Free downgrade from Dollar Rental Long vent

In January 2002, L&M rented us a Gallant as a full size. I did not care for it. We got our stuff and 4 people in it, but it took some time to get it all in.

National and Alamo consider a Galant a mid size, not full size.
L&M has had many complaints about what they consider "full size" . I only know this for sure as I was having a problem selecting a car on the EA this past Feb. All there were, it seemed, were Galants and I asked two attendants there what the Galant was considered, they said mid size (intermediate).
We went to the full sized aisle and low and behold not a single Galant there, just Intrepids, Buicks, a couple Malibus and one honking big Bonneville.

I don't often disagree with Gail H, BUT National considers the Misubishi Gallant (as well as the mid size Malibu and Toyota Camry) to be FULL SIZE cars. National considers the smaller Mitsubishi Lancer to be an intermediate. That big, honkin' Bonnie was in the wrong space - National considers that to be a premium car. In Tampa last year they had a LeSabre parked in the Luxury car area (even though it too like the Bonneville is a premium car).

So sorry to hear about all the problems you had, I know the "tired and the kids just want to go" feeling. But I must say, we rented from Dollar last week at a rate of 89.00 (before taxes) for the week for an Intermediate (Stratus), and we couldn't have been happier with how it went. Since I made the reservation myself, I was familiar with all the car sizes because they are all listed (with pictures) on their site. I had applied to be a Fastlane Member, so they already had all the info on our insurance preferences, credit card etc., and we only had 1 person ahead of us in the "Fastlane" (the other line was pretty long). Also, I knew the exact amount that should be charged for our number of days, if they didn't come up with the same amount, I was ready to question. Hope you have better luck next time! ~:D~

SuzyQue
That's wondeful! All rental pick ups should go that nicely. Great that you are well informed!
I am curious. Was your rate with a code or discount? Or was it just straight off the web site? Thanks. :wave:

Poly Pal,

You are correct, National's intermeidiates include the Lancers. There were DOZENS of them on the lot when we were at the world 2/21. We had a Lancer last July from National.... I didn't like it but couldn't complain as it was arranged and paid for by Ted's company (it was a business trip). Again, it was conosidered an Intermediate as those were ALL they had in the Intermediate aisle in Fort Lauderdale.

PS SuzyQue, glad to hear everything went well with DOllar... I had been wondering. Maybe we should have switched..... oh well, we were very happy as well, but paid more.... you live and you learn!

Holly

I don't often disagree with Gail H, BUT National considers the Misubishi Gallant (as well as the mid size Malibu and Toyota Camry) to be FULL SIZE cars. National considers the smaller

Hi Poly Pal,
They had Galants parked in the intermediate aisle there, perhaps they have finally changed the classification. Also, as I said, two different attendants said the Galant was a mid size. Many of the rental agencies consider the Malibu to be full size, something I cannot figure out. I am not familiar with the Camry, only think they are attractive cars, so, I cannot comment.
The honkin Bonnie was in the wrong place, that is for sure!!!!
If they rented Accords, I wonder what they would be classified as.
:)

When we got a Gallant last year at the Dolphin they INSISTED it was full sized. What can you do??????????? We tried to exchange it at the car care center, but they never seemed to have anything there either, so we gave up.:mad:

You know, the more I hear about the Galants being considered full size and hearing from PolyPal and ddawg about them called full sized, the more I am beginning to believe the attendants were blowing smoke and they had parked the Galants in the wrong aisle AND the full size cars are getting smaller and smaller.
:)
Guess it is a matter of what you are used to in a full size car.
Being older than dirt, I remember Impalas being full size and I guess it is old habit, but, anything smaller than that is mid size to me. :) I would have a terrible time if I owned a rental agency.

denisenh... we got that rate online without a code. I had originally booked with several different codes to get the lowest rate, GMF 40 for base rate of 194.00, CDEM for 179.98, GMF 2418 for 119.00 and finally no code for 89.99. I just kept checking the site, and the closer it got to our trip, the more the rates fell!

Ted and Holly..., you're exactly right, "you live and you learn", that's why we read these boards isn't it? ~ :p~

Wow, suzyque, no code...thats terrific.

I have to book a rental for April 28 through May 2 at Tampa, and it HAS to be a full size as I am going with a friend and both of our kids, 5 total....2A &3C.
I am not looking forward to the car rental part... at all. :crazy:

We have had a couple of problems with Dollar in the past - like not having a car when we got there and making us wait 4 hours for one.... :rolleyes: We complained to someone at the corporate level and got a $100 credit and a $100 coupon towards a future rental and a free upgrade to a SUV. I guess it worked in our favor?! hehehe

In case you haven't checked it out yet, here is the link to Mousesavers info on rental cars, she has a lot of codes you can try. I punched your dates into Dollar and came up with 186.96, all taxes included, using code GMF40, for a full size (Intrepid). I would just go to a couple of different sites and enter your dates and see what you come up with. If you come across a good deal, reserve it (they won't ask you for a credit card), and then keep looking for a better deal. You have awhile yet, so the rates will probably bounce all over the place up until the time you go. I'd be glad to help if you need it, just PM or e-mail me. Good Luck! ~:D~

http://www.mousesavers.com/groundtrans.html

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter