• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

For 2,000+ mile round-trip drivers only!

Status
Not open for further replies.
We drive to Disney!!! About 3300 roundtrip from Minneapolis. It's a wonderful drive, just my husband and I.

Nothing can compare to seeing those "We Bare All" signs...that's when you know you're getting close! LOL!

OH my gosh, that's our inside joke, too! That is so funny. We drive from around Chicago, about 2400 round trip and LOVE IT!!! Most people think we're nuts, especially since we drive through, but we have such a blast.

However, we're putting that on hold for a while; we just had a baby and driving 2400 miles will not be the funnest thing in the world. :rotfl:

OH my gosh, that's our inside joke, too! That is so funny. We drive from around Chicago, about 2400 round trip and LOVE IT!!! Most people think we're nuts, especially since we drive through, but we have such a blast.

However, we're putting that on hold for a while; we just had a baby and driving 2400 miles will not be the funnest thing in the world. :rotfl:

All the best to you and yours as you celebrate your baby! :cheer2:

It's just a matter of time before all of you make the next 2,000+ mile round trip drive!

Next month, we'll be taking that awesome drive again!

exit 14A NJTP to WDW first time all the way. We did HHI SC 3 times whats 5 more hours. :thumbsup2 :rotfl2:

Our roundtrip total is about 2,500 miles. We've driven it 10 times, and never a problem. I am a confimed non-flyer, so it is a no-brainer for me. But as gas prices continue to rise, flying may cost less than driving, especially if there are just two of us. But I enjoy driving from Upstate N.Y. to Florida in February, and watching the trees go from bare to buds to leaves. And also seeing how far we go before there is no snow on the ground. And the first palm tree we see in S.C. So driving is fine for us, and we'll be doing it again in about 54 weeks...can't wait...wish it were tomorrow...would be next month if the new job didn't keep me from having the vacation time I need to make the trip...when you drive, it adds some extra days, but thems the breaks...glad to see I am not the only crazy one who drives to Florida...some people think I am nuts !!!!!:cool1:

Just curious... why would you wanna drive this far...? So much more of a chance of getting killed driving 2000+ miles than flying.

Just curious... why would you wanna drive this far...? So much more of a chance of getting killed driving 2000+ miles than flying.

Well that's lovely.

For one, if a plane crashes, everyone on board... hundreds of people.. all dead (since we're going to be blunt and morbid).
I have yet to hear of a plane "fender bender."

I can take whatever I want, and I can buy whatever I want... I don't have to hesitate on that snowglobe because my airline is going to give me crap about bringing it back.
And, for us, it gives us extra time to spend together.

I can think of many, many more reasons.

DH and I just got back from a 2200 mile RT drive to/from the World in early January... no accidents, and didn't even see any accidents.

For the record, it is proven through research that exposure to an issue (i.e. car accidents) makes the issue seem more prevalent than it really is. Just because the news shows all the horrible stuff doesn't mean it happens every time you turn around.

Well that's lovely.

For one, if a plane crashes, everyone on board... hundreds of people.. all dead (since we're going to be blunt and morbid).
I have yet to hear of a plane "fender bender."

I am talking about this on an individual basis, so not sure why you brought up this point.

I can take whatever I want, and I can buy whatever I want... I don't have to hesitate on that snowglobe because my airline is going to give me crap about bringing it back.
And, for us, it gives us extra time to spend together.

I can your point here, but then again, you could just have them shipped to your home address.

I can think of many, many more reasons.

DH and I just got back from a 2200 mile RT drive to/from the World in early January... no accidents, and didn't even see any accidents.

For the record, it is proven through research that exposure to an issue (i.e. car accidents) makes the issue seem more prevalent than it really is. Just because the news shows all the horrible stuff doesn't mean it happens every time you turn around.

Yea, thats true for everything really.

I myself love to drive and take road trips, but I dont think I could ever drive that far when I could just fly and spend another day or 2 at Disney World.

Nothing against anyone I was just wondering.

Economics is the "driving" force. :rotfl2:

1. Airfare for five people from Maryland is $1000 (probably more with long-term parking fees).

2. If we stayed those two extra nights (one on each end of the trip) that would be increase in lodging -- either points or cash. If we do family suite at ASMu it is approximately $200 per night. If we do points, the possibilities are complicated because we'd have to buy points and the nights could be very costly if they are weekends.

3. We bring some cooked food and some groceries, all our soft drinks and some of our water. This saves us about $200.

Even at $3 per gallon, the cost of gas for the trip is about $300. Our net savings is well over $1000.

Also, for me, I get anxiety relief on several levels:

1. I hate to fly. :eek:
2. I can't stand being limited to what I can cram into our luggage, as compared to what I can throw in the van and in the roof carrier. ;)
3. Flights have absolute deadlines. Departure by car does not. My family is not good at meeting deadlines. :sad2:

I went in 1999 and have just calculated an 11100 mile trip, Auckland -> Sydney -> LA -> Dallas -> Orlando. Airfares I would imagine would have been hefty (<3 parents) Still remember rocking up to All Star Sports late at night and parking in the carpark while dad went in and got the room key =)

We're planning our first WDW trip for Dec. 08 and are planning on driving. We are about 19 hrs. away without stops so obviously more with them considering we have two kiddos. I'm hoping to drive straight through with dh and I switching off. I figured if we leave around 6pm I can drive until around 4am, then dh drives from 4am-4pm with stops factored in. Our kids will be 6 and 9 at the time. I'm a night owl an am usually up until 2am anyway most nights. Dh doesn't have a problem with early hours. We are most likely getting a condo so when we get there dh and I can hopefully crash early and let the kids watch dvd's or play vid. games or run around the condo to burn off steam lol. Then the next day will be our first day at WDW :) So leave Sat., arrive Sun., first day at one of the parks Monday. However, if I can get cheap roundtrip tickets I could definitely be persuaded to fly instead.

I'm coming from NW CT, so....

Rte 8 south, to I 84 West, to 684 to the Sawmill River Pkway to 287W to Garden State Parkway South, to Jersey Pike, to I 95......95 to Richmond, then the 295 "route around" to avoid Richmond's perpetual construction/congestion, then back to 95 all the way down to I-4. I-4 to Orlando.

I'm pretty sure that's it....the route numbers on the New York piece are always fuzzy unless I'm either looking at the atlas or the TomTom.

I'm going to keep a travel log, of sorts, detailing mileage times (ex: It's 6 PM, we've gone 250 miles, just past exit xx in New Jersey), stops (where,for what, and what we paid for gas if it's a gas stop) etc. If you want, I'll post it at some point.

I know the post wasn't directed to me, but... if you could post that info, because dh & I may be driving in aug.

Thanks

Is it just me or does anyone else have an overwhelming desire to stop at one of those Bare All places and order several helpings of bacon just to see how they cope with the flying grease in the altogether??? :confused3

As I am a middle aged grandma there is no prurient intent but plenty of just plain orneriness. :lmao:

Slightly Goofy

Is it just me or does anyone else have an overwhelming desire to stop at one of those Bare All places and order several helpings of bacon just to see how they cope with the flying grease in the altogether??? :confused3

As I am a middle aged grandma there is no prurient intent but plenty of just plain orneriness. :lmao:

Slightly Goofy

Us too...DH is always asking to stop...joking of course...you just see so many signs for it that he started saying "It must be just like South of the Border because it has a lot of signs"

:rotfl:

We drive every year. Approximately 2,300 miles round trip. We usually only have a problem on the roads coming home in Georgia, other than that the trip is fine.

PhotobearSam, while I cannot say, for sure, about Bare All - I have been at South of the Border SO -

I am guessing that both places are pretty similar.

The workers below average in looks and education.

The service is lousy.

Tacky.

Expensive for what you get.

And your chances of catching something in either place would be pretty high.

Once would be more than enough.

I think I will stick with WDW and the occasional gripe. :laughing:

Slightly Goofy

ROAD TRIP! Those are magical words to my family. We drive the 24hrs twice a year and then take another road trip somewhere else in the summer. Sometimes we stay overnight in either Savannah or St. Augustine but mostly go straight through. Kids love to pack the cooler with comfort food for the long drive. My oldest child sits in the front seat with Dad during the night - teenagers can stay awake forever - and I sleep in the back. 33 days to go...

Slightly Goofy

:lmao: Totally!

We want so badly to go into one (it's just my husband and I) but we're afraid we might catch herpes or some type of warts from the door knobs. :rotfl:

:confused3

We want to drive, so we can spend more time together and have more $$ to spend at Disney..:rotfl:

Too each their own! I would rather spend those days together at WDW than being stuffed in a car.

But I assume most people do it for financial reasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter