Forget the Eiffel Tower - I'm going to Phantom Manor - PTR 2017

Kelsanna

Earning My Ears
Greetings fellow Disboarders, I'm a long time lurker first time Trip Reporter. Hello all! This is my pre-trip report for my upcoming Disneyland Paris trip!

First, who am I? (so kind of you to ask)

IMG_8933.jpg

I live on the west coast of Canada so Disneyland is my "home park" if you will. I've always loved Disney and have a special place for Disneyland in my heart because its the first park I ever went to (if we ever meet in person buy me a drink and I'll tell you about how my sisters once convinced me that you bring your suitcase to Disneyland because you don't ever come home). Over the last few years though I've gone park mad and had the pleasure of doing some trips to Walt Disney World in Florida: POFQ with my parents, POR with my best friend, and POFQ again with family before heading on my first Disney Cruise last year. My parents (retired.. I'm pretty jealous) decided last fall that they wanted to use some miles and go to Europe. They decided they'd go to Amsterdam for a week and then we'd meet up and take a long planned trip to Ireland to soak up some of my mother's family history and culture. Me being me thought: Europe? that's close to DL Paris! So we compromised and now I will be meeting my parents in Paris for a DLP trip before heading to Ireland. My apologies if this post is a bit light on pictures.

Party:
Mum, Dad, myself

FullSizeRender.jpg

Travel dates:
Total trip for me is May 5 to May 21 (2017)

Staying Disney:
Newport Bay at Disneyland Paris May 6-12.

I have never stayed Disney at California but am a huge fan of staying on property at WDW. My family is definitely not as Dis-mad as I am (the horror!) so they wanted to save money and stay somewhere between Disney and downtown Paris; those who want to (my parents) can spend the day in the City and those that want to (me) can spend the majority of the time at DLP. Some of you may have read about a super great deal I found on a European travel company website called Sembo, and if you saw my post about that... it did not turn out to be a legitimate package (never fear I did get my deposit back). Despite the upset about the booking falling through, the Newport Bay Disney Resort seed was planted. I discovered that changing the language on the official DLP website gave different promotions geared towards different countries. Subsequently, we found a decent deal for Newport Bay which in addition to including park tickets includes half board (breakfast and a lunch/dinner voucher).

Advanced Dining Reservations:
I haven't booked any yet but I'm looking for suggestions for must eat places. Historically I've always been a counter service kind of gal. The only ADRs I have ever made are for Be Our Guest and Club Villain. However since we have booked a package with meal vouchers included, I'd like to see what the table service restaurants in DLP have to offer. I am liking the sound of Bistrot Chez Rémy, so my plan is to try to make a reservation for that. From my research I know that ADRs can be made 60 days in advance and I've heard you can call through to the US reservation line and ask to be transferred to Paris so I'll report back about how that works.

Itinerary - I'm not a super planner by any stretch of the imagination. This is just a rough sketch which I will try to update as I go.

May 5 (evening) - (hopefully get off work early) depart Vancouver for British Airways flight to Paris

May 6 (day, hello time difference) - short layover in London at Heathrow. Does anyone have any experience transiting through LHR? I'm slightly worried about arriving on an international/long haul flight and then taking a short haul flight from a different terminal.

May 6 (evening) - arriving in Paris Saturday May 6th in the evening (Charles De Gaulle). Currently looking for a cheap but comfortable hotel to stay for the night as my flight arrives late and our Disney reservation is for the 7th. Not usually a fan of airport area hotels but this might be the best option since my research tells me the TGV trains are fast and easy way to get to DLP and that can be caught at CDG. Sadly this is the DLP Dapper Day, and as usual I'll JUST miss it.

May 7 (morning) - transit (by train most likely) to DLP and check in at Newport Bay. Park time after that. I have discovered since booking that this is Fête de la Victoire a public holiday in France.. so hopefully the park isn't overwhelmingly busy.... but I'm assuming it is. I won't care, hopefully I survived the long flight and I'll be so amped to be at Disney. Depending on how jet lagged I am either walk around both parks to get acquainted with the layout and the sights, or just focus on one. Who am I kidding? I'll probably run straight to Phantom Manor. Side note about me: favourite ride is Haunted Mansion, and I'm obsessed with riding all its variations.

May 8 - DLP

May 9 - Probably day trip into Paris. My coworkers and non Disney friends assume I'm going to DLP for one day and spending the rest of time in Paris proper... because hello its Paris! Lights, culture, history, art, beauty and all that. But I really am that kind of person who is easily distracted by Disney. Don't get me wrong, I do want to see Paris, but my best-friend S and I hope to take a European trip in the next few years so I'm intending to be back in Paris one day. I get easily overwhelmed when there's so much to see so I'm trying not to stress out about seeing all the sights in Paris. I am thinking I might do a hop-on-hop-off type bus ticket to see some of the highlights and get a feel for the city and then maybe one of the Big Ones (Eiffel tower, Louvre, etc).

May 10 - DLP

May 11 - DLP

May 12 (morning) - check out, transit back to CDG airport.

May 12 (afternoon) - Aer Lingus flight to Cork, Ireland.

May 12 (evening) - check into hotel in Cork. We've just booked a modest hotel in downtown Cork that we found on Hotels.com (has decent ratings on trip advisor). Pro: supposedly good location for walking around, Con: I get a twin bed.

May 13 - Intending to book a day trip/tour of the Ring of Kerry. Currently looking at a tour company called Paddywagon which seems pretty touristy but gets us to some of the sights we want to see without the stress of renting a car and driving ourselves.

May 14 - Miscellaneous Cork

May 15 - Train to be booked from Cork to Dublin. Also still to book: a hotel!

May 16 - Dublin - hoping to take a tour to Newgrange from Dublin, or some other tour.

May 17 - Miscellaneous Dublin

May 18 (morning) - check out, transit to airport

May 18 (afternoon) - British Airways flight to London, check into hotel (still to be booked, sensing a theme?).

May 19 - London - I want to do the Harry Potter studio tour, but don't think I can convince my parents to spend the money. Maybe see a West End show if time and budge permit
sub-buzz-30942-1489636775-1.png

May 20 - London - Probably some eating and shopping. I'm a dual Canadian/UK citizen and we've been to London a few times on family trips. Also, I lived for part of a year with my sister and her family while she was attending University in London... so these few last days in London are mostly about catching up with some old favourites. Hoping to hit up Primark, Irregular Choice (shoes!), and the DisneyStore UK. My grail mug has been spotted on instagram and apparently it comes from the Disneystore UK! I hope I can find it!

s-l225.jpg

May 21 - Evening flight back to Vancouver
cb63540ebee2c97c9267a15cecdc5ed9.jpg

Okay this went on a bit long, my apologies if it was totally boring!

If anyone wants to comment or make suggestions feel free! I don't know anyone personally that has been to DLP in the last 10 years so advice is more than welcome.

My next post will probably be more DLP focused with my "most looking forward to" list.

I am totally jealous of your time in Ireland!!!

I think LHR really depends on luck. I heard some horror stories from fellow backpackers and I did get more questions there than elsewhere. But you have dual citizenship so that will probably help. Hopefully, you've got a few hours between the flights?

Eiffel Tower is just sort of a walk by- there are really annoying hawkers and it's fenced off for security reasons so you can't get terribly close. Worth seeing it on the hour (I think) at night- it's lights twinkle! Skip louvre in favor of Branley, arts et Metier, or d'orsay. Seriously, step inside the louvre and see your whole day just vanish. Louvre is something you really should save for another trip.

D'orsay is the best replacement for the Louvre. Gorgeous art, GREAT setting. But smaller, intimate, in a lot of ways more interesting than the Louvre. Beautiful cafe too. Amazing painting collection, sculpture, probably the neatest collection of art nouveau furnishings I've seen in a museum.

Branley is near the ET. Great modern building, open late, convenient to your ET desire. Fantastic exhibits, and a lot is in English (if you don't speak French). But I would also say that it depends on your level of interest- African, indigenous art, completely fantastic but may not be your thing.

Arts et Metier- at least take the metro through the stop. Since you like Disney. The station is inspired by Jules Verne (DO NOT miss the captain nemo walk through in DLP. Seriously cool omg). The museum is a museum of inventions. The best part is their old church where they display the most amazing old flying machines, cars, and assorted other items. Has to be seen to be believed. Very popular place- I would go early. And if you're a geek, their special exhibits and gift shop stuff is really cool.

Check out the covered shopping areas,
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.th...2/mar/02/paris-hidden-passages-shopping-shops

And wander the streets. I did just that for a full day. You don't even really have to go into a museum, although I would. In one of those arcades is a really fantastic toy shop. But besides that the architecture is really neat, and well worth exploring.

Just my opinion- your mileage may be different- but I'd struggle to fill up 3 days at DLP. It's gorgeous and worth a visit. But even compared to DL, which is my "home" park as well- it's tiny. Shopping and food are weak and there just aren't as many attractions. I had two days planned; only did one. And a lot of that day was spent in line at Phantom manor and tower of terror. And in Phantom Manor's case, that wasn't the ride- that was because apparently a French and Spanish family started a brawl in the foyer so security had to shut it down for 45 minutes. Admittedly it was January, so lines were probably shorter, but the best things at DLP are walk throughs, like Nemo, and the details, like Cinderella's carriage. The closing show- the fireworks- now that is the best I've seen in ANY of the parks, and I'd probably go back to see just that.

But also the reports of Paris's "downsides" happen to be true. If it weren't Disney, it wouldn't be noticeable- but maintenance is an issue, smokers are an issue, and people waiting in lines tend to be not as courteous as at the US parks. Or actually- others have said it that way but in my opinion it is more that the the cast members aren't as active and crowd control is not quite as good. People get away with more stuff in Paris because security and management is just not as professional or as present as they are in CA or FL. So as a result, I was actually pretty glad it was low season and also that I'd only paid half price. At full price DLP is not much cheaper than the US parks and you don't get nearly as much bang for your buck.

Also- helpful to know that Paris actually shuts down the park on time. Like they close down the lands early so everyone sees the fireworks. No getting into line at closing like in the US parks.

It's a lot fun regardless. Have a fantastic trip!!

I completely forgot! Since you love Disney, it is WELL WORTH calling this place and trying to get a spot on their tours. You get to ride a few old carousels and play really old carnival games.

http://arts-forains.com/

Tour in French, but they give you a pamphlet in English and you really don't need translation any case.

Eiffel Tower is just sort of a walk by- there are really annoying hawkers and it's fenced off for security reasons so you can't get terribly close. Worth seeing it on the hour (I think) at night- it's lights twinkle! Skip louvre in favor of Branley, arts et Metier, or d'orsay. Seriously, step inside the louvre and see your whole day just vanish. Louvre is something you really should save for another trip.

D'orsay is the best replacement for the Louvre. Gorgeous art, GREAT setting. But smaller, intimate, in a lot of ways more interesting than the Louvre. Beautiful cafe too. Amazing painting collection, sculpture, probably the neatest collection of art nouveau furnishings I've seen in a museum.

Branley is near the ET. Great modern building, open late, convenient to your ET desire. Fantastic exhibits, and a lot is in English (if you don't speak French). But I would also say that it depends on your level of interest- African, indigenous art, completely fantastic but may not be your thing.

Arts et Metier- at least take the metro through the stop. Since you like Disney. The station is inspired by Jules Verne (DO NOT miss the captain nemo walk through in DLP. Seriously cool omg). The museum is a museum of inventions. The best part is their old church where they display the most amazing old flying machines, cars, and assorted other items. Has to be seen to be believed. Very popular place- I would go early. And if you're a geek, their special exhibits and gift shop stuff is really cool.

Check out the covered shopping areas,
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.th...2/mar/02/paris-hidden-passages-shopping-shops

And wander the streets. I did just that for a full day. You don't even really have to go into a museum, although I would. In one of those arcades is a really fantastic toy shop. But besides that the architecture is really neat, and well worth exploring.

Ahh! Thank you SO MUCH for the tips! I'm definitely going to look into D'orsay and Branley and Arts et Metier. I very much appreciate your input!

I've heard from other people some of the downsides you mentioned. I'm very curious to see if I come away with the same impression now that they've done some of the 25th anniversary refurbishments. Pirates I think will be the only thing still closed (which I'm a sad about because in Disneyland its my second favourite ride. I also have to wonder if things will change if the Walt Disney Company succeeds in obtaining full ownership of Disneyland Paris. I heard something like they plan to invest 1.6 billion.

Anyway, thanks again!

Ahh! Thank you SO MUCH for the tips! I'm definitely going to look into D'orsay and Branley and Arts et Metier. I very much appreciate your input!

I've heard from other people some of the downsides you mentioned. I'm very curious to see if I come away with the same impression now that they've done some of the 25th anniversary refurbishments. Pirates I think will be the only thing still closed (which I'm a sad about because in Disneyland its my second favourite ride. I also have to wonder if things will change if the Walt Disney Company succeeds in obtaining full ownership of Disneyland Paris. I heard something like they plan to invest 1.6 billion.

Anyway, thanks again!

You're welcome! I surprised to find find that I didn't feel that it was really an upkeep/refurb problem. To me, for example, Epcot is a refurb problem. But in DLP's case, you honestly can't refurbish what is not there. It's in pretty good condition. The parks are just noticeably smaller. And with Disney I think there is just an expectation of American customer service, American park culture. It's ran for and by the French. That's not bad. I loved Paris. I visited it mostly because of the museums- I'm not into the history or culture- but it turned out to be one of my favorite cities of the trip. I even like Parisian customer service. In case you do not know- Always say Bonjour upon entering and merci upon leaving. They are very polite- if you are polite to them. And they do not rush you- you've got to ask for your check. Paris is kind of odd because the sit down Cafe culture is so predominant. Sitting outside on the patio, drinking, smoking, and people watching seems to be the main form of entertainment.

Then I loved the fact that Ratatouille land gives you that unique Parisian neighborhood feeling. It feels more like the local theme park and to the French, that's probably what it is. Theme park food, shopping, kiddie rides, you get the picture.

I don't know if you went to California Adventure when it first opened. It was barely a half day park. They screwed the pooch. Now, after a major money injection, it's awesome. That's really what would have to happen for DLP. Don't know if it'll fly because you've still got the primary audience problem. The shopping culture in Paris is just very different from what it is in CA or FL. Not so sure that the issue is as simple as "if you build it they will come". Disney is fairly good at reading the regional market- there is a reason that there aren't as many food choices at DLR, or fast pass plus. There's a reason there's more shopping and things like mini golf at WDW that we will never see in CA. So anyway, should be interesting to see how it plays out. Hopefully it will continue along the same lines of the Gothic/Grimm brothers aesthetic. It feels European in some really wonderful ways, and I for one would not want to feel like I'm in FL.

Whew. Anyway, what I actually started this for- look pastry shops and chocolate shops. There are a mind boggling number of them in Paris and you can't get that quality of dessert in most US cities. Beautiful and unbelievably delicious!

Also, if you do one touristy thing- get up early and get in line to climb Notre Dame's tower to see the Gargoyles up close and personal. A must for a Disney fan- or any literary or history fan, really. It's an iconic sight that doesn't disappoint. I repeat- get there early. That line can get incredibly long! (So can the D'orsay, btw.)

And if you have any kind of sweet tooth- also google maison du choux. :tigger:Cream puffs, unbelievably good- filled right in front of you- cream puffs.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter