For 2,000+ mile round-trip drivers only!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hopefully you miss that $4.00 Delaware toll!

For New Jersey drivers heading south: $3.00 Delaware Memorial Bridge toll; $4.00 Delaware I-95 toll; and the $2.00 Baltimore tunnel toll. After that: $0!

Nope we're in north Wilmington . . . about 1 mile from the DE/PA border . . . so we too get to enjoy the $4 toll. Sometimes DE is the worst part of the trip! On our first drive down we were shocked that there weren't any tolls south of Baltimore!

Gas prices on our trip last week varied from a low of $2.85 in GA to a high of $2.98 just south of DC along I-95. And the prices did drop in one week along the multi-state trip. The WDW Hess dropped 2 cents while we were there.

That's positively CHEAP compared to our prices up here in CT. Average, I'm guessing, is around 3.10...maybe a bit north of that...right now.

We drive about 2040 miles there and back that doesn't include driving around while we are there. we have done it a lot of diffant ways...

the first trip me and dh only we left around 8 AM stoped somwhere in GA, then got to Orlando around 2PM the next day.

In 2004 we flew the first and only time ... we didn't pay for it my grandparents did, we wanted to drive but they insisted on us flying with the kids... never again, it wasn't fun even though it was only 2 hours...

In 2005 we left around 3PM to drive all night, it was HELL!!! Awful we stoped around the south side of Atlanta to sleep at a rest stop and of course the kids all woke up, it was awful to say the least... we got to orlando around 1PM and couldn't get into our resort till 4PM not fun to find something to do with very tired kids... but it's how our friends wanted to drive down... NEVER take friends!!! LOL

In 2007 we left around 5AM got to south side of GA and stoped around 5PM for the night, left around 8 and got there around 2 i think, it was a nice drive but seemed to last a LONG time...

this trip we will get the kids out of school around 3PM leave then stop around 1 or 2 AM then drive the rest of the way...

We have many trips to WDW but never drove. WE have made the drive to HHI 3 times. Not to bad I like to drive straight thru. We hit the road at 11:00 pm or so and I do all the driving. I will hit the road on a Friday night at 10:00 pm and hope to get some where in Florida to look for a room for the night. What is the road most take from NJ I 95 or do you go some other way?

We have many trips to WDW but never drove. WE have made the drive to HHI 3 times. Not to bad I like to drive straight thru. We hit the road at 11:00 pm or so and I do all the driving. I will hit the road on a Friday night at 10:00 pm and hope to get some where in Florida to look for a room for the night. What is the road most take from NJ I 95 or do you go some other way?

Most take I-95 all the way to I-4 (near Daytona, FL), which leads to Orlando and beyond (Tampa). Whether it's the Turnpike or I-295, you need to cross the Delaware Memorial Bridge. In about 20 minutes you're through Delaware and into Maryland--and on your way!

One couple we know skirt around via I-81 in PA, a circuitous route which is easier on the heavy traffic but longer.

The early morning drive (on the weekend, if you can) is the best time to travel, all things remaining equal.

All the best!

our trip is just a little over 2000 miles round trip! Even with the gas prices and my gas guzzling SUV we are still saving money over flying.

I've posted this question in another forum but never got any good answers,

we are driving from northwest arkansas and I'm not sure which way is best to drive,

the three routes are

one: go through memphis, birmingham, atlanta then down to orlando

two: memphis, birmingham then south on 231 to 75 to orlando

or go through jackson (ms), mobile (al) down through pensacola, tallahassee and then down to orlando

any advice?

our trip is just a little over 2000 miles round trip! Even with the gas prices and my gas guzzling SUV we are still saving money over flying.

I've posted this question in another forum but never got any good answers,

we are driving from northwest arkansas and I'm not sure which way is best to drive,

the three routes are

one: go through memphis, birmingham, atlanta then down to orlando

two: memphis, birmingham then south on 231 to 75 to orlando

or go through jackson (ms), mobile (al) down through pensacola, tallahassee and then down to orlando

any advice?

We drove through Arkansas on our way to Texas last March (just weeks before our drive to WDW!). Choice number one isn't desireable because it takes you north to an extent as you approach Atlanta from Birmingham.

The other two routes are more likely. Do a Google/MapQuest search and compare and contrast. But once you get on I-75, you'll be on your way to the "magic!"

I've done 3000 miles round trip twice. Once with stopping and once driving straight through with 4 drivers(24hour trip). We leave Friday morning at 6am! I'll just be happy when I get out of IL...that state doesn't end!

Amirah95: We enjoy the Carolinas ride because it is much more tranquil than the NE corridor. Of course, with CDs playing "Spectromagic," "Illuminations" and Wishes," any trip can be made more pleasureable.

It sounds like you're in the Carolinas when the sun is still up. We go through there around midnight or after so everybody is sleeping in the car. Maybe we should change our time ??? That would be a good idea. :goodvibes

It sounds like you're in the Carolinas when the sun is still up. We go through there around midnight or after so everybody is sleeping in the car. Maybe we should change our time ??? That would be a good idea. :goodvibes

We too love going through the Carolinas in the daylight. If we leave Delaware before 4 a.m. we go through populated areas in the dark and there tends to be more road lighting. We found driving through the Carolinas in the dark REALLY DARK! S. Carolina also has some great picnic areas if you like to bring your lunch!

Yes. Again, we departed from NJ on (Sunday) 12/09/07 at 5:05 a.m.
We made the following state borders:
DE @ 6:40 a.m.
MD @ 6:56 a.m.
VA @ 8:42 a.m.
NC @ 11:29 a.m.
SC @ 2:23 p.m.
GA @ 5:12 p.m. (the sun was just about to set at this time)
FL @ 6:54 p.m. (we went as far as Palm Coast for a hotel @ 8:40 p.m.)

A weekend journey and an early start work best for us. Give it a try sometime. And, of course, report back!
All the best.

A weekend journey and an early start work best for us. Give it a try sometime. And, of course, report back!
All the best.

Did you run into any traffic at all anywhere?

No. No traffic which slowed us on our journey to WDW. Although we made very good time we were in the right hand lanes most of the time. A great trip.

On our return (Monday), we hit some traffic in northern VA. I-95 South was blocked for some kind of Presidential motorcade for a while. The backup was nearly five miles!

When we drove down we left like 7:30 pm. This way we drove a decent amount of time before most people were awake..

Lots of Jersey drivers here. Seems like a bunch from the LBI area also.

We drive at least once a year from Maryland, about 890 miles each way, door to door. (I guess we don't quite qualify for the 2K Mile club. :upsidedow)

We're a family of five, but sometimes only two or three of us go, since two of our kids are now in college. Then we fly because we can usually get a $49 or $79 fare, we only do a 4-day trip, and it's worth it.

We live right off of I-95, so we hop on and head straight South. We generally leave around 10 PM and arrive about Noon the next day. DH does most of the driving, but I do about 3 hours around midnight, and now one of my kids can also drive for a few hours too. We have DVD players, play strange geography and trivia games, and always purchase one or two new CDs for the wee hours.

BTW, we get off I-4 at Sanford and take the Greenway East of Orlando. We've been doing this for at least five years. We'd rather pay $3 in tolls than drive even one mile of I-4 in Orlando. :scared1: Too many times we drove through snow and rain, keeping a good pace, and then the last 20 miles to WDW took two hours! :eek: (Our family's greatest dream: Florida SunPASS could be incorporated into EZPass!)

All the best.

2 questions.... How many stops do you make (eating, etc) and how fast are you driving. Your times sound perfect for us, I hope we can do it!! Our goal was to reach at least Georgia before stopping and staying overnight to refresh but we have always said, if we can make it to the FLA border, that would be even better.

TIA

2 questions.... How many stops do you make (eating, etc) and how fast are you driving. Your times sound perfect for us, I hope we can do it!! Our goal was to reach at least Georgia before stopping and staying overnight to refresh but we have always said, if we can make it to the FLA border, that would be even better.

TIA

We made two stops for gas: one in VA at 10:40 a.m. and another in SC at 2:13 p.m.. We take a quick break every 2-3 hours, either at a gas station or a rest area. We have sandwiches, snacks and beverages "on board."

Again, we departed NJ at 5:05 a.m. and reached the FL border at 6:54 p.m. That was 900 miles in about 14 hours (around 64 mph).

A weekend early morning departure in good weather is the key.

We made two stops for gas: one in VA at 10:40 a.m. and another in SC at 2:13 p.m.. We take a quick break every 2-3 hours, either at a gas station or a rest area. We have sandwiches, snacks and beverages "on board."

Again, we departed NJ at 5:05 a.m. and reached the FL border at 6:54 p.m. That was 900 miles in about 14 hours (around 64 mph).

A weekend early morning departure in good weather is the key.

Great!! we are planning to leave about 4 or 5 am. We drive about 65-70 mph. Now I am excited!!! I hope we get good weather. Usually we have rain on the way down and it slows us down so much. The drive home is usually snow, although this past February on the drive home we had no rain or snow. We left Orlando at 8 am and we were home in Jersey by 1:15 am Not too bad on the timing!!

Great!! we are planning to leave about 4 or 5 am. We drive about 65-70 mph. Now I am excited!!! I hope we get good weather. Usually we have rain on the way down and it slows us down so much. The drive home is usually snow, although this past February on the drive home we had no rain or snow. We left Orlando at 8 am and we were home in Jersey by 1:15 am Not too bad on the timing!!

An impressive return! We could never do a straight-to-home-in-one-day return (too much night time driving!). And we'll be attempting our first straight-through-to-WDW drive this spring (weather permitting).
All the best.

[For some reason my initial reply was never posted]:confused3

we're leaving tomorrow from jersey for a lovely 18 hour long drive to sunny FL!

2,232 miles roundtrip!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter