For you smokers out there......

ban smoking

• yes

• no

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have watched this discussion through the years, but stayed out of it as I can't seem to formulate an opinion squarely on either side. I am a non-smoker who can't stand second hand smoke and will refuse a smoking room. However, until the hypocrites in Washington ban tobacco, I can't in good conscience say we should ban smoking everywhere. Restaurants and other public places, sure, because I do believe it is enough of a nuisance (and hazard if concentrated) to other people. But as annoyed as I can get when smoking rooms are all that's left, I don't think they should be eliminated. I do, however, believe the different rooms should be 100% guaranteed, and if your preference isn't available at reservation time, suck it up and find alternative plans (and for smokers, DO NOT take the N/S and smoke anyway.) I still have no idea why this isn't a guarantee with DVC, it is with most hotels! DVC must have some statistics that show percentage of smoking requests so that they can allot an appropriate number of rooms.

As for smoking on balconies, I think (and no I am not a doctor, so this is my opinion/gut feeling) that second hand smoke is not as dangerous as they say and is more political than anything. Being trapped in a car or room with a smoker or somewhere where its concentrated with no ventilation, yes, I can believe the health detriment. Catching a whiff of smoke outside on a balcony, while annoying, I can't imagine poses any significant health risk. I would be willing to bet the benzene, toluene, ethyl benzene, and xylene exposure on gets every time they pump gas is FAR more detrimental than the occasional whiff of second hand smoke. Same goes for the formaldehyde in carpeting, volatile organics in paint, or half of the household cleaners out there, etc. If they keep the smoking rooms somewhat blocked in one area, floor, side, etc. I'm sure they could minimize the disturbance on the balconies.

Okay, I am going to be a little nitpicker here. :) SMOKING is the leading cause of preventable death. Not secondhand smoke.

Do I think secondhand smoke is dangerous? YES YES AND A BIG OLD YES. But when stating that statistic, I feel it is important to differentiate, since the study that the statistic is based on was on Smokers themselves.

Should Disney ban smoking and have all NS rooms? Probably.

I am not sure that will happen though. The second leading cause of preventable death is obesity, according to the CDC. And we all saw on the Restaurants board what happened when Disney attempted to change the kids menus to low fat, healthy choices. All heck broke loose.

Smoking stinks. Second hand smoke is a danger to those around you. Many smokers know that. I am one. I know that. I have tried to quit. Many times. The National Institute for drug addiction reports that half of all smokers try to quit each year and only 5% are successful for more than 3 months. Many smokers wish they could do it, quit, and be done. Almost everyone I know who smokes has been trying.

Villianizing the people who smoke in n/s rooms and in non-designated areas I can accept. But as someone who makes a conscious effort not to do that, I would appreciate not being treated as some kind of monster, out to kill you all. I know it stinks. I know it is bad for me. I know I will die from it if I cannot quit. I wish I had never started. I once told my 14 yr old that is the only thing I would change about my life if I could.

However, it seems that saying anything other than smokers are horrible human beings who should all be shot is like being a pariah in these parts. :confused3

Well said;)
Kerri

Looks like most DVC balconies...only have railings and a roof...
open on all sides front, and sides to wave at my
dvc neighbors....:confused3
All of the DVC balconies I've had so far have had side "panels" separating my balcony from the ones on either side, similar to the hotel balconies. Even the 2BR lock-off we stayed in had a panel separating the balcony for the LR and master BR from the balcony for the studio portion. So I couldn't even wave at the rest of the family, let alone my DVC neighbors! Unfortunately those side panels don't fully cover the space so if your neighbor is smoking out there, it can still drift over.

And as to the poll numbers, I think some people are concerned that if Disney banned smoking it would spread the smokers out around the resort and actually increase the chances that your neighbor will be smoking on the balcony or that there would be even more people smoking in N/S rooms, increases your chances of checking into a N/S room that had been smoked in. So I think the number of "Yes" votes would be higher if we could be assured that the ban would include the balcony and that Disney would actually enforce a smoking ban with stiff fines.

At a guess, I believe that one day it will be illegal to smoke inside a building other than a detached private home, and even that will be eventually regulated to homes where no children reside.

I'm not going to post opinions on it but I think that is what's coming.

Not really related to the above...I was given a smoking room at Pop Century once. I checked in very late and it was all they had. That room REEKED. I stayed two nights and when I checked out my suitcase smelled of smoke just from the atmosphere in that room. I wasn't even smoking in there.

I won't take another smoking room. They might be better in the DVCs because at least you can open the balcony door. But I am not gonna take that chance.

All of the DVC balconies I've had so far have had side "panels" separating my balcony from the ones on either side, similar to the hotel balconies. Even the 2BR lock-off we stayed in had a panel separating the balcony for the LR and master BR from the balcony for the studio portion. So I couldn't even wave at the rest of the family, let alone my DVC neighbors! Unfortunately those side panels don't fully cover the space so if your neighbor is smoking out there, it can still drift over.

And as to the poll numbers, I think some people are concerned that if Disney banned smoking it would spread the smokers out around the resort and actually increase the chances that your neighbor will be smoking on the balcony or that there would be even more people smoking in N/S rooms, increases your chances of checking into a N/S room that had been smoked in. So I think the number of "Yes" votes would be higher if we could be assured that the ban would include the balcony and that Disney would actually enforce a smoking ban with stiff fines.

Thanks Lisa,
I thought from pictures that SSR and WL...I looked cause I'm
goin:goodvibes .....that it was open....
Glad to hear there are rooms that are more private.....
More about me drinkin the mornin coffee with
my bedhead and pj's...
Kerri

At a guess, I believe that one day it will be illegal to smoke inside a building other than a detached private home, and even that will be eventually regulated to homes where no children reside.

I'm not going to post opinions on it but I think that is what's coming.

Not really related to the above...I was given a smoking room at Pop Century once. I checked in very late and it was all they had. That room REEKED. I stayed two nights and when I checked out my suitcase smelled of smoke just from the atmosphere in that room. I wasn't even smoking in there.

I won't take another smoking room. They might be better in the DVCs because at least you can open the balcony door. But I am not gonna take that chance.

I believe you....POP in particular.....so far for me....
has been the only smoking room I have ever had that stunk...
My mom smokes....i always request a smoking room...
so far pop....maybe cause of the a/c not staying on....
air was always stale:confused3

I can understand how that would disgust someone....
Disney should have a percentage of smoking rooms...
and then guarantee on booking.....Give people a chance to do the
right thing....Put in special air purifiers in those rooms
and charge more for them.....:confused3
Peace
Kerri

Thanks Lisa,
I thought from pictures that SSR and WL...I looked cause I'm
goin:goodvibes .....that it was open....
Glad to hear there are rooms that are more private.....
More about me drinkin the mornin coffee with
my bedhead and pj's...
Kerri
Even if you get a balcony that is more exposed, I don't think you'll be the only one out there in your pj's in the morning. And based on the sentiments in this thread, no one will have a problem with the pj's, the bedhead or the coffee!

Even if you get a balcony that is more exposed, I don't think you'll be the only one out there in your pj's in the morning. And based on the sentiments in this thread, no one will have a problem with the pj's, the bedhead or the coffee!

Yeah...your right....the mornin breath shouldnt travel
that far either:lmao:
Kerri

Well, the announcement has come that DVC Resorts and smoking days are over. Since the DVC Resorts are now non-smoking, the Discussion Thread is now closing. Thank you everyone for your thoughtful input over the years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter