FP Strategy question

princesslover

DIS Veteran
So I am going Easter week single parenting with my two daughters, ages 10 and 13. The last time we were in Disney was December 2013 - the FP+ system had just gotten started, and we were lucky enough to be able to use both the bracelet and the ticketed FP.

So this time, things are different. One - it is Easter week. Second, I am single parenting and want to make the best use of our time to avoid tired children. I am hoping some veteran DISers can share their strategy. My FP+ selections are all late morning to early afternoon. I plan to use rope drop and have one PPO adr. I have two basic questions regarding rope drop, particularly around MK and AK (I think Epcot and DHS are different "beasts" due to having only a few really popular rides, and the rest almost walk on, but I could be wrong.

Anyway, at rope drop (for AK and MK), should we try to ride the "big ones" first, even though we have FP for later, to get to ride them more than once? Or should we use that time to ride the less popular rides, but attractions that we know will eventually have longer waits with the rationale that we won't have FP for them?

Also, what about character meet and greets? Is that a good use of rope drop time, or a waste of valuable time when we should be on rides?

I hope this makes sense, sorry it is not very succinct!

Anyway, at rope drop (for AK and MK), should we try to ride the "big ones" first, even though we have FP for later, to get to ride them more than once? Or should we use that time to ride the less popular rides
Many guests rope drop the priority rides and if they decide they don't need that FP ride, they'll Modify that FP and choose a secondary ride.

With your kids, you'll want to guarantee those rides with FP in case you don't make it to AK or MK in time for rope drop.

I would suggest using rope drop for the shortest ride attractions that are near each other so you can get in as many as possible before the parks start filling up. I wouldn't use rope drop time for safari at AK, It's a Small World, Splash Mountain, Enchanted Tales with Belle or anything over a few minutes (you can find this info in a few several places). Make your very first ride one of the busier attractions (for example, Peter Pan, Thunder Mountain, Space Mountain, Everest, etc). I wouldn't do this, though for 7 Dwarves Mine Train because a TON of people are trying to run there too...you are best off with a FP for this one). Keep in mind that once you have used up all 3 of your FP, you can go to a kiosk and get a 4th, and then repeat, and so on. So, for the less popular rides, you can get same day FP for the late afternoon. In terms of repeating rides, I think it depends on how many and which you plan to repeat....

You can now book your 4th FP and subsequent FPs from the MDE app on your phone. You won't need to go to FP kiosks during the park day.

Whatever your favorite popular rides are that are must-dos, do at RD, and within the first hour or two while waits are still short, especially during such a busy time. If it is a ride you think you want to do twice(like TSM at HS for us), we try to do first and have FP for later to do again as you suggested. As PP mentioned you can always adjust them if you decide not to. I think the hardest to plan is MK w/so many rides. Do you have more than one day planned there? If so it makes it easier to split plan up, but if not, choose one land to start on at RD that has a few rides you want to move between quickly, then move to next area you want to cover, then onto FP, so you are not wasting time and energy running all over the park.

With the app it is easy to check wait times to know where best to go next, and to make 4th FP as soon as you check in for 3rd(and so on for 5th,etc). 7 Dwarfs Mine Train, Peter Pan, Enchanted Tales, and the Mountains are best done with FP or RD, plus any other faves.

For popular characters that are must-dos, you will also want to FP or RD them, if more impt. to kids than certain rides - for example, Inside Out characters at Epcot have long lines all day, so best to do early. For other characters, you can catch later, like Anna and Elsa, who have 3(?)sets meeting at once in seperately rooms so don't usually have a long wait, or others like Mickey that meet at several parks and you can choose when to see.(Kenny the Pirate has info on where they meet, and you can check times guide each day).

For tiered parks, HS and Epcot, since you can only get 1 major ride, if you you really want others, you should do one at RD, then try for next one after, to make most of your time, since they probably won't be available as 4th FP later. So maybe if you have Frozen FP later, go right to Soarin then to Inside Out or vise versa. At HS if you want RnRC and Toy Story, go to whichever you don't have FP for first. If either is into SW line my DD, there is a lot at HS to do as part of your day. The other thing to consider is fitting in shows at HS especially, and AK. You have to look over times for those to try and fit in throughout the day if desired. I like to use wdwent.com to see his weekly schedule for each park to get a general idea for preplanning(also lists character times). Again any parks you have more than one day for is helpful for less cramming.

With such a crazy time and single parenting girls that age for the week(I took a almost 13 yr alone last Dec, and she was much less predictable than our last trip when she was 10!) I would say have a good plan in mind, and then expect the unexpected, and know when it's time to grab a Mickey bar and regroup! :earboy2: We ended up back at the resort one day for a pool break, and never got back for night plans cause she was wiped, and wanted to lay around and watch videos on her phone - and she is a Disney kid! Sorry such a long post - Hope it helps!

Whatever your favorite popular rides are that are must-dos, do at RD, and within the first hour or two while waits are still short, especially during such a busy time. If it is a ride you think you want to do twice(like TSM at HS for us), we try to do first and have FP for later to do again as you suggested. As PP mentioned you can always adjust them if you decide not to. I think the hardest to plan is MK w/so many rides. Do you have more than one day planned there? If so it makes it easier to split plan up, but if not, choose one land to start on at RD that has a few rides you want to move between quickly, then move to next area you want to cover, then onto FP, so you are not wasting time and energy running all over the park.

With the app it is easy to check wait times to know where best to go next, and to make 4th FP as soon as you check in for 3rd(and so on for 5th,etc). 7 Dwarfs Mine Train, Peter Pan, Enchanted Tales, and the Mountains are best done with FP or RD, plus any other faves.

For popular characters that are must-dos, you will also want to FP or RD them, if more impt. to kids than certain rides - for example, Inside Out characters at Epcot have long lines all day, so best to do early. For other characters, you can catch later, like Anna and Elsa, who have 3(?)sets meeting at once in seperately rooms so don't usually have a long wait, or others like Mickey that meet at several parks and you can choose when to see.(Kenny the Pirate has info on where they meet, and you can check times guide each day).

For tiered parks, HS and Epcot, since you can only get 1 major ride, if you you really want others, you should do one at RD, then try for next one after, to make most of your time, since they probably won't be available as 4th FP later. So maybe if you have Frozen FP later, go right to Soarin then to Inside Out or vise versa. At HS if you want RnRC and Toy Story, go to whichever you don't have FP for first. If either is into SW line my DD, there is a lot at HS to do as part of your day. The other thing to consider is fitting in shows at HS especially, and AK. You have to look over times for those to try and fit in throughout the day if desired. I like to use wdwent.com to see his weekly schedule for each park to get a general idea for preplanning(also lists character times). Again any parks you have more than one day for is helpful for less cramming.

With such a crazy time and single parenting girls that age for the week(I took a almost 13 yr alone last Dec, and she was much less predictable than our last trip when she was 10!) I would say have a good plan in mind, and then expect the unexpected, and know when it's time to grab a Mickey bar and regroup! :earboy2: We ended up back at the resort one day for a pool break, and never got back for night plans cause she was wiped, and wanted to lay around and watch videos on her phone - and she is a Disney kid! Sorry such a long post - Hope it helps!

Thank you everyone! All good tips. Ideally, we want to ride our faves more than once (btmrr, soarin, SDMT etc.) But want to use RD time wisely. If I have my first couple of FP's in a certain land, does it make sense to start RD there (for example, if my first FP is at BTMRR, should I RD the attractions in Frontierland to avoid walking?)

Yes, we have 3 days at MK, 2 at epcot, and one for DHS and AK each. For Epcot, we have FP for Soarin one day, and FAE the next. We hope to RD TT and Soarin. For MK, our FPs are divided up between Splash, btmrr,7DMT ETWB( btmrr, 7dmt are repeated on the diff days).

My girls love Rapunzel. Does that line get long? I am wondering if that would be a good use of RD.

I had no idea Anna and Elsa had multiple showings. That is not a definite must do, but good to know.

Thank you all very much. Needless to say, I am starting to freak out just a tiny bit!!

Last edited:
Thank you everyone! All good tips. Ideally, we want to ride our faves more than once (btmrr, soarin, SDMT etc.) But want to use RD time wisely. If I have my first couple of FP's in a certain land, does it make sense to start RD there (for example, if my first FP is at BTMRR, should I RD the attractions in Frontierland to avoid walking?)

Yes, we have 3 days at MK, 2 at epcot, and one for DHS and AK each. For Epcot, we have FP for Soarin one day, and FAE the next. We hope to RD TT and Soarin. For MK, our FPs are divided up between Splash, btmrr,7DMT ETWB( btmrr, 7dmt are repeated on the diff days).

My girls love Rapunzel. Does that line get long? I am wondering if that would be a good use of RD.

I had no idea Anna and Elsa had multiple showings. That is not a definite must do, but good to know.

Thank you all very much. Needless to say, I am starting to freak out just a tiny bit!!

I would start at a land adjacent to the FP you will head to, assuming FP is an hour+ after you are arriving. For example, go to Adventureland to do POC, Jungle Cruise, etc. and then could head to BTMRR. You could head to Rapunzel meet first thing on one of your days to get that done, and then FP other things in Fantasyland. Also, I don't know if you heard about the new Bon Voyage brft at Boardwalk with Rapunzel and Flynn and Ariel and Eric - it is supposed to begin April 2, if you wanted to try and get an ADR on an Epcot day. I am guessing they would love it!

I would do Fantasylnd at rope drop, since there are so many quick rides close together so you can knock out a bunch in the first 1-2 hours. I would save FP rides for the 11-3 range when lines will be longest.
you have more than enough time planned for each park so you can really spread out your plans and fast passes. I don't think you should have any trouble seeing pretty much everything you want if you use your FP wisely. Do your top choice rides early in the morning and use FP for repeat rides, Frozen, and Dwarves (these two are crazy runs at rope drop and ridiculous waits all day long). Even if you can't get FP right away, keep trying, try splitting up your group and keep moving your times closer and closer together as they become available. All you really need is a 5 minute overlap for members of your pert for a must-do if you can get there exactly on time (taking advantage of grace periods if necessary).

I would start at a land adjacent to the FP you will head to, assuming FP is an hour+ after you are arriving. For example, go to Adventureland to do POC, Jungle Cruise, etc. and then could head to BTMRR. You could head to Rapunzel meet first thing on one of your days to get that done, and then FP other things in Fantasyland. Also, I don't know if you heard about the new Bon Voyage brft at Boardwalk with Rapunzel and Flynn and Ariel and Eric - it is supposed to begin April 2, if you wanted to try and get an ADR on an Epcot day. I am guessing they would love it!

That is a good idea to hit adventureland on the days our first FP is btmrr. We do like JC. I had no idea about that new breakfast. I will definitely check into it. I have Akershus, which is a bit easier to get to since it is inside WS but I will see what my girls think. That sounds unique and we have never been to boardwalk. If not, e can always catch Rapunzel at RD as you mentioned. Thank you!!

I would do Fantasylnd at rope drop, since there are so many quick rides close together so you can knock out a bunch in the first 1-2 hours. I would save FP rides for the 11-3 range when lines will be longest.
you have more than enough time planned for each park so you can really spread out your plans and fast passes. I don't think you should have any trouble seeing pretty much everything you want if you use your FP wisely. Do your top choice rides early in the morning and use FP for repeat rides, Frozen, and Dwarves (these two are crazy runs at rope drop and ridiculous waits all day long). Even if you can't get FP right away, keep trying, try splitting up your group and keep moving your times closer and closer together as they become available. All you really need is a 5 minute overlap for members of your pert for a must-do if you can get there exactly on time (taking advantage of grace periods if necessary).

Yes, I followed some great advice on here and all my FP's are 11:00-3:00. One of our days in MK is a PPO ADR at CP. On that day, we will definitely hit Fantasyland hard. I have heard 7dmt is crazy. I got a FP for that aytraction all 3 of our days at MK.

I hadnt considered trying to split our party up for FP's. I will try it but don't want to be too obsessed with my phone and FP. (I tend to get a little OCD and I want to try to mix being organized with letting loose and having fun.) But that is good to know. Thank you!!

It sounds like I am on the right path with my planning so far, from what everyone has said here. I am feeling a lit more confident. Thank you!!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter