• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

For those who have stayed at the Candy Cane Inn...

mommy2allyandaveri

DIS Veteran
Can someone please tell me the difference between the standard, deluxe and premium rooms? Is it worth the extra money for the upgrade? We will be staying as a family of 4 (one child is only 1).

Anyone know what the breakfast consists of?

I haven't stayed there but just made reservations for Dec 16.

Standard has 2 queen beds, refrigerator, coffee maker.

Deluxe has the same amenities but is 40 sq. feet larger

Premium rooms are in the back and are bigger, have a vcr included, microwave, turn down service and breakfast is brought to the room for you.

We opted for the standard room because I don't think we'll spend much time there.
It seems like the Premium rooms were $40-50 more per night.

Thanks for the info. I don't think it is worth it for an extra 50 per night either. But the 40 sq ft extra might be nice for the 4 of us.

I stayed in the standard room with two 9 year old girls. The only problem was where the round table is situated (close to the door) which made it hard for anyone to go in or out while they were eating at the table.
The breakfast was good. It had a wide assortment of items:
two cereals (like Fruit Loops and Raisin Bran)
muffins, danishes, bagels
hot chocolate, coffee, orange juice, apple juice
whole apples, oranges and bananas.
We enjoyed the breakfast.

We just got back from our trip! We stayed at the Candy Cane Inn Monday night through Thursday night (checked out Friday). We had one of the "premium rooms"

Our room was 144. We were way in the back. It was very quiet for all but the last night as the hotel seemed to fill up a lot more. But even then, it was still pretty quiet.

For our room, we had 2 queen beds, although they seemed a little smaller, but that could be because we're used to a king. We had a small fridge, a microwave, 4c coffee pot, hair dryer, ironing board, iron, etc. The TV was nice and also had a VCR. They gave us a card, which enabled us to check out one free movie per night. They had a nice selection, and we ended up using it 2 of the 4 nights. When we first got into the room there was also a welcome basket, which was a popcorn bowl/bucket (a smaller version of the kind you get at the movies), a thing of microwave popcorn, and 6 cookies (yum!).

You get a "menu" for breakfast every day that you leave on your door handle by 2am. Then, they'll bring your breakfast selections to your door during the time frame you requested (7:15-7:30, etc) I think you could have it as early as 7 or as late as 9:30. You could select how many of whatever you wanted too. They had donuts (and you could select which kind - sprinkled, glaze, chocolate, etc), muffins, croissants, toast, bagles, cereal, oatmeal, juice, coffee, milk, fruit, etc. It was nice to be able to not only order as much as we wanted but to actually specify which kind/flavor etc we wanted.

To walk to the parks would probably take about 10 minutes. But we figured we'd be doing enough walking so why bother. We loved the shuttle - exclusive shuttle was great. Driver was really nice.

The whole turndown service wasn't necessarily needed, but whenever they did it (when we were out at the parks), they left little bags of pillow mints for the kids.

Bring quarters or extra money to get change in the office if you think you might need to do laundry. They have 3 washers and 4 dryers as well as a vending machine to buy soap etc. We ended up needing to do a load and the cost was $1 wash, $1 dry, $1 soap.

All in all, we loved our stay. The grounds are absolutely beautiful. Our only complaint was that the beds were very pillowy and bouncy. They were pillow-top beds, and we're used to a nice, firm mattress.

Also, don't forget to mention if you have a AAA card (you'll have to show it upon check in) because they do offer a discount.

My only advice when staying at the CCI is to CHECK YOUR BILL! We just returned from a week's trip to DLR--6 nights at PPH and one night at CCI. I have always stayed at CCI but will never again. Upon check-out, I was charged for staying in a deluxe room but we stayed in a standard room. The front staff was so funny--both women admitted that we had a standard room but I was charged for a deluxe room! (Kind of felt like "Who's on First?") Then the manager came out, he agreed that the room that we had stayed in was a standard room but I was charged a deluxe rate! So, what could be the problem---charge me the standard room rate! Not so simple! Finally, I told him that it was not worth the difference in the price to continue this discussion. I had my on-line reservation form and everything all saying that I had reserved a standard room! There are too many other places that are comparable to the CCI for me to spend my money (and we go about 4-5 times a year). I'd suggest HoJo's or the Ayres Inn. I will be posting a report on TripAdvisor. I was a little disappointed with a number of things this time around---soft beds, noisy rooms. This motel really needs to do a complete renovation--the bathroom cabinetry is plywood!

Funny thing too--a friend of mine stayed at the CCI last week too. She told me this morning that when she was checking out, she had been overcharged for her room as well! She was able to sort it out and have the rates adjusted but ---!!

I also had a not so great experience at the CCI. I will just copy/paste a previous post I made about it:

"The CCI is on the same side of Harbor as the entrance to the park, just before Katella Ave. It is very clean, and quaint. The rooms are slightly on the small side, but well appointed. The beds were VERY comfortable. We had a few small problems, such as the chlorine level in the spa was literally toxic, it actually hurt us to breath and burned our eyes if the jets were running. Also, we had two rooms, one that myself, my DH and our DS's stayed in, another for my mother and sister. When the maids cleaned our rooms during the day, they stacked my DS's stuffed animals up and folded his blanket at the foot of the bed, very sweet. My mom's room, however, they forgot to put the pillows back on the bed every day we were there and they never changed the linen in either room, even though we requested it. Also, I wasn't blown away by the customer service. No one was down right rude, but they definately weren't as friendly as I expected after reading all the reviews. The front desk staff was standoffish, and the shuttle was not on time, ever. The shuttle was one of the reason's we picked the CCI, so it was disappointing, but we found it easier just to walk than to give up time in the park trying to catch the shuttle. That all being said, we would consider staying there again if the rate was excellent, and everything else was booked. "

Also, one thing I didn't include on the previous post was that they made a billing error for us as well. When we checked in, we gave them a different card to pay with than the one we made the reservation with. They charged the wrong card, and then told us they couldn't fix it. The staff at the desk during that experience was EXTREMELY rude, but we did not see them again during our stay and next morning we found a manager who was willing to help. Still, it was a huge hassle, and it took over two weeks for the credit cards to reconcile properly, although it's hard to know how much of that was CCI and how much was the card company.
Another thing my DH just reminded me of is that the bathroom in my mother's room was really beat up, even though it was pretty clean, it was in disrepair.

The breakfast was mostly breads and apples with juice. Nothing fabulous but nothing stale or anything. The rooms that we were in were "Deluxe". I wouldn't pay the price difference again.

We stayed in a premium room...not worth the money...our stay at CCI was not good...stuff stolen from our suitcase and whole bunch of other stuff to long to mention. The grounds are nice the pool is incredibly small and cold they only heat it when the rooms fill, the hottub is a local watering hole for all the adults to drink all night. It still is a strip motel. Shuttle service is awesome. The shuttle service however has hit and miss drivers and tend to get very snotty with people and strollers if you do not follow bus protocol exactly. Get a basic room and save your money.

The Premium Room is simply the Deluxe room with an added microwave, DVD player, breakfast delivered to your room and some cookies at night.

Unless you need the extra amenities, just go with the deluxe.

Breakfast is muffins, bagels, toast, cold cereal, oatmeal, croissants, various other danish, juice, coffee, milk, hot chocolate, tea, and fruit.

We love this hotel--it's one of the best in the area. :thumbsup2

Candy Cane used to be the only place we would stay, but I've been sort of "eh" about it for the past few years and have tried other places. We have been disappointed that for it being a nice strip type hotel, the prices have gone way up. You used to be able to request the rooms in the back for no additional charge, until they changed them to premium rooms. One year we requested a premium room and got stuck way back in the upstairs right hand corner of the back (as you face the back.) It was in a dark corner with a view of the wall and next to a maintenance closet. Even though we were there for a week, they wouldn't change us. That really sort of irritated me. I also had problems with the bill and couldn't get any customer service. Since then we've stayed at Carousel Inn and Suites and Desert Inn and Suites and although they weren't fantastic, we felt like they were cheaper and more roomy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter