For those who stream exclusively

We have Hulu Plus and Netflix. That’s all. Amazon Prime was not worth it for us as far as their streaming. When they raised the price last summer we dropped it and haven’t missed it one bit.

I like having my own movie server. I got DVD Fab movie server and just rip the DVDs to the hard drive.

I pay for Netflix, Hulu, and cbs all access. Disney’s new service will get thrown in there when released. I also have amazon but that’s cause I pay for prime shipping and I get hbo for free with my cellphone plan.

When we considered dropping cable we made a list of all the TV shows we like to watch (and there are a lot of them) and then figured out which streaming service we could use to watch them. It's mainly Hulu and Netflix, which we already subscribe to because we like the original content plus being able to watch seasons of shows that we never got around to watching the first time around. We watch a lot of CBS shows so we added CBS All Access. We've had Amazon Prime for many years and we find it to be a good value for the convenience of the two-day shipping alone; the video is icing on the cake for us. About 98% of what we regularly used to watch we can now watch via streaming. We dropped Comcast in September and went with Frontier internet (with faster speeds) for $46.99 per month for two years. This will save us $1,800 per year over what we were paying with Comcast for cable/internet even factoring in the cost of the streaming services. We found with all the variety that we get with streaming, we don't miss the 2% of shows that we can't get. We don't watch the news or sports, so we don't miss those at all. The only thing we miss is the Hallmark Channel for the 2018 Christmas movies. When Hallmark ran their two-week Christmas in July marathon of older Christmas movies we loaded up the TiVo with enough movies to easily get us through this holiday season. We have a lot of favorites that we watch every year.

We already had Netflix and Amazon Prime (mainly for shipping), so we kept those. I do pay a surcharge on Netflix to have it accessible to more screens at a time.
I added Hulu (a more limited one with commercials) because there was a black Friday sale for 99cents a month for a year. I will probably cancel it when that is up, but I enjoy some of the shows.
We also bought a nice antenna for our tv to get more access to network shows.

I have friends who also did something more like SlingTV or YouTube TV as an alternative to cable. Looking at the prices, I'm not sure that you couldn't get basic cable and internet on a good deal for about the same price.

We have sling, Netflix, and cbs for about $60 a month. I did what the above poster said and looked to see which channels we watched most (lots). With sling I added the hallmark channels and the dvr option, which puts us at $50 a month. During football we add the sports package for $10 extra. We purchased a few roku devices for our Tvs and it's super easy. Our local fox station has a news app so we can watch any live news show for free

Have you checked into the roku box? Many different channels on there. I use it for netflix

We already had Netflix and Amazon Prime (mainly for shipping), so we kept those. I do pay a surcharge on Netflix to have it accessible to more screens at a time.
I added Hulu (a more limited one with commercials) because there was a black Friday sale for 99cents a month for a year. I will probably cancel it when that is up, but I enjoy some of the shows.
We also bought a nice antenna for our tv to get more access to network shows.

I have friends who also did something more like SlingTV or YouTube TV as an alternative to cable. Looking at the prices, I'm not sure that you couldn't get basic cable and internet on a good deal for about the same price.
The reason I went with YouTube tv (which I love) is I like having a dvr. Verizon was charging $30 to have a home dvr and second box (just for the equipment). That’s basically what I pay for YouTube tv (it’s $40/no taxes but I pay with discounted gift cards). So I’m paying $80 for internet, live tv (including sports for my ds, bravo, news and local networks for me), and cloud dvr. My local cable companies can’t touch this.

We started out with just Netflix which is my favorite because I prefer watching movies over TV shows. They also have great exclusive series/shows/movies.

We also have Hulu now which I only use to watch a few shows. I don't like their exclusive content or their movie selection. My husband likes Hulu slightly more than Netflix because he prefers watching TV shows.

We don't ever use Amazon Prime video or whatever it's called. It's my least favorite.

We have Amazon prime (mostly for the shipping, the movies and music is a perk), Netflix and Hulu. I was paying for Sling; however I am doing the Hulu free trial and we might keep it. I like that we can have two streams at a time where as with sling certain color ( not sure it is is the blue or orange) you can only stream one at a time. I. Addition, it’s about 15 dollars cheaper for the channels we watch. The only one that sling had that Hulu doesn’t is AMC for us. And since my husband lost interest in the walking dead, it seems like we’ll be canceling Sling and keeping Hulu.

When we considered dropping cable we made a list of all the TV shows we like to watch (and there are a lot of them) and then figured out which streaming service we could use to watch them.
How do you do this? I can find such services offer which channels, but does that mean all the shows I watch on each channel are available?

Have you checked into the roku box? Many different channels on there. I use it for netflix

That's what we have, only the stick version. We have Netflix, HULU, Amazon Prime, NBA that we pay for monthly. My son uses it for YouTube and he also watches the PBS channel which doesn't cost any extra. I suppose paying for the ROKU paid for the use of the "free" channels.

I'm currently working on going cord free after DishNetwork announced they were upping their prices again. I've settled on SlingTV Blue for $25 since that matches the channel lineup we want most. They have a promo right now that if you prepay for 2 months, you get a free Roku Express. We can live with the 1 TV at a time limitation.

I'm also going to add an inside HD antenna for local channels, probably a Mohu of some sort but I'm still trying to figure out which one exactly.

I've tried Hulu/Netflix/AmazonPrine in the past, but I prefer watching live tv vs. searching out shows (I'm just lazy that way) and Hulu Live is more expensive at $40.

In general, I refuse to pay more than $25/month for TV. I currently have the DishNetwork Welcome Pack for only $23/month but they are raising that to $30 in January. It's not worth it.

Last edited:
We got rid of Cable several years ago. We used one type of box, and now have Tiger Stream. There is a lot of free streaming on it and we have Amazon Prime and Hulu. I was just going to cancel Hulu today because I realize that I don’t use it enough to warrant paying for it. Once we cancelled Cable, I gradually cut back on TV. Now, I’ll binge some shows when I have time- like during this break I caught up on Shameless and watched the first season of Ozark. Otherwise, I could care less about what I’m (not) watching. lol

We use Playstation VUE for tv and also have netflix and Amazon Prime. Used to have Hulu but with the playstation it was redundant. I do like Handmaids tale but will subscribe to Hulu again when the new season starts.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!