Frontier and Spirit questions

MarBee

DIS Veteran
Hello!
I’ve never flown Spirit or Frontier before but wanted to see if I could add them on the possible list for quick trips this year.
A few questions for those that use them:
1) do they have family boarding? Southwest will allow those who paid to board first go first, then families with kids under 6, and then everyone else. You choose your seat once you load onto the plane. Is the process similar on these carriers? Or are you assigned seats in advance? I am traveling with my kids and want to make sure we sit together.
2) My DS uses a nebulizer and inhalers. I believe I can put these in a carry on and not be charged. Am I correct?
3) If I can put his nebulizer in a carry on suitcase free of charge, would I be able to add other non-essential medical equipment in there as well? Like could I also put some outfits in there?

I’m not trying to scam, but I want an idea of what a flight will actually cost me in advance. For example, do I have to factor in the cost to choose seats or pay for carry-ons?
Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
I think your best bet is to search their web sites or call them directly. Though, I've never seen an airline that restricted medical equipment. If choosing seats costs extra then factor it in. The same with carry-ons. Check to see if they allow a free bad that fits under the seat.

I think your best bet is to search their web sites or call them directly. Though, I've never seen an airline that restricted medical equipment. If choosing seats costs extra then factor it in. The same with carry-ons. Check to see if they allow a free bad that fits under the seat.
Thanks! I’ve read their web sites and they do allow medical equipment and for a personal item that fits under a seat. I just wanted to hear from anyone that’s personally used them or been in any of the above scenarios.
I just see $20 tickets sometimes and want to decide if I need to snatch them up, or if the deal wouldn’t work for us.
Also trying to avoid sitting on hold on the phone on my commute home if I can help it. So I’m deferring to the collective mind out here on the boards

You can pay extra to choose your seats. No family boarding, and I've also heard if you wait to be assigned seats in the day of that they may not be anywhere near each other. So I have always paid the extra money to pick my seats.

Even with paying for 5 checked bags and to pick our seats our tickets still came out much cheaper then competitors if that helps. No wifi on plane as fyi. Also no snacks unless u pay so pack your own!

Each person can have a personal item (which to us is pretty much a carry on since we only ever carry on bags with toys etc for the kids so they are the size of a backpack which counts as a personal item!) Carry-ons are charged more but that would only be for a bag bigger then the dimensions on their site....essentially larger then a standard sized bacpack.

You can pay extra to choose your seats. No family boarding, and I've also heard if you wait to be assigned seats in the day of that they may not be anywhere near each other. So I have always paid the extra money to pick my seats.

Even with paying for 5 checked bags and to pick our seats our tickets still came out much cheaper then competitors if that helps. No wifi on plane as fyi. Also no snacks unless u pay so pack your own!

Each person can have a personal item (which to us is pretty much a carry on since we only ever carry on bags with toys etc for the kids so they are the size of a backpack which counts as a personal item!) Carry-ons are charged more but that would only be for a bag bigger then the dimensions on their site....essentially larger then a standard sized bacpack.

Thanks! And good to hear you recommend them! We are only about a 2.5 hour flight from PHL, so I figured it couldn’t be so bad. I’ll def factor in picking seats though! Thanks again!

We usually fly Spirit from Detroit to Orlando. You get a "personal item" for free (measurements are on the website) which must go under the seat. Any larger carry-ons including roller bags that need to go up in the overhead bins are charged and they're about the same price as a checked bag. If you pay for your checked bags when you first book your flights, it's much cheaper. My family has never paid for assigned seats and we have always been seated together - you select your seats for free when you check in online.

We have flown Spirit and Frontier from NJ, so same distance. I actually liked Frontier better than Spirit. I felt it was more comfortable and we had cheaper direct flights from Trenton. Spirit seats were very uncomfortable. We each brought a sizeable backpack and put it under the seat. On Frontier we just put all of our things in two checked suitcases to save money.
That said, I'm flying Spirit again in two weeks. It's not that far, so I can deal and I'm traveling by myself so I didn't even pick seats like I did when I brought my kids. It was way cheaper and the times were better than the flight I had originally booked with United. If it gets me to Disney, I'm good!

We usually fly Spirit from Detroit to Orlando. You get a "personal item" for free (measurements are on the website) which must go under the seat. Any larger carry-ons including roller bags that need to go up in the overhead bins are charged and they're about the same price as a checked bag. If you pay for your checked bags when you first book your flights, it's much cheaper. My family has never paid for assigned seats and we have always been seated together - you select your seats for free when you check in online.
Thanks! Good to know we can sit together without paying extra!

We have flown Spirit and Frontier from NJ, so same distance. I actually liked Frontier better than Spirit. I felt it was more comfortable and we had cheaper direct flights from Trenton. Spirit seats were very uncomfortable. We each brought a sizeable backpack and put it under the seat. On Frontier we just put all of our things in two checked suitcases to save money.
That said, I'm flying Spirit again in two weeks. It's not that far, so I can deal and I'm traveling by myself so I didn't even pick seats like I did when I brought my kids. It was way cheaper and the times were better than the flight I had originally booked with United. If it gets me to Disney, I'm good!
Thanks! I’ve never flown out of Trenton but will have to compare prices. It’s not too far from us, so I’m glad to have another option!

3) If I can put his nebulizer in a carry on suitcase free of charge, would I be able to add other non-essential medical equipment in there as well? Like could I also put some outfits in there?
No! No no no no no!!!! If you put anything else in the bag other than medical equipment, you WILL be charged. And the price is a lot higher at the airport.

Airlines like Spirit and Frontier make money on fees. They will find any reason to charge you a fee. I couldn't find an answer for Frontier, but kaytieeldr is correct as far as Spirit is concerned. They are very explicit on their website. I found this answer by searching "medical" on their Help Center page (emphasis mine):

Will I be charged for my medically required mobility/respiratory assistive device or medication?

Of course not! Your assistive devices, respiratory assistive devices (CPAPs, POCs, etc.), medications, and/or medical supplies do not count towards your baggage allowance and can be brought on board free of charge. But, if there are any other personal items in a bag along with your assistive devices, the appropriate charge will be collected. We encourage our guests with special needs to carry on-board any assistive devices or medications that are medically necessary as long as they fit in the overhead compartment. To safely be stowed on-board, the device must not exceed 22 x 18 x10 inches (56 x 46 x 25 cm).​

Source: https://customersupport.spirit.com/...y-respiratory-assistive-device-or-medication-

Thanks! Good to know we can sit together without paying extra!

It is a risk though. If there are not enough seats together when you go to check in, you will be split up. You'll have to decide if you are willing to take the risk. How many kids are there and how young?

No! No no no no no!!!! If you put anything else in the bag other than medical equipment, you WILL be charged. And the price is a lot higher at the airport.

Very true.

Airlines like Spirit and Frontier make money on fees. They will find any reason to charge you a fee. I couldn't find an answer for Frontier, but kaytieeldr is correct as far as Spirit is concerned. They are very explicit on their website. I found this answer by searching "medical" on their Help Center page (emphasis mine):

Will I be charged for my medically required mobility/respiratory assistive device or medication?

Of course not! Your assistive devices, respiratory assistive devices (CPAPs, POCs, etc.), medications, and/or medical supplies do not count towards your baggage allowance and can be brought on board free of charge. But, if there are any other personal items in a bag along with your assistive devices, the appropriate charge will be collected. We encourage our guests with special needs to carry on-board any assistive devices or medications that are medically necessary as long as they fit in the overhead compartment. To safely be stowed on-board, the device must not exceed 22 x 18 x10 inches (56 x 46 x 25 cm).​

Source: https://customersupport.spirit.com/...y-respiratory-assistive-device-or-medication-

To be fair to Spirit and Frontier, every airline that I've looked into says the same thing. Makes sense really - otherwise people will cheat the system by putting a small medical device in a big bag to get "free" carry on.

I got curious after reading writerguyfl's post, so I did some research on my own. Frontier's special baggage .pdf indicates assistive devices fly at no charge, but that's as specific as it gets. Southwest doesn't address charges, probably due to the generous allowance overall.

jetBlue indicates no additional charge, but like Frontier, doesn't address the 'just medical...' in the bag. I thought Delta was interesting: "Medical supplies or equipment are allowed on board as additional items at no extra charge. Some medical items can be carried on the plane, as an "additional carry-on item", as long as they meet the standard size and weight limits. If your supplies/equipment are included in a larger bag that contains other non-essential items, that bag will not be considered a free item, and will be subject to normal baggage fees." Doesn't address other items in the medical equipment bag.

AA is equally vague: "Mobility and medical devices don’t count toward carry-on limits. If space is limited, the device doesn’t fit in the cabin or if it isn’t required during the flight, it may need to be checked."

United doesn't really seem to address it, just the typical, "Mobility and medical devices don’t count toward carry-on limits. If space is limited, the device doesn’t fit in the cabin or if it isn’t required during the flight, it may need to be checked."

Perfect! Thank you! So nothing but medical stuff in the suitcase definitely!

I got curious after reading writerguyfl's post, so I did some research on my own. Frontier's special baggage .pdf indicates assistive devices fly at no charge, but that's as specific as it gets. Southwest doesn't address charges, probably due to the generous allowance overall.

jetBlue indicates no additional charge, but like Frontier, doesn't address the 'just medical...' in the bag. I thought Delta was interesting: "Medical supplies or equipment are allowed on board as additional items at no extra charge. Some medical items can be carried on the plane, as an "additional carry-on item", as long as they meet the standard size and weight limits. If your supplies/equipment are included in a larger bag that contains other non-essential items, that bag will not be considered a free item, and will be subject to normal baggage fees." Doesn't address other items in the medical equipment bag.

AA is equally vague: "Mobility and medical devices don’t count toward carry-on limits. If space is limited, the device doesn’t fit in the cabin or if it isn’t required during the flight, it may need to be checked."

United doesn't really seem to address it, just the typical, "Mobility and medical devices don’t count toward carry-on limits. If space is limited, the device doesn’t fit in the cabin or if it isn’t required during the flight, it may need to be checked."
Thanks! FWIW, AA and SW allow a free carry on. We actually flew both last week and had his neb and inhalers in a bag with various other items.

Thanks! FWIW, AA and SW allow a free carry on. We actually flew both last week and had his neb and inhalers in a bag with various other items.
You're right, they do (well, AA and Delta have super economy fares that don't, too) but medical supplies and equipment usually don't count toward that carry on allowance. Passengers can generally bring an under-seat item, an overhead compartment item, and a medical equipment/supplies only item.

Unfortunately, most airlines don't advise passengers of the 'only' as explicitly as Spirit does. I can argue with Delta's specific wording

We fly Frontier a lot. You either pay to choose your seats or have them assigned at check in so you know before you board the plane either way where you'll be sitting. And yes they have family boarding. I think they say with strollers or kids under 5.

As for the medical equipment, we travel with a CPAP as well as a bag of food for my kids because of severe food allergies. I almost always put extra stuff in them just because they have extra pockets and no one has ever said a word to me about it. I'm not sure how they would even know as the security people don't know if it's a freebie or paid bag and the airline isn't looking in the bag when I board. Mind you it's not filled to a point it's obvious anything else is even in there so maybe if it was bulging they might ask.

I don't have any experience with Spirit though.

We fly Frontier a lot. You either pay to choose your seats or have them assigned at check in so you know before you board the plane either way where you'll be sitting. And yes they have family boarding. I think they say with strollers or kids under 5.

As for the medical equipment, we travel with a CPAP as well as a bag of food for my kids because of severe food allergies. I almost always put extra stuff in them just because they have extra pockets and no one has ever said a word to me about it. I'm not sure how they would even know as the security people don't know if it's a freebie or paid bag and the airline isn't looking in the bag when I board. Mind you it's not filled to a point it's obvious anything else is even in there so maybe if it was bulging they might ask.

I don't have any experience with Spirit though.
Thank you! Super helpful!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter