the virtual queue for Guardians both times.

One time I didn’t even set foot in EPCOT until almost 6 PM and I still got on via the 1 PM drop.

That should not be the case per Disney's rules: https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/guest-services/virtual-queue/

Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind

A virtual queue is in place at Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind. Guests will need to use the My Disney Experience app to enter the attraction. A standby queue will not be available. Each Guest can enter the virtual queue no more than once per day during regular park hours.

Guests must have valid admission and a theme park reservation to join the virtual queue. There will be 2 daily opportunities to request to join the virtual queue for Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind:

• 7:00 AM (Guests do not need to be in the park when they join, but must have a theme park reservation for EPCOT)
  • 1:00 PM (Guests must be in EPCOT to join the virtual queue at this time)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter