For 2,000+ mile round-trip drivers only!

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are lucky enough to live near a major interstate and there are only two other turns to get to DW from here. As long as we plan to avoid Atlanta during rush hours all goes well. Our goal, going and coming, is to get past Atlanta before shutting down the for the night.

One thing we have started doing the past couple of years is to borrow books on cd from the local library. It sure does make the miles go much quicker. This time we listened to "PS, I Love You" on the way down and I am hoping to see the movie soon. Such a simple and delightful story. The young woman who wrote it said that it just flowed out of her in record time.

We avoid the delays at airports, can bring much more stuff with us if we want, have loads of legroom while traveling, and have our own car with us down there to drive to many of the parks and the Orlando Ale House!!

Slightly Goofy

We avoid the delays at airports, can bring much more stuff with us if we want, have loads of legroom while traveling, and have our own car with us down there to drive to many of the parks and the Orlando Ale House!!

Slightly Goofy

Your airport comments are right on target! Legroom! Room for gifts! And so much more. But the flyers can get there in a handful of hours. It's a tradeoff that all must consider.

Your airport comments are right on target! Legroom! Room for gifts! And so much more. But the flyers can get there in a handful of hours. It's a tradeoff that all must consider.

We were down in October with my parents. We drove and they flew. We left at 5 am and got home before them. They faced all sorts of delays with the plane and didn't get home until 2am the next day. So sometimes it does pay off.

We were down in October with my parents. We drove and they flew. We left at 5 am and got home before them. They faced all sorts of delays with the plane and didn't get home until 2am the next day. So sometimes it does pay off.

Details, please! When was their initial departure time?
This is an amazing story but, perhaps, not considering the reputaion of the three NY/NJ area airports.

Details, please! When was their initial departure time?
This is an amazing story but, perhaps, not considering the reputaion of the three NY/NJ area airports.

They were flying home from MCO to Newark. They were scheduled to leave a little after 5 pm. The plane had "technical difficulties" and was delayed for two hours. After waiting around they were told at 7:30 it was going to be another hour or so. At 9:30 they were told the plane wouldn't be leaving that night and they would be put up in a hotel. They start handing out the vouchers for transportation, food, and the tickets for the next day. During the process, they are told a plane will be available that night, but not until 11:30. They take the 11:30 flight and get into Newark at 1:30. My brother was supposed to pick them up, but due to the time they landed they took a taxi. So they got home around 2 am.

We left at 5 am and were home by 9:30 pm.

They were flying home from MCO to Newark. They were scheduled to leave a little after 5 pm. The plane had "technical difficulties" and was delayed for two hours. After waiting around they were told at 7:30 it was going to be another hour or so. At 9:30 they were told the plane wouldn't be leaving that night and they would be put up in a hotel. They start handing out the vouchers for transportation, food, and the tickets for the next day. During the process, they are told a plane will be available that night, but not until 11:30. They take the 11:30 flight and get into Newark at 1:30. My brother was supposed to pick them up, but due to the time they landed they took a taxi. So they got home around 2 am.

We left at 5 am and were home by 9:30 pm.

Thanks for the details. Kind of like a tortoise and the hare story with a technological snafu thrown in for good measure.
All the best.

[btw: At this very time one week ago we were watching Spectromagic in Frontierland!]

Plus with the deals Spirit has, I will do whatever it takes to fly out of AC and avoid the hassle of Newark.

Plus with the deals Spirit has, I will do whatever it takes to fly out of AC and avoid the hassle of Newark.

We've only heard good things about Spirit flights out of AC, although we haven't flown in a while anywhere. Newark is to be avoided as are the two NYC airports.

AC airport is a dream. The parking is within walking distance and $6 a day. We were through security in less than ten minutes. Traveling with three kids (6/5/4) and a stroller, this is unheard of. Did I mention not having to go to Newark. We will be flying out of AC in April We got an awesome rate of $94 round trip for our family of five.:cool1: :cool1:

I would be tempted to fly too if it were not for the fact that I fear my husband would do his 'thing' and end up in Guantanamo as a suspected terrorist. He once, pre 9/11, threw a tantrum during a pre boarding inspection for a cruise over a $2 pocket knife of no import.

I drive to protect you all!! :love:

SG/Linda

AC airport is a dream. The parking is within walking distance and $6 a day. We were through security in less than ten minutes. Traveling with three kids (6/5/4) and a stroller, this is unheard of. Did I mention not having to go to Newark. We will be flying out of AC in April We got an awesome rate of $94 round trip for our family of five.:cool1: :cool1:

An "awesome rate" to be sure!
And not going to Newark is more than just a plus!
Let the countdown begin!

Merry Christmas to all!

Any 2,000+ mile driving trips about to begin?

Wow, what an awesome deal on the flight. So how did you get such a good price, I keep checking and the cheapest I can get is 200.00 round trip. Are you a member of the $9 fare club?

Fill me in on your secrets!!!!

Interestingly enough, where we live, it's a one hour difference in time to drive to Disneyland or Disneyworld. It's 31 hours to Disneyworld and 32 hours to Disneyland. Starting our trip on March 27th to the World! :cool1:

Wow, what an awesome deal on the flight. So how did you get such a good price, I keep checking and the cheapest I can get is 200.00 round trip. Are you a member of the $9 fare club?

Fill me in on your secrets!!!!

We are members of the $9 fare club. We went back in June for $190 something round trip for our family of five. It was an offer we couldn't refuse. We have APs, so tickets aren't a problem and couldn't turn down the offer when it came across. If you are flexible with your travel, you can score some awesome deals. Can't say it enough how awesome it is not having to drive up to Newark.

mapquest says it is 979 miles from our house to our hotel. i'm sure that with a few stops here and there, it will easily top out at 2000 round trip. does that count? anyway, we are leaving in one month!!! haven't decided if we will take 2 days or one to get there though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter