• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

For 2,000+ mile round-trip drivers only!

Status
Not open for further replies.
mapquest says it is 979 miles from our house to our hotel. i'm sure that with a few stops here and there, it will easily top out at 2000 round trip. does that count? anyway, we are leaving in one month!!! haven't decided if we will take 2 days or one to get there though.

Hmm. This is a serious inquiry. Shall a 979-mile one way trip (2 X 979 = 1,958) be included in this thread

:rolleyes1

Of course, "a few stops here and there" will most certainly qualify! :thumbsup2

If you look at some of our previous posts you will see the discussions about departure times and days, traffic, the seasons, etc. You have to decide. But an early departure works best. Drive safely, assume every other driver is clueless and you'll do well. In no time you'll see exit #260 on I-95, which is I-4. And then...WDW!

Members of the "2,000+ mile-round-trip-drive-to-WDW-club" await the first long distance drive report of 2008!
Happy New Year to all, no matter how you get to WDW!

Well we are 2854 miles from WDW 5708 round trip and I can guarantee you there is no way in H E HOCKEY STICKS that I am driving anywhere but to the airport!:goodvibes

Well we are 2854 miles from WDW 5708 round trip and I can guarantee you there is no way in H E HOCKEY STICKS that I am driving anywhere but to the airport!:goodvibes

Indeed! A 5,708 round trip drive to WDW would be something else again.
Which makes me think about those folks who would rather take an incredibly short flight than drive. You know, those who might say, "What? Drive from Tampa to Walt Disney World? We'll fly instead to Orlando!" ;)

Driving 1100 miles each way starting Thursday night! :goodvibes :love:

LOL...we'll beat ya, in leaving, by a couple of hours.

1100 miles each way starting Thursday at 2 PM.

:)

We check into the Nick hotel on Friday (so the kids can be entertained while I get some shut eye), and AKV on Saturday.

LOL...we'll beat ya, in leaving, by a couple of hours.

1100 miles each way starting Thursday at 2 PM.

We check into the Nick hotel on Friday (so the kids can be entertained while I get some shut eye), and AKV on Saturday.

A great journey to both pilferk and melmlantz this week!
And your respective routes?

A great journey to both pilferk and melmlantz this week!
And your respective routes?

I'm coming from NW CT, so....

Rte 8 south, to I 84 West, to 684 to the Sawmill River Pkway to 287W to Garden State Parkway South, to Jersey Pike, to I 95......95 to Richmond, then the 295 "route around" to avoid Richmond's perpetual construction/congestion, then back to 95 all the way down to I-4. I-4 to Orlando.

I'm pretty sure that's it....the route numbers on the New York piece are always fuzzy unless I'm either looking at the atlas or the TomTom.

I'm going to keep a travel log, of sorts, detailing mileage times (ex: It's 6 PM, we've gone 250 miles, just past exit xx in New Jersey), stops (where,for what, and what we paid for gas if it's a gas stop) etc. If you want, I'll post it at some point.

I'm coming from NW CT, so....

Rte 8 south, to I 84 West, to 684 to the Sawmill River Pkway to 287W to Garden State Parkway South, to Jersey Pike, to I 95......95 to Richmond, then the 295 "route around" to avoid Richmond's perpetual construction/congestion, then back to 95 all the way down to I-4. I-4 to Orlando.

I'm pretty sure that's it....the route numbers on the New York piece are always fuzzy unless I'm either looking at the atlas or the TomTom.

I'm going to keep a travel log, of sorts, detailing mileage times (ex: It's 6 PM, we've gone 250 miles, just past exit xx in New Jersey), stops (where,for what, and what we paid for gas if it's a gas stop) etc. If you want, I'll post it at some point.

I assume that because of your Thursday departure (and the time) that you have to take the 295 around Richmond. But it's not necessary if you drive on Sunday, especially early in the day. Try it sometime.

Yes, maintain that travel log and be kind enough to share. We've been keeping detailed notes since our first drive in 2002.

Drive safely and have a great time!

I live near the PA Turnpike, so I take the PA Turnpike to I-95 South... and I don't get off I-95 until I reach I-4 :-)

Yes, we're quite familiar with your route. Once you're on I-95, well, "it's all downhill from there!"

Since you and pilferk from Connecticut are travelling on the same day, we did a recent check of the Orlando area weather. Since Friday (with its periodic Florida showers) will also be a travel day, your first full day at WDW on Saturday will mark the beginning of four consective sunny days in which the temperature will increase steadily to the low 80s!

Enjoy!

I assume that because of your Thursday departure (and the time) that you have to take the 295 around Richmond. But it's not necessary if you drive on Sunday, especially early in the day. Try it sometime.

Yes, maintain that travel log and be kind enough to share. We've been keeping detailed notes since our first drive in 2002.

Drive safely and have a great time!

Exactly. We typicall travel during the week....during the day, it's congested and at night there's perpetual construction....so we just avoid 95 through Richmond altogether.

I might try it on the return trip...but it's a Friday night. Any idea if the construction is on Friday night, too?

So, we couldn't sleep.... so instead of 11pm we are leaving NOW!!!!!!!!!!! :banana: :banana: :banana: :mickeyjum :mickeyjum :mickeyjum

Take care!!

Exactly. We typicall travel during the week....during the day, it's congested and at night there's perpetual construction....so we just avoid 95 through Richmond altogether.

I might try it on the return trip...but it's a Friday night. Any idea if the construction is on Friday night, too?

We have never driven in those areas on a Friday night but we assume that construction continues. And then you have to contend with DC and Baltimore. In any event, nothing is particularly pleasant about that lengthy return trip.

BTW: Is this message originating "on the road" to WDW?

We have never driven in those areas on a Friday night but we assume that construction continues. And then you have to contend with DC and Baltimore. In any event, nothing is particularly pleasant about that lengthy return trip.

BTW: Is this message originating "on the road" to WDW?

Nope, but this one is orgininating FROM WDW. :)

Trip wasn't too bad. Jersey took longer than I expected (6 hours from CT to the Jersey border). It took JUST under 22 hours with meal, bathroom (LOTS of those for the kids), and gas stops. Also stopped about 6 AM-ish for a 30 minute cat nap just north of the FLORIDA border. Kids wanted to stretch and I wanted to let the sun come up because the dawn driving was driving me nuts and making my eyes buggy.

We left CT at 2:30 PM on Thursday and pulled into hour hotel at 12:30 PM on Friday. Not too shabby.

We're going to make a stop on the way home, which will make it take a bit longer, but a bit easier, too.

Our ONE and only miscalculation: We thought for sure the kids would pass out and sleep for most of the night time piece of the drive. Boooooooy, were we wrong. They were up, pretty much, all night. MAYBE they got 2 or 3 hours, tops. Ditto on my wife, who couldn't sleep because...well...the kids were awake. :)

Nope, but this one is orgininating FROM WDW. :)

We're going to make a stop on the way home, which will make it take a bit longer, but a bit easier, too.

Thanks for the details on your sojourn!
BTW: It is against the "rules" to discuss or mention trips home while at WDW!
Enjoy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter