Former WDWCP Intern

hi disneyana_5 - i asked the recruiter at my school when I went for an interview and he was like "oh yes yes, drexel, we certainly take into account that you run on a different schedule than most colleges." i'm sure that it would be easy for you to get a shorter stay if you just ask at your interview, it looked to me like they really only try to run it on a "schedule" so they can train a bulk of the CPs all at once. but i met so many people who didn't stay a full six months, aside from the many who got kicked out (drugs, drinking, not showing up to work, other foolish things) i had a roommate, for example, who had a late birthday (you have to be 18) so she only did three months. i'd be surprised if they didn't make an exception for you as well.

I did college program summer of 1999, lifeguard . . . reading this post is bringing back such memories . . . Vista Way . . .
college program muct be so different now that it's longer. I remember thinking that three months wasn't long enough. I've never had as much fun as I did that summer.

Thank you Philadisney and MyGoofy26 for the info!
I will probobly call the recruiter sometime soon, but I will definately ask again when a recruiter comes to my school! I hope the time issues will work out. This is something that I really want to do. I read on the official Disney internship website that the student needed to have atleast one year of school done. That means that one is able to do the internship program their senior year or after graduation right?

Thank you again for the great info!

yup, i have a friend who did the college program after he had graduated - i think as long as you interview while still a student you're ok.

disneyana_5 said:
That means that one is able to do the internship program their senior year or after graduation right?

You can do the internship program in the semester after you graduate. You have to interview while you're still a student.

I did College Program the Spring of 2000. I was a Park Greeter and Parade Audience Control on Main Street at the Magic Kingdom.

You actually have 6 months after you graduate to do an internship. I did my CP the semester after I graduated from college and I did my advanced internship at Guest Relations at the Magic Kingdom.

My co-worker is a former CPer as well - she was also a College Recruiter for College Program.

Both of us met our husbands while on College Program.

Those were the days...

Can anyone tell me more about the advanced internship. Is that a program for people who already graduated? I see you can do the program 6 months after you graduate but I graduated in May '04 so its too late :sad2:

You can do the advanced internship if you've already graduated. For some of the AI programs, you have to have done the regular CP already before, but for some of them, this prerequisite doesn't exist.

Spring '99 CP Alumnus checking in here!

Best few months of my life :-)

I was a guide at "The Magic of Disney Animation" at the Studios... Vista Way 3607

exwdwcm said:
i guess i am an oldie.....

fall 96.....hollywood and vine cafeteria (it wasn't a character meal back then)

a current coworker now (at my real job!) was also on the program, but even older.....back in 1986 or so (probably when some of you were born!), but he was a jungle cruise skipper back then....

Ok, I've got that beat! They still called us MKCP's in the Spring of 1984, since EPCOT was still fairly new. Our program began mid-january and ran thru the end of May. I sold balloons and worked in the Magic shop on Main Street. (My magic tricks rarely worked!)
And we roughed it in modified double-wide trailers in "Snow White Village", behind the KOA campground and that funny little bar/shack with all the former MKCP's nametags (what was the name?)
Anyway, the program didn't provide TV's of telephones in our backwoods shacks, so we had to invent our own fun. We did the "Drinking around the world" quite a bit and went to Rosie O'Grady's for nickel-beer night on wed. nites.
Our group was the one that went on the Sea Escape cruise and the ship actually caught on fire while we were out to sea.
Yet I have some wonderful memories of that semester!! And now my DD begins college in the fall, and she is hoping to spend one semester at Disney. She's noticed that the pixie dust hasn't left me yet, and it's rubbed off on her, thank God.
Yep, 20 years (ohmyogsh) later and I still return, but stay in much nicer rooms!!
Any other "older" CP-ers out there? :cool:

Hey Guys. I am a Student at University of Maine. I am just wondering what type of GPA I would need to be accepted into the CP. Right now I have OK grades. But would give my ANYTHING to work at disney for a semister. What are my Chances?

actually I don't think GPA factors into it much anymore.As long as you're reasonably intelligent and make a good impression at your interview you'll do fine and chances are you'll get in

2Xited4Disney, as the rules stand now, you must be in good standing with your college or university. So as long as you're not on any sort of academic probation, you're fine. Generally, at most large schools, good academic standing is around a 2.0 after two semesters.

To clarify some of the advanced internship questions, you can do an AI (or a CP, for that matter) after graduation, but you must apply while you're still a student. While at one time you were able to apply for an AI up to 6 months after graduation, that's no longer true.

However -- there's a tiny, not-quite-loophole. If you apply for an AI your final semester of college, do not get it, and instead do a regular CP (or if you do a regular CP after graduation), you CAN apply for an AI the semester while you're down on the CP. Still, it's not much help for anyone who's already graduated!

Hey former CP here. I haven 't checked out this board becuase I thought it was for College students, and let's just say I am not in college anymore :) CP from 99 and 01, recruiter from 00 - 04. Dh is CP from 01, that's where we met :)

Amanda

agotta said:
Hey former CP here. I haven 't checked out this board becuase I thought it was for College students, and let's just say I am not in college anymore :) CP from 99 and 01, recruiter from 00 - 04. Dh is CP from 01, that's where we met :)

Amanda

Hey Amanda... what 01 program were you i was spring advantage at BTM?

In 01 I was at GMR in MGM. My husband worked at Muppets in 01, neither of us were on the advantage program though. My roomate in 99 worked at BTM and Splash.

Amanda

Thats cool... one of my roommates worked at Tower of Terror and some times did Fanstasmic Pac

Hey guys! I have a quick ?, is there any way you can try to secure a certain position? Like for the most desirable jobs, like working the main attractions or something, is there any method about why they pick 1 person other another? I still have a while til I do a CP, but I want to start learning about it early and since I'm going in April, I figured I should learn about b4 i get down there :) thanks!

Michele

cheerdancer11 said:
Hey guys! I have a quick ?, is there any way you can try to secure a certain position? Like for the most desirable jobs, like working the main attractions or something, is there any method about why they pick 1 person other another? I still have a while til I do a CP, but I want to start learning about it early and since I'm going in April, I figured I should learn about b4 i get down there :) thanks!

Michele

Nope..

During your interview, it doesn't hurt to say "I've always wanted to ..... " and say how great it would be if you could .....

They just cannot assure you a specific position until you actually arrive in florida.

-Troy
CP Fall Adv. 2004
PI Admissions/Ticket sales

Hello CP and AI Alums!!!! And hello to those who want to join the CP. I'm probably considered too old for the "collgee boards", but I am an alum, so I thought I would post anyway.

I was a Mechandise Hostess at DAK for the Spring 99 program and lived at Vista Way.

I did the Creative Development Advanced Internship for the International Travel Marketing Department in the Spring of 02. Work in Celebration!!! Lived at The Commons.

Both were way cool, and I would go back in a heartbeat if I could. I graduated in Dec 01 and did the internship right after. I'm not caught up on all of the new rules and regulations regarding the CP, but if you have any questions about my experience, fire away. Us CP's can't ever talk about Disney enough!!!

Program highlights: Meeting awesome people from all over the country (and beyond) who I am still in touch with, even from the 99 program. Some even came to my wedding. I met Al Weiss at a presentation at Vista Way. Seeing some cool celebrities. Going backstage and learning the "magic." Oh, did I mention how cool it is to go to the parks for FREE!!! I lived at the parks during my CP and AI.

If you get a chance, do it. It is the experience of a lifetime!!! :earsgirl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter