Freaking out a bit over how quick my trip is coming up!

WDWAurora

<font color=teal>I may not be Peter's Tink, but I'
I don't post here often, but this seems like the most appropriate forum, given some of what I'm about to say. We have decided to take DS on his first trip (he'll be 15mos) this summer. As in, when I made the reservations, we were already within the cancellation window. This is so unlike me to do things so last minute, and I hadn't intended to take DS until he was a little closer to 3, but, like Kevin, I also lost my mother recently. I certainly wasn't expecting to lose her when I'm 28, but such is life, I suppose. I need an escape from reality and disney certainly does that for me. I just can't believe that we're doing it so quickly, when it never even occurred to me until mid-June, and we have to go over the summer due to my work schedule.

Anyway...Corey & Julie's flight information has been invaluable. I have already listened to it twice, especially since I haven't flown since I was 17 (DH and I are not fans of flying, but facing similar drive times vs. flight times as their New Orleans trip) AND our son is just a month younger than Finley. Also, I'm planning to re-listen to Nancy's review of the Disney Junior show.

It's so exciting to plan a first trip for a little one!! Sorry for my rambling, I'm just a bit anxious over everything!

Don't be anxious! You're going to Walt Disney World!!!!!!! :)

I once booked a trip two days before I left. You will have a blast! It's really exciting when you have spur-of-the-moment trips! Enjoy it!

Take a deep breath, relax, your trip will be wonderful.

http://www.rdu.com/
RDU travel tips page: http://www.rdu.com/travelinfo/travtips.htm#children

I'm assuming that you are flying out of RDU. So, I suggest that you and your son be dropped off at the curb with the luggage. If your husband parks in the sat. parking...it can take 15-20 minutes for the bus at least so make sure to not to cut it close.

RDU has additional security lanes in Terminal 2 that just opened so that will help in the timing. Southwest and Air Tran are in Terminal 1...but, in my experience...fast security in the early morning and late afternoon.

2 years ago, RDU's TSA agents were pretty friendly, but our last flight did not have the new machines in 2009. NC Beast gets padded down 75% of the time (usually his belt triggers the alarm).

You might want a ziploc for what is in your pockets to it will be fast to collect your things after passing security.
------------

Have a great trip. We are thinking about flying down next month for our trip.

Don't be anxious! You're going to Walt Disney World!!!!!!! :)

I once booked a trip two days before I left. You will have a blast! It's really exciting when you have spur-of-the-moment trips! Enjoy it!

me too!!!
i once booked a trip 2 days before we left...and that's flying from Israel...
totally nutso....and probably the most fun ever....no pre-planning...

we did an entire play it by ear trip.....
spent a lot of time in innoventions watching the kids play on everything in there..
and spent a lot of time just sitting together in the parks watching the world go by.....
probably the most relaxing trip ever!!

Thanks for the reassurance. I definitely think that I deal with grief with anxiety (I'm a psychologist, so I tend to over-analyze my own reactions, too-awesome), so I know that's part of it. Another part is just being anxious about taking a real vacation with our son for the first time. Because of mom's health, we rescheduled a previously planned beach vacation and went to my parents' house instead. That's the only place DS has stayed overnight other than our house (several times, but still).

NC Belle-the RDU info is great. We are planning to be dropped off, so we can all be left at the curb, actually. Our flight leaves at 10:55, so I was thinking get there around 9. Does that sound like enough time? We'll have to get a boarding pass for DS since he has to have his age verified. I still have to figure out which relative to ask to take us, but it won't be an issue. I've got to study up on all these liquid rules, since those didn't exist when I flew in 2000. Our ME tags are here, and they sent 3, so we'll definitely have enough (hoping to only take 2 suitcases checked).

It's definitely a lot more to think about with DS than when it was just the 2 of us!

Oh, and did I mention that my father and grandmother (not his mother-my mother's mother) are meeting us there? And my grandmother should use an ECV, but won't, so she'll be using a walker? They're both in their own rooms, but it definitely adds a lot to all of the planning considerations.

Thanks for the reassurance. I definitely think that I deal with grief with anxiety (I'm a psychologist, so I tend to over-analyze my own reactions, too-awesome), so I know that's part of it. Another part is just being anxious about taking a real vacation with our son for the first time. Because of mom's health, we rescheduled a previously planned beach vacation and went to my parents' house instead. That's the only place DS has stayed overnight other than our house (several times, but still).

NC Belle-the RDU info is great. We are planning to be dropped off, so we can all be left at the curb, actually. Our flight leaves at 10:55, so I was thinking get there around 9. Does that sound like enough time? We'll have to get a boarding pass for DS since he has to have his age verified. I still have to figure out which relative to ask to take us, but it won't be an issue. I've got to study up on all these liquid rules, since those didn't exist when I flew in 2000. Our ME tags are here, and they sent 3, so we'll definitely have enough (hoping to only take 2 suitcases checked).

It's definitely a lot more to think about with DS than when it was just the 2 of us!

Oh, and did I mention that my father and grandmother (not his mother-my mother's mother) are meeting us there? And my grandmother should use an ECV, but won't, so she'll be using a walker? They're both in their own rooms, but it definitely adds a lot to all of the planning considerations.

I think 2 hours will be fine. Sometimes, the check-in and security is quick and sometimes a small wait.

I just found this link to see the average time for security at RDU: http://www.gofox.com/tools/waittimes.php?state=NC&airport=RDU

We usually turns walking around the terminal when we are early. I think we almost pushed our luck the last time because we arrived almost 50 minutes before flight (before the installation of the latest machines and pat downs).

--------
I recommend that if your maternal grandmother might want to have a walker with the fold down seat if she does not want a wheelchair/ecv. She might be more comfortable with the family bathrooms in order to have enough clearance with the walker.

--------

The liquids/gels TSA page--- the 3-1-1 stuff: http://www.tsa.gov/311/

It is 3oz or less in 1 quart sized ziploc for (1) each person

For some larger liquids rule:
Declare larger liquids. Medications, baby formula and food, and breast milk are allowed in reasonable quantities exceeding three ounces and are not required to be in the zip-top bag. Declare these items for inspection at the checkpoint. Officers may need to open these items to conduct additional screening.

You need to remove computers usually at RDU (in our experience in 2009) and possibly medical equipment like C-pap. They take their time on anything dark shape and electronic. I usually tell them that my bag has a lot of electronics/camera/eyeglass case.

don't worry, your going to be fine. Just remember to take breaks while your in the park, there are lots of quiet places. Also Bob Varley's advice is timeless. Naps. Go back toyour room and make sure nap time happens. Everyone will be the better for it.

Thanks, guys! Grandmother does have a walker with a seat. She requires it, actually. Hers with the seat moves a lot better than her other normal walkers.

Ok, with the liquids, is it that each person can have as many under 3 oz bottles as they need as long as they fit in one quart size ziploc, or we can each have a max of 3 oz total? I'm trying to figure out my makeup, primarily. I can get the liquids into a ziploc (with a small sunscreen) but I'm sure it's more than 3oz total. Each one is less than 3, though.

I think we'll let my dad bring his laptop so we can backup pictures, and we'll just hide from the net (ok, other than on our phones) for the week. Our camera is the only high drama item that we're carrying on, I think.

The rest of our documents came today! It's not long now!

Thanks, guys! Grandmother does have a walker with a seat. She requires it, actually. Hers with the seat moves a lot better than her other normal walkers.

Ok, with the liquids, is it that each person can have as many under 3 oz bottles as they need as long as they fit in one quart size ziploc, or we can each have a max of 3 oz total? I'm trying to figure out my makeup, primarily. I can get the liquids into a ziploc (with a small sunscreen) but I'm sure it's more than 3oz total. Each one is less than 3, though.

I think we'll let my dad bring his laptop so we can backup pictures, and we'll just hide from the net (ok, other than on our phones) for the week. Our camera is the only high drama item that we're carrying on, I think.

The rest of our documents came today! It's not long now!

I think it is as many 3oz bottles that will fit in a quart bag.

We have book our return trip tickets today (still deciding on the RDU-MCO leg).

We are deciding what to pare down on our electronics. I have to figure out the sunblock because I need a lot (burn too easy).

We're the same with sunscreen, and we're definitely not chancing it with the baby. The first afternoon we'll probably just head over to DTD, but we still need sun protection. My little one I found at Target is 1oz, so that will get us through the night until our luggage gets to the room. All of the individual makeup items that are liquid are less than 3oz.

Did you have any luck finding tickets? I've been surprised about the cost-they have actually been going down for our dates. We got them at the lowest I saw them for, so it's not a refund situation or anything.

I'm resisting starting to pack! I need to at least wait another couple of weeks!

We're the same with sunscreen, and we're definitely not chancing it with the baby. The first afternoon we'll probably just head over to DTD, but we still need sun protection. My little one I found at Target is 1oz, so that will get us through the night until our luggage gets to the room. All of the individual makeup items that are liquid are less than 3oz.

Did you have any luck finding tickets? I've been surprised about the cost-they have actually been going down for our dates. We got them at the lowest I saw them for, so it's not a refund situation or anything.

I'm resisting starting to pack! I need to at least wait another couple of weeks!

The last time that we flew, the conceirge service desk at CSR helped us by recommending Turner Drug which delivers not only prescriptions, but items like filtered water, sodas, sunscreens, and OTC. They have other items and they will deliver for $7.50 ($10 for online orders).

http://www.turnerdrug.com/

I saw some 3oz bottles of sunscreen at CVS today.

The Hess stations are pretty resonable on soda, beer, and other food items. Florida stores hint...if you see buy one get one free---you have to buy 2 to get the sale.

We have chosen a $73 SWA ding, but waited to long on the flight down because we were hoping for the mid-morning sale. We are going to buy the $99 flights before they go up. We decide to do the Early Bird checking in for $10 each for the return flight.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter